Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
This company is literally one of my favorites even though Endless Space isn't that great of a game. Luckily the other ones are so good, it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Inadequately posted:

I remember one of the big dick moves in Dungeon of the Endless: out of the starting characters, one of them is an obvious speedy-type runner and another is clearly a massive tank. If you choose them as your starting characters, it turns out they loving hate each other and after a few floors, get into an unavoidable fight and one of them will murder the other.

But it's such an awesome dick move and really adds the lore. I don't know many games that'd have the balls to pull that off.

It's rare that I care about characters and lore in 4x games due to the devs being obsessed with procedural asset garbage. Amplitude meanwhile has such amazing races. Like ghost vampires stuck in armor and dragons who's leaders swap out every other season due to hibernation.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Not every race is coming back as ES1 is now considered "non-canon." ES2 is basically a reboot.

They've stated there will be one human major faction, but haven't elaborated on who it is. My guess would be the Empire as a military/industrial niche.

I'd love it if they made humanity space baddies in this. Then they could have a great questline for a civil war revolt to redeem themselves! It's so boring how everyone always makes the human race a generic Startrek version instead of a Babylon 5 one.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

I really hope Horatio is a minor but it has a pretty vocal fanbase.

I hope Horatio is a minor that slowly turns into a major as he assimilates your whole empire with Horatio.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Clarste posted:

Tech tree has been revamped. It now has four quandrants that advance through tech eras separately. Advancing eras can sometimes unlock new techs automatically. There are also two kinds of possible connections between techs: mutually exclusive techs and soft-prerequisites. Soft-prerequisites give you a significant discount on the the more advanced tech as long as you already have the earlier tech. The example given was one marketplace tech making another one cheaper.

I just hope they ease up on Tech 1 ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENT stuff. Like a good chunk of the tech tree for level 1 is 100% needed like titanium resource gathering. If it's needed by every single race, why not just open it up to be unlocked once reaching the next level instead of just a standard tech? It's like researching the ability to hit an attack button or use an item button in an RPG. Should just open that tech slot for something more interesting that helps instead of a necessity. I found that I was still researching level 1 tech well into the 2nd era.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Krinkle posted:

I was playing my friend who was cultists and I was the dog fish people and I killed every city but his and he was closing in on a story victory so i had to try attacking the vatican and found that with 900 extra health from his fortificiation bonuses it was literally impossible to even give a militia a papercut in six rounds.
I guess I gotta learn what sieging does. Where is the information for how long I gotta siege something before I can attack it? Does he get that fortification bonus if he attacks out of the city to my sieging force?

Look at that number by the city's size. That's the siege defense. When you're sieging there's a negative by it. That's how much defense will be taken off each turn while you're sieging. If you attack during the siege, that defense is added to the hp of the enemy force. If the enemy force decides to fight you, they lose their siege defense. Think of it as if they're lowering the drawbridge to clean out the rabble.

To be fair, your friend is cultist and they only get their one city. It's going to be pretty intense to take over if he's built it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

pmchem posted:

I picked this up on sale and played the tutorial. I played a lot of Civ4 BTS and a little Civ5 but have never played an Endless game. I read the 'before i play' summary for Endless Legend (basically: districts are important, and races play very differently). Anything else to know before diving in? New guy tips?

Go in fresh and do quests. That's where the fun starts! Also don't do the shadow dudes first because they're weird as hell and play against a few ideas of the game in order to work. Same with the cultists.

I think Vaulters and Elves are generally the easiest to understand coming from Civ? Maybe Elves moreso than anyone else. Also easy on the districts unless you're prepared for the happiness drop. They murder happiness until they're chunked together.