Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
:neckbeard: amplitude have gotten flybyno to do the soundtrack to ES2! Endless space and legend really had some great soundtracks, really suited the settings so well. I remember being surprised with the music for both games when I tried them in EA especially legend's tracks I actually have the ost and still listen to it occasionally. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwNcU6UOEFaxMVCHUYQqWRTXJaBFUs2Qp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Delacroix posted:

The new music they added to EL a while back was the reason I picked it up again. :shobon: I would buy the games purely for the soundtrack

I feel much the same way, I really like the game don't get me wrong but the soundtrack to the game was absolutely amazing, some of them are in my day to day playlist I like them that much. Can't wait to hear what he has done for ES2.

https://soundcloud.com/flybyno/sets/endless-legend-soundtrack

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

So I picked up ES2 the other day when they announced they're releasing in a month, but wanted to know how feature complete it is currently? I'd rather wait for the game to be in a finished-ish state before starting on it; I went to start a game yesterday and was put off by the fact that for several bits and pieces there was "to be added" or "TBD" still there.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

I ended up turning pirates off because I was getting tired of dealing with them.

There's also a weird and interesting teaser on the Endless Space Facebook page called E.N.F.E.R or something similar, lots of static with HELLO HUMAN as the text, were not far from launch so curious what this is.

It's a program you can enable that lets you view what decisions the AI factions are making every turn. Will be useful for users interested in modding the AI when the game gets workshop or if you want to know just why the sophon AI just did something catastrophically dumb. Not much use to the average player though.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

So I'm playing a vodyani game and have a couple of questions for stuff I couldn't figure out. If the system I'm currently occupying only has planets with at most 6 population slots each is there any benefit to going above 6 population on the ark? I've not had a reason to yet but if i withdraw an ark from a system I'm currently occupying do all the system improvements I've built there stay put if I come back to occupying it later on? There's a quest to colonise system "X" before anyone else does, I've occupied this system but the quest doesn't recognise it. I'm guessing that's a bug due to vodyani technically not colonising it?

And finally, I had the fallen take over one of my assimilated minor faction systems which promptly resulted in me pushing their poo poo in, just prior to me declaring war they closed their borders. I crushed whatever military they had and they asked for a truce as long as I gave them 10k gold which I then counter offered demanding all their gold/luxuries/systems/strategics/kitchen sinks as a "gently caress you" to their original proposal. Thing is they accepted! their pops cleared from every system but since we're then in a truce I couldn't cross their borders into the systems they just handed over as their vines still surrounded them, is this intentional? Or is this something to do with the vodyani/unfallen mechanics. I was surprised they agreed but then reloaded when I realised I couldn't move an ark to any of the systems they just cleared of all their pops but still somehow had control over after handing them over to me, I'm still scratching my head as to how that works.

I really enjoy the game so far but feel like amplitude still haven't learn their lessons from endless space/endless legend when it comes to making their games more new user friendly. They got better in endless legend, but ES2 feels like a step back in that regard. The combat as well is really poor, what was wrong with tailoring endless legend's style of combat to this?

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Antti posted:

It's FlyByNo, as always with Amplitude, so the answer is "really drat good":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkSzXAnmAGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDhJ5J9DzQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auwyGnkjK0E

Best part is always when winter finally ends and something like A Kora Tale kicks in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLOpdWMbebI

Here's the full OST favourites for me include zolya, ,in undertones, a search for forgiveness.

I really enjoyed the soundtrack to civ V then EL's came along and was spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Any tips on The Forgotten? They're cool but I am dreadful with them.

Here's a post from one of the previous threads about the forgotten unfortunately I didn't make a note of the author so sorry fellow goon.

Okay, the Forgotten effortpost is here.

Are you a bad enough dude to be Forgotten?
First, let me say I'm playing this game single player on normal speed - you'll have to adjust it for any multiplayer peculiarities there are - most importantly, the AI is quite terrible at hunting your pillagers, so you'll have to be craftier and more focused on cutting the pillage time to a turn or two.

First Steps and General Directions
In general, when you pick the Forgotten you commit to an aggressive game - similar to Necrophages, you're fairly bad economically with ways to make military pay for itself to make up for opportunity cost of pumping out units.

You generally want to go for Supremacy victory - full-on conquest is usually more of a bother than a boon, and you can both save yourselves salting a bunch of cities and relatively easily engineer a simultaneous precision strike at two-three capitals to close the game.

While everyone and their mother will tell you the Forgotten should play a Dust game, the Forgotten have a forest bias for a reason! Other than theoretical idea of it being easier to stealth minor faction units, the faction has a plenty of important Dust sinks, so building/unit buyouts are off-limits except for dire emergency. The early production will be important.

Also, don't worry about having poo poo empire score - between how the Forgotten tech and wage war, it will increase in sudden bursts, rather than rise steadily.

Do not sell Forgotten units on the market! The invisibility is an incredible boon to scouting and spy insertion - sharing this advantage would be like the Allayi handing out Skyfins!

The first things to do once popping down the first city should be:
- refit the assassins and the hero to hold sword in the main hand and an axe off-hand - the refit costs nothing and you get a second slayer trait.
- buy yourself a mill foundry tech, right here, right now. If nearby villages are particularly troublesome for the assassins, feel free to pick Language Square off the bat two - but the less techs you buy now, the better!
- scout around grabbing ruins, as you would normally, with an eye towards knocking out the quest early on - two fights will net you two Predatore and a free hero early on! If you pay attention to the terrain and, if necessary, use your hero to tank, you should be able to do this without losing a single unit. In case of Predatore fight, it is of utmost importance not to get bogged down in forests and cliffs. If you can bumrush them with assassins, they're toast.
- Make sure you have enough influence for an Empire Plan (if you rushed out a second city before turn 20) - the science reduction straight cuts science buyout cost by -20%. What this means, you patiently delay teching and then buy all of Era I in bulk on turn 21. Unless you got a particularly sucky start, you should reach Era II instantly, maybe snatch an extra Era II tech instantly if you lucked into a dusty start.
- - You musn't leave Era I without the Mercenary Market - spies are key for the upcoming Era!
- Your invisible settlers are top tier, they can run around solo without a care in the world.
- Never leave your units idle! If you get pillage going, it's a major piece of your economy, and you should always be pillaging, scouting and murdering fools trying to find your regrettably-unstealthed cities.
- Remain adaptable. You're never really sure what techs and strategics you'll be able to siphon off people, so be ready to make adjustments.

Cities and Economy
- Try to aim for decent industry (no buyouts) with dust generation potential (as usual, Aquapulvistics is boss). I generally go tall, in that I never really exceed three cities. Increasing influence costs are a factor indeed, but really the key thing is that you want to invest in pillage and espionage capabilities anyway and then it's better to just take some nice cities other people built anyway.
- Your aim is to go for early production and set up for switching to dust when Era III ramp hits. The Influence is somewhat important, but nowhere near the priority it is for Cultists or something.
- gently caress trade - it's a bunch of investment and hassle not really connected to the core of your strategy, everyone hates you for pillaging and subterfuge, and you don't even get the science half of the deal!
- In general, you want to set up a decent base for yourself and gear up to wage war on someone in possession of nice cities by the time you hit Era III.
- Having said that, if early fuckery nets you strategics for a decent shot at Museum of Auriga/Industrial Megapole, go for it! As long as the construction is not a major, terrible, obviously bad disruption of your progress, even if you lose the race, the consolation prize dust is pretty useful for your numerous gold sinks.

Science and Research
Forgotten science progression is interesting in that unlike most 4X faction traits, it's neither "early snowball" nor "lategame powerhouse" - rather a sinusoid that changes on different stages of the game.
- Early game (turn 21 wholesale purchase), your tech is amazing good.
- Era II is your lowest point in the game. It is not unheard of languishing in Era II hell while Vaulters reach IV. The dust cost becomes prohibitive, while your inexperienced spies are still fairly slow at theft. You should strive to get out of it ASAP.
- - At this point, don't waste your dust directly, but rather grab another spy and steal, steal, steal.
- - Don't retool into espionage ASAP! You enter Era II really quick, so there might not be much worth stealing right off the bat, until players overtake you. Especially if you bear in mind some of the techs people research are useless/inaccessible to you (racial techs, libraries, etc.).
- - If you play with empire stats on, you can use the research tab (the one that counts the techs one have) to pinpoint worthy tech steal targets and timing. Don't feel ashamed to do it solo - it's great for getting a proper feel/game sense as Forgotten.
- Somewhere in Era III you return to technological godhood. The trick being, once you hit the Dust ramp, you can start tearing through the tech tree like you're a vaulter. With an existing army of spies, you'll catch up with the big boys in no time.

General science tips:
- Remember you can demand tech to end the war! During negotiations, ditch the poo poo cities that would do nothing but tank your approval and get out of the Era II hell quickly!
- Remember that each tech increases the cost of the next one - meaning, ideally you want to first buy a tech and then steal one, to save money. This also means, when you advance to a new era you want to buy out all faction-unique techs before going on a stealing rampage (unless there's another Forgotten player, I suppose).
- While your teching is generally dominated by economic concerns, remember that thedust buyouts are instantaneous and allow you great flexibility - you can chill on your pile of gold and grab poo poo just as it is needed.
- Remember the turn 21 bulk purchase trick? It's still applicable later in the game, in that you can switch the tech discount policy on and off, depending on if you expect to do some buying. Shop smart, shop S-Mart!
- All of your racial techs are pretty cool, with Learn from Others being a particularly bright star - with that one, your heroes will level in ridiculous time, leaving you with a horde of hyper-competent spies, governors and generals.
- - If you're really tryharding, What's Mine is Mine and Caudata Sanctuary could possibly be skippable if you feel so.
- Read your opponents! Apart from targeting obvious tech leaders, you are safe to assume Broken Lords will tech into dust, while Drakken go for influence - try to gamble on a right target if you feel like grabbing a particular tech.

Pillaging
Have your units always be moving and trolling the enemy, siphoning Dust and resources - let them pay for themselves until you get enough of them to wage a proper war. In case of AI, they're really bad at punishing you for it, so go to town. remember you can move among the adjacent hexes when pillaging to dodge dudes/set up future moves.

Be sure to grok out how pillage damage is calculated, to reach the key values of 15/30 - for, respectively, 2/1 turns to completion. Pillage trinkets from Era II Armor, Meritocratic Promotion stacks and keeping the early units alive to advance a level are key here. Mysts are the greatest, if you want some dudes primarily for pillaging.

If closed borders watchtowers get troublesome, there are two ways to burning them down - across the border, or after popping max reduce vision.

The Art of War
First off, always micromanage fights! Your units are sub-par pieces of poo poo number-wise, but all have really neat abilities that you can leverage to great advantage. All three units are very useful for their purposes, with their weakness being you lack a designated tank - and the Assassing are rather mediocre at this forced role. Be on the lookout to assimilate some tanky minors to bolster the garrisons.

Until you get a good feel for your units, don't put much faith in the their glass cannon quality - dual wielding really kicks into gear in later eras. While you're not always in control of the strategics, you generally prefer titanium for Assassins and Glassteel for other units.

Invisibility is an incredible advantage, allowing you to poo poo all over roaming neutrals, sneak through closed borders and in general be a major pillaging and spying pest. Combat-wise, invisible reinforcements are not shown for the opponent on the battle initiation pop-up, allowing you to bait enemies into really disadvantageous fights. Stacks of Predatore and Mysts are particularly great as these stealth reinforcements, as they can close in quickly after spawning. Similarly, you can easily gang up on unsuspecting fools who spreaded out.

Assassins are your bread and butter, if mostly due to being forced to serve as your best next thing to a frontliner. Their greatest advantage is speed and mobility - always maneuver them to advantageous terrain, blocking movement paths and pre-empting units with ranged/special attacks. However, they also require fairly close attention to terrain - even the choice of direction from which to attack can make and break the battle, as you really, really want to block nasty poo poo with melee and not get bogged down in forests. In later game, with proper combined arms, these guys and Mysts pretty much shutdown any backline your opponent might have.

Predatore are a cool ranged unit with a really cool stacking damage-boosting ability. Dual wielding crossbows allows them to basically match the damage of bows, while retaining a much more universal attack trait. While cool and useful dudes overall, they're particularly useful against tanky infantry and a necessity if you have the misfortune of facing a Guardian (Predatore can melt those fuckers real good).

Mysts have a twofold purpose: strategically, they are an utter pillaging terror and tactically, Faster than Shadows allows some fairly absurd damage output. When fighting a real, proper swarm (Necrophages, city garrisons, particularly pitched battles), it's often useful to throw a stack of Mysts against it - the poor flyers should be considered a suicide squad, but drat will they trade nice damage before they perish. When attacking cities, always make sure the walls are completely torn down before using Mysts! Even a single point of armor (e.g. when a conquest prolongs to a second turn) shuts down Faster than Shadows, sharply turning the maths against them!

Strategically, you want your wars to be offensive ones and planned beforehand - you set your sight on an empire you want to erase from the face of earth and fill it with spies, who patiently build infiltration levels, perhaps stealing a few techs on the way. When the D-Day finally comes, you want to:
1. Surprise wardec, with your invisible dudes already assembled within enemy territory to strike the same turn.
2. Have the most far away spy pop morale decrease.
3. Have the nearby spy tear the walls down and immediately jump to lead the army about to do the conquering.
4. Steamroll.

Rinse and repeat.

Remember there is actually nothing forcing you to maintain a frontline like a normie - you can strike deep, from another direction, wherever your alpha strike will hurt most.

Heroes and Espionage
You really, really want Forgotten heroes for both espionage and generalship, with usual suspects for governing duties. Watch the timer on hero exclusivity at the beginning of the game - you really want to secure a second spy early on. If you plan on following the questline diligently, you'll get three more Forgottens at its end, so I guess take this into consideration?

If engaged in a more conventional war of attrition rather than your usual guerilla shananigans, Drakken make for great generals due to their HP boost make for a great general - they will break stealth of the stack, however, but it's not a great deal if you're already forced into such disadvantageous situation (offensively, he'd chill in a city until the very second of a surprise wardec).

My leveling scheme goes as follows:
Managed Torpor - 1 level - it's great to bounce around, but espionage is static enough maxing this out like a Wild Walker is a waste (if pulling a spy, you probably want to heal him up a bit anyway).
Fast Healer - 1 level - yep, a common skills swerve! This is just a pip to go further up, but it also is a buff for when your spies do get busted every once in a while, allowing you to be more aggressive with them.
Whatever the green espionage skill was called - max it out. It's much better than factional Double or Nothing now, and it greatly lessens your pain if the enemy is proactive about forcing you to relocate
Double or Nothing - max - now we return to orange - this is much better as the second seniority bonus, as it really comes into force by this time - we're now popping high-level tech heists for a bigger bonus and have the up-front boni to trigger DoN earlier.
After that, it's your call depending on circumstances - you can get the safety net for espionage failure, or swerve into generalship (for the tear walls-lead army one-two punch).

The secret sauce to your espionage prowess is really Learn from Others - once you get that fucker, you'll grab those skill levels in no time. It also makes governors pay for themselves fairly quick.

Ziema - the early quest hero - is a dang great invisible general and an okayish spy and it's definitely worth it to grab her, even if you don't plan to give the questline much attention later on. The quest to get her to level 4 is perhaps the biggest stumbling block in the questline - so far I think I was most successful at having her lead a pillaging party, maybe pulling out to benefit from a large construction in some city of mine.

The holy trinity of espionage actions are tech theft, decrease morale and damaging fortification. These are what you use to win the game. The other actions are situational, if you feel like kicking particular opponent is advantageous. Remember that city infiltration actions will reveal the location of the spy!
- Decrease Vision is a great counter-move if somebody wasted a lot of time building a wall of watchtowers to contain you - make 'em blind, move in, burn them down and keep on ravaging
- Similarly, Steal Vision is a decent gamble to gain vision of cities to plant spies behind a wall of watchtowers.
- Decrease Population makes Allayi cry. Pop just as a winter is coming for maximum tear potential.
- Decrease Production is usually not worth revealing the spy, but blocking a wonder/guardian/major military production city can be a godsend.