Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Turn off Tempest (and keep it off, imo), Symbiosis, and maaaaybe Inferno? Shifters feels almost natural to me about the whole winter thing, the AI never uses espionage against you so Shadows is fine, and the rest are all unambiguously good minor addition stuff.

The Wood Elves are strangely enough the newbie faction with a focus on Industry, aka the best output. Vaulters, Argent mages, and Drakken all play normally with their own perks. The other vanilla factions come with very serious drawbacks/sacrifices that can confusing or hobbling, and the DLC factions tend to lean into their schtick too much for a first game.

Tip if you've not played Amplitude titles before: Basic 4x actions are sometimes gated behind optional techs (stuff like roads, peace treaties, etc), and just because a new tech tier unlocked doesn't mean the stuff in there is better than the basic stuff from before, just bigger/more expensive. You can't buy them all, so pick & choose which techs you'll ignore. Do you *really* need trade routes? etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I have the community patch downloaded but never got around to using it. Maybe because it was a windows executable or something?

If the AI suddenly becomes competent and gracefully scales upwards that's a big endorsement, imo the most recent generation or two of 4X games have really been lacking in that department.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

HundredBears posted:

the settle-and-salt trick

Please tell me that the community patch killed that, those sort of things are abominable.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm gonna necro this thread, gently caress it all.

Has anyone tried out the Improved AI mod, and how does it compare to the community patch? I keep meaning to get around to playing the game again and am wondering if the newer mod is more seamless and just as effective?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Let me rephrase that, I am very lazy and never gave ELCP a proper chance due to them fiddling with a lot of balance stuff like stockpiles. Was just looking for a patch that made the AI... functional against bad players on normal or normal+1 difficulty settings.

edit: That's honestly the biggest thing holding back EL and ES2, is the AI not being strong enough to be a decent foil. (well, that and crazy ES2 dlc balance issues, but those can be opted out of)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Serephina posted:

I'm gonna necro this thread, gently caress it all.

Has anyone tried out the Improved AI mod, and how does it compare to the community patch? I keep meaning to get around to playing the game again and am wondering if the newer mod is more seamless and just as effective?

Gonna answer my own question here! Turns out ELCP actually includes this by default. Also, ELCP is kicking my rear end on normal which is a bit of a wake up call. I guess not expanding as the Allayi (sic) and just whoring wonders is actually super terrible? I might actually have to learn how to play the game?!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I dunno, there's still decisions on where and when to dump industry into expansion vs army. I suppose in tech choices and stuff there might not be a lot of nuance in multiplayer when a player is "going X strat" and the corresponding counterplay, but for the perpetual short game that is single player the AI improvements in ELCP are instantly noticeable; the AI keeps spending industry on upgraded stacks to shark around hunting my poo poo, and I'm kinda perturbed by it.

I did get a very big laugh when an faction who'd been ruthlessly hunting my scouts parked a stack next to my capital then acted quite outraged when I gleefully nuked it, complaining loudly about cold war aggression. The audacity!

I play[ed] a lot of RTS games and so if I ever need my knife fight 1v1's with mapped out tech builds I know where to go, 4X games aren't for that imo.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Still posting as I'm binging EL;

Why the hell does strategic resource equipment compare so poorly to the generic equivilent? The most egregious example is the Tier2 titanium/glassteel armours vs Teir3 generic iron stuff. The titanium stuff gives worse stats, has higher industry cost (lol?), AND needs the exotic strategics and tech etc etc. There's maybe the narrowest window where you're mining/bought new strategics and so can get the armour tech asap as you enter a new era, but honestly it seems so poorly balanced in a lot of spots.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hah, I thought I was reading my own post at first, my impressions of ELCP where similar. The AI is much more consistently aggressive through the mid and late game, with whole allied power blocks getting gulped up while I'm watching from the sidelines with large eyes.

It was a total breeze to install and touches on a lot of different areas/techs in the game, really does inject a lot of new life into the game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'd be happy to ignore the Dungeon of the Endless remake, except they updated all the steam mini-icons and now EL is all ugly and stuff :(

Anyways, has anyone gone to the effort of making an ELCP type thing for Endless Space 2? I fired up a game recently and was reminded why ES2 never had any legs; at some point you build a big ship, and even endless AIs are baffled by your impossible fleet of... a single medium cruiser. Sigh. A rework would do wonders, as it's been shown that EL can have real teeth if the opponents actually build good armies.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So with the latest Beta patch for ES2, I decided to fire up a game to fool around with properly mixed fleet compositions. Targeting modules etc now have engines bolted onto them for free, so it makes good sense, at least on paper.

Anyways, near the end of the game when I was mopping up with comically overkill fleets, I got a dud where the fleet didn't kill something 1/50th its warscore, and not due to being countered or anything; the beam modules with an ostensible 90% hit rate missed most of their shots. Puzzled, I looked at the replay and got a good chuckle:
https://imgur.com/a/Bxl38mx

Basically, they all kept focus firing the same teensy single-CP ship, and beams fire infrequently in large damage bursts; hence huge overkill. Fair enough! The surprise came at the end of the fight: during phase3, the bottom enemy flotilla had waddled behind my dudes, and where totally outside of the firing arcs, making them invulnerable. Cheeky little sods!

I swear to god ES2 has such an amazing in-depth naval combat system, and it's totally wasted with the weak computer players and aggressive obfuscation :(

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It got updated, the patch was in the finished-but-beta stages for a few months now. It mostly focuses on fixing the mostly negative reviews of the latest DLC, but has some combat balance stuff thrown in. I posted about it, no idea why I didn't post in here.

In a nutshell:
-Nakalim Reworked. I didn't buy/play them before so I can't say if they're better, but they're certainly unique in the way they expand. Seems functional.
-DLC Academy Nerfed. poo poo must have been crazy before, but the acad is still the most major force in the game, to the point where other factions really don't matter. If one of them attacks you, you just press a button and buy an uber-fleet from the acad. poo poo's still bad.
-Combat reworks for the base game: Is GREAT. Shields now hard counter energy guns, carriers slightly nerfed so the focus is on medium ships for shooting, fighters/bombers now work well, and medium support ships have a pile of cool toys to buff their flotilla (not fleet!), making building intricate specialized ships totally valid and fun.

Its kinda academic as the computer players are still bad at the game and you'll win regardless, but the combat changes in particular are great fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Slavery... capacity?

You talking about the neutral villages sending in free recruits once converted? Or getting stockpiles for razing enemy cities? Cuz otherwise I have no idea what you're referencing, the only mentions of slavery I can think of are lore snippets in the Cultist quest and the fluff of the Teir2 money-buyout tech.

It's been a long time since I've played, to be fair.