Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Milkman posted:

ok. is the HD mod recommended then?

i've never played it before i was just thinking about it because i found the battle chest cleaning out piles of game boxes

I guess try it out vanilla if you've never played before. But if not looking at 800x600 is important, then play the HD mod. It adds a bunch of other poo poo, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

im gonna be playing lots of poe tonight, msg me on steam or whatever if you wanna do a new run

Friend and i played through act 1 today and its pretty epic. ill def be on later as well.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Friend and i played through act 1 today and its pretty epic. ill def be on later as well.

oh hell yeah

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm in act 2 normal myself.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
oh hell yeas time for a list thread baby, act 3 Normal for me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm in act 2 normal myself.

Bobnumerotres posted:

oh hell yeah

We are reaching the end of act 2 i believe. about to find a pyramid and raise some darkness? I didnt plan anything on the talent tree, just took it one branch at a time basically and lucked into a pretty sick build, claws + frenzy + life steal stuff with dex stacked up. its a lot of fun.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

act 3 cruel, but im on act 3 norm with rediscov and i'll make more chars if any1 else wants to do a coop run

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

if you put faster attacks/cast speed on a movement skill like shield charge, whirling blade, leap, the fire charge thing etc. it makes the whole animation a lot quicker and you can just zoom through zones. it owns

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i made a witcha nd i'm tryin spellcast for the first time. i will see how it goes.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol, cool

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm in act one lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

jelly. thats some of the best twinking gear there is

Black Baby Goku posted:

I'm in act one lol

welcome

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I played a bunch of this as a Duelist but I want to restart since Imps are playing it, is there a good summary somewhere of what all the different classes do?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

I played a bunch of this as a Duelist but I want to restart since Imps are playing it, is there a good summary somewhere of what all the different classes do?

the official forums are actually really good and have good guides

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
the only difference between classes is where they start on the passing tree. witch starts around spell damage/mana nodes, marauder starts around strength/armor nodes etc. just pick one closest to the type of man you want to make and well, the rest is history

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm nearing the end of act 2, Level 24 Marauder named Gregghead

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm reinstalling PoE because I have a click spam itch, last time I played it was before it got to Steam so I guess it changed quite a lot. What would be the easiest melee class to learn?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guillermus posted:

I'm reinstalling PoE because I have a click spam itch, last time I played it was before it got to Steam so I guess it changed quite a lot. What would be the easiest melee class to learn?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i wouldnt recommend scion unless youre going for some very specific crazy build.

she starts in the very middle near weak nodes and eventually branches to where the other classes start, left me feeling like "well i wish i just picked the witch"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm trying to decide between Ranger and Shadow. I liked Dex skills more than Strength as a Duelist, but Dex/Intelligence could give me more skill gem selection, as I recall?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

if you go dex/int you can focus on crits and gaining power charges/curses for more crits, theres also a lot of cool elemental melee skills.

if you go dex/str you want attack speed+damage+armor etc. every1 has some kind of versatility node tho that adds to their off-stats, you can also buy most skills from vendors very cheap so you can try everything.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If shadow is the duel wielding guy on the character select he's really fun.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Before you choose what character to be, take a look at the ascendancy classes that are specific to certain characters. They expand upon play styles. I.E. Necromancer for the Witch.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm further than I ever got in POE, they really made this game better than when it first came out

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kazvall posted:

Before you choose what character to be, take a look at the ascendancy classes that are specific to certain characters. They expand upon play styles. I.E. Necromancer for the Witch.

they're really flexible and you'll probably find that one of them matches your build anyway.

i was about to say "unless you go against the grain like a marauder that just uses spells" but he starts near blood magic and one of his ascendancy classes is boosting the poo poo out of fire damage lmao

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm just saying, if you want to go something like totems, be a Templar or Marauder, because the ascendancy bonuses are pretty big.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

fire damage totemauder does sound sick

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I went with Ranger. If anyone wants to play with me let me know how multiplayer works.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

I went with Ranger. If anyone wants to play with me let me know how multiplayer works.

It works exactly like singleplayer because the game is always online to prevent D2 hacker/duper insanity

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

it's just like d2 bnet, the "servers" are on the board in town and you can go gently caress around with randoms. or you can add imps and we'll squad up

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i have a feeling im gonna be starting a lot of new characters soon to be in sync w/ different ppl here and hell i don't mind

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I went with Marauder. I guess it's the class to choose if I want to pancake stuff with a big 2h, right?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

poo poo, I need to make a good choice for my one non-hardcore character.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Probably a summoner because I always get hosed on the harder bosses when my pets die.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guillermus posted:

I went with Marauder. I guess it's the class to choose if I want to pancake stuff with a big 2h, right?

Yeah. Marauder 2h with Sweep or uhh the cone shaped AOE one with leap strike as a movement skill is pretty much the generic newbie build and really doesn't need anything but +life and +damage nodes... Even keystones like blood magic or the one where you never miss but can't crit are totally optional

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I never downloaded PoE because I assumed it was AIDS since it's free. Apparently it's not though?

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I never downloaded PoE because I assumed it was AIDS since it's free. Apparently it's not though?

It's the best ARPG out right now, by a significant margin. IMO

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

It's the best ARPG out right now, by a significant margin. IMO

this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also the only stuff you can buy is cosmetic. you can also get stash space but you get an incredibly generous amount of it to start with and never really need more if you just play seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Good killing Bob. I was saying since there's interest in this game again, we should organize like everyone making a Lvl 1 guy and playing through the game together.

• Locked thread