Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

kazvall and i played through act II today and stopped in the act III town, and will try to play again tomorrow or this weekend, if people wanna sync up for an epic saturday marathon or something.

im free on weekends and also obsessed with this game so this sounds awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
so w/ the skill gems, could you conceivably turn any of the classes into a really lovely version of something they're not designed to do? like a marauder spellcaster?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

marauder starts near blood magic and is a few points away from the templar's elemental damage and lots of fire dmg nodes so he actually makes a great caster

you can do anything you want really and as long as you don't spread yourself too thin you won't be gimped

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Class only does two things: affects your Ascendency choices, and determines how much time you'll spend in travel nodes and also your starting stats. So when people make builds in this game, class is only really considered after they decide things like 'I want to use Acrobatics for my defense' or 'I'm gonna go Blood Magic Fireball'

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
An good example is that Duelist, Templar, and Marauder all have slightly overlapping ascendencies so if you're going to use Sweep or Cyclone you pretty much just choose the voice you want to hear all game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's not as immediately flexible but the way you build characters actually reminds of the souls games because you can do anything with anybody really. They also give you a healthy amount of respec points through the campaign so you can always tweak and revisit stuff later if you get a sweet skill gem or something that you want to make a whole build around

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I'm playing Moonhunters, which is on sale on steam right now. It's a coop ARPG where you're the village hero that is trying to recover the moon god while a bunch of sun cultists try to usurp her as the main religion. Each play through goes about 40 minutes and its areas play out kind of like The Binding of Isaac where each branch in an area will usually have some sort of event that will either give you items, lore, or statboosts depending on what you pick.

Events are things like wrestling with Gilgamesh because you tell him that you're stronger than him, telling a travelling loremaster to quit whining, or breaking into someone's house because they won't answer the door for you.

The art and music are really good, but for whatever reason they have the music set to blast your ears out by default so you have to turn it down a little bit unless you want a headache. The fights seem pretty easy unless you do something retarded.

There is almost no lore hand holding besides a quick intro and outtro, and I'm still trying to figure out if I'm currently writing my game's lore with each play through or what is going on with it. It's kind of vague with mixed up, confused timelines like King of Dragon Pass where your heroes and what they do gets recorded with everything else.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That sounds kinda cool

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i put it on my wishlist. i've got a few other games going now, but i might pick it up after those.

also the general chat channel in POE is funny. they were talking about whether a muffin is bread or cake. the only thing i said was that POE was pretty cool, and like three different guys called me a human being.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

sector_corrector posted:

i put it on my wishlist. i've got a few other games going now, but i might pick it up after those.

also the general chat channel in POE is funny. they were talking about whether a muffin is bread or cake. the only thing i said was that POE was pretty cool, and like three different guys called me a human being.

lol

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I'm one of the .6% of people on PS4 who killed Diablo on Hardcore but not Malthael. Pretty sure I never played dying there. Diablo III is real good though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

diablo 3 needs to completely ripoff path of exile's map system and have more interesting loot. it's a good distraction and it looks great ofc but theres nothing to sink my teeth into?? idk

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
PoE global chat is cool. I got muted for 30 minutes by a GM for saying I'm a friend of the family

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

haha nice

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the general chat in poe is raw internet sewage and its p. interesting to punch the beehive and watch people flip their poo poo, really takes me back to diablo 2

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

the general chat in poe is raw internet sewage and its p. interesting to punch the beehive and watch people flip their poo poo, really takes me back to diablo 2

I love when people take perfect roll Shavronnes or Chin Sols and destroy them with Vaal orbs in general chat

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know what any of that means

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

me: haha, it's interesting to troll the general public
salty larry: yeah when i get a perfect shibbitydoodah(WITH the higher melee damage roll), i get such a sweet rush telling strangers that im gonna throw it away lmfao! oh my loving god

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well. Vaal orbs corrupt an item, which can give it unique modifiers, potentially making a unique or really good rare even better. But usually it just ruins it permanently, because corrupted items can't be changed ever again

Whenever there's a new league with a lot of items, people group up in General chat and try to figure out if there's any new cool Vaal-only interactions.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

me: haha, it's interesting to troll the general public
salty larry: yeah when i get a perfect shibbitydoodah(WITH the higher melee damage roll), i get such a sweet rush telling strangers that im gonna throw it away lmfao! oh my loving god

Lol

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

Well. Vaal orbs corrupt an item, which can give it unique modifiers, potentially making a unique or really good rare even better. But usually it just ruins it permanently, because corrupted items can't be changed ever again

Whenever there's a new league with a lot of items, people group up in General chat and try to figure out if there's any new cool Vaal-only interactions.

What's an example of a good or cool one?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
that weird vaal thing happened today to me. someone put up an unique robe in chat, and like five guys were egging him on to do the weird thing larry said, and then he did, and the guys were like "owned!" i said to myself "i recognize that from the forums" as i stabbed skeletons with my rapier (!?)

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Checking back in with Moon Hunters. It's definitely an ARPGlite because the combat never really gets more difficult and it is pretty easy to beat if you don't just smash your face into things that will kill you. The music and art is good, but you may only get four or five playthroughs of 30-40 minutes each before you pretty much run the course of the game. For a completionist you could probably finish the game blind within six to seven hours of play. It'd be a super great game if they made the ARPG aspect of it more actiony and engaging, but it's just a good story/pixel art game with a mediocre ARPG attached to it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

one i know of is that you can potentially get white sockets, which allow for any gem to be placed in it and that can be really powerful, or add a powerful affix that usually only rolls on uniques like +1 max curses, cannot be frozen etc

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

but there's an equal chance the vaal orb will either do nothing at all or completely reroll the item into a different rare and destroy it lol

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm currently running into socket problems right now. i sort of want to upgrade some gear, but i really need that space for gems so i can do stuff. it's a cool trade-off.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

i'm currently running into socket problems right now. i sort of want to upgrade some gear, but i really need that space for gems so i can do stuff. it's a cool trade-off.

The gem system makes me like this game a lot more than the countless imitators and actual D2 itself

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Black Baby Goku posted:

Well, Vaal Orbs can do anything, but a really sought after one is Tabula Rasa with a +1 to gem level modifier. Tabula Rasa is a unique that gives no stats but has six linked white slots, which won't get removed as long as it isn't downgraded to a rare by a Vaal Orb.

There's other things that can happen, like a regular bow could get additional arrows, which normally only uniques have. You can also get a level 21 skill gem by Vaaling it.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
OH thats pretty cool, I didn't know that

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theres also a tiny zod rune chance itll create an impossibly good rare with 8 affixes and 6 linked sockets etc., but the vaals themselves are pretty drat rare so youre deep in the endgame if youre fishing for that lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Friday = BLOPS
Saturday = POE

The epic weekend.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Friday = BLOPS
Saturday = POE

The epic weekend.

Preach it brother

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
got to act 4 tonight

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

got to act 4 tonight

act 4 is sick

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i used to not like it because they seriously overtuned the mobs, everything took forever to kill and hit like a truck, especially in the final bits and the bosses were impossible. the community for poe is dogshit and constantly demands the game should be next to impossible

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

has anybody gotten through van helsing?

i've had that game for a while

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

i used to not like it because they seriously overtuned the mobs, everything took forever to kill and hit like a truck, especially in the final bits and the bosses were impossible. the community for poe is dogshit and constantly demands the game should be next to impossible

I found the Labyrinth to be the hardest part so far

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

has anybody gotten through van helsing?

i've had that game for a while

idk about 2 but the first game was insanely buggy, had crashes and quests that didn't work. the devs actually put in commands to just force quest wins because it was such a common problem lol

also in act 2 every enemy had a different way to stun you or vacuum you or something and it became unplayable

Black Baby Goku posted:

I found the Labyrinth to be the hardest part so far

yeah they nerfed act 4 a shitload in the major patches since it first came out lol

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the labyrinth was so loving huge and one death meant that was it, and i would die constantly to traps because the marauder moves at like -10000 move speed lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When Act 4 came out, Malachai oneshot my 2k hp, 1k es witch with his portal attack and I was like :/

• Locked thread