Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

That TQ thread is spilling into PoE talk so I figured it was time to have an general action-rpg thread.

Diablo, PoE, Grim Dawn, Titan Quest, Dungeon Siege, etc.

Sperg out, group up, I don't give a poo poo. Just keep clicking.

--------------------------------------

Diablo ISO and HD Mod

Diablo ISO
Diablo Official Patch
Belzebub/Tchernobog

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Lately I've been playing this Diablo 1 HD mod called Belzebub. Here's a video if anyone is curious.

The multiplayer client is called Tchernobog. I can explain how to get it all installed if need be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4PfLbMJCoA

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I enjoy the adrenaline rush of almost dying. Yet, dying is pretty depressing.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Also, if you haven't seen this, it's the Diablo: Postmortem by David Brevik and it's quite a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VscdPA6sUkc&t=2s

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

i like the rush of HC but i like being able to gently caress up a lot more, plus hc can really suck online

a lot of games of this type aren't really designed around hardcore, either, and/or like you said lag is a bitch (I'm looking at you early poe)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

d2 is kind of but since you can just instantly save & exit there's no point. less "i've never died with this char" more "i always hit alt+f4 really fast"

d3 is not designed for it at all. lategame monsters can vacuum you into explosions that oneshot you and you're hosed, if the game doesn't desync midcombat

Heh, those save and exits are just as real and adrenaline pumping as actually almost dying. Logging out one moment before death gets you.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Rafza posted:

this is what i did as well, i should give it another look when i can

Its pretty daunting at first. Once you play around a bit and start getting a cool build, it starts to click.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Grim Dawn has managed to have blunderbusses and other antique type weapons without being steam punk at all. That's quite a feat imo

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Serious question, if ARPGs are such an addictive why aren't there more portable ones? The only one I can really think of is the GBA version of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. I played a bunch of the PSX version of Diablo on my PSP

I think it's as simple as a dpad not working well for the formula. Then looking at inventory management and such. D1 psx is definitely a strong release. And tons of people play d3 on console, but that's with a full controller.

Record of Lodoss War would be a fun handheld game.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

I don't like Hardcore except on PoE because their hardcore leagues have cool gimmicks sometimes.

True, and no one plays hc poe to reach the endgame. It's just not loving possible for 99% of players. It's already a more hardcore experience.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

There was a game in development called Hellraid that would have been Heretic + Diablo, first person. Sadly it's cancelled now or some crap.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

it's a tie between arcane sanctuary and maggot lair, for me

don't mind jungle/desert that much, it's mostly the charge bolt mobs that suck assholes

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

PSP, 3DS and Vita all have joysticks... It would probably work best on Vita though.

The psp joystick/thumbstick hurts after playing for long periods. I felt this pain before peacewalker came out on console. Regardless, I think developers think it's a no no zone, and simply won't create a product they think won't sell. Soon as some indie gently caress comes along and makes something fun, maybe we'll see some good ports or unique software titels.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

is it even possible to rush people in poe? have yet to try

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Diablo ISO
Diablo official patch
Belzebub/Tchernobog

Install Diablo from the iso. Give the Diablo.exe admin rights, and then install the official patch after moving it to the Diablo folder. Extract Belzebub or Tchernobog to the Diablo folder after that's done. Move diabdat.mpq to the Diablo folder from the iso, as well.

Belz is SP, Tcherno is MP.

The saves are NOT compatible across the two versions. Decide if you want to play with friends or not. There are no quests in mulitplayer and some minor crashing that's not a big deal. (ex. golems that die in a fire/lightning wall can crash the game)

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 15, 2016

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If you can port forward, you can connect straight through ip. I have to use hamachi. Will provide that info if people want to play Tcherno. I have a level 11 barb, and a level 31 necro atm.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Added links to op cause why not

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Durry without that freeze ignore unique on a melee class was rough.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Early d2 before uniques had any prereqs ftw

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

That's cool cause I've played enough d2 for 3 people.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

D2 median xl sigma is out soon. One main feature is hd resolution and custom maps.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I would offer to rush you on hardcore but that never goes well

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I got one of those eth vortex shields with some crazy runeword, on my paladin. I have yet to see another one drop, and it has perfect resists for its base stat. Too bad I couldnt, or well, didn't want to try e-bugging it in case I didn't get the slots I needed. I did manage to ebug my mercs armor and get him a perfect Andy's visage and an incredible roll on his polearm runeword for max meditation and close to max damage.

I use the Fort runeword on the pally and not that teleport one, that's too easy/boring. Also he's hybrid zeal/smite.

RIP my level 84 sorc that has 800% MF.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yes, now it's only used in a few weapons I think.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Because bots obviously. I should bot. Kinda takes some fun away, though. The whole point is being on the treadmill, not watching someone else run on it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Still to this day you can bug out an ethereal item by doing the slot addition recipe in the cube. It adds insane defense to the item, like my armor is 2000+ defense. Only really usable on a merc or an indestructible item.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

modding d1 to be more like d2 is also dumb. i can just play poe lol

Fuuuuuu you should play it before you poo poo

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Not to mention the mod restores missing/unfinished content. There are 10 whole quests that the author found the dialogue, text logs, and map files for, then completed and added them. Also the page or two of spells that were not added that existed in the beta.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I will absolutely play that. I just can't host lol

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

They're all good in their own way :)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

qnqnx posted:

Which one would be best for someone that starts a shitton of characters but barely ends the game with one

Thats easy. Ironman runs or hardcore.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ironman mode:

Starting as a fresh character, usually with a friend or two, not always. Only being able to spend your starting gold in town, and once venturing out, never coming back to buy anything, or have anything identified, or get healed. Only talking to NPCs to further quest triggers. You can only progress through content and not repeat anything. The idea is to play until you die or cannot progress any more through normal means.

I would love to do this with teams and have PvP flags active after level 10 and see who lasts longest.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

In Grim Dawn you pick two classes and can respec at any time. So it's a bit more open ended. PoE is more about figuring out a niche and building on it over time.

When I'm unsure of what class/build to do, I think of what I want to do and find the class(es) that work for that. My suggestion for hardcore when you have altitis is because it quickly solidifies what you are good at, and what works, and solves the problem of alts entirely because you dead son.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 16, 2016

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Milkman posted:

does d1 run on w10

The HD mod is pretty easy to run. You might need a color fix or something if you plan to do just vanilla.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Milkman posted:

ok. is the HD mod recommended then?

i've never played it before i was just thinking about it because i found the battle chest cleaning out piles of game boxes

I guess try it out vanilla if you've never played before. But if not looking at 800x600 is important, then play the HD mod. It adds a bunch of other poo poo, too.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Before you choose what character to be, take a look at the ascendancy classes that are specific to certain characters. They expand upon play styles. I.E. Necromancer for the Witch.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm just saying, if you want to go something like totems, be a Templar or Marauder, because the ascendancy bonuses are pretty big.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

fire damage totemauder does sound sick

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

poo poo, I need to make a good choice for my one non-hardcore character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Probably a summoner because I always get hosed on the harder bosses when my pets die.

• Locked thread