Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kazvall posted:

I think it's as simple as a dpad not working well for the formula. Then looking at inventory management and such. D1 psx is definitely a strong release. And tons of people play d3 on console, but that's with a full controller.

Record of Lodoss War would be a fun handheld game.

there's also the fact that most phones are actually pretty poo poo in terms of real horsepower, and almost all arpgs require a fair bit of crap like map generation and enemy generation. even if you get it to run at a smooth FPS with all that, it slaughters batteries and ask anyone who owned a game gear, it doesn't matter how much fun a game is if you can only play it for 15 minutes before the battery's dead.

maybe you could get away with doing some iphone-only thing since apple all but mind controls people to upgrade every year so you at least know what you're programming for, but gently caress off trying to program for android where you could have a thousand different phones with a thousand different capabilities and battery profiles.

some kind of eye of the beholder style thing that's turn based and generated with daily dungeons might be cool and good though? interesting to think about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

i wish there was a better version of borderlands. mostly something shorter, with like a 1 or 2 hour campaign, much faster progression, and wilder abilities and skills.

this is basically battleborn

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah it was basically like diablo act 3

its prly not a coincidence that all jungle acts in all arpgs are garbage

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Portable, for portable systems. Not mobile AIDS. Also did you just sincerely recommend Battleborn to somebody
no i told him what he was asking

i figured the horror of it was implicit

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kazvall posted:

Durry without that freeze ignore unique on a melee class was rough.

even with the freeze ignore durry would freeze you with lag and punch you in the loving mouth like mike tyson before you could do anything

rip so many frost sorcs

Kazvall posted:

Ironman mode:

Starting as a fresh character, usually with a friend or two, not always. Only being able to spend your starting gold in town, and once venturing out, never coming back to buy anything, or have anything identified, or get healed. Only talking to NPCs to further quest triggers. You can only progress through content and not repeat anything. The idea is to play until you die or cannot progress any more through normal means.

I would love to do this with teams and have PvP flags active after level 10 and see who lasts longest.
my buddies and i used to do this in d2 and call it a nomad run. only we would not return to town after we left it for any reason, unless it was 100% required to keep going forward (most typically, end of the act). so no skill from akara for the den of evil until after andy, no mercs at all until after andy, etc

it was insanely fun actually, though pvp would probably gently caress it up at least in d2 just because it could mean that people could get stuck in an act if they weren't around for big boss kill credit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

worth noting that when i tried last year, battle.net still supported d1 as well, so if you've never played it's still a prime time to give the game a shot

• Locked thread