Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'd play HC mode in these games if the first part of the game wasn't always such a loving pain in the rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wish there was a better version of borderlands. mostly something shorter, with like a 1 or 2 hour campaign, much faster progression, and wilder abilities and skills.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

sword_man.gif posted:

really the only reason i don't play poe more is they still make you do the story 3 times before opening up their version of d3 rifts and my dream arpg is enter dungeon -> click monster -> get loot

it's always act 2 that stops me because the jungle sucks

that's another thing my dream ARPG would have: a story that only happens once, and then you can choose whether or not to do it after that.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
like, a lot of these games (even modern ones) have stuff that carries over from classic MMORPG design that was there to get people to pay subscription fees, but these games have never had subscription fees, so just get rid of that poo poo

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
D1 was actually pretty perfect in terms of that, but I think that's just because it has such a thin story.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kazvall posted:

Durry without that freeze ignore unique on a melee class was rough.

another reason i hate vanilla d2 in retrospect: so much of the high level game relies on runewords and uniques that couldn't possibly exist at scale w/out duping and botting

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

sword_man.gif posted:

gamer confession: ive never played through d2, i got to act 3 with my brother once and we had no idea what we were doing and just were getting crushed and got frustrated and quit

pretty much every ARPG that has been released since is better. however, there are some incredibly sick D2 mods out there that make it into a great game.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
thinking about playing through D2 vanilla again is giving me server agita

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
/me thinks about having to go through all of the tombs to assemble a horadric cube in the year 2016 and begins to sweat heavily

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
among other things the best thing about eastern sun is how many uniques drop, and building a cool character is really about smart strategies instead of running a cookie cutter build and buying six specific pieces of loot

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
just fought a boss in titan quest who can kill me in one hit, and read online that you need an unrealistic amount of stun resistance for this difficulty to be able to survive him. [italian chef kissing fingers] epic.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

which boss is it?

the neanderthal guy in the (i guess) himalayas

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm half dream, so maybe there's a projectile support i'm missing somewhere. like i guess my nightmare familiar could be doing a little bit of that.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just finished a major deadline, so i'm taking tomorrow off to get fully crapulent w/ an all day gaming sesh. might break out POE for that purpose.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i played through the first handful of quests in act 1. it's fun! i'm running a duelist, and the materia style skill gems are pretty awesome. so is the currency system w/ scrolls and trinkets.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
so w/ the skill gems, could you conceivably turn any of the classes into a really lovely version of something they're not designed to do? like a marauder spellcaster?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i put it on my wishlist. i've got a few other games going now, but i might pick it up after those.

also the general chat channel in POE is funny. they were talking about whether a muffin is bread or cake. the only thing i said was that POE was pretty cool, and like three different guys called me a human being.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
that weird vaal thing happened today to me. someone put up an unique robe in chat, and like five guys were egging him on to do the weird thing larry said, and then he did, and the guys were like "owned!" i said to myself "i recognize that from the forums" as i stabbed skeletons with my rapier (!?)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm currently running into socket problems right now. i sort of want to upgrade some gear, but i really need that space for gems so i can do stuff. it's a cool trade-off.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just got to act 2 and was like "oh gently caress, a jungle level"

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think i like mostly everything about this game, but the scarcity of ID scrolls, and their dual purpose as currency is sort of pissing me off. i have all of this unIDed loot and i'd probably vendor it anyway, but it would be nice to at least check it against my current stuff without having to worry about wasting the scroll.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh yeah, back to back discussion in general chat today: whether or not trump is good, followed by an indepth debate about "SJWs"

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

fiber posted:

I think you stay ok on ID scrolls if you just ID rare (yellow) and higher, don't bother with blue stuff unless at a glance you can tell it's better than what you have. Generally with essences you can just keep an eye out for normal gear with good slots and then use an essence on them, skipping over blues entirely.

yeah, that's pretty much what i've been doing. it does occasionally feel like i should be playing with a guide, which seems terrible for a first playthrough. i've been going with what looks cool and what fits the gems i have, which has ended up being a duelist with melee focused skills using a 2hander. apparently that's like the worst build possible according to the idiots in chat, but idc.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's pretty rare in these games that i ever do nightmare or hell modes, so i'm just enjoying the ride and picking stuff that seems fun. POE seems custom tailored to people who play exactly the opposite way tho, lol.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

the game only really gets challenging in hell mode, and even then you have all of ez act 1 to find some major gear improvements.

it's really hard to gently caress up your build. you could be inefficient maybe w/ the passives but that's something that can be easily tweaked with respec points if you ever feel you need it. beyond doing dumb poo poo like making a melee char and going for all the +spell damage and cast speed stuff you really can't gimp somoene.

hmmm, i really don't feel like playing through this thing 2 more times.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inco posted:

I'm about to get Grim Dawn through Humble Bundle, so how do I not gently caress this up

the numbers on your credit card go into the corresponding box on the website. you might be tempted to "freestyle" some numbers, but take it from me, you don't want to do that.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i had a prophecy that guaranteed an unique drop. i got a unique mallet that essentially doubled my damage output, so i'm just waltzing through stuff that was giving me a little bit of trouble so far. it's pretty cool.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

i just got to maps..they really did all get redesigned. this is sick

when is that? end of normal?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

mid act 3 merc lol

[jonathan voice] SON OF A BIIIITCH

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol, i thought i was hot poo poo until normal izaro killed me in two hits. i'm level 36, so maybe i should level a bit before i come back to it. labyrinth was pretty cool though.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

izaro hits like a truck, you need to dodge the big charged up attacks and chug pots for his other stuff.

i honestly can't see how i could do it at this point. if he hits me once i'm dead, and since i'm melee i can't avoid his attacks fast enough while still getting close enough to hit.

edit: guides online say 40 to 50 with over a thousand life is ideal. i only have like 500 now, so i'm going to come back to it so i don't get too bored w/ the game.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 29, 2016

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

if youre melee and you only have 500 life you've been doing something horribly wrong im afraid

hmm, idk. too much time in the dex side of the grid, maybe? i've been fine so far because i leech life really fast, but that doesn't work on izaro because i can't live long enough to face tank him.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i stopped playing, because i burnt out on ARPGs. i might pick it back up at some point in the future.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

small hendren posted:

The guys what made Torchlight have a new game coming out. Looks pretty good so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-juA6WPw7NA

drat, that looks great. is it proc generated?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
eastern sun is really good. it pretty much fixes D2 and adds a bunch of cool poo poo aside.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
agh, damnit, please don't make me want to play eastern sun again

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hot drat

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
having played a lot of these recently thanks to this thread, it makes me think that something with a combat engine like D3's where each game takes max of an hour, and the combat is super fast paced would be fun. something like crimsonland in terms of perk progression, but with traditional ARPG click based sword and sorcery combat.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i like PoE, but got sort of disenchanted and quit when my character mechanically could not beat the labyrinth boss and i realized i'd just wasted a few hours. i guess i could've ground past it, but that felt shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

extremebuff posted:

if you played when the lab first came out, he was seriously overtuned lol. its hard to gently caress up making a character these days

maybe? it was in the summer of the past year.

• Locked thread