Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
PoE may look slightly dated now and just a few short years ago it had a quite limited monster pool. But they're working to fix that which is nice. The skill tree is huge and makes you go what the heck!!! No way!!! But most of it is travel nodes or is worthless on your build so you can just ignore it. You can probably get to Merciless just picking whatever and learning the game before you need to make a real build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sword_man.gif posted:

really the only reason i don't play poe more is they still make you do the story 3 times before opening up their version of d3 rifts and my dream arpg is enter dungeon -> click monster -> get loot

it's always act 2 that stops me because the jungle sucks

Fear not friend. A2 is shorter now

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's only like 2 side quests that give skill points and the bandits are required to activate the Vaal Oversoul. You can skip almost all the side quests if you want but they give you useful stuff. Like don't bother doing the tidal island in Cruel I guess but it's almost required in A1 for the quicksilver. Same for the crypt one in A2 normal so you can get a good unique jewel

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A lot of them give refund points which are really expensive so they're useful but usually not till end game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grim dawn isn't anything special but it's not bad. I prefer PoEs mechanics but TQ with mods and vanilla GD are a lot more fun loot wise

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

grim dawn sucks and everyone should just play poe

Sometimes you want to play a slightly different game. Like playing EU4 over CK2

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazvall posted:

Thats easy. Ironman runs or hardcore.

Wtf.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm in act 2 normal myself.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

I went with Ranger. If anyone wants to play with me let me know how multiplayer works.

It works exactly like singleplayer because the game is always online to prevent D2 hacker/duper insanity

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guillermus posted:

I went with Marauder. I guess it's the class to choose if I want to pancake stuff with a big 2h, right?

Yeah. Marauder 2h with Sweep or uhh the cone shaped AOE one with leap strike as a movement skill is pretty much the generic newbie build and really doesn't need anything but +life and +damage nodes... Even keystones like blood magic or the one where you never miss but can't crit are totally optional

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

i'm down. i love this loving game

also i never knew how much survivability i had until i tried something totally different. my sword n board marauder has so much armor+life+regen that he's basically the terminator and if anything manages to hurt him at all he instantly heals, but my mages have died all over act 3 lmao

There's a reason the demand for Shavronnes is so huge

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I would say a currency stash tab is another must buy. I use a premium tab labeled $ at the moment and it only takes like a week of playing before it's almost full of currency.

I guess if you didn't hoard wisdom scrolls you wouldn't have my problem

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be fair I was talking about my Standard tabs... Who doesn't have a bajillion worthless tabs in Standard.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo. There's a miniboss in the Labyrinth named Argus that is possibly one of the most annoying assholes ever. He spams blood rage and charge and does like 800 physical damage a hit. I had to leave the area to get more charges like twice to kill him, heavily abusing blink arrow sometimes making the AI retarded

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All I got was a measly treasure key

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't have lightning penetration or conductivity on hit so Izaro hosed my lightning arrow guy pretty hard. Good waste of an hour IMO. I got like 4 levels in there

Maybe I'll buy Fortify and just use that for bosses since none of them resist physical as much as they do elemental

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

the lab is pretty easy to clear in like 10 minutes but it's also really fun to fully explore and find all the secret chests and poo poo, i love it. it's just really lovely that if you die once that's it

I have a compulsion where I usually full clear every area, even in Normal. so the lab takes me ages

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think Cyclone is considered the best aoe melee skill any more because melee splash support got buffed and so did stuff like lightning strike. So you could do infernal strike or viper strike and have it be competitive now

Cyclone is still good I'm just saying you can do almost anything that involves hitting people melee and it will be capable of beating merciless

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Where can I buy Portal Scrolls? I'm supposed to be able to get that from Nessa, but she just gives me Wisdom scrolls in exchange for Wisdom scrolls, not Portal scrolls.

You buy currencies with other ones as opposed to vendor recipes were you sell certain things in exchange for something else

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

makin a zombie queen next

This is part of an endgame build lmfao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a very dated game in a lot of ways but it's a classic anyway

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

replacing names with the word human being..thats extremely my poo poo lmfao. always gets me

rediscover posted:

This joke gets funnier every time it's made

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

the scion ascendancy sucks dick lol what the gently caress

She gets weaker versions of every other ascendancy though so you can do some cool hybrid stuff, which is what Scion is for anyway

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

yeah i wanted to make a pure lightning sorc w/ the scion and shortly realized that was a big mistake lol but it's working out anyway, i instagib everything with spark

Spark was my fave spell before the Great Shotgunning Nerf so I'm glad they buffed it again. It's replaced Fire Trap and Fire Totem as my main leveling skill.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

ive been using ball lightning to generate power charges since it hits so many times, then my spark is super lethal. its cool how you can be creative like that

the lab is way more fun when you take it slow and find all the secret giant loot chests instead of going in overleveled and making a beeline for the boss, ive died a few times but i've found some major upgrades

Orb of Storms is better for this btw. It's like almost designed for power charge on crit

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Class only does two things: affects your Ascendency choices, and determines how much time you'll spend in travel nodes and also your starting stats. So when people make builds in this game, class is only really considered after they decide things like 'I want to use Acrobatics for my defense' or 'I'm gonna go Blood Magic Fireball'

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
An good example is that Duelist, Templar, and Marauder all have slightly overlapping ascendencies so if you're going to use Sweep or Cyclone you pretty much just choose the voice you want to hear all game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

the general chat in poe is raw internet sewage and its p. interesting to punch the beehive and watch people flip their poo poo, really takes me back to diablo 2

I love when people take perfect roll Shavronnes or Chin Sols and destroy them with Vaal orbs in general chat

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well. Vaal orbs corrupt an item, which can give it unique modifiers, potentially making a unique or really good rare even better. But usually it just ruins it permanently, because corrupted items can't be changed ever again

Whenever there's a new league with a lot of items, people group up in General chat and try to figure out if there's any new cool Vaal-only interactions.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Black Baby Goku posted:

What's an example of a good or cool one?

Well, Vaal Orbs can do anything, but a really sought after one is Tabula Rasa with a +1 to gem level modifier. Tabula Rasa is a unique that gives no stats but has six linked white slots, which won't get removed as long as it isn't downgraded to a rare by a Vaal Orb.

There's other things that can happen, like a regular bow could get additional arrows, which normally only uniques have. You can also get a level 21 skill gem by Vaaling it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Friday = BLOPS
Saturday = POE

The epic weekend.

Preach it brother

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When Act 4 came out, Malachai oneshot my 2k hp, 1k es witch with his portal attack and I was like :/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that happened to me too. I was like oh, man, my build must have just sucked, so I came back with a Duelist with Resolute Technique and had a shitload of armor and evasion and still got wrecked in one or two hits.

I loving hate the PoE community because of stuff like early Act 4. You occasionally see people on the forums still whining that they need to remove vendor skill gems and nerf the drop rates for currency because its ruining the game or something

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

lol i wanted to ask what unholy might was in general chat cause i found this

but theyre currently in an endless screaming match about trump and poo poo

Check the wiki, but I think that's the buff that endurance charges get. I know onslaught is attack, move, and cast speed like frenzy charges

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

i just checked and it's a 30% damage buff as chaos damage, which is really powerful. but also giving a rare/boss that makes it an suicide amulet unless you have chaos innoc lol

it's cool that there are a lot of uniques designed for niche builds but it feels like they're the majority, like, just give me a really strong hammer or something

They have those but most people like niche builds. A lot of the boring but just good uniques get used for leveling though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

i wanna play path of exile w some pimps tonight

Me too but I got called in to work today so I'm probably just gonna go to the bar instead

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sector_corrector posted:

i just got to act 2 and was like "oh gently caress, a jungle level"

It's a good jungle level

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Then begone with ye

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish could just start the game in act 1 merciless though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's getting that first farming character to merciless that sucks about new leagues IMO.

• Locked thread