Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catalina
May 20, 2008

Izzhov posted:

Uh isn't the very last line in the movie her calling Shinji disgusting

The last line is "disgusting" but it's ambiguous as to what she's referring to. What's hilarious/sad/disgusting about it is that to get that line and that delivery, the director asked the actress what she would say if she woke up and found out someone had masturbated over her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Izzhov posted:

Uh isn't the very last line in the movie her calling Shinji disgusting

There's a billion interpretations of that line. I prefer to think of it as, "Yeah, life does indeed suck" IE: she's back in that physicality she escaped from then fled right back to, and she's feeling every miserable second of it. Shinji is pretty loving disgusting but why leave it ambiguous if she's just calling him a ratfuck? Her disgust is probably more generalized given that she just got back from godhood.

skasion posted:

She accepts that he sucks

Word.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Catalina posted:

The last line is "disgusting" but it's ambiguous as to what she's referring to. What's hilarious/sad/disgusting about it is that to get that line and that delivery, the director asked the actress what she would say if she woke up and found out someone had masturbated over her.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Welcum 2 anime it only gets worse from here! Nge is one of the series that can pretend to be semi-respectable.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Evangelion is the reason I stopped watching anime. While I think it's legit good, the End of Eva is pretty messed up and a lot of other animes emulated the creepy stuff without realizing it was supposed to be disturbing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I thought the fight against Zeruel was the best angel fight. Each Eva desperately fighting it while that spy dude is just chillin out watering his watermelons :smug:.

Also the fact that both evas and angels have bright red blood like humans made it feel much more nauseating. They're are literal tidal waves of blood washing through geofront nearly every battle.

Gendo almost gets smashed by unit 01s dismembered arm and doesn't even flinch.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
This is probably the most concise plot analysis I've seen so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNJfeCtSbhs

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I stopped watching anime regularly around 2009 or so, but occasionally I'll get pulled back in by the really good ones. Puella Magi Madoka Magica from 2011 was really good, and for a Magical Girl show aimed at a older teens male audience, the creepy stuff was at an acceptable (for me, 31 female with low tolerance) minimum. Attack on Titan from 2013 and still running was also very good, and I find one of the best stories in any genre, period. The author has no tolerance for moe bullshit and creepy fanservice, so there's none of that. In fact, when the magazine it ran in told him to draw the main female character in a bikini, he put her in a masculine sports one and drew her with washboard six pack abs :laffo:

Most anime is crap, even more so as you get older, so uh...other than that, who knows? However, those are two I'll ruin my Goon Street Cred* for and recommend.

*Whatever's left after posting in an Evangelion thread.

americong
May 29, 2013

Catalina posted:

I stopped watching anime regularly around 2009 or so, but occasionally I'll get pulled back in by the really good ones. Puella Magi Madoka Magica from 2011 was really good, and for a Magical Girl show aimed at a older teens male audience, the creepy stuff was at an acceptable (for me, 31 female with low tolerance) minimum. Attack on Titan from 2013 and still running was also very good, and I find one of the best stories in any genre, period. The author has no tolerance for moe bullshit and creepy fanservice, so there's none of that. In fact, when the magazine it ran in told him to draw the main female character in a bikini, he put her in a masculine sports one and drew her with washboard six pack abs :laffo:

Most anime is crap, even more so as you get older, so uh...other than that, who knows? However, those are two I'll ruin my Goon Street Cred* for and recommend.

*Whatever's left after posting in an Evangelion thread.

madoka was good but especially in the sense of being a concise story with a clear arc and gimmick

attack on titan was fun when i watched it and i agree on the art style but i cannot tolerate long runners

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

No but my ex-girlfriend once said that I was retarded and wrong because I thought the last few episodes of the series were poo poo even though she insisted that they were genius and that I just didn't get it.

I did get it though, they ran out of budget so had to make whatever the gently caress that poo poo was instead of End of Eva.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Chrs Gry posted:

No but my ex-girlfriend once said that I was retarded and wrong because I thought the last few episodes of the series were poo poo even though she insisted that they were genius and that I just didn't get it.

I did get it though, they ran out of budget so had to make whatever the gently caress that poo poo was instead of End of Eva.

congrats on your juvenile refusal to engage with or in introspective analysis

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The last episodes were really boring and lame but the Congratulations ending was an actually decent way to end the series, much more so than whatever the poo poo EoE was.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The last two episodes aren't so much cheap as poo poo as they are rushed as poo poo. They were way behind schedule for the whole second half of the series. If I recall Masayuki or someone drew pretty much all of episode 24 on his own and then biked the film over to the tv station literally hours before it was supposed to air.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I heard that their budget got unexpectedly slashed due to some bigshot getting piss about the episode in which Unit 01 goes unleashed ULTRA-VIOLENCE upon the rouge EVA that the kid from Shinji's class was in.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZKq1HqZuvw

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
that was my intro to both evangelion and rammstein when I was like 14 and boy what a time it was to be alive

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I heard that their budget got unexpectedly slashed due to some bigshot getting piss about the episode in which Unit 01 goes unleashed ULTRA-VIOLENCE upon the rouge EVA that the kid from Shinji's class was in.

That's cause they got fined.

americong
May 29, 2013

rewatching because of this thread, the series is very different when you aren't watching it in the middle of crippling depression

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yes it is.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
The best episode is the one where Asuka and Shinji play DDR and then double team that angel while classical music plays

XenophobicAirport
Dec 15, 2007

Please have your weapons prepared at the terminal.
Evangelion is a really poorly explained show and additional critical info the fans have gotten after it released makes it less confusing. 8 pages in, I'll bite:

The Dennis System posted:

1 - What are the angels and what are their goals?

In Evangelion, an ancient alien race creates life by tossing seeds of life across the universe in the form of moons containing primordial angels and spears. Two moons end up on the same planet by accident, one containing Adam (which floats around the Earth, the white moon) and the black moon containing Lilith (in NERV HQ that flies out in EoE during third impact) The angels, accidentally being on the same planet as humanity, decide they don't want to share, as this planet was designated for them, and want to wipe humanity off of Earth by initiating an impact by doing something with Adam. They think Adam is in the basement of NERV, but Lilith is actually in NERV's basement. This is why Kaworu is confused when he actually gets there and finds Lilith.

quote:

2 - What are the Evas?

Evas are robotically-engineered clones of Adam designed for destroying the angels when they decide to wake up. A "fight fire with fire" sort of thing. They are made by cloning Adam, inserting a human soul into them and then engineering robotic elements into them to keep controlled.

quote:

3 - Who is Lillith?

A primordial being to create life. She comes from the black moon and humanity comes from her. She's locked in the basement of NERV and is being used for various things at once.

quote:

4 - Who is Adam?

A primordial being to create life. He comes from the white moon and the angels come from him. His body was condensed into a lizard-looking thing during second impact and ends up in Gendo's hand.

quote:

5 - What is Seele and what are it's goals?

Seele is like Evangelion Illuminati and is made up of powerful leaders from around the world. They want to initiate the "Instrumentality of Humanity" Project because they think humanity has reached an evolutionary dead end. By initiating third impact using the body of Lilith, they want to combine humanity into one being (tang water) so that people can truly embrace and understand each other.

quote:

6 - What is NERV and what are it's goals?

NERV is an organisation that was founded to realize Seele's ambitions. It was founded to combat those pesky children of Adam using the Evas when they awakened and tried to destroy humanity and then initiate the instrumentality of humanity on Seele's terms.

quote:

7 - What is Gendo's goal?

Gendo lost his wife, Yui, during an experiment with prototype Eva units. Specifically, the building of Eva-01, where her soul ends up trapped in it. From then he switched from working for Seele's ambitions to his own ambitions of using instrumentality as a means to reunite with her. To do this he cloned Yui somehow using her DNA and the soul of Lilith, now vegetate in the basement of NERV, the result was Rei. He was then going to merge Adam and Lilith together using Rei and the condensed version of Adam that was created during second impact, which he put in his hand. Only Rei gets tired of his poo poo in the end and removes control of instrumentality from him, handing it over to Shinji.

quote:

8 - Why is the final Angel a humanoid? All the other Angels are giant, super-monsters, so why does this Angel suddenly look like a human?

That's Kaworu. He was made during second impact and contains the soul of Adam, similar to the way that was used to make Rei, only using some of Adam and an unknown human donor. He was sent to NERV by Seele to try and initiate a third impact on their terms as they suspected at this point Gendo was planning to undermine them, only Adam's body isn't in the basement of NERV like he thought it would be. Failing that, Seele just bombed the place into oblivion in End of Eva.

quote:

9 - What was the purpose of the Impacts?

A cleansing cataclysm designed to make way for new life on a planet, removing any existing life.

:effort:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

that was my intro to both evangelion and rammstein when I was like 14 and boy what a time it was to be alive

Same for me

Catalina
May 20, 2008

XenophobicAirport posted:

Gendo lost his wife, Yui, during an experiment with prototype Eva units. Specifically, the building of Eva-01, where her soul ends up trapped in it. From then he switched from working for Seele's ambitions to his own ambitions of using instrumentality as a means to reunite with her. To do this he cloned Yui somehow using her DNA and the soul of Lilith, now vegetate in the basement of NERV, the result was Rei. He was then going to merge Adam and Lilith together using Rei and the condensed version of Adam that was created during second impact, which he put in his hand. Only Rei gets tired of his poo poo in the end and removes control of instrumentality from him, handing it over to Shinji.

I always loved that Gendo was such a failure of a human being in that he was so was so loving obsessed with his wife that he loved an alien genetics-infused clone of her, unlike the actual human child they created that had half of his genetics.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Evangelion is a really poorly explained show and additional critical info the fans have gotten after it released makes it less confusing. 8 pages in, I'll bite:

In Evangelion, an ancient alien race creates life by tossing seeds of life across the universe in the form of moons containing primordial angels and spears. Two moons end up on the same planet by accident, one containing Adam (which floats around the Earth, the white moon) and the black moon containing Lilith (in NERV HQ that flies out in EoE during third impact) The angels, accidentally being on the same planet as humanity, decide they don't want to share, as this planet was designated for them, and want to wipe humanity off of Earth by initiating an impact by doing something with Adam. They think Adam is in the basement of NERV, but Lilith is actually in NERV's basement. This is why Kaworu is confused when he actually gets there and finds Lilith.

Evas are robotically-engineered clones of Adam designed for destroying the angels when they decide to wake up. A "fight fire with fire" sort of thing. They are made by cloning Adam, inserting a human soul into them and then engineering robotic elements into them to keep controlled.

A primordial being to create life. She comes from the black moon and humanity comes from her. She's locked in the basement of NERV and is being used for various things at once.

A primordial being to create life. He comes from the white moon and the angels come from him. His body was condensed into a lizard-looking thing during second impact and ends up in Gendo's hand.

Seele is like Evangelion Illuminati and is made up of powerful leaders from around the world. They want to initiate the "Instrumentality of Humanity" Project because they think humanity has reached an evolutionary dead end. By initiating third impact using the body of Lilith, they want to combine humanity into one being (tang water) so that people can truly embrace and understand each other.

NERV is an organisation that was founded to realize Seele's ambitions. It was founded to combat those pesky children of Adam using the Evas when they awakened and tried to destroy humanity and then initiate the instrumentality of humanity on Seele's terms.

That's Kaworu. He was made during second impact and contains the soul of Adam, similar to the way that was used to make Rei, only using some of Adam and an unknown human donor. He was sent to NERV by Seele to try and initiate a third impact on their terms as they suspected at this point Gendo was planning to undermine them, only Adam's body isn't in the basement of NERV like he thought it would be. Failing that, Seele just bombed the place into oblivion in End of Eva.

A cleansing cataclysm designed to make way for new life on a planet, removing any existing life.

:effort:

Interesting. Although some of this contradicts what Nathilus said earlier. He claimed that the Angels weren't trying to destroy humanity but were just trying to get Adam away from NERV and Seele so that they would stop messing with it and causing impacts.

Adam being shrunk down is very weird. I have no memory of Gendo holding Adam in his hand, although I easily could have missed that. And wasn't Adam's body still on the moon?

So Gendo's plan would only reunite himself and his wife into one being and the rest of humanity would not be included? Or all of humanity would be included in Gendo's instrumentality, and the only difference between Gendo's and Seele's instrumentality would be the inclusion of Gendo's wife?

XenophobicAirport
Dec 15, 2007

The Dennis System posted:

Interesting. Although some of this contradicts what Nathilus said earlier. He claimed that the Angels weren't trying to destroy humanity but were just trying to get Adam away from NERV and Seele so that they would stop messing with it and causing impacts.

Adam being shrunk down is very weird. I have no memory of Gendo holding Adam in his hand, although I easily could have missed that. And wasn't Adam's body still on the moon?

Here's the condensed version of Adam's body in Gendo's hand:

Here it is in the suitcase that gets handed to Gendo in his office:

Second impact was artificially initiated to create this and separate Adam's soul from his body. Seele then covered it up by manipulating the world into believing it was a meteor that impacted Earth.

quote:

So Gendo's plan would only reunite himself and his wife into one being and the rest of humanity would not be included? Or all of humanity would be included in Gendo's instrumentality, and the only difference between Gendo's and Seele's instrumentality would be the inclusion of Gendo's wife?

Not sure about this one, but regardless the result probably wouldn't have been good for everyone else.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The angels don't seem to have concrete or explicable motivations except a drive to return to Adam, their mother. Even Kaworu, who could be mistaken for a human behaviorally, descends to Terminal Dogma to search for Adam the moment he gets a chance. It's not that he doesn't care about humanity getting killed off by his actions, he is just compelled to do it anyway. It ties into the larger theme about how humans seek extinction/return to the womb.

Adam was reduced to a tiny embryonic state by Second Impact. Kaji steals the embryonic Adam from SEELE and brings it to Gendou in Japan. At some point in between this and the end of the series, Gendou has Adam fused with his hand. It's a blink and you'll miss it thing, but it's why he can start Third Impact by sticking his hand into Rei's chestgina. Adam was never on the moon.

Gendou tells Rei to merge all souls into one. I don't think his instrumentality plan was a lot different from SEELE's except for he was in charge of it.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KH2gc11XQU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Isnt this Adam in Antarctica:

I dont think he was ever on the moon. The White Moon is the "egg" of Adam, a transport vessel created by the First Ancestral Race to send Adam to Earth. The White Moon formed a spherical underground cavity of gigantic size termed a "GeoFront", which was later codenamed "GF-01" (GeoFront-01).

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

JB50 posted:

I dont think he was ever on the moon. The White Moon is the "egg" of Adam, a transport vessel created by the First Ancestral Race to send Adam to Earth. The White Moon formed a spherical underground cavity of gigantic size termed a "GeoFront", which was later codenamed "GF-01" (GeoFront-01).

Isn't the Black Moon the Geofront, and the White Moon Earth's moon?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Leroy Dennui posted:

The "Black Moon" transport containing a second Seed of Life, Lilith, accidentally crash landed onto Earth. Two Seeds are not meant to exist on the same planet, and in the event that this accidentally occurs a Spear of Longinus which all Seeds are accompanied with should inactivate one Seed. However, the Spear accompanying Lilith was destroyed in the crash, leaving Adam's Spear as the only functional one on Earth. Thus, Adam was placed into suspended animation by its own Spear of Longinus, and the progeny of Lilith populated the planet instead of Angels.

This is all from http://evangelion.wikia.com/

"GeoFront" is the publicly used term to describe a massive subterranean cavity.

JB50 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 19, 2016

XenophobicAirport
Dec 15, 2007

JB50 posted:

At some point Steele must have had Adam transported off the white moon in space and into Antarctica to kick things off for second impact/experiments. The only evidence I have for this is from Rebuild, which is speculated to be a time loop fuckery of the original where things are playing out differently. They havent quite got him off the moon yet in Rebuild:

Leroy Dennui posted:

Yes.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

At some point Steele must have had Adam transported off the white moon in space and into Antarctica to kick things off for second impact/experiments. The only evidence I have for this is from Rebuild, which is speculated to be a time loop fuckery of the original where things are playing out differently. They havent quite got him off the moon yet in Rebuild:

Yes.
No

"GeoFront" is the publicly used term to describe a massive subterranean cavity, specifically the GeoFront underneath Tokyo-3 (site of pre-Second Impact Hakone). However, unknown to the public is that the GeoFront is actually not a naturally occurring structure, but the "Black Moon" of the Angel Lilith. Also unrevealed to the public was that there was actually another GeoFront discovered in Antarctica, identical to the first: the "White Moon" of Adam. The NERV Headquarters building complex was built in the center of the GeoFront, and indeed the entire NERV HQ complex and support city of Tokyo-3 were built in Hakone so that they could be constructed around the GeoFront, containing Lilith.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

This is actually an in-construction Eva Mk. 06, although it's likely either Adam or Lilith was transported to the moon to serve as a base for it.

Don't worry about understanding Evangelion, OP; even its most hardcore fans can't keep track of the minutiae pertaining to its mystical bullshit.

XenophobicAirport
Dec 15, 2007

Leroy Dennui posted:

Don't worry about understanding Evangelion, OP; even its most hardcore fans can't keep track of the minutiae pertaining to its mystical bullshit.

Evangelion is a hell of a drug.

Edit, reading comprehension:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/White_Moon

"The White Moon is the "egg" of Adam, a transport vessel created by the First Ancestral Race to send Adam to Earth. It landed on Earth well over 4 billion years ago, and came to rest deep beneath the region that would one day become Antarctica, under Mt. Markham (on Antarctica's Pacific coast, somewhat east of New Zealand). Buried under the surface, the White Moon formed a spherical underground cavity of gigantic size termed a "GeoFront", which was later codenamed "GF-01" (GeoFront-01)."

Weird, I always thought the white moon was orbiting Earth.

XenophobicAirport fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 19, 2016

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I've found that most of the time a Japanese show is trying to be introspective in an overly-complicated way, the message is usually "be thankful for your job". So I'm going with that.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Accepting the rebuild as a generic giant robot show, what really bugs me is that they changed the original logo. However, i can see how it looks more fitting for a sleek, modern robot show so I suppose it fits.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
:catholic: They're called "Eva" because they were cloned from Adam's body (ie rib)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Except for Eva-01, which is a Lilith clone.

• Locked thread