Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catalina
May 20, 2008

JB50 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtUpWihJJJ4

Watch this instead. More realistic human reactions.

Its totally a parody

Back in my day, all we had was Evangelion ReDeath, and we liked it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPtFxvtfH9I

Also, my favorite part of Eva is the fact that during the End of Evangelion, there are frames of actual real-life hate mail, death threats, and vandalism on the Gainax Studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Izzhov posted:

Uh isn't the very last line in the movie her calling Shinji disgusting

The last line is "disgusting" but it's ambiguous as to what she's referring to. What's hilarious/sad/disgusting about it is that to get that line and that delivery, the director asked the actress what she would say if she woke up and found out someone had masturbated over her.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I stopped watching anime regularly around 2009 or so, but occasionally I'll get pulled back in by the really good ones. Puella Magi Madoka Magica from 2011 was really good, and for a Magical Girl show aimed at a older teens male audience, the creepy stuff was at an acceptable (for me, 31 female with low tolerance) minimum. Attack on Titan from 2013 and still running was also very good, and I find one of the best stories in any genre, period. The author has no tolerance for moe bullshit and creepy fanservice, so there's none of that. In fact, when the magazine it ran in told him to draw the main female character in a bikini, he put her in a masculine sports one and drew her with washboard six pack abs :laffo:

Most anime is crap, even more so as you get older, so uh...other than that, who knows? However, those are two I'll ruin my Goon Street Cred* for and recommend.

*Whatever's left after posting in an Evangelion thread.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

XenophobicAirport posted:

Gendo lost his wife, Yui, during an experiment with prototype Eva units. Specifically, the building of Eva-01, where her soul ends up trapped in it. From then he switched from working for Seele's ambitions to his own ambitions of using instrumentality as a means to reunite with her. To do this he cloned Yui somehow using her DNA and the soul of Lilith, now vegetate in the basement of NERV, the result was Rei. He was then going to merge Adam and Lilith together using Rei and the condensed version of Adam that was created during second impact, which he put in his hand. Only Rei gets tired of his poo poo in the end and removes control of instrumentality from him, handing it over to Shinji.

I always loved that Gendo was such a failure of a human being in that he was so was so loving obsessed with his wife that he loved an alien genetics-infused clone of her, unlike the actual human child they created that had half of his genetics.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I had a Cool Mom who not only let me watch Evangelion when I was 12, but after she had seen some of it, she said that she liked it enough that she wanted to watch it, too. We watched the whole TV series together, and when I was 14, she took me to my first anime convention, and we watched End of Eva together in the theater room. Her impression was "that was good, and a good ending." Years later, she told me that she was concerned about me watching the sexual content, but figured most of it went over my head. She never mentioned the ultra violence :911:

• Locked thread