Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Agent Carter had good Live+3 numbers too

I'll never quite understood what happened with Carter.

It was a good show with good production values and a neat vibe, and yet it just never could find an audience. I actually don't know what they could have done to fix it, it just refused to catch on. Hell I give ABC credit for giving us a second season even, I thought it had no chance in hell of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I was worried they were leaning a little too heavily on Ghost Rider for a shot in the ratings arm, but drat if it wasn't cool.

I really hope the show's push to expand it's audience succeeds. Each season gets better than the last and I'd be bummed out if it ended.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

So who wants to bet that Fitz's VR brain scanner thing comes into play copying someone for an LMD?

Calling a twist now: A major character dies. We think "Oh, it was a LMD! Whew!"

Then we find out no, the LMD was the one that survived, with a scanned version of that person's brain still in it, so the actor remains on the show as no longer human.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

So many good pacing calls. Not waiting around and dragging out the reveal and instead going straight in balls-out with it was the first of many smart decisions.

This show is really underappreciated. And I get why. The first season had me >< close to jumping off-board. I even skipped a few episodes before Winter Soldier convinced me to check in and see how the hell the TV show was going to handle that. It's just been on an upward climb since, but a lot of viewers are very "Once burned." It doesn't help that anyone backing up to catch up has to slog through season 1.

That said, season 1 makes the whole show much, much better in the long run, so you can appreciate how far things have progressed and see actual character arcs, something this show does very right.

ED: Also I kind of find it hilarious that AI is apparently banned.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 21, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OB_Juan posted:

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one that thought that.

What's funny is despite all the people hating the new director, they've done a remarkable job of making shield HQ feel more..... professional than it has in any season until now, where it always felt like they were woefully understaffed with redshirts and it was just the main crew that was really active all that much.

It's kind of funny because so far, it looks like an improvement in every possible way to the effectiveness of SHIELD with no indication anyone's really being evil. I really want to see where they're going with it.

ED: I bet right now that the reason Coulson is no longer director is he wouldn't sign the accords.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Svanja posted:

I did laugh when I saw Fear the Walking Dead's psycho kid as Robbie's little brother in the wheel chair. Hopefully he will be better on this show.

My first reaction was to laugh and wonder if he's getting himself killed off on Fear soon.

Then my second reaction was hoping someone did the "It'll be alright, you're safe now" speech when he got on a show without some of the most :catdrugs: writing I've ever seen in my loving life.

Rest assured, if a time-traveling airplane happens on SHIELD, it'll probably be intentional.

ED: Seriously anyone who hasn't seen that show, it starts off slow and boring and skips all the parts it was designed to show, and then the writers just bought all the cocaine for the second season and now it's also incomprehensible bullshit loaded with glaring holes. In other words, yeah, you're not missing much except a cast that deserves better.

Metalshark posted:

This is a rumour to dream on, since Bernthal's Punisher on AoS would almost certainly be a lot of fun: http://www.cbr.com/is-netflixs-punisher-gearing-up-for-a-marvel-tv-crossover/

Oh man, of all the Netflix characters that is far and away the best one to make the transition and tie them together, so I hope it happens. Anything with Daredevil or Jessica Jones would feel tacked on, even if it was the supporting cast, somehow. But The Punisher can just show up the gently caress out of nowhere and unload with way, way too many weapons, and feel absolutely integrated.

There wouldn't even have to be the dull setting up the characters and how they interact, or the "why don't these people ever work together again aside from copyright issues?" Because again, if he just shows up out of loving nowhere everyone knows what he's about already and the very nature of the character means he won't stick around.

ED: The darker and more violent tone from the timeslot shift is good timing too. While Punisher proper should be a total R in the violence territory, you could easily still do it justice in a cross-over from what I've seen so far. And SHIELD has really good fight choreographers too; not quite with martial arts as much as the Netflix series, but with gun play they might even have a leg up, so I really hope this is true.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 22, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

"A guy showed up with a gently caress ton of guns and is killing criminals left and right"
"Oh is he an enhanced or"
"no just a lot of guns"
"...huh"

"...well he has bombs, too!"
"Well, then!"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

I thought Oswalt gave up his acting and comedy career to become a full time whiny poo poo on twitter?

I think if anything qualifies you for "Go ahead and be as sad as you want" is losing both your wife and daughter like that.

Poor guy deserves props for getting out of bed in the morning at all.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really appreciate that in the first episode of season 4 they immediately visually established that Daisy has gone rogue and is working on her own by slathering on the eye makeup with a trowel.

The audience can just look at all that eyeshadow and instinctively know, "ooh, she's not in a good place"

Honestly it looks like she's become a hardcore goth girl than anything. I half expect her to be rocking out to Manson having bought a Matrix trench coat.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wade Wilson posted:

There is going to be an awful lot of... unseemly... experimentation with that LMD prototype.

Nonsense, she's completely naked because he was just plugging in some hardware

The hardware is his penis

Zythrst posted:

If tv shows don't count then wtf are you talking about as regards ninjas?

Daredevil Season 2

Which was a sad mess. It was 4 episodes of a great Punisher story, a few episodes of a good Daredevil story, and then it went full bore into aimlessness with NINJAS EVERYWHERE.

However it was also the season that made me realize Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a chief parody of Daredevil more than anything else. I always thought it was a parody of other Marvel stuff.

ED: Still worth watching and if you haven't seen DD Season 1, go sign up for Netflix because that was a stellar, tight season. The change in show runner hurt, a lot.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 26, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sticklefifer posted:

I'd really like to see him land somewhere in the MCU. Also Daniel Dae Kim, but he's busy on Hawaii Five-O which somehow is still running (though I'm sure a Marvel movie wouldn't get in the way of that).

I still want them to cast the guy who played the Viper on GOT. I've thought he's a perfect fit for SOME Marvel character since his brief, memorable impression. I know Narcos is doing well, but that guy is just walking charisma that's perfect for the genre.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/09/25/agents-of-shield-season-4-premiere-gets-huge-ratings-bump-from-d/

So this looks promising. I was worried when the ratings game in and Ghost Rider didn't give the show much of a bump, thinking that this was kind of a last ditch to get it where ABC wants it. But apparently when delayed viewing got figured in, the show got a huge surge and did real well in the last episode.

I really hope this is the thing to make people give the show another shot. I know people I STILL can't convince after they burned out halfway into season 1.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I agree. It's getting really old that anyone with superpowers means they're either an Inhuman or a science experiment (besides Ghost Rider)

If you find-replace the word in Inhuman with Mutant or Metahuman, isn't this a problem with comics themselves, though? You get your occasional Thors or aliens or Ghost Riders and other demon things, but more or less, that accounts for 99% of them.

Honestly if Fox had given Marvel back the X-Men you'd be complaining everyone's a mutant and they'd never bothered pushing inhumans.

kayakyakr posted:

That was fun.

The new director was great. Through everything, I was thinking, "oh god, a pleasant bureaucrat, the most evil of all." And then it turns out he's the white Luke Cage. I mean, superstrong, invulnerable is probably the most boring of all the superpowers, but makes total sense in that role.

There are way, way more boring powers than invincibility. It's all in how you use them. I love bat-poo poo insane invulnerable characters that have no quams with strapping claymore mines to their chest, for example.

That said I really, really hope they don't do an "he's evil" twist with this guy. I love the fact he's a bureaucrat doing his job, and with the same goal as Coulson if different methodology - the betterment of SHIELD. Villains that aren't really villains are the most interesting.

ED: And if he does turn out to be evil, I'm calling it now: He dies by pennance stare.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 29, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

The dumbest thing about most super heroes are the super powers.

I'm not kidding. Punisher rules.

God I want that cameo rumor to be true.

poo poo, can you imagine a Punisher vs Ghost Rider showdown on SHIELD? Or a team up, they both have no quarms about body counts and punishment. They're colleagues!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm so mad at democracy right now

Honestly I think this was some loving awful scheduling though, they should have started SHIELD a few weeks earlier so it wouldn't get a hiatus after just two Goddamn episodes, right after a ratings spike.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think the worst copyright problem Agents of Shield has, and a problem with not wanting to mess up the movie universe, is that on the Netflix series they always go "YOU'RE ONE OF THEM!!!" and they obviously mean loving Inhumans, but they can't say it, and they always blow it off since none of the Netflix heroes are actually Inhumans.

It's kind of annoying really that they can't even share some things between each other. Maybe if the rumors are true and Agents starts getting taken more seriously with a crossover with Netflix stuff they can finally stop this ridiculousness.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Error 404 posted:

I just mean that the inhumans stuff as we've seen so far is coming across as off-brand X-Men. But I'm 10000% ok with this.

Pretty sure that's what Marvel was planning to do with them entirely at one point, and still might. Mostly because of Fox.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I have never thought they are referencing Inhumans in the Netflix series. In fact, the lack of references to Winter Soldier, Avengers 2/Sokovia, Ant-Man, and Civil War likely means the Netflix-verse still takes place in the aftermath of Avengers 1. "The Incident" (IE Avengers 1) is still being referenced as a recent thing.

Maybe they'll have a time jump at some point that puts them along the same timeline as AOS/the films are, but right now, I think the Netflix shows are staying in that area after Avengers 1 but before Cap 2.

I always assumed that'd be part of it. Though some things I am thinking about now suggest you might be right; nobody ever mentions SHIELD. I thought someone mentioned how they fell apart and were all Hydra in one of the shows? But I could be remembering it wrong. (I want to say Jessica Jones?)

If this theory is right it does explain some things involving HAMMER / Ant-man. It'd also give us a neat flash-forward to anyone they cross over with if that was true.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PunkBoy posted:

Drag out whether Simmons will find out? Nah, she just knows.

When she started the "She's beautiful!" thing I was going 'Oh no, no misunderstanding relationship drama, for fucks sake, please, no misunderstanding relationshi--- oh, awesome, they're totally not doing that."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

And it'll turn out that Daisy is actually Coulson's daughter. Then two episodes later she won't be.

Then someone will trap her in a distopian future and leave her there.

I would absolutely kill for a Plinkett style review of Heroes Season 3. One time I tried to re-watch that train wreck for laughs, and on a second viewing, the already obvious hundreds of plot holes opened up into a glorious black hole of plot holes. I literally counted two every sixty seconds in the first episode, with hindsight on my side.

I couldn't take anymore. I honestly think by the 3rd season Heroes actually makes Dexter's last season look coherent, well planned, and clever.

I mean for Christ's sakes it opens with a character telling someone with full time travel abilities they know about that "There's no time." It's every bit as dumb as it sounds.

PierreTheMime posted:

As much as I'm sure it's something dark/terrible, I'd really love it if it was something even more incredible and positive, but he didn't want to get too much credit because everyone else was pitching in and being such a great team. I absolutely love the "aw shucks" niceness he's been putting on and it would be a breath of fresh air if it wasn't just a front.

I actually hope the twist is he feels, himself, that he's not really much of a hero for some reason and that he actually is a real good guy.

Unfortunately I am still betting he turns out to be evil and only Ghost Rider can ignore his super strength/invulnerability and eliminate him.

bloodychill posted:

I'm glad we're down to just one lame ghost. They're really doing their best to keep the over-arching plot opaque this season. It's not clear who the main bad guys are gonna be or what the main conflict will be, other than probably revolving around some conflict between Inhumans and magic powered humans.

I am like 99.99% positive they were never, ever ghosts.

I am pretty sure that book belongs to those dark elf things from Thor 2, maybe not, but long story short is it seems to show tons and tons of science; and it happened due to an accident in the chamber. They're clearly out of phase/hosed up, not actually un/dead.

If they wanted an amusing reference, honestly, they strike me a lot like what happened to the doctor in the second season of Agent Carter, if he had stayed in that form for years.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 26, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AbstractNapper posted:

I have to be honest. I am not sure I liked how Simmons essentially blackmailed the director to get out of the lie detector test.

It wasn't, exactly, however.

What she said wasn't "If you put me in the chair, I will tell them about you" it was "If you put them in the chair, I won't be able to lie about what I now know about you."

Thus it's not really blackmail. She'd not saying she's blow him on purpose, she's saying she'd blow him in unwillingly if she's put in that position, same as she was about to gently caress up for Fitz. She did it for her own reasons, but it's not really untrue, either.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

They aren't science ghosts! They're just ghosts!

Does that mean the thing they were being held in is literally the containment unit from Ghostbusters?

Actually a 3 second flashback of them being captured by Bill Murray would be better than the whole of the new Ghostbusters

Gorilla Salad posted:

Are we seriously no longer doing "phrasing"?

OK I just re-read that and I totally couldn't NOT hear Archer in my head, so yeah

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

I like how they've been giving us plenty of Ghost Rider in every episode so far. People were worried they were gonna blow their FX load in that first episode and then just not show him on screen for large gaps at a time. They weren't kidding when they titled this season Agents of SHIELD: Ghost Rider.

I have to give them props, they've balanced it very well. It could have easily been too much Ghost Rider to the point it takes over the show, or too little like you described. They've gotten it about as perfect as they could.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That's wrong. They are science ghosts.

If they were just regular ghosts no different than any other ghosts, that means that there would be a lot of ghosts around stretching back centuries or millennia. Robbie Reyes would be seeing a LOT of ghosts around, all the time. Instead we had what, four to six ghosts, all of which share a common origin, the strange scientific experiment. They were contained inside containers which are not empty, but have strange components. Fitz cannot understand how those work at the moment, but he can detect them. These ghosts are visible on electronic cameras and to the naked eye by regular people and can communicate with regular people. These ghosts can inflict psychosis on contact, which can be cured with a chemical created using science. The motives of these ghosts are not to haunt the living or places where they died or even really to get revenge, but to find a way to reverse their condition.

Sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!

Pretty much exactly how I look at it. The only character I think might actually have supernatural origins is Ghost Rider himself.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Balon posted:

Fish carrying terrigen gases were then processed for fish oil capsules, exposing imbibers to the potentials.

What's funny is in my experience the kinds of people who actually take fish oil pills.. well.. let's just say we should have a lot of super powered senior citizens buzzing around.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

Holy poo poo connecting Agent Carter season 2 into this!

E: And :lol: Mack knows how evil Roxxon is

Hey for once I actually called it. Some pages back I pointed out that what happened to the "ghost" was shockingly similar to what happened with Zero Matter on Agent Carter, if the professor had been stuck in that state for years and years; he was going a little mad after a few days.

That said, I'm glad they actually did it. I doubted it because of the Carter ratings, but they did it anyway. Two thumbs up.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Open Source Idiom posted:

Heads up peeps: SHIELD is taking a three week (at least!) break off after tonight's episode. Election, loving David Blaine Special, and Dancing With The Stars finale, respectively.

That's also nearly the entire November Sweeps period, barring tonight's episode, and a potential episode at the end of November. The likelihood of an even a short season renewal (to round the show out to 100 episodes) is incredibly unlikely.

Awww poo poo. That loving sucks! This season was showing a decent ratings improvement with the digital/recorded numbers, too.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

In the comics Robbie Reyes is not a regular Ghost Rider (He's not a Spirit of Vengeance like Blaze, Ketch, Badalino) like it seems he is in the show. He's just a guy that's possessed by a criminal ghost name Eli Morrow.

I have to say, with all the hilariously goofy Punisher alternates they've done, I am surprised they've never done where Castle dies and becomes a new spirit of vengeance to hop into a new body and keep a killin'

Zebulon posted:

It's not like he doesn't need the money.

I don't want to canonize a lovely movie like that.

But I'd totally be down for a Wesley Snipes cameo. Come on people, throw him a few bucks for his IRS bill, you're never going to find another Blade. Bonus props if he gets super high and refuses to work, of course.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Well let's not forget, there WAS that time where the Punisher was killed and brought back to life by Angels to become a spirit of vengeance! Complete with mystical weapons!

I didn't know this, but that's amazingly hilarious. I'll have to check that out.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OB_Juan posted:

Acceptable.

You know the funny part is I honestly believe if not for the fact Marvel will never canonize those movies, Nic Cage would totally probably play the role again on TV. He's into it a whole lot, and come on, he's down to doing stuff like Left Behind to pay his bills. They're missing a golden oppertunity!

Hell they should just have Nic Cage cameo as a guy who says like five words and walks away, that everyone knows is Johnny Blaze without TECHNICALLY confirming it, because that'd be the best.

Serf posted:

Mace may not be a bad guy, but he is working for the bad guys in some capacity.

Plus seeing authority figures get beaten up is always fun.

I don't think so. If they continue doing what they are with him - making him a very different kind of guy than Coulson and so friendly it's off putting - but do NOT make him evil or working for evil, it's kind of genius. He's a good guy that's a bad guy only because we like Coulson better, despite the new guy having good point after good point.

It's absolutely masterful and if they do go the secret-bad guy route, it'll be disappointing as hell. I rather just have him make the right call that gets the wrong results, and admit that his style doesn't always work. It's a great, three-dimensional conflict right now and I will be bummed completely out if they just flatten it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 3, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mikeraskol posted:

It's really not the opposite unless you absolutely hate "dark, gritty, realistic."

Daredevil, JJ and Cage (though they absolutely have flaws) are so much better in quality than Arrow, Flash, etc., it's not really even close. And I personally think AoS is better than all of the DC shows as well, but that one is obviously arguable.

Yep, I feel the same way. I like SHIELD a lot (even if they are curb-stomping the scheduling for a serialized show and obviously want to end it) but the Netflix shows - barring Daredevil season 2 which had the weakest second half specifically - Netflix has been just utterly wrecking with these shows. Going from a TV DC show to a Netflix Marvel show is like jumping from a soap opera to a movie in terms of production upgrade.

Marvel also knows how to do dark poo poo (head getting crushed to paste in a car door, for example) without doing DC GrimDark. In fact I think that whole "DC is Dark, Marvel is light" thing people have is loving stupid bullshit. DC's the universe that's filled with pussy heroes that can NEVER kill anyone no matter how much sense it makes (Come on, tell me Matt wouldn't eventually say gently caress it and waste the Joker, for example) while a ton of popular Marvel heroes leave huge body counts.

What it REALLY is, to me, is DC fellating itself non-stop about how their characters are the "new mythology," drinking their own kool-aid, and waxing on and on and on about how how uber-serious their heroes are (while they are also the most ridiculous). They want to keep talking about the serious philosophy behind heroes, basically baby's first philosophy class level arguments, while trying to take some moral certitude - then sticking Zack Snyder in their movies to make sure none of that will be reflected.

It's not grimdark, or dark. I've seen way way loving darker poo poo from Marvel, both on screen and in page. If DC had a character like the Punisher they'd HAVE to stick them in a Vertigo-only continuity or something because DC heroes don't kill.

Really the fact people keep thinking DC's problem is it's too "dark" need to realize that their actual problem is "taking themselves way too seriously." That, right there, is DC's biggest gently caress-up. They can't let Batman and Superman fight. It has to be SUPER SERIOUS, despite the fact a man dressed up like a bad is chucking missiles made of an alien planet and a guy in force field producing spandex. Not one of loving thing about that is GrimDark, it's just dumb as gently caress!

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 16, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

AoS is good fun and I enjoy it. Sure, it's no Breaking Bad, but not every show can reach that lofty plateau.

It started pretty poo poo, and has gotten to be one of the higher tier action shows. Their choreography and set pieces are top notch across the board; most movies can't pull off the level of cool poo poo they can do from time to time.

Breaking Bad is a really bad comparison because it's like comparing The Godfather to John Wick or something. They're not supposed to be the same thing. But if you asked me who has the best action sequences on TV right now, it'd be Marvel, both on Netflix and ABC.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

At the end of the day, the typical comic book nerd opinion is "DC movie bad, Marvel movie good, DC CW good, AoS bad, Netflix Marvel good" regardless of the actual quality of these shows.

It's also not to be confused with the general public opinion, where DC and Marvel movies are about as profitable as one another while Gotham is more popular than any single CW show or AoS.

The audience for CW DC shows is a very, very different audience. That's all there is to it, really.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

notthegoatseguy posted:

I agree on both. But as far as tight storytelling, I think AOS S2 is a lot better than JJ (a few episodes too long) or Cage (honestly like 6 episodes too long). Hell, I'd take even the shittiest AOS villains over loving Diamondback.

I think Defenders might work out since it'll only be 8 episodes long, though I'm kind of concerned with them juggling so many characters at once.

Diamondback was loving awful.

What's funny about him, though, is that he seemed to be terrible... in universe too? I mean even his XO is calling him out for being dumb as gently caress, and he's totally right about it.

Xealot posted:

That, and I suspect they struggled to explore the Hand plot and the Punisher plot at once, and both suffered.

Although I agree that all the Netflix shows are a few episodes too long, I still think they're the most interesting superhero narratives we're getting. Flaws aside, they're pretty solid about explored themes, and occasionally go in subversive or insightful directions despite being Disney products.

I mean, Jessica Jones is an incredibly layered exploration of rape culture, trauma, and living as a survivor. Luke Cage hits on prison-industrial injustice, racialized violence, and BLM civil disobedience. Those are interesting approaches to costumed punch man stories and not many other storytellers in this space are going for that.

I would bet money that Daredevil Season 2 was a bunch of factors:
- A corporate mandate to do Elektra
- A corporate mandate to do The Punisher
- A corporate mandate to do the Hand
- A new show runner likely having a hand in these mandates

What made Daredevil season 1 so good was that you spent almost equal time with the villains and heroes, and you got to really know them; every move one took, you got to see the other respond to, and vice versa. In Daredevil Season 2 Matt spent the entire thing out of his depth in the back half, not knowing what was going on (I still have no idea what the gently caress that hole was about).

It also amp'ed up the comic book aspect and ruined the grounding they had perfected in the first season. I never realized Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was primarily a parody of Daredevil until I started laughing how ridiculous Sewer Ninjas were, then went "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The HAND. I get it."

That said it wasn't a total waste. The Punisher stuff was top notch across the board and I was entirely happy to hear they green lit that series. It's just the hand stuff was ridiculous, incoherent, and really badly handled. Same with Elektra, really: There was a point where she just started murdering a bunch of good guys that I started thinking of her as irredeemably psychotic, and found it odd Matt was actually warming up to it.

Long story short I think they hosed up every non-Punisher thing after the episode 6 mark and should have put more time into that, and done Elektra next season (or just introduced her this season MINUS the crazy ninja stuff, so it would work towards that).

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 17, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

I actually liked Diamondback in how over the top evil he was

I have to admit I will give them credit for making his plans suck in-universe as much as out, so I can't really get mad at the show for him being stupid. He was supposed to be that way.

Shades ended up having an ton more depth than I thought he would. Diamondback was little more than a mad dog.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slashrat posted:

I'm really hoping AIDA joins the team as the resident robosorcerer. Robots doing magic is always cool.

Are there any characters based on that concept in the comic universe already?

MCU Vision seems to be that, sort of. I don't think the mainline Vision is like that though.

Spergatory posted:

This is a good show you guys. I like this show and am glad I watch it. :D

What are the renewal odds looking like right now? I feel like this show should go at least 2 more seasons and am getting pretty nervous it'll get iced due to it's bad first impression and how soundly Netflix started out of the gate.

I STILL can't convince some people to give it another shot after season 1 and most every bad thing from that reason got spun into gold.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 1, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slashrat posted:

Has anyone tried translating the binary text to ASCII yet?

It would be the greatest easter egg of all time if it basically translated to "You actually bothered to do this? LOL" or the like.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slashrat posted:

MCU Vision always just struck me as an artificially created meatbag with a laser gem in his forehead, not a literal machine casting spells and performing rituals.

Counter-point: Pretty sure he's got an android/synth body (God Ultron is a blur now) and has a magic gem in his head that lets him do things?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 1, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Archaic posted:

Maybe AIDA's brain will replace Vision's mind stone once Thanos gets a hold of it.

Who am I kidding, the movies will never acknowledge this show. Too bad too since it's still pretty great TV.

I honestly think one of the best things about the show, the fact Coulson is alive, is why they won't - beyond the other problems. That's been a big point at Marvel.

That said I am shocked they haven't brought up the Netflix shows yet, given they avoided the rough start AOS had.

The MSJ posted:

Mace is really what Joss Whedon thinks Steve Rogers is like, as seen in his Avengers movies.

I really like Mace a lot. He's been a well handled character and if they make him go evil I will be badly disappointed. He's entirely understandable in his approach, and his only sin is not being Coulson, really. He makes some bad calls but everyone does. I really hope his 'dark secret' turns out to be something benign, like him feeling he didn't do enough.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

He goes back to Fear The Walking Dead

You sick bastard, I wouldn't do that to anybody

ED: Seriously that show makes regular Walking Dead look like the best show in the history of TV, holy poo poo, it's bad in a train wreck kind of way or we'd quit a while ago

Spergatory posted:

So, not that anyone actually cares but, uhhh... what happens to Gabe now? Isn't he a minor? Whose last living relatives just took the highway to hell? Are they just gonna... wheel him back to his empty house, give him a pat on the back and wish him good luck?

In all seriousness it would be cool if Coulson hooked him up with the same tech they're using to make War Machine walk and kept him around.

bloodychill posted:

When Ada turned out to be bad, I couldn't help but think "curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal." Showing her at the end of last season was the display of Chekhov's gun and having her read the Darkhold was that gun getting loaded. Also androids "thinking of electric sheep" bothered me because the book title is "dreaming," not "thinking." It felt like a forced reference.

I really hope they do some kind of cool twist to it we're not expecting. Like the guy she killed was actually a body snatcher, and the reason she's doing this is SHIELD is already infiltrated and it's the only course of action or something.

It'll probably just be that she's malfunctioning and trying to spare the agents pain by locking them in cells while the drones do the work (since every AI in Marvel seems to end up evil) but it'd be way more interesting to me if there's more going on than what we all expect.

This show's done it before, so I hold out some hope.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

This made me go on a wiki search and I just found out that J.A.R.V.I.S. is also Vision. Which is just kinda...huh.

It's even stranger when you realize J.A.R.V.I.S. was based on a mind scan of his father's butler, the actual Jarvis. It's kind of a shame Vision only shows up in the huge movies, as a result, because man that's got to be a mind gently caress.

A xerox of a xerox.

Spergatory posted:

They didn't though? I'm pretty sure she always ends up back where she started at the end of every speedy sequence.

They really did get it wrong this time though, she was in speed-mode way too long.

I won't even argue it was for effect reasons, because the second time, it would have been cooler to see her ping-ponging to deal with each thing rather than dealing with it all in a single run; I'm sure there's a million ways they could have visualized this (like showing them all happening at once in a blur or the like).

Her power worked in a very specific way up until now, and unshackling her actually hurts the uniqueness of it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 9, 2016

• Locked thread