Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

OB_Juan posted:

It's already starting this week? Awesome.

Over/Under on Daisy "Quake" Johnson (aka Skye) rejoining SHIELD set at 4.5 episodes. I'm taking the under.

I'm taking the over, so long as "work alongside" does not count "rejoin SHIELD". :getin:

god loving drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
OOPS

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
:j: vs. :supaburn:

fight

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mikeraskol posted:

I have no idea what's going on

they looked in the lost ark

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Early bets:

I'll give you 11-1 that Nightmare is somehow tied to the box

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CaveGrinch posted:

I wasn't all that excited about the Ghost Rider plot when it was announced but this is loving fantastic so far

Right around the time his skull caught on fire was when I went "oh okay yeah this could work."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

X-O posted:

Might be a version of Zarathos or Nightmare.

:smug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I ain't the one that decides

:supaburn:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Ghost Rider all Penance Stare in this bitch, looks at Quake, goes "nah we're cool" and leaves :shobon:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mikeraskol posted:

WHY IS THE EPISODE OVER I NEED MORE

Just watch the episode again

I swear I'm going to do that at this rate

I may watch the full on :supaburn: Ghost Rider sequence like forty times before tomorrow because gfd

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
like I literally went eeeeee afterwards like a goddamn child because holy poo poo it's Ghost Rider

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
okay so person who does GIFs for the OP I'm gonna need one of the entire transformation sequence tia

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

that'll do, X-O. that'll do

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Teek posted:

The premiere pulled a 1.1 last night. Not great, but it's apparently a little bit better than what that timeslot has been doing for ABC these last few years.

Ghost Rider is going to personally go to each house and Penance Stare the occupant.

Only those who watched the premiere will survive the catatonia.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
i heard he's ridin' through town with his head on fire, can someone confirm/deny

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doctor Butts posted:

The way this loops, it looks like some car is just casually driving down the street doing flip after flip after flip.

If I were Ghost Rider, that's all I would do while driving.

I mean come on, my skull would be on fire and I'd have to punish the wicked. Might as well get some benefit out of it.

mods please make this the background of TVIV tia

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blazing Ownager posted:

There wouldn't even have to be the dull setting up the characters and how they interact, or the "why don't these people ever work together again aside from copyright issues?" Because again, if he just shows up out of loving nowhere everyone knows what he's about already and the very nature of the character means he won't stick around.

"A guy showed up with a gently caress ton of guns and is killing criminals left and right"
"Oh is he an enhanced or"
"no just a lot of guns"
"...huh"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

Mac and Luke Cage meeting would be pretty awesome.

What's your story?
Unbreakable skin, you?
Shotgun-Axe.

"Oh man I want that power :smith:"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gorilla Salad posted:

"I'm a professional demon hunter and exorcist. Oh, I've started growing horns. Welp, won't tell anyone, I'll just start wearing this jaunty little hat."

Man, you don't need a loving excuse to wear a jaunty little hat. :tipshat:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

sticklefifer posted:

I guess this is more for the Netflix thread, but what really got me about Kilgrave was where he talked about being unable to tell the difference morally, because when you grow up just suddenly having this power and people will do whatever you want, how do even you figure that out? And once you do, how do you know if they're doing anything willingly? Obviously at some point he started exploiting it, but he would've had to be extremely careful of his speech around anyone he wasn't trying to manipulate. He probably unwittingly killed and raped a bunch of people before he realized it was his fault, so after a while he just stopped censoring himself and went full evil because it's easier than dealing with guilt over how horrible you are. Not to paint him too sympathetically because again, he exploited it to an extreme degree, but it leads me to wonder who wouldn't.

Yeah. The overall vibe is that he could've turned out different, since there was the entire segment where he bought Jessica's old house with a bag of money and had to visibly restrain himself from ordering him (until the very end, when the guy was getting obnoxious and wouldn't go away). Plus, his glee at having "helped" out with fighting crime and legitimately wanting to try it. Ultimately, though, he reverts to using his powers whenever he can't get his way and throws what's essentially a lethal childish tantrum, which is why he has to be put down.

The fact that Tennant's so incredibly good at being a creepy, disturbing prick makes his death immensely satisfying---which is still vaguely sad, because he was legitimately excited to have Jessica back. He literally couldn't understand why she wasn't okay with it and the last thought he probably had was "WH—." (Also the "SMILE" line had me hootin 'n hollerin at my tv)

Whole lotta good poo poo going on in the writing and I'm really excited about Season 2. I don't know who's selecting their writing staff, but Marvel can literally do no wrong right now.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 24, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kheldarn posted:

Counterpoint: Removing Hunter from this show.

Countercounterpoint: Putting him back on now that there's nothing for him to do :getin:

Not... seeing the problem? :confused: I mean she can punch a man so hard his soul flies out so

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

homullus posted:

Finally watched the episode last night. I immediately wondered whether the VR tech would be their defense against the ghosty thing, depending on how it works -- giving you something to look at other than the horrors it's showing you.

Only defense against the Penance Stare is to not be a shithead. :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

In the future, instead of writing all those words, I find it easier and more effective to just call people bitch rear end chumps. Try it, you'll like it. "Stop being bitch rear end chumps."

Stop being a bitch rear end chump

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kammat posted:

Oh crap I forgot Luke Cage drops Friday. There goes my weekend!

oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo I can't binge through the entire season in time before Sunday! HOW WILL I ENJOY MY VACATION

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Also, she's not wearing the gauntlets Simmons made for her in the scenes where she gets hurt.

Yeah, this was my big take away. The gloves not only dampen the internalization but also provide amplification and SCIENCE SCIENCE SCIENCE look the point is all the bones break when she zips around so she shouldn't do it too much.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

flosofl posted:

Yep. She was shaking herself apart before she got the gauntlets. She doesn't have that buffer anymore.

Plus it's an established internal control. The other option is she literally causes earthquakes wherever she goes without focusing the vibrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blazing Ownager posted:

That said I really, really hope they don't do an "he's evil" twist with this guy. I love the fact he's a bureaucrat doing his job, and with the same goal as Coulson if different methodology - the betterment of SHIELD. Villains that aren't really villains are the most interesting.

I really really hope they stay down the path from "this guy is an evil bureaucrat changing SHIELD there's something slimy at work here!!" to "the new Director is just a huge boy scout goober that happens to be invincible." They did the same thing when SHIELD and NuSHIELD split and I was both legitimately shocked and really sad at the way that guy (I can't even remember his name) died. All this sinister lead up and all he had was the necklace Daisy's mom gave her. :smith:

I expect there'll be a throwdown at some point between Mace and someone, maybe Daisy or GR, but overall I hope he stays on as a good guy. I'd like to see a season long arc where both he and the old team learn to meet halfway and start working together.

It's equally likely he's the Grand Director and will just go bonkers and start murdering everyone while screaming HAIL HYDRA. Who knows! v:shobon:v

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

But even then he should have shattered within a minute or so, something weird is going on regardless.

He's probably still undergoing terrigenesis. I mean, it took Andrew like a month to break out of his cocoon, and it took another month or two after that for the actual alteration to set. Why this is causing Crazy Lady to do crazy, I have no idea.

Also I'm fully on board with Jeff Mace now. He initially comes off as fake and untrustworthy, but he really is just a goddamn goober with super powers and it owns. Even when he's being stern and demanding he still uses cheesy metaphors. It's basically Golden Age Superman, CIA Director :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SLEEPER HOLD

KNOCKOUT PUNCH

FIRE EXTINGUISHER

:allears:

Fitz should just start carrying around a fire extinguisher like Mack's shotgun-axe.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

flosofl posted:

No. The bride to be was someone else. If we do see her again, it will be for Yo Yo to rescue, and she can tearfully see the error of her ways asking Yo-Yo for forgiveness.

At which point I hope Yo-Yo tells her to get hosed and leave, because nothing excuses putting someone's life in danger.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Proposition Joe posted:

A.I.M. made a fake Mandarin that pretended to be a part of the Ten Rings. The Ten Rings are a real organization in the MCU though and apparently because of a Marvel short there is a real Mandarin as well.

Poor Trevor. He was a decent guy, just got mixed up with the wrong people :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, it's probably gonna be Foggy appearing for an episode or two. Like when Sif showed up.

I will hold out hope for Jennifer far after Foggy makes his appearance.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

spooky like this! posted:

Kind of funny how they knocked out those Watchdogs in the fireworks store but then oops, they all blew up.

omelet, eggs, etc.

God drat I love how everyone on this show acts like a loving adult. (Daisy's emo phase not withstanding) Even when SHIELD/NuSHIELD was at it's worse, they were still acting in reasonable ways you could respect.

Also let's be honest, Daisy is breaking her arms repeatedly because she thinks she deserves it. One of the first ways she tried to control her powers was to internalize it into self-harm. She needs to get some therapy for that it's not cool :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Digital Jedi posted:

That chain grab and whip was awesome.

"...huh! :haw:"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blazing Ownager posted:

When she started the "She's beautiful!" thing I was going 'Oh no, no misunderstanding relationship drama, for fucks sake, please, no misunderstanding relationshi--- oh, awesome, they're totally not doing that."

The way she initially said it sounded like she was warming up to say "Hell, I'd sleep with her!" :stare:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Spergatory posted:

I'd say that's a very sensible place to turn to self-loathing nihilism.

hell that's the only way I can get up in the morning

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Given his expressions and random DEADLY SERIOUS moments mixed in with his clean cut wholesome image, plus having under-the-table meetings with a shady Senator who already knew he was Inhuman, I'm thinking Mace is going to end up having a Plutonian-level meltdown that causes SHIELD to get disbanded and banned, again.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AbstractNapper posted:

I have to be honest. I am not sure I liked how Simmons essentially blackmailed the director to get out of the lie detector test. What did this accomplish? It ruined any trust between them and it's pretty much clear (to the director at least) that Simmons is lying about something or withholding important information. Then again, after the prison break events and the Ghost Rider video, he finds out that a bunch of people he trusted were going behind his back.... so.

She saw something during the interview that basically indicated he was a phony. Since she was hypocritically put under a microscope and already felt her trust was violated, she didn't see a problem with pushing back. That's my read on it, anyway.

I'd love for this to turn out to be a NuSHIELD thing where everyone walks away begrudging but close-knit allies, but it really feels like there's backlash coming and Mace is going to go Grand Director instead of Patriot.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ApeHawk posted:

Yeah, I like Mace, and so far the team is treating him like poo poo. Hope he finally does snap and puts them all in their place; dude can only take so much.

I think he actually expects Phil to do this poo poo on his own since he used to be Director and knows how he rolls. It's kind of like implicit black ops. I mean, he's literally asking Colson "so what would you do here, help me out" at times. It's just flamey skull murder man may be a weeeee bit too far.

The most genuine Mace has seemed this season is when he was talking to Phil about May's condition and said something along the lines of "You can't know because you're really good friends with her and will react irrationally, you know this" and Colson just kind of went "Yeah :smith:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Spergatory posted:

Not evil, just Inhuman and flawed

:colbert:

• Locked thread