Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

kthnxbi posted:

And also there's an election happening on November 8 or something.

Strong move by Jeff Mace to run for both Director of SHIELD and President but he has my vote

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xtanstic posted:

I wonder if Lucy + Darkhold gets solved in part 1 of the season, and somehow the book falls into the Senator's hands or something and we get the usual "oh great a super weapon to wipe out all Inhumans... oh no we released something we can't control now we're all hosed" type of plotline as the overarching arc. So far the season has been solid but I've failed to be hooked because there hasn't been a great overarching plot like in S2 and S3.

I could go for sinister racist lady getting torched by Dormammu in "thanks" :mmmhmm:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Spergatory posted:

It's gotta be leading up to Mephisto. You don't have a character on a comic book show say "I made a deal with the devil" and then not do the devil. Unless Cthon is even more devilly.

Nah, Cthon is just Cthulhu with the numbers filed off. Deals are Mephisto. You say "I'd do anything for X" in a moment of weakness, and he shows up and goes "o rly?"

Plus, didn't Mephisto bond the original Spirit of Vengeance onto Johnny Blaze? They're mushing together a bunch of different Ghost Rider pieces, so it wouldn't surprise me if Racist Senator Lady unleashes Mephisto from the Darkhold somehow.

Meanwhile Jeff Mace just :stare: emptily into the distance as a demon rampages through the entire city and SHIELD interns engulfed in flames run around screaming in the background.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They haven't revealed who the big bad is, just that they're played by Sigourney Weaver.

They're doomed. Might as well wrap up the miniseries now.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

hangedman1984 posted:

But wasn't said family member the same uncle that was locked up and, at least seemingly, is much less homicidal in AoS?

If there's one thing this show has taught me, it's that there's always one slot on the team available for secretly homicidal psychopaths.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

pee out my butt posted:

Ward ordered the hit.

He's not even alive, he just ordered a random hit on a guy years ago and what's left of HYDRA finally got around to it recently

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I enjoyed Mace getting the holy living hell beat out of him unexpectedly and that makes me a bad person. :smith:

I just want some sort of indication he's doing the right thing here. He's made all the right moves but he still feels like American Psycho waiting to happen.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's absolutely masterful and if they do go the secret-bad guy route, it'll be disappointing as hell. I rather just have him make the right call that gets the wrong results, and admit that his style doesn't always work. It's a great, three-dimensional conflict right now and I will be bummed completely out if they just flatten it.

It's probably going to go down like that because you basically just described all of Gonzales' season arc.

RIP NuSHIELD buddy, you just wanted to make an inhuman friend :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I'm the devil on the side of the Ghost Semi

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BrianWilly posted:

I didn't hate the origin flashback we got for Ghost Rider in that last episode. But to be totally honest, all I could think about while I was watching it was "God, this would have been so much cooler with Netflix writing and cinematography and productions." The version we got was honestly really perfunctory and over-narrated.

On the other hand, maybe Johnny will show up again later in the season? :shobon:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DoctorWhat posted:

Supergirl is really really strong right now

:haw:

DoctorWhat posted:

and Legends is a very well-made show about very, very stupid people.

It really is. I still maintain their overall incompetence is part of their charm, and at least they're all aware of it. :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Oasx posted:

It might have changed since then, but the few episodes of Supergirl I watched in season 1 looked really cheap, so I would actually think it was the show with the smallest budget.

It's hit or miss on the CGI, sometimes you get something completely awesome like the Kara/Vastra midair fight, sometimes you get that Red Tornado suit.

Things seem to have evened out a lot since the move to CW since (I assume) they have to be more careful where they spend the budget. Well, that, and they've had a season to figure out what works (martian morph effects) and what doesn't (Red Tornado).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I did but for whatever reason I thought it was coming back tonight and now I'm sad. Seriously, it feels like this show has a huge gap every season and it's really stupid.

"This week on AoS: Robbie forgets to cook the turkey, but Ghost Rider comes to the rescue in an unexpected way. Meanwhile, Daisy continues her search for cranberry sauce, and Johnny Blaze pays an unexpected visit to the table."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chortles posted:

I'd have sat through a whole episode of this if it got us an episode tonight.
:negative:

gently caress I'd sit through that as tonight's episode

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doggles posted:

Agents of SHIELD s4e06 - The Hand Turkey

Coulson's hand gets stuck in one of the turkeys he was stuffing for SHIELD's Thanksgiving corporate event. After going to find help fishing it out, he can't remember which turkey it's in.

Hijinks ensue.

This culminates in Director Mace eating it while complaining how crunchy the turkey is this year and you know it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

OB_Juan posted:

This would be amazing.

"I know a guy :stare:"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I like that Dr. Radcliffe was like "oh gently caress this poo poo" and closed the darkhold immediately. He may be amoral, but he's not stupid.

I wonder what is Aida making with her spooky evil magic powers. I'm disappointed that Coulson didn't push for her to be rebooted immediately especially since they all know how dangerous the darkhold is.

She's building a big ol' magical AI brain for herself :allears:

Strange is a dime store Tony Stark, let's make AIDA the Sorceress Supreme.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

double nine posted:

I wonder what the mechanics are for that necronomicon ex mortis book. "get one free good spell, after that you're evil"?

It's the Drug Pusher Theory of Evil. The first one is free, but after that, you're hooked.

On evil.

halwain posted:

The Portal Aida made looked exactly like the ones from doctor strange.

Lost in all this is how AIDA's magic is geometrical—just like you'd expect a magical robot's to be.

I'm scared she's going to be MODOK now, though. :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zebulon posted:

The joke was that it presents itself in the native language of whoever is using it at the time as they showed before. So for her, its binary.

Can you imagine how much she got out of that book if it presented in assembly instead of a straight translation

She may literally be the most powerful magical force in the MCU right now

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Modified Organism Designed Only for Magic

:aaa:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

OB_Juan posted:

Robbie - Make a deal with a demon, presumably fight his way back on his/their own.

End of Season:

:j: Phew, good thing everything's wrapped up now! And there's absolutely no dangling threads to endanger us!
:ohdear: ...uh
:j: ...
:ohdear: Sooooo there was this one guy that owed the Rider money in Hell, we kind of beat him up and took it
:devil: Sup, I'm Mephisto
:j: OH SHI—

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

OB_Juan posted:

Who says she doesn't? Or that anyone else does?

You keep your skeptical rationalism on your side of the fence, Fitz :mad:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The problem with Mace is that his boy-scoutness feels like a front. Whenever he's onscreen, there's a notable discomfort about him. So far, it's just been the standard "SHIELD Director needs to keep things from people sometimes" stuff. But, between Jemma noticing he was lying about heroic actions and vaguely threatening, restrained air he gets while talking to the reporter about inhumans is disconcerting. Throw in the fact that he literally cannot be harmed and can mash most humans into a pulp and things are really tense.

Like I said, I hope it turns out in the end the front he's putting up is for the good of everyone and his deep, dark secret is just that he's a normal spy trying to put a public consumer-friendly face on SHIELD to get it back into people's good graces. Coulson seems to trust and admire him, which he did with Gonzales and his crew, so I'm hoping it turns out the same way (minus Mace's death). Still, the potential for an Irredeemable level meltdown is there.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hahahaha yesssss, they finally Gonzales'd Mace. He's just a politician with super powers that has to deal with the massive loving headache that is Phil Coulson's Stupid Group of Idiots. :allears: Plus, seeing him go full on Patriot mode was really neat.

Did not see May LMD already being in the field coming. I wanted Aida to be a good sorceress bot but she's already killed so the law of robotics is out the window :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

He was just so sad when he found out nobody trusted him. Like, I legit felt bad for the dude :smith:

Mace: "We don't trust. Because we're not a team. :smith:"

Coulson: :sympathy:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Director Mace needs a new sidekick. How about Jemma? You don't have to be American to be Miss Patriot, right?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I just want to see Johnny come back in the finale to back up Robbie. Is that so wrong of me :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hi

All superhero shows are cool, except Arrow when they killed off Laurel, but now she's back so they're all cool

AoS is the coolest though

Well that's my room temperature take thanks

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Radcliff. You glorious, evil, deranged son of a bitch. I like how it's implied he's so loving intelligent he took in a massive undiluted hit of Darkhold just by glancing under the cover. Even better, just wait until Radcliff is the LMD and Aida was pulling the strings all along. I'm telling you, it's going to happen.

Also I concur that Mace is great and I'm glad they're not going full Hyperion with him. He's slowly learning how Phil Coulson's Stupid loving Team of Idiots rolls and finally realizing how colossally in over his head he is. :allears:

quote:

And it's not really evil, it's just making the reader exceedingly obsessed with the desire of reading more of it, no matter the cost. While also learning from past readers' mistakes and not making it super obvious, apparently.

If there is one single thing in the Marvel Universe that I can assure you of, it's that the Darkhold is evil in papyrus format. I'm wondering if they're ever going to go into its history, though. Evil literally wrote it, as in the Primordial Evil, the pure concept before Lucifer even revolted.

So yes, going with evil here.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 15, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

sticklefifer posted:

Well according to Marvel's movie people, the Avengers can't see him.

This took me a couple of tries but I finally realized you got the reference and was very impressed. :golfclap:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
At the beginning of the season I did not like Mace.

After last episode I started to like Mace.

Now I really loving love Mace. There has not been a single human in this show who has said "god DAMMIT Inhumans are people, they should be treated like full citizens you morons" with more conviction. As far as I'm concerned, now that the cards are on the table, just keep a backup of Not Hyde Juice under the desk and juice up when you suit up. Hourman Patriot is just fine by me. :patriot:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

enraged_camel posted:

He's seriously the best thing about this show. :3:

Comes across as a dumb meathead, is actually competent in just about every way. He's fantastic.

Plus, he has a point. Since when does anyone in SHIELD have room to criticize deep cover long game lies that are kept from everyone but top brass?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xealot posted:

I'm wondering if the May fever dream hallucination will be like the "Attic" episode from Dollhouse. That was a pretty effective take on a simulated, violent torture loop that keeps people comatose.

SHIELD: quickly turning into Dollhouse in Soviet Russia

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

STAC Goat posted:

In fairness in a long history of "bad cop" interrogation scenes on TV a severed head was a pretty convincing one.

Plus she started it off with "Hi, I was undercover in HYDRA too! Here are the tools you used. Here is a severed head to prove I am not loving around."

Knowledge of what's about to happen to him (in his mind) plus the fact that this chipper British lass is nonchalantly threatening to torture the poo poo out of you is probably unnerving enough to overcome any money Senator Nadir is paying them.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

bloodychill posted:

This would have been great.

Disembodied Head: "I won't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies."

HYDRA Dude: "Hello yes, I am ready to talk now, what part of HYDRA would you like to know about"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zebulon posted:

loving. Koenigs.

Aren't they incredibly high on the SHIELD food chain or something? I remember Fury specifically giving them directions to give to Coulson, and when Coulson asked if he was being threatened, the response was an unflinching "absolutely 100%."

My guess is they've been controlling Mace this whole time in exchange for an unending supply of lanyards.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gonz posted:

We are all LMD's. All of us.

Beep boop this is an incorrect statement. *opens portal to Hell and shoves you through*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I really want Mace to come into his own at some point. Right now he's gone from vaguely sinister steroid man to incompetent coward and there has to be room in between for The Patriot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Maybnot is really interesting. It'd be cool if she was the one that obtained sentience/independence instead of Ada because god dammit, it's a copy of May. She's that much of a badass.

• Locked thread