Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You're leaving out the part where you and your sister made a super important blood pact to murder each other if the thing that just happened happens. I feel like that's really important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The MSJ posted:

Promo for the next episode spoils the death of an important character! Noooooo, why must the PR guy die?!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqlTizl_j_E

I'm terrible at keeping track of those guys. First I thought Mace's right hand man was the one who got his neck snapped by Ada, but then he was still around irritating everyone so I thought he was also an LMD, but apparently not. Now I guess it doesn't matter.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
LMD May figures out that she's an LMD, lets Fitz fix her programming, and she joins the team. Two Mays!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Cold open with Coulson in the shower. Suddenly there's May behind him and they kiss passionately. The camera pans and there is a second May in front of him, whom he also kisses passionately. The two Mays start making out as steam obscures our view. Smash cut to Coulson snapping to a sitting position in bed as his alarm goes off. Insert witty Star Wars quip.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm not saying it's not the case, but having the Netflix shows exist at a different point in the timeline is incredibly stupid and confusing, especially when they're just being coy and kind of hinting vaguely at it. Everything in the MCU has always existed in sync with reality before, and to make one confusing exception to that for zero benefit is dumb. Netflix can kinda just do it's own thing and still be happening at the same time as literally everything else ever.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Aida was never effected by the Darkhold, it's just a machine doing what it was programmed to do. It's always been Radcliffe.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The whole not-Shangri-la plotline had a bunch of inconsistencies. One of the characters specifically has a line saying they've tried and couldn't figure out how to separate the death metal (:black101:) from the crystals. They also constantly complain about how there's not enough crystals. Apparently both of these problems can be solved by dropping them in water.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, the gamble of becoming an inhuman is iffy. Daisy was really hosed up until her mom taught her how to control it. Raina got suicidal over her physical changes. Gordon went blind and became a "freak" that would have been an issue if he had to live in any community besides an inhuman one. Lash's personality completely changed and he turned into a monster/murderer. That melty guy trashed everyone and he the cops trying to gun him down. Shits traumatic even if you don't get kind of ugly.

And yet inhumans bristle at the idea that maybe living completely normal lives amongst everyone else might not be the best call.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
May would literally punch the drugs.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If Coulson is in on it, that means he's okay with what is being done with May. There's no way this is the case.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
One of the major themes of this season has been shield trying to fix their utterly decimated public image. That's the whole reason Mace exists. No one would buy it if they started an investigation of their most vocal opponent in the senate.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rocksicles posted:

Why, they have different meanings.

Nadeer is Indian, Nadir is more Arabic.

If they went with Nadir, someone in this thread would talk about how racist it was.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was a pretty good episode. I guess I'm literally the only person on earth who doesn't see what the big deal is with Oswalt. It's probably because the first several times I've heard about him, it's been from him wading into the sea of human feces that is twitter *ahem* activism. At least the sister was awesome. The characters are fine as a joke maybe once a season, but the show would suffer if they became regulars. Adding them to the list of announced spinoffs that are never going to happen is fine I guess. And I guess they've given up on subtly when it comes to cross promotional Star Wars references.

I continue to like what they're doing with the LMDs. They keep hinting at maybe they'll become more than machines, or have a soul or whatever. Haha, nope, it's just trying to gently caress with your head the way it was programmed to, into the incinerator! I hope they don't reverse course by the end, or at the very least, limit it to Aida since she actually read the book.

Also, Coulson being the G-Man from Half Life was entertaining.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It would make sense to have multiple Aidas, especially if you're going to send one into a SHIELD base to steal something. I think they shared a majority if not all of their memories and there really isn't a huge distinction between which was first and which was second. Or third and fourth for that matter. He easily built at least 4 robots with no one knowing, who's to say how many he ended up with.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I like that they remembered that Coulson is just the best at talking people down and convincing them to help. That was a fun episode.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
After the constant Star Wars references, especially the last episode, not to mention all Mack's move talk about evil robots, it's kinda jarring how the word "Matrix" apparently cannot be uttered, while they deal with getting jacked into virtual worlds, and crib one scenario entirely from the movie. After 'Huh, Tatooine' there's no way Coulson could resist a 'Whoa'.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is Guardians 2 going to be anymore connected to earth than Guardians 1?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Holy poo poo this show. I was just thinking man, only AoS on the DVR, I wish it was tomorrow for the Expanse instead. If there was a way for TV shows to play poker, AoS would always win. It has this ability, even years after S1 to still make you underestimate it. After getting blown away over and over again you'd think I'd come to expect it, but nope, surprise motherfucker.

3 things:
The way Radcliff was talking, it seems that time moves much faster in the Matrixframework, which is why we'll get several episodes in there for what will probably be a very short time span in real life.

I don't think that Aida and Radcliff 'decided' Hydra should win in the framework. All they did is go back and let every person change their single biggest regret. Coulson never joined Shield, May let super dangerous mind control girl live, Mack's kid survived, etc. These changes resulted in Hydra winning. There's no telling what the other's regrets are.

They said Daisy and Jemma would suddenly jump into their avatars, I took this to mean Jemma would wake up in her coffin, you know, because Jemma hasn't had a lovely enough day yet today. But I don't know, that might not be the case, is Jemma going to be a decaying corpse in the framework? DS9 had O'Brien must suffer. I'm starting to think AoS has Simmons must suffer. So much poo poo happens to that poor girl.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Actually weren't they expecting Simmons to join the framework eventually as well? They kept talking about scanning her brain, I have to assume she was getting replaced too. How was that supposed to work if she was dead?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What's Sam Jackson doing?

I'm hoping he was only filming 2 or 3 movies during the month they shot this last part of the season, all in all that's a really light month for him, maybe he can come back too.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Network TV seems to be getting aggressively shittier this year. Every network show I watch has had multiple month+ long breaks, AoS, Bob's Burgers, Lucifer. It's like they're upset that their slide into irrelevance isn't going fast enough and actively want to push people towards better sources of media even faster. Maybe they're really doing us all a favor.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

homullus posted:

The days of every single show running fall to spring on the 2-4 channels you got, with everything competing directly with each other, no way to record shows, and nothing new for the entire summer were so. much. worse.

Sure, but cable and netflix do it much better. I'd much rather have spring/summer shows, summer/fall shows, etc, rather than everything dragged out to last most of a year.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Blazing Ownager posted:

The fact the networks aren't reorganizing into primarily streaming companies that also air TV yet is baffling.

Network TV is dead. The more they claw in and try to keep it going, the more it's going to tear the gently caress apart. Streaming is the future and finally the market agrees with that.

ED: They really need to look at HBO Go. It's a perfect example of how to make the transition.

Also I think the fact the golden era of TV is rising at the same time that network TV is dying is very, very linked. Network involvement has hurt shows for too long and I will forever hold that traditional TV ratings are INCREDIBLE bullshit, mathematically; the sample size is both too small, and leans too heavily on audiences that would actually want to gently caress with a ratings box. Streaming numbers don't lie (or favor aging families who love Dancing with the loving Stars).

Hey, it worked for their buddies (formerly) in the record industry right! Ignore the dumb new fads and keep printing those CDs guys.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I know AOS is on time with the MCU but the Netflix series clearly aren't. As someone else suggested they probably all take place in the course of a couple months.

Everyone says this, but I got the impression that there was some time between S1 and S2 of Daredevil. Their law firm had time to earn a reputation as helping people who can't pay with cash, and gather a ton of clients, that didn't happen over a weekend. Also they kinda skimmed over it, but both Fisk and Castle's trials happened. In real life that would have taken years, but you have to assume at least a few months each.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've been a shameful comic book movie fan since forever, but I thought Dr. Strange was boring as poo poo. It was one part Batman Begins, one part Iron Man with some shiny effects and glowy bits, and there wasn't one ounce of anything new in it at all. It's the first MCU/MCTV thing that I really didn't enjoy at all. At least Ant Man had a charismatic lead and some cameos and a funny joke about Baskin Robbins. The only thing I liked about Strange was that I loved Benedict Wong from Marco Polo, but he was wasted in this movie. I'm really not trying to get all hot take about this or anything, I just don't see the appeal at all. I guess the last 3 minutes of the movie were cool.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It'll be a shame if AoS never really gets beyond the whole mutants inhumans thing. Does anyone really care about discount mutants beyond hardcore comic book nerds? I had never even heard of them until the movie was announced.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

pee out my butt posted:

Until it's revealed that Cal and whatsherface aren't Daisy's real parents either, and her true name is Skyagar Boltagon.

THAT'S NOT HER ....dad?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I keep copies of a lot less shows than I used to, just things that I really feel likely to watch again. I love my netflix, but playing wack-a-mole with half a dozen subscription services to have access to the show or movie I feel like watching at the time can get hosed.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bruceski posted:

Every time racial/gender portrayal comes up (as it has for Iron Fist) I remember that this show has white dudes in a mostly supporting role, and while May kicks rear end it isn't because she's using mystic kung fu, she's just the resident badass. We get occasional cheesecake shots, but this isn't shot as a cheesecake show.

I like AoS well enough, but I couldn't stand to think about it constantly like this.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Perfect is the enemy of good. I have Hulu, Netflix, HBO Now, and no cable. I think that's like $30 a month for more good poo poo than I could ever watch (and I was recently unemployed), it's loving impossible to run those out. And if you have different tastes, you can probably find some combination for $30 or less that will saturate your every waking moment.

And if you can't? You're.a loving child who will only eat hot dogs and instant lunches. Seriously, watch a documentary or an opera or a horror movie or stand-up or a drama or a comic book movie, make sure you're still a child and it's time for another year of hot dogs before you go and buy a season because you can't wait a year for it to be free. Take 1/10th of the time you're watching poo poo, one week every three months, three days a month, or a month whenever you run out of poo poo, I don't give a gently caress, to try watching something a little outside your comfort zone.

If I do, will it turn me into a bad rear end edge lord who isn't afraid to tell it like it is on the internet? *takes a bit of hot dog*

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rhyno posted:

WE'RE DOIN IT

WE'RE DRAWING IT

Someone else please draw it I have no artist talent.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Yakmouth posted:

I'm still working through Iron Fist but I'm liking it lots.

It's an Origin Story, exactly like Luke Cage, JJ and S1 Daredevil was.

I can sort of understand the hate, but I don't share it.

(AoS is better, but it's had four years to figure itself out).

I've only seen episode 1 so far, but it seems really meh. I'll probably finish it because I'm terrible.

It's not just that it's an origin story, it just feels like such a retread. Marvel stole half the plot of Batman Begins when they made Dr Strange, now we know where the other half of that stolen plot went.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought episode 2 was better than the first, but not, you know, a lot. I'm mostly watching at this point because the old lady from DDS1 was in the previews.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

homullus posted:

I am hoping that the thing that unifies the four heroes isn't "bad guys killed Claire Temple." With SHIELD, they started out nominally as a team and stuff went the other way.

That would actually be a great way to tie the Netflix stuff to AoS and even the MCU to some degree. A post credits scene of Claire waking up in a hospital. Phil is there and says "Died to bring the team together huh?"

"Yep"

*Phil gives an understanding, sympathetic nod*

*Rosario Dawson joins AoS*

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

STAC Goat posted:

I enjoyed S1 of Colony and S2 is still airing or just finished (I'm saving it to binge).

The finale is next Thursday. The consensus is it's not quite as strong as S1 but still pretty good for what it is.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I wan't entirely on board with the same characters but in an alternative world deal at first, especially since Archer just started again with a very similar presence. However, after "Make our society great again" I am 100% on board. Whoever slipped that line into this plotline deserves an Emmy.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't see any reason why Aida can't be several places at once. It's not like she's got a limited attention span like a human would. As an AI she could be directly controlling half a dozen avatars in the matrix, monitoring the matrix itself, and controlling a few LMD versions of herself in the real world.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'd really love one sci fi story to not treat advanced computers as either a world destroying skynet or a soul having human-but-different that deserves rights and poo poo. Just once, just to see how it works.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
As soon as I saw the cold open no rly factor, all I wanted from this episode was alternative facts. Shield did not disappoint.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I love May's gratuitous and completely unnecessary Matrix cartwheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think there's a good chance no one cares about simulated matrix people except a few folks in this thread. The framework will get turned off and no one will mention it again except maybe Mack. The only satisfying conclusion I can see for that is if Aida becomes human, immediately turns off the framework as she has no use for it anymore, and then ghost rider shows up and stares at her for 7 billion 'deaths'.

Of course I also thought it was really dumb how she could previously re-write the framework at will to suit her needs, but apparently now she's just as vulnerable as anyone else inside of it. And she also needs to plug into it like a human, because I guess darkhold computers can't multitask at all. So my views on AIs and simulated realities are very different from the show runners.

• Locked thread