Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I wonder how much control Madame Haidra has over the mainframe. I don't think she's playing her role while also having all information about that world. It feels a bit like she made a local independent copy of herself which is freed of her prime directives.
Why else would she research that other side? If she is multithreading while also being in the regular world, she wouldn't need to collect intel from there. Or maybe she decided that she really shares Hydras ideals, so she wants to open a portal to bring some of her buddies to good old earth Earth-199999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Poetic Justice posted:

Didn't Aida say specifically she didn't program powers in the framework? Is Daisy gonna break out of the cocoon and try to cause an earthquake and have nothing happen?

There's certainly some inhuman power around. Otherwise hydra couldn't have used the fear of them to create a police state. Remember how May let Ava Acres kill all those children?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Jemma's eventual goal is to shut the framework down. So in some sense she is planning a giant genocide. I don't know if there are actually 7.4 billion npcs around, but it's a significant number. She's justifying it by claiming that they aren't actually human, but I wouldn't blame Ward or anyone else for trying to stop that.

Man! Things kinda suck from Ward's perspective. He had a good life with a respectable job and a lovely girlfriend. Then one day, without provocation, she suddenly fears and hates him. Later he finds out that her mind was actually replaced by an Inhuman from another dimension, who wants to destroy his whole universe. In some sense, Daisy already killed Skye.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 21, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I really like this show and this story arc in particular.
But since I am a giant nerd I have a logical nitpick. Aida and Russian Guy both want to kill the people in the framework but are completely incapable of doing so. But what about their (presumably human) mooks? If Russian Guy would try to kill May like he did before and one of them saw that, they could easily do it themselves. But then again, maybe their core programming is so strong that they would attack anyone who actually tries to harm the sleeping agents.
Either way, it feels like kind of a convoluted plan to circumvent that core programming.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

ApeHawk posted:

So is Aida's plan to just 3d print herself into a non-robotic version of herself?

Yeah pretty much. But the doctor told Ophelia that her new body will be stronger. So presumably she wouldn't simply be a weak, squishy human.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
In this universe, Simmons never managed to use the cosmic cube in order to change Fitz from his true personality.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So, is next week the season finale?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

It's that awful 60s comic logic where everyone's real name is an extension of their code name, just like it's pretty convenient that a woman named Harleen Quinzel who ended up the Joker's sidekick had a name that sounded vaguely like 'harlequin' and not like Bertha Schlanski or something.

But that's at least a pun based on a real name.
Unlike Blackagar, Boltagon, or Medusalith. But it's a comic thing. I've never met a person called Jubilation either. Most people probably don't even know that Jubilation Lee is her actual name.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
JJJ: "I've finally found your real identity! All along you were my trusted photographer, Spinigan Derwin Manson!"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

So like...the way that Aida behaved in this episode kinda soundly refutes the notion that the Framework denizens -- or even other LMDs like the robot May -- are "real" people, right? They emulate emotions and understand emotions on an intellectual level. But if you put them in a flesh-and-blood body with actual biological processes and nerves and neurons and hormones and chemicals, they're going to be completely overwhelmed to the point of insanity. Whatever computer brain Aida had before is not like our brains.

According to what she told Fitz, she the whole framework was a lie Radcliffe created and she was forced to play her role. That sounds like it is less real than it seems.
She genuinely seems to believe that her life up to that point was slavery and a suppressed free will. I really wonder how she thinks about Radcliffe nowadays. She mostly killed him to solve her internal paradox. But does she resent him so much that she'd kill him again, if she had the choice?

Aida is a really complicated character. And Mallory Jansen plays all those conflicting facets really incredibly well. What different roles where there anyway?
-A regular human
-An obedient robot without much thought
-A robot which was programmed to fake consciousness
-A robot which actually starts to develop a consciousness, for real this time, but is blocked by conflicting prime directives
-An artificial intelligence in an artificial world who decides to play a fascist leader to gain freedom in the real wold
-A person who's able to feel real humanity for the first time
-A goddess of death out for revenge for her broken heart
Every one of those characteristics was written and acted really well. I'm gonna miss her.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

If Aida's multifaceted, human-like personality within the Framework was just another programmed role that she herself compared to slavery, what does that say about everyone else in there with multifaceted, human-like personalities? Why do we say those people are different from Aida? Because they're based on real people? So was she.

Maybe she was simply instructed to act human and protect the integrity of the framework from within. I guess there is quite a leap from acting human and making it appear as if you feel the thinks you are supposed to being an actual human. (Even though that would mean that the Turing test is worthless.)
If her objective was basically to play a role as realistically as possible, she was pretty much just an actress. Of course, she managed to derail everything a lot.
Basically, it feels like she had her own computer brain, but was forced to play one of those hyper realistic npcs except for a few decisions she could make on her own. So in some sense, she was even less free than Daisy and Simmons, who had complete control over their avatars.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 11, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Ramadu posted:

Haha remember the rising tide and how that was a thing and they made you think ward was gonna be the main character of the show. Episode 1 is really weird when you know where this is all going

I actually thought pretty much this today. Remember the rising tide loser, who slept with Skye and sold her out to what we now know was Hydra? What did they call themselves again? It was something really stupid. Caterpillar, maybe?

And do you remember that flaming guy who killed a few people and buggered off, or died?

I am so glad that I didn't drop this show in season one.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

Going to back to the Framework and are the people "real" or just simulations that think they are real. The real answer is: whatever the writers decide.

That's it. It's a fun mental exercise, but really doesn't matter.

We can debate it all we want, but the writers could blow it out of the water in the next episode.

Edit: philosophy 101 stuff, there is no one true answer.

That's the least satisfying thing one can say. We aren't discussing that stuff because we want to find an answer, but because such nerdy discussions are fun. Shutting them down because we can't truly know seems pointless.

One interesting thing about the framework it's basically able to compress the experiences of a whole life into a few days. You could lead the life of a physics professor and spend years conjuring weird stuff.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

See, I know you're joking, but this actually sounds so much better than what Marvel did with Ultimate Reed.

He was pretty great in New Avengers. He always managed to think quite far. But Da Costa always managed to think one step farther.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I'm from NYC which means that like half the shows and movies I watched were filmed in places I recognize, I can name movies and TV shows that feature my grade school, high school, and other childhood spots, and I've been in the background of a couple things myself.

So I think I just became desensitized to the whole concept of caring where something was filmed.

Isn't most of that stuff filmed in Vancouver?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Fartbox posted:

Agents of shield has like one good action scene, that long take with Quake

I can't even remember any others so I deem them forgettable and mediocre

Did you never see May fight?
Bolting Ward's foot onto the ground.
Jamming her doppelgangers face into that table.
Doing a wallflip-kick against the Iron Chef.
Cavalarying a bunch of mind controlled people.

How about Daisy's quaking?
The scene where the real shield tries to catch her and she tears a tree to splinters.
Propelling herself on top of a moving car.

Or how about that episode with the large scale EMP, where the team did a fight in stroboscopic light and Fitz jammed a pen through someones hand.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 16, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

this is the surest sign yet it's going to be canceled :smith:

Nah. The surest sign would be if the next season only has 3 episodes. Or, you know if it hadn't been renewed at all.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I don't know anything about her. And her IMDB doesn't really help me either. I guess Squirrel Girl in a marvel show is a step above "Subway Rat Woman" in the recent ghost busters movie.

Anyway, I am quite certain that they can make something good out of that.

Oh wait, she was the main guys ex in "Love"! (What a stupid title for a show.) Well, she seemed nice.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 10, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Heathen posted:

Pepper was in Iron Man 3, but not Age of Ultron. And she and Tony were seperated by the time Civil War happened yet there she is again in Spider-Man. Hmm...

That's probably just because Paltrow has a reputation to be impossible to work with. I was actually surprised they brought her back at all.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Inhumans starts tonight, someone make a new thread.

Can't we just ignore it?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Or maybe there's a skrull who watched Contact, knows about Ward, and is a massive troll.

“In order for us to have a civilized conversation we chose an apearance which is familiar to -“ *get's shot in the stomache by every member of the team.*

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Remember when that one guy brought some woman to a dystopian future and just sort of forgot her there?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

The vibe I get from that trailer is "Agents of SHIELD: The GotG Season".

The new Thor hat a strong GotG feel to it and that worked out fine. So I'm quite willing to see where this leads.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Is discussing that stuff spoiler? Better safe than sorry, I guess.
My impressions:
I like that guy from the beginning. He has some good routines, knows how to enjoy a pool, has (his childs?) paintings on his fridge and has good taste in car music. He seems like a swell guy.
"The middle of the season", eh?
"Doesn't SHIELD have an outer space division called SPEAR, or something?" But to be a bit nerdy: SWORD actually doesn't exist in the current comic universe. Also apparently there actually has been an organisation called SPEAR, because of course there was.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Daveski posted:

Doh I genuinely read that as “coming back” as in a new season, this is why i shouldn’t browse the internet on my phone at work. I crushed my own hopes too :(

That was the intended effect.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Huh, I didn't really enjoy that... It's probably the dark dystopian mood lighting. Not a big fan of that. But then again, that's a cost cutting measure, so whatever. Maybe it will be fun again. I miss Aida.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Maybe some smart Kree bioengineer wondered how you'd have to modify a human to survive there. They don't really think those things through.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Andrew Verse posted:

Earth was fine before she was abducted.

Then she was abducted and was not on Earth to cause any damage to it.

Therefore, she didn't do it.
For all we know, she might turn back to the point in time where all of this started. And then she causes that.
Being abducted into a time portal is not a viable alibi.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I love the fact that being a computer science geek is an integral part of Squirrel Girl's character nowadays. Ryan North really gave her a lot of himself.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Ghost Spider?

Give her a break! You try coming up with a Spider themed name which isn't taken by like 3 different people, without outright using your given name.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Rhyno posted:

In her universe she's Spider-Woman!

Yes I know. And in the main universe, with which she has had contact, there are 3 others. It's kind of an unoriginal name and I guess the reason that her comic isn't called that.

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm really happy Chloe Bennet is now pretty much considered "Quake" for Marvel's reference in all media. I think making her an Inhuman in the comics was probably a bit much, but Chloe has put in so much time and work on the character and deserves to have that recognized.

She's come a long way from being mostly eye candy in the first season to doing a whole bunch of stunts herself in the last few.

I totally agree here.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 7, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So that's the name he chose to go by?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

They're like polar opposites. The pretty blue woman is able to stay silent, while the gross orange man really can't do that at all.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

hamsystem posted:

Agents of S.H.O.T.G.U.N.A.X.E.

Strategic Homeland/Outer Terran Guardian Unit Averting Xenobiotic Enemies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Capitalise the N in UNit and you've got my vote.

oops. I guess I can't spell.
I can't believe that I managed to find a use for the X, but just missed the N.
Backronyms are hard.

Maybe nobly? notably? normaly?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 15, 2017

• Locked thread