Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah, but Inhumans and May and Mack kinda make up a lot of the disparity in power between the Avengers and SHIELD. Also a Ghost Rider.

Daisy, Yo-yo for sure. A Ghost Rider absolutely.

May is a slight level down. High end martial arts prowess, no powers to speak of. Daisy surpassed her long ago. Ward was the same deal. They're just high end agents.

Fitz is a poor man's Stark, so the team will have some level of technological advantage. Mack brings a shotgun axe? I mean, I guess that's something. Coulson is probably a bit more valuable in dealing with high level threats than Mack, imo.

As a "team" they're probably suited to take on threats that the avengers battle solo, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Apoplexy posted:

Well, considering that Black Widow is basically May in skill level and she's an Avenger, it seems like we already have one on Team AoS!

Black Widow (and Hawkeye, for that matter) is also acknowledge to be mostly in over her head. She's really good at taking care of lots of normals, but she's got no powers.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

STAC Goat posted:

Its unlikely to involve SHIELD like the Avengers/Captain America movies so at most they'd do some thematic reference like with Dr Strange. But I doubt even that since they're a little too busy to find a reason to talk about aliens. At most maybe Coulson will make a quip or something.

doubt it's even that much. Guardians is so far removed from AoS at this point that there's not even anything to quip upon...

e: Although... I guess it is possible.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Bodzilla posted:

The events of Guardians 2 took place in 2014, so any references to it would have to be flashbacks.

Where'd you pick up the timing of Guardians 2 being 2014?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Plus, James Gunn has said in a few interviews. The reason for it was so that Baby Groot could be a thing in the movie and still have a reason to have a full grown Groot in Infinity War.

Good point.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So good. I want more.

I'm a little sad that happy, helpful Ophelia only lasted, what, 10 minutes?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
no new sets. the entirety of the season will take part on the interior of the Zephyr.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
e: ^^ I totally read that in Ron Howard's voice.

Really happy that this got a full season 5 order. While I actually prefer drama's with the 10-13 episode season, I'm really a fan of how this show does their mini season arcs. Totally on board. 6 seasons and a (mention in a) movie?

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 12, 2017

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

notthegoatseguy posted:

Kevin Tanchaoren actually started as a AOS director in 2014 and has since done other comic book shows as well. The Iron Fist episode he directed had the only decent fight in the series, and it is one of the few episodes that didn't completely suck. His AOS episodes are usually top notch.

One of two (the top down elevator wasn't Lee quality, but it was a cool take on the elevator fight), but holy poo poo, the open on them in China... A background shot of an incredibly easily recognized bridge in New Jersey (Bayonne)...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I mean, I don't mind if the city y doesn't look right because it was filmed in city x, but you gotta be real careful if you're going to use a landmark-type building/bridge. That stuff is easily recognizable. I mean, they spent good cash on changing out the background of that shot to look plausibly Chinese, why not just hire a film team out of China to shoot some b-roll of a Chinese landmark bridge and use that as your establishing shot instead?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
That's actually something that AoS has done fairly well: when it goes on location, it's usually gone to the actual location (or somewhere so nondescript that it might as well be).

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

STAC Goat posted:

But there's a million things filmed in NYC. Like, its a daily thing to see major productions going on in the streets and I imagine any native NYers has had their school, work, street, favorite business, or whatever used for a Law and Order set.

Hell, I was in NYC for all of 1 week in the middle of Feb and I ran across 2 groups filming something or another. This doesn't surprise me.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

howe_sam posted:

But they do probably have a more forgiving shooting schedule that in theory lets them spend more time on choreography.

I'm going to guess the plan is to stick Shield in as Inhumans replacement on the schedule, though they might also be hedging their bets on The Gospel of Kevin.

It might be set up to start in Nov or so as well as I think Inhumans is only 10-13 episodes.

And it's highly possible that they're holding on to it as a replacement drama for any new-show failure, since they're confident that its audience will follow it wherever (mostly following it to day-after streaming and/or post-season netflix streaming).

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BrianWilly posted:

More on topic: how could anyone forget the Bobbi vs Ward fight from the season 2 finale.

Very few mentions for the Quake-integrated fights in the last two seasons also. Quake vs LMD Mace/Coulson this season was great.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
The budget per episode for the netflix series is ~$3 million.

The only budget we know about for AoS is that the pilot cost $14 million. Theoretically each episode in-season would be much less expensive, but no idea how much that would be.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Oasx posted:

Clark Gregg is doing an AMA in Reddit right now : https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/

the actual link: https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/6bjp40/this_is_clark/

e:

also this is an easy way to see all his responses:
https://www.reddit.com/user/clarktothegregg

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 16, 2017

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm not a TV producer but the gently caress did that cost $14 million? I don't remember any major CGI or otherwise special effects except for I guess the Centipede arm poo poo. Are pilots just always expensive because you're paying everyone for a one-time thing with no guarantee it'll be picked up?

Sets are expensive and I think they had to build a bunch.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Kheldarn posted:

Fanamir: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D has been renewed for a fifth season, but does not appear on ABC's Fall schedule. Obviously, it will start later, but we've been getting mixed signals. Do you know if Season 5 will be a full, 22 episode season or has it been shortened?

clarktothegregg: Yes. Full season after the 8 eps of The Inhumans. Then we do our whole run. Could be cool that way.

So, there we have it. Inhumans first, then AOS Season 5.

Pretty much the only actual news or interest there.

Kinda confirms AoS for the death slot, though. I can't see the Gospel of Kevin succeeding, though, so it's not out of the question that Inhumans opens on Fridays but AoS reclaims its Tuesday slot by that point.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
My reaction over the course of the episode:

whaaaat

waaaaaat

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaht

da fuq?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Yakmouth posted:

So, am I the only one here who didn't love that episode, then?

I feel like they reallly bit off more than they could chew last week and this week felt kind of perfunctory.

My only two complaints were that the scene with Fitz and Simmons was there just to allow Iain to do some more acting and the sendoff for Aida was a little shorter than I had hoped. A little too easy, you know?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, but don't Fox's exclusivity rights only extend to movies and not television? Besides, they would only be using her name. She almost certainly wouldn't be a mutant.

Animation. Fox still owns TV rights.

SWORD's license is up in the air. It's not exclusively mutant, but it did originate with an X-Men comic book and features a half-alien, half-mutant leader.

I'm betting they do not use Brand.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

STAC Goat posted:

People only care about the Framework because Ward got erased off camera.

Which makes me happy and full of laughter. This one's for you, Jemma.

I'm just imagining that off camera a bloodied, shot up Ward is overcoming injuries sustained in holding off hydra at the station to keep the message on air as long as possible in order to limp his way back to the SHIELD base, getting there just in time to see Mack drive off with the survivors in the base. He opens his mouth, about to deliver a final line and then promptly disappears forever.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

This would be awesome if it just looped between the skyline and the subway.

I was actually hoping this would continue a few more times. Would be cute to see it hit up some sites from earlier in the series. Maybe port underwater where the flame flickers for a second and then starts boiling the water around. That might have given it a bit more "finale-ty".

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PunkBoy posted:

Bobbi being tortured by Ward was probably the grossest thing I've seen on the show.

Yeah, that was legit uncomfortable.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Rocksicles posted:

Oh, it got it's own thread on Reddit.

This... does not surprise me in the least.

e: Should we talk about how poor her aim control was. Holding like that, recoil can bounce your aim all over the place. Since she's got an ally down-range near her target, that's incredibly irresponsible. She could have easily shot Coulson.

Although, at that point, Coulson was carrying the rider, so even if he was shot, he woulda been fine...

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 22, 2017

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Eh, doesn't look great, doesn't look terrible. Looks like fairly standard to the showrunner.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Blazing Ownager posted:

Anyone not watching Legion probably should, it's a very.. very different kind of show but it's really pretty great.

That said I will never understand why they keep thinking Keri is their heavy hitter because literally anyone including "red shirt thugs" can beat the ever loving poo poo out of her.

Aleph Null posted:

I think it's just Keri that thinks that. I mean, that one dude carries a Tommy gun around. They aren't good at fighting.

Exactly. The only one of that group that has any sort of value in combat is wrist flick guy. They had a character that could make the air boil or something like that too, right? But they only showed up for one episode and they have the drawback of being prone to friendly fire.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, they're like the predecessor to the X-Men. They're not superheroes or anything. They're just mutants who are broken and trying to help each other, but they're forced to defend themselves for all the same reasons Wolverine and Cyclops one day will be with actual powers that can help.

David's just kind of the bellwether or turning point.

Except he's actually post x-men. since he was dropped off with his adoptive parents by Professor X himself. I don't remember if Prof-x is confirmed as his father, but that's how it is in the comics.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Didn't she straight up break someone's arm or leg or something? Just grabbed hold and shattered the bone.

Also there was the vibrohug she shared with Simmons. That was a cute usage of her power.

I don't think there's any additional development left in her powers. Part of hive's special ability was to immediately teach inhumans how to maximize their special powers. They didn't indicate anywhere that they actually lose that knowledge once being out from under hive's influence.

The only things left for her to improve on are integrating it into her other skills (ie hitty punchy stuff).

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So post SDCC, I'm hung up on the idea that Coulson is and has been a Skrull.

Just going to leave that there for y'all to daydream about for a bit.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

TFRazorsaw posted:

But they put Kree DNA in him.

That means Coulson is Hulkling.

Exactly.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Eh, it's almost good. It's good for Scott Buck.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Regy Rusty posted:

Alright guess I'm now hoping The Orville crashes and burns :v:

Wow, after reading some of those reviews... It's definitely going to. It sounds like it's a combination of poor advertising (Fox is advertising it as a Seth MacFarlane comedy when it's a straight-up homage to Star Trek) and the fact that MacFarlane can't actually act. Which is a shame because we could use a good version of old-school Star Trek.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I thought the Orville wasn't bad for what it was. Very poorly advertised, but definitely watchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mraagvpeine posted:

If we're talking about threats, then what about the new series Fox is going to air soon? I think it was called Gifted or something.

X-Men universe.

• Locked thread