Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Radio! posted:

I hope it's more complicated than that because shielding someone during a bombing even though you can't get hurt is still, like, a good thing to do.

As much as I'm sure it's something dark/terrible, I'd really love it if it was something even more incredible and positive, but he didn't want to get too much credit because everyone else was pitching in and being such a great team. I absolutely love the "aw shucks" niceness he's been putting on and it would be a breath of fresh air if it wasn't just a front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Blazing Ownager posted:

I really like Mace a lot. He's been a well handled character and if they make him go evil I will be badly disappointed. He's entirely understandable in his approach, and his only sin is not being Coulson, really. He makes some bad calls but everyone does. I really hope his 'dark secret' turns out to be something benign, like him feeling he didn't do enough.
He couldn't get everyone to understand proper motorcycle safety. :smith:

Seriously though after that aside there's no way that his core character isn't a Leave It To Beaver character living and dealing in a grimdark reality. No one acting would think to go out of their way to say something so meaningless yet thoughtful.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

homullus posted:

He becomes the next Ghost Rider in his wheelchair.

Alright, I'm onboard for a "Hell on Wheels" arc.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

twistedmentat posted:

And the Darkhold is perfectly comic booky, with the ancient evil text with a perfectly type set front cover.

The cover only looks the way you expect to perceive it, everyone sees it differently. :tinfoil:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

OB_Juan posted:

Ghost Rider is mostly made of vengeance.

I'm not sure super science mind-popping will beat that.

He would return to avenge his own death! :wth:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Is it weird that I'm happy Talbot is coming back?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Ensign_Ricky posted:

You know what I really love about this episode?

Mace is still a good guy. He wasn't doing anything nefarious, he "just wanted to help". Mace rules.

That being said, YOU WERE SHOOTING HIM UP WITH THE HYDE FORMULA, WHAT THE gently caress TALBOT?!?

They took the bad stuff out!* :mad:

*most of it

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
I was honestly surprised AIDA didn't "discover" her human counterpart died prior to being transferred. "Oh. No. What a terrible tragedy for your only human love and my direct rival for your attention to have died just now. Completely naturally." :geno:

Also I would have thought that Radcliffe would have qualms about "the Framework" as, even working perfectly as intended, it merely duplicates the memories and personality of an individual and doesn't literally transfer that specific instance of the person, so the original still dies as the duplicate lives on. It's the whole transporter quandary all over.

Of course, this may be magically powered at this point so who knows, but May interacted with it in a way that indicated the machine was forcing sensory data into a preexisting mental state. She was able to wake out of it so her consciousness wasn't transferred/stored in an external device, at least the last time we were shown.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Andrew_1985 posted:

It's too bad she won't live.

But then again, who does?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

counterfeitsaint posted:

After the constant Star Wars references, especially the last episode, not to mention all Mack's move talk about evil robots, it's kinda jarring how the word "Matrix" apparently cannot be uttered, while they deal with getting jacked into virtual worlds, and crib one scenario entirely from the movie. After 'Huh, Tatooine' there's no way Coulson could resist a 'Whoa'.

I doubt they would reference media outside of Disneys wide umbrella. I haven't checked all the references but a quick check finds that Chopping Mall was produced by Concorde Pictures, which signed a distribution contract with Buena Vista Home Entertainment, thus those killer robots might make the mouse a few dimes if someone buys the DVD after hearing about it on the show.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
It should totally be Mack. SHIELD would be independently funded by his robot-related death life insurance policy for years.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

So I just hate Ward (I mean, I loved to hate Ward, but I hate him) and will never accept any kind of "good guy" Ward. I'll be the rear end in a top hat constantly fighting against the thread tide because drat that crazy, psycho, evil fucker just because NOW his crazy, psycho obsession is Daisy/Skye.

But I don't really get why anyone would want "Good Guy Ward" as a LMD since that's the guy who sucked and the one everyone likes is "Crazy Villain Ward." If a LMD Ward escaped and then went evil (because that is his true nature) over rejection by Daisy or something that I'd accept even if I'd still curse his name. But a "good" Ward in SHIELD? Icky and boring.

This show is reeeeally good at skipping tropes. There are a half dozen people on the team that would outright reject/destroy LMD Ward on the spot, especially because even if he is "good" the AI injected into the LMD is literally a duplicate image of an evil person created by an evil AI tainted by evil magic. There's just no good reason to have that lying around.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 9, 2017

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
I have to say I secretly want Mack to die from all this but come back as the one true good LMD to have his insurance policy pay-out fund SHIELD for decades.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Woden posted:

Same. They also brought back Sylar for what is it the 5th time now and everything in the real world is at a standstill until the Hydra World arc is resolved.

Really not digging the arc at all so far.

Hey not a fair comparison. Sylar was a fantastic villain in the first and only good season and was immediately ruined by uninspired, rushed, and awful writing in subsequent seasons to a degree my brain registers that Heroes was a single season and then was canceled abruptly and to everyone's approval.

Ward has been awesome in all three and a half seasons so far.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Yakmouth posted:

From a pure storytelling aspect, keeping the Framework running opens more possibilities than shutting it down. From a 'realistic' point of view, I'm trying to imagine any organization saying "Yep, we've invented both AI and perfect VR... but it was all kind of poo poo so we scrapped them." Like, either of those technologies would be real-world game changers, and both are being actively pursued.

I say the Framework is here to stay.

"Yes you see, we have perfect VR. You just...directly interface your brain with a machine powered by evil mag---hey where are you going?"

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

OB_Juan posted:

Build robot bodies. Export (or better, copy) Hydra NPCs to the robot bodies. Literally building a loyal Hydra army. Upload aida_2_03.exe into Google or whatever. Go full Skyenet.

Magic is involved. Full Deus.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

I don't have any understanding of this. Its science fiction based on millennia of philosophy. We're dealing with the concepts that have captivated human curiosity and strife through all history like "consciousness", "life", and "souls."

I have absolutely no idea if Agnes was alive in the Framework or not or if Radcliffe still is. But I know its in enough of a grey area that it makes total sense for Fitz to feel guilt over it and discover a whole new way to agonize over life's greatest mysteries.

I'm going to go if it's black magic it's probably dealing in real "souls" whatever that means in the MCU. Even Doctor Strange was pretty vague on that after the Ancient One winked out of existence when they died in the astral plane.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
I really really appreciated all the various Hydra personnel returning for cameos. I have no idea why but I immediately recognized the scientist infiltrating Simmons screwed over.

They reminded me I miss Whitehall/Bakshi :rip: Each season has been great but season 2 definitely is my favorite.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
I am curious why he's never returned. I know his character has been out of "character" for the resulting seasons but it would be nice to see him again.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Apoplexy posted:

One of my XCOM2 Long War 2 Rangers started with the last name of Ward, so I had to give her the callsign of Hive. Serious post.

Does he have a bonus to shooting domesticated animals?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Coffee Mugshot posted:

Uh, if Aida and Radcliffe didn't go off book with this project it would have been great for Mack to have a pseudo-world to peacefully honors his daughter's memory. Honestly, the problem here is that the Framework is kinda really a great idea but someone's always trying to do something evil.

The concept was just an idea before Radcliffe got the Darkhold, literal dark magic made it a reality. I don't think even in be whizbang sci-fi world of SHIELD something that extensive and all-encompassing (and occasionally deadly) would be possible. Pretty sure "if you die in the game you die in real life" was not on his list of features when he planned it.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Yakmouth posted:

Do we have confirmation yet (one way or the other) on Runaways being part of the MCU?

I'm honestly not sure how they could considering Ultron was around for only a very short time and likely didn't create a son but I suppose they could alter things accordingly. That comes a bit later anyhow.

Also I believe the staff of one made an appearance in Doctor Strange, though that could be hand-waved as it got back around to where it needed to be.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Apoplexy posted:

Man, I forgot how clean-cut Mace looked early on compared to his Framework appearance. I'm REALLY going to miss O'Mara. I also forgot about his 'Mack just rode off? Without a helmet on? He knows better than that!'

It just struck me the other day that this is be second time this actor has been unwillingly trapped in a virtual world on network television.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Totally agree, though I’d go as far as to say the series ends when Sylar catches Claire and they have an awkward chat as he picks over her brain. The completely anticlimactic non-event after a full season of build up followed by his “welp, see ya!” was just perfect and if it cut to black right there I’d have been good.

What followed.... I... was not good. :(

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Rhyno posted:

If any SG1 cast member showed up I would apologize for every rotten thing I have ever said about this show.

Indeed.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

homullus posted:

Tripp was a pre-evil-Ward-level of boring. Framework Tripp was good though.

It still amazes me to this day how incredibly far Fitzsimmons have come from season one. From :geno: to :black101: so quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
The gang takes a fabulous tropical beach vacation to hotel Lernean on Nottatrap island.

• Locked thread