Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is it cool if I just watch Jacques Pepin vids on YouTube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Chef's Table is the worst food show ever. I rather watch Mark Summers chow down on garbage State Fair food.

The Francis Mallmann episode was great background while cooking, since 90% of the episode was “campfire+meat+Patagonian landscape.”

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I finished the first episode yesterday and it was chill. It’d sure be nice to cook outdoors in beautiful Italian scenery.

There were one or two scenes where the music cut out while Simon was making pesto/dough/etc. with her host, and it highlighted how awkward filming these scenes must be when it’s just two people standing around in a silent kitchen.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

He’s absolutely trying to build an empire, but I won’t begrudge him chasing that paper. I refuse to watch his “lifestyle” videos and very rarely watch the “basic” videos, but well-produced videos based on solid recipes that show people how easy cooking can be is fine by me.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

One of these days I’m going to make the mojo pork in that cubano from the first episode. I bet it’d be awesome crisped up in a taco.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

The video lengths are excessive now but that's Youtube in general. It's why those apology videos are 2 hours long.

I’m packing up for a move and have found the length of the It’s Alive and It’s Alive-adjacent videos make great shows to have on in the background. But in my normal day to day life I don’t have time to watch a 60 minute movie on the perfect cheese for pizza.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Gone Fashing posted:

been watching all of BA's stuff on youtube lately and glad to find there is a thread dedicated to it

If you take away the video, it’s impossible for me to differentiate between Carla and Molly’s voices. Having them together on the podcast is confusing as all get out.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I really don’t appreciate the smashburgers he posts on Instagram from his restaurant.

He always posts them when I can’t get my own burgers and they make me hungry. :(

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Off the top of my head:

Brad
Claire
Chris
Rick
Delaney :argh:
Andy
Carla
Molly

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

“Does Guy Fieri like that dish?” is the best television mini game. More empty catchphrases = less bites = more dislike of dish.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I haven’t watched any of the videos, but Babish has that ‘basics with babish’ playlist.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

I can't quite figure out if the veiled contempt they have for Rappaport is real or not

The way he says “Bahn” Appetite while everyone else says Bone Apple Tea bugs me.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Just have them make recipes that I might actually make, quit doing this weird clickbaity bullshit

This, though I’d take a behind the scenes video of Amiel doing the voiceovers for one of his “every way to cook X” videos.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m close to DMing Delaney to ask about the coffee situation at BA. What’s the breakdown between beans they buy and sample bags sent in by roasters? Is there one person in charge of procuring the beans? How many bags do they go through in a day? Is there good coffee for the non-test kitchen part of the office?

As someone with a little pourover setup hidden in my office filing cabinet, I’m very jealous of the afternoon Delaney and Morocco coffee tasting.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

If you're talking about the most recent coffee video, Sohla is, once again, the best thing about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yssNu8Eynb8

Christina says she has Morocco’s old hario skerton to hand grind her beans, but then is shown adding the grinds to her pour over from the plastic container of an electric grinder. :tinfoil: What else are they lying to us about? :tinfoil:

Brad complimenting his vertical camera shot while the director yells “LANDSCAPE!” over zoom was great.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

One of y’all is thinking memphis style BBQ is best, and that one of you is wrong

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Suppose you're here to stan for KC style, where if you slap enough sauce on a turd nobody can tell if it's good or not?

:v:

If you need sauce for your Texas brisket then you hosed up :nono:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

A Texan would murder me, but I like a vinegar sauce to dip my smoky brisket in. Fat, smoke, tartness is a nice combo to me

My preferred brisket dish is actually the brisket taco. Smokey brisket, salsa, maybe some guac or avocado slices, toasted flour tortilla. Can Should be eaten for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sohla has such a warm personality. BA has a good hiring team.

Hunzi is popping up on screen in more videos - building momentum to erase the memory of Vinny from the It’s Alive YouTube comments.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I watched the Kitchen on Food Network this morning, which was basically a Zoom meeting. Every single one of these people had a drink in their hand (Zakarian top middle ducked out of sight for more champagne. I’m not even lying.)

Guessing the drinks were made with two shots of vodka

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The BA crew is doing a live variety show tonight, and my gut tells me Rapoport will have the majority of talking time out of the 14+ participants.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

I saw a twitter meme and I wondered, do anyone here actually make any of BA's recipes?

I made their Best Bolognese yesterday. I don’t have a reference for bolognese, but the result was delicious and it was dead simple to make.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Very much agree. Especially since "the booze guy" is pretty much Alex's niche in BA. Good for him and gently caress Molly and her dumbass mortadella obsession. It's just gussied-up bologna anyway.

I don’t know the dude from Adam, but I bet the morning after a night out with Delany is rouuugh. He probably knows all the bartenders so you get cheap drinks, but he’d show up to hangover breakfast looking great because all his drinks were <4% natural wine or amaro based cocktails.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Priya isn’t my favorite, but that’s because her family reminds me of the Dallas suburbanites I interacted with while working some customer facing jobs there.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Drumsticks > ice cream tacos because drumsticks have that little plug of solid chocolate at the bottom of the cone. It’s a little extra treat at the bottom of a treat :3:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sohla’s dropping truth bombs on her instagram story re: rapoport in brown face and BA not fairly compensating BIPOC

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don’t have a link to the actual picture or anything, just what Sohla has been saying

https://instagram.com/stories/sohlae/2327180786862442493?igshid=10wxjnt0ybskm

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Found it efb

https://twitter.com/tammieetc/status/1269999555480821760?s=20

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

After all that’s happened in 2020 thus far, it’s weird that my biggest crack-ping moment was when all those underlying thoughts about how BA has a great crew and seems like a cool place to work despite ownership by terrible company Condé Nast crystallized and shattered in my brain all at once.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

If you're brown and work at BA they won't let you make french food. Look like Molly then it's permissable to add a zaatar rub to your pork chops.

Right, similar to how this kicked off in part because Rapoport shot down a Puerto Rican pitching an article on a Puerto Rican dish, but let Molly write an article about Puerto Rican food stalls in the May ‘20 issue.

I would love to see what Sohla could come up with on a budget of $X and a week to experiment.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Resting Lich Face posted:

God drat it. Why BA? I thought you were cool...

We regret to inform you the duck is racist

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

From my ranch to your kitchen is peak wholesome cooking

https://youtu.be/BMCoJCGFmPE

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Here's my last post for a while. Everything 's been crazy this year and having BA on Youtube was one thing that I liked being able to tune into every couple days. So it's a big deal if they're not going to put out any content for a while.

I really like Rick. I'm a Mexican-American, so I enjoy his Mexican recipes, seeing where they are similar and also different from what I grew up with.

They did a video with Rick's dad, making refried beans. The recipe is here, I'm not sure where the video went, it's not on BA's site or YouTube that I can find. It was great. It reminded me a lot of cooking with my dad and my grandfather.

Rick did videos with BA for carnitas, tamales, churros, and of course refried beans. He's the perfect person to do them. Not that anyone else couldn't do them (I'm sure Claire could knock out some churros), but if it makes me a racist rear end in a top hat to prefer that he does them, so be it.

Rick is also gay. Not a fun position to be in when you have a hispanic background with the 'macho culture' and Catholic faith. The producers let him have his painted nails, and they let him do things like tie-dye cookies, which aren't Mexican in any way. I think that's great.

Which brings me to my next point. As a brown skinned man, Rick is not pigeonholed into "only doing taco videos". Sure, he's done videos from Mexico, taquerias in Austin, along with the refried beans and homemade flour tortilla videos. But he's also done great videos on making a chocolate cake, apple pie, toffee cookies, cocktails, cider donuts, and even chicken scarpariello.

So when other people come out and say things like "brown people aren't allowed to make white recipes at BA", and everyone flips their lid without even realizing it's not true, I get upset.

“As a Mexican-American man, Martinez felt compelled in his years on staff at Bon Appétit to keep producing food from his own ethnic background, even as he feared being "pigeon-holed" as someone who could only develop Latinx recipes. According to Martinez, Andrew Knowlton, then the deputy editor of Bon Appétit, once asked Martinez if he was "a one-trick pony" due to his focus on Mexican cuisine. Knowlton also told Martinez that his job developing Mexican recipes must have been easier due to his childhood eating his mother's cooking.”

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

BA Chefs: Bon Appetít

CNE and BA culture: boneappletea

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

$35k pre tax without any raise or even a COL adjustment in 3 years to live in NYC and be an errand runner for a smug douche. Goddamn.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It’s Alive! Murdered by Capitalism!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

And actually knew how to cook before starting a show where he cooks things.

Fake edit: That sounds catty, sorry. I like Andrew Rea, and have watched probably 80% of all of his episodes. It’s just very obvious that from the beginning he was a pretty enthusiastic occasional home cook. He’s talked about it before, but his background was in design and he started Binging with Babish as a fun thing to do. You can see how awkward he is after it blew up, correcting people that he is not a chef, and didn’t want to try to pass himself off as a professional.

He’s definitely tried to up his game, and succeeded. His Basics series is great, and he’s learned a lot, becoming a solid cook.

Weissman’s background is in high end, contemporary cuisine and it shows. He was pretty early in his career though, and was good but not a rockstar or anything when he quit the restaurant he was working at to focus on YouTube full time.

Babish is about learning new things to stretch to make something cool. Weissman is usually about taking extensive knowledge and applying it to making an excellent but accessible version of a mainstay.

Yeah but Weissman just has a...backpfeifengesicht, as the Germans say.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m curious about their strategy for returning to YouTube. Will they leave comments off for a year? Will their first video transparently feature only BIPOC so people are wary of disliking it?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

fizzymercy posted:

If saucepin becomes a saying I will build a guillotine with my bare hands out of tempered chocolate.

Why do I hate him so much?

I don’t know, but if he gives Sohla a check to do whatever she wants (more stuff like modern carbonara experiments would be excellent) I will put up with overused tiny whisks and ingredients getting to know each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Slotducks posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/bon_appetit/comments/i7ex6n/delaney_on_instagram/

Delaney posted his apology last night - it's good for what it is.

But to me, the second half highlights how loving broken conde nast is - their idealized guy a white cis het person who started from the bottom, gave tons of free labour to, only ended with a 75k salary in loving new york city... Yikes. If that's the ceiling for a guy with the system behind him, I don't want to know where the ceiling was for any non-white males.

Looks like none of the TK people I follow on Instagram have liked or commented on the apology. Not the best look, though I could be reading into things a bit.