Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
It always seemed to me that Molly really did not like being in those videos with Rapoport and doing them only because she had to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

DC Murderverse posted:

honestly you're totally right, I've started to watch BA over the last few months and I've really enjoyed it. The "oh man where are the black people" sensor has gone off a couple times in my head, but because I'm white that noise never really went beyond a low drone. That dull droning was clearly observing the biases that the channel had, not just regarding who is and isn't there, but also who does what out of the people who are there, and I just set it aside because I thought the videos were fun and I picked up some recipes, but clearly that all has a price, and that price is "loving over BIPOC". It sucks and I need to do better.

I hope BA does the right thing and pays all the people who make them so much money, and I hope Rapoport goes away.

There's systemic issues there and if you think it's pay related you would have to be loving blind at this point.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Veskit posted:

There's systemic issues there and if you think it's pay related you would have to be loving blind at this point.

you're right, they need to hire some black hosts and stop making everyone who isn't white only work on recipes that people would assume they got from their grandmas. Plus getting more BIPOC in decision-making positions. The pay is just step one, and something they could easily do with a snap of their fingers right now.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

T.C. posted:

Can anyone explain the actual organizational structure of BA? It seems like everyone is an editor of something, so I'm really unclear which people are in actual positions of authority where they are shaping broad content direction.

cant speak to BA specifically, but lots of entry level print journalism jobs start you as "_______ editor." I assume it is so they can say you're technically management to pay you a salary instead of hourly wages (in america).

i oversee no one and I am a salaried employee with an editor title. thankfully, I am not expected to work more than 40 hours outside of one week a year when I have to travel internationally to cover a giant event.

you can be a salaried employee (exempt from max hours worked/no overtime) and make less than $700/wk last I knew. if you say someone is management and give them a title like someone in management, you can abuse the poo poo out of them with no repercussions. that's my guess as to why everyone on camera is an editor of some stripe

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Bloop

https://twitter.com/haleaziz/status/1270134585859272705?s=21

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

woops

Veskit fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 9, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Hopefully this is positive rather than a scapegoat gotten rid of and nothing changing sort of thing.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

After all that’s happened in 2020 thus far, it’s weird that my biggest crack-ping moment was when all those underlying thoughts about how BA has a great crew and seems like a cool place to work despite ownership by terrible company Condé Nast crystallized and shattered in my brain all at once.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Now let's hope they give a loving paycheck to someone non white

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Brad and Claire need to go on strike until everyone is getting paid properly.

50k/year in NYC? Get fuuuuuuucked.

edit: OK I see Brad and Claire are on strike, so hopefully this will get wrapped up soon and all workers are able to get paid again.

droll fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 9, 2020

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

droll posted:

Brad and Claire need to go on strike until everyone is getting paid properly.

50k/year in NYC? Get fuuuuuuucked.

edit: OK I see Brad and Claire are on strike, so hopefully this will get wrapped up soon and all workers are able to get paid again.

Where'd you hear the Brad and Claire on strike news? And yeah, Sohla making $50k working in Manhattan at a giant media conglomerate and on camera a bunch to boot is ridiculous.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Both of their twitter accounts, unless those are faked.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Veskit posted:

I'm still waiting for some stupid bullshit remark about me feeling gaslighted to believe there's no way clean programming like bon appetit can't be racist and coming out to express how painful it is to see your one place of solace in this world genuinely destroyed by the apathy and hatred of racism in people's heart by the way. Got anything else?

Cause i'm here

Sorry, to be honest I don't know what either of your posts have to do with the one you're quoting

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Eat This Glob posted:

Where'd you hear the Brad and Claire on strike news? And yeah, Sohla making $50k working in Manhattan at a giant media conglomerate and on camera a bunch to boot is ridiculous.

Big thread of stuff here, this is just a screenshot of Brad's story. Note that all this is happening on Instagram, and a significant amount of the BA crew don't have Twitter accounts

https://twitter.com/GabrielJR/status/1270139372080435202

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

xtal posted:

Sorry, to be honest I don't know what either of your posts have to do with the one you're quoting

xtal posted:

Retrospectively this is all totally obvious. Thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/iamnotalexlau/status/1270038290645897219

This reads to me like you're saying of course you find it obvious in retrospect and not now that you're looking back it seems obvious.

Uhhh if you said I in retro find this all obvious then yeah i get it but it sounds like you're telling me that which is... lovely. Now that I read it it's hard to tell what you're getting at and I may have flew off the handle due to being black in america right now.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Veskit posted:

This reads to me like you're saying of course you find it obvious in retrospect and not now that you're looking back it seems obvious.

Uhhh if you said I in retro find this all obvious then yeah i get it but it sounds like you're telling me that which is... lovely. Now that I read it it's hard to tell what you're getting at and I may have flew off the handle due to being black in america right now.

Pretty sure he wasn't directing it at you in a confrontational manner.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Variety's picked up that Rapo is out. You love to see it, now make Sohla the EIC

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/bon-appetit-adam-rapoport-resigns-backlash-1234628301/

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

droll posted:

Both of their twitter accounts, unless those are faked.

Whalley posted:

Big thread of stuff here, this is just a screenshot of Brad's story. Note that all this is happening on Instagram, and a significant amount of the BA crew don't have Twitter accounts

https://twitter.com/GabrielJR/status/1270139372080435202

Thank you both

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Resting Lich Face posted:

Hopefully this is positive rather than a scapegoat gotten rid of and nothing changing sort of thing.

Honestly super impressed to see the "stars" of BA straight up saying they're not going to do any more videos. I don't think I've seen a boycott like that before coming from such visible staff. So if BA and Conde Naste suck rear end, at least the talent is on the right track.

In hindsight I should have noticed that only the white editors had "shows". This is an eye opener for another avenue of privilege we should pay attention to.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
The new-ish SF Chronicle food critic Soleil did a piece on it back in January: https://www.sfchronicle.com/restaurants/article/The-Bon-Appetit-test-kitchen-s-race-problem-15002875.php

She really riled up the local SF food scene by not going to the previous white dudes favorite places, and instead focusing on ethnic/hole in the wall cuisine, too.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Grem posted:

Honestly super impressed to see the "stars" of BA straight up saying they're not going to do any more videos. I don't think I've seen a boycott like that before coming from such visible staff. So if BA and Conde Naste suck rear end, at least the talent is on the right track.

In hindsight I should have noticed that only the white editors had "shows". This is an eye opener for another avenue of privilege we should pay attention to.

It's been brought up a lot in this thread that the white chefs are given much more high profile stuff than the ones of every other ethnicity.

That being said, Andy isn't white and has his "Andy learns _____ cuisine" series, but people have been (or should have been) asking for a Sohla show since she started. I hope she gets a shot now, or that all those editors get scooped by someone willing to pay them.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I guess I never really noticed only white BA staff had shows. Kinda obvious now (though I'm sure it was obvious from the get go) I feel like I let myself down for never noticing :smith:

Rick and Andy had shows right? Or would you call Rick's segments instead?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I guess I never really noticed only white BA staff had shows. Kinda obvious now (though I'm sure it was obvious from the get go) I feel like I let myself down for never noticing :smith:

Rick and Andy had shows right? Or would you call Rick's segments instead?

Andy has a fairly regular series where he learns a different ethnic cuisine each time. I'm not aware of Rick having anything regular? Most of the editors have done one-off recipes but nothing like It's Alive/Gourmet Makes/Molly Learns Whatever/Chris Guesses The Thing

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I read an interview Sohla did a while ago where she talked about how she just made plain American burgers in her restaurant but all these customers would tell her they tasted so exotic and that she must use some crazy spices from her ethnic background. She got tired of it and just started lying and saying yeah she puts Indian spices in them because that's what people want from her. If you're brown and work at BA they won't let you make french food. Look like Molly then it's permissable to add a zaatar rub to your pork chops.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I know Andy had his show where he recreates local restaurant food. I guess thats a show proper as too everyone elses one off segments where they cook something for us or guest star. Rick had the shtick of the cool slow mo dramtic intros though so that's probably why I thought he had a show ?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I read an interview Sohla did a while ago where she talked about how she just made plain American burgers in her restaurant but all these customers would tell her they tasted so exotic and that she must use some crazy spices from her ethnic background. She got tired of it and just started lying and saying yeah she puts Indian spices in them because that's what people want from her. If you're brown and work at BA they won't let you make french food. Look like Molly then it's permissable to add a zaatar rub to your pork chops.

This is really typical of the Indian experience, and probably a lot of other ethnicities in North America. If you're not being negatively othered because your culture is strange and scary, you're othered because your not exotic enough.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I know Andy had his show where he recreates local restaurant food. I guess thats a show proper as too everyone elses one off segments where they cook something for us or guest star. Rick had the shtick of the cool slow mo dramtic intros though so that's probably why I thought he had a show ?

Yeah, Rick doesn't have a show exactly (is he even on staff full time at BA right now?), but he's got an appropriately over the top introduction whenever he does do a recipe video.
With Sohla it's a mixed bag, she gets to cut loose and make experimental carbonara in one video but then has to walk Brad through how to make dosas in the next. I don't know the views they'd get, but a video series where Sohla goes full mad food scientist would be a fascinating watch.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

The interview: https://www.gq.com/story/what-happens-when-a-brown-chef-cooks-white-food

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

If you're brown and work at BA they won't let you make french food. Look like Molly then it's permissable to add a zaatar rub to your pork chops.

Right, similar to how this kicked off in part because Rapoport shot down a Puerto Rican pitching an article on a Puerto Rican dish, but let Molly write an article about Puerto Rican food stalls in the May ‘20 issue.

I would love to see what Sohla could come up with on a budget of $X and a week to experiment.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This thing is nuts. There's goes my favorite cooking channel.

BA has a very diverse crew. Nobody can argue that. Sohla, Priya, Christina, Andy, Rick, Gaby....

Sure, Brad and Claire are the big stars and they're white, but the others are getting followings and are in more videos all the time.

Is it wrong that Rick makes tacos and Priya makes dosas? Would you rather have Morocco make the tacos when....rick could do it? Remember the episode where Claire made loving ribs in a loving oven? You think Claire can make good ribs or even throws down on ribs? I'm using my Jewish stereotype that she doesn't. Maybe I'm wrong.

People are complaining how the "brown people" aren't in videos with lots of views. Sorry that the few African food videos they have done don't get many hits. The food isn't that popular and people aren't interested in it. Not many people watch Amiels recipe videos either.

As far as they video pay goes, if they are doing videos for free, they need to fix their contracts or however they get paid. I'm guessing Brad gets paid a certain amount for an it's alive episode. Who knows. So if rick is getting paid a generic hourly rate or whatever his fees are, wherever he's shooting a video or testing recipes or however it works...it just sounds bad that they aren't getting paid "for videos". They aren't forcing them to stay there and do them for absolutely no pay.

Forcing AR to step down for a Halloween Party 16 years ago Is a bit of a stretch. Maybe he makes Puerto Rican jokes in his office. Who knows.

I also love how Carla/Molly/Claire/Brad all jumped on the train of not shooting any more videos until the others are paid for being in them...where the duck were you guys two or three years ago when they weren't getting paid? Stop acting like you give a poo poo. You didn't know? You guys are so full of loving poo poo.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i think you managed to hit 8 separate lovely arguments in your post, well done

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Bob Morales posted:

You didn't know? You guys are so full of loving poo poo.

That's very possible. Likely, even.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Every Way to Make an Awful Argument in Favour of BA's Bullshit Racist Practices

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kim Justice posted:

Every Way to Make an Awful Argument in Favour of BA's Bullshit Racist Practices

*gesticulating wildly*

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thom and the Heads posted:

That's very possible. Likely, even.

People have no ideas what their coworkers make? On what planet. Even if you don't know exactly what, you know they're getting paid way more than you or for poo poo you don't get paid for.

BA will introduce the WHEEL OF RECIPES to randomly assign recipes to be fair.

Sorry that I don't want to watch Molly make tacos.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

This thing is nuts. There's goes my favorite cooking channel.

BA has a very diverse crew. Nobody can argue that. Sohla, Priya, Christina, Andy, Rick, Gaby....

Sure, Brad and Claire are the big stars and they're white, but the others are getting followings and are in more videos all the time.

Is it wrong that Rick makes tacos and Priya makes dosas? Would you rather have Morocco make the tacos when....rick could do it? Remember the episode where Claire made loving ribs in a loving oven? You think Claire can make good ribs or even throws down on ribs? I'm using my Jewish stereotype that she doesn't. Maybe I'm wrong.

People are complaining how the "brown people" aren't in videos with lots of views. Sorry that the few African food videos they have done don't get many hits. The food isn't that popular and people aren't interested in it. Not many people watch Amiels recipe videos either.

As far as they video pay goes, if they are doing videos for free, they need to fix their contracts or however they get paid. I'm guessing Brad gets paid a certain amount for an it's alive episode. Who knows. So if rick is getting paid a generic hourly rate or whatever his fees are, wherever he's shooting a video or testing recipes or however it works...it just sounds bad that they aren't getting paid "for videos". They aren't forcing them to stay there and do them for absolutely no pay.

Forcing AR to step down for a Halloween Party 16 years ago Is a bit of a stretch. Maybe he makes Puerto Rican jokes in his office. Who knows.

I also love how Carla/Molly/Claire/Brad all jumped on the train of not shooting any more videos until the others are paid for being in them...where the duck were you guys two or three years ago when they weren't getting paid? Stop acting like you give a poo poo. You didn't know? You guys are so full of loving poo poo.

:chloe:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Bob Morales posted:

People have no ideas what their coworkers make? On what planet.

This one. Americans by and large have issues discussing their wages with their coworkers and HR departments specifically dissuade people from doing so.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

People have no ideas what their coworkers make? On what planet. Even if you don't know exactly what, you know they're getting paid way more than you or for poo poo you don't get paid for.

BA will introduce the WHEEL OF RECIPES to randomly assign recipes to be fair.

Sorry that I don't want to watch Molly make tacos.

I don't even know why I'm entertaining this but the issue is that people like Sohla and Rick are pigeonholed into making Indian and Mexican dishes, respectively, almost exclusively while they let the white chefs make whatever they want. I actually do want Priya to make tacos (if she wants to!)

And yes, there are loads of workplaces, mine included, where people don't know if their colleagues are making more or less than them. I'm on the same salary grid as about 25-30 people I work with and next to all day (or did, before teleworking became a thing for us) and I have no idea who is making what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Nice troll post. Everyone bit.