Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Hello!

Why the gently caress is there no Hurling megathread? I'm sure a few goons out there play the sport, and more than a few are soulless Irish gingers that actively watch it.

I just started playing and enjoy it a ton. Can you educate me on the finer aspects of Hurling? Once I've got a bit of time I'll spruce up this post and add some All-Ireland videos.

Basic intro for those who have no idea what I'm talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzivRetelE
:black101:

Resources
http://www.gaa.ie/hurling/ - Your official source for Hurling and Hurling accessories.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurling - Liberal propaganda with Hurling as the theme.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hurling is basically "hey remember how lacrosse added pads? Yeah gently caress that."

I love it :toot:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

DJExile posted:

Hurling is basically "hey remember how lacrosse added pads? Yeah gently caress that."

I love it :toot:

I've got a game on Saturday over in Madison. Let's see how my body holds up. I've yet to break anything important, but having stopped shots with soft tissue, I can say it leaves a hell of a bruise.

My fingers really, really, really resent my new hobby.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Thank you for making a thread about a fake sport invented for movies to have dystopian prisons make their inmates play to the death

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
When I was growing up I had an Irish nanny, and since she practically raised me she's been super close with my family every since then (i was the ringbearer at her wedding) and my family has gone to visit her family in Ireland several times.

I remember hearing about hurling and how brutal it was, but it wasn't until I went over there and actually held a stick that I realized "Wait how is everybody who has ever tried to play this sport not dead?"

Also if you can find it, the episode of "Dhani Tackles The Globe" that is shot in Ireland is amazing. (Everybody calls him "Danny" the whole time because they can't pronounce Dhani at all.)

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 20, 2016

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
http://www.madisonhurling.com/

This is what we were up to on Saturday.

Thanks to the Fox River/Appleton dudes. We had a fantastic tournament despite only being able to bring 4 dudes. That drive was a huge loving pain in the rear end (11 hours) but totally worth it.

I also made my way out of WI with 2 6-packs of local beer :kimchi:

Lose
Win
Lose

I managed to put in a hit on some guy double my size and flattened him :v:

Do any of you play the sport?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hurling owns

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

What's up with the thread title?

You hurl after you drink.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Rotten Cookies posted:

What's up with the thread title?

You hurl after you drink.

Nah brah, you hurl and afterwards you get lovely with your new hurling buds.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
hurling is cool to watch imo

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You should have made this thread earlier in bye season OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Someone with a sense of decency and some understanding of the finer points of this game should have taken point on this.

I'm not taking any blame.

• Locked thread