Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Fewd posted:

Two hours of "heh, dongs" and getting eaten by crocodiles and then nothing, an endless void.

I came really close to buying this when my old rust group had gone on hiatus but the gameplay/tutorial videos I saw weren't too helpful. I really dodged a bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

It's almost as if :goon:ing a game in week 1 out of 52 of early access is inevitably going to end in tears.

It could still end up being a decent game if Funcom keeps supporting it post actual launch.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I had fun playing naked muscleman themed minecraft with my friends until a patch bug destroyed most of our base and everyone lost interest. If you want to be naked in the desert and build stuff I say go for it.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

this game could be worth playing in the future but no one here seems to be following the development anymore. i think they added climbing but there are probably still tons of bugs and exploits plus features like magic aren't in yet. at least it isn't abandonware :scrunt:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
When this actually releases I definitely plan to give it another shot. The EA launch was entertaining enough that I feel like I already got my $25 worth out of the game so Im not too concerned if its going to be a mess.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CoffeeBooze posted:

When this actually releases I definitely plan to give it another shot. The EA launch was entertaining enough that I feel like I already got my $25 worth out of the game so Im not too concerned if its going to be a mess.

Early access games don't launch.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I had fun for a few weeks. It got old having to restart for the 100th time and every server being completely littered with single building tiles so that you couldn't actually setup a base anywhere because all the land was "claimed". Wandering around the map trying to find a place to setup a small poop hut and you wide up in the middle of nowhere near no resources.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Probably get roasted for saying this, but this game could really use a single-player component. It's the only way to give it some longevity.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pioneer42 posted:

Probably get roasted for saying this, but this game could really use a single-player component. It's the only way to give it some longevity.

You're not wrong.
I'd love a game like this where there is a goal of hand-building a town and palace.
Yeah you can do that in Minecraft but there is no point.

I want to scrape by at first to carve out my own place in the world to build my castle and army and take it against the big bad. Kinda like a 3rd person RTS.

gently caress that would rule.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Isn't that kind of their plan? For you to build little villages with NPC's and what not?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Harminoff posted:

Isn't that kind of their plan? For you to build little villages with NPC's and what not?

That is the plan. They want you to be able to automate NPCs to craft/gather etc. As well as having them do patrol routes and such.

The tentative release is like next march?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Harminoff posted:

Oh absolutely but there isn't a central/final goal like you would find if it were a single player game.

I've fallen out of love with these games now that I'm a lovely adult with little free time. I like my games to have goals, finality or at least something akin to a Roguelike.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Inzombiac posted:

Oh absolutely but there isn't a central/final goal like you would find if it were a single player game.

I've fallen out of love with these games now that I'm a lovely adult with little free time. I like my games to have goals, finality or at least something akin to a Roguelike.

I guess there are like the raid bosses for that. Giant spider, dragon etc. They've put in dungeons to delve, and once they add that wave of murderous NPCs there'll even be a reason to build base defense in single player I imagine.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
they're planning on a raid mode? that's what got me hooked on 7 days to die even though that game was much worse in every way. If there's actually a reason to build a glittering citadel it'll own.

The Iron Llama
Mar 12, 2011

A genius billionaire playboy camelid.

I've been reading the dev blogs as they come out, and it seems like they plan on having something called 'the Purge' sweep through the map at random intervals. Basically an NPC horde led by some of the major villains from the books. Those signal fires you see all over the place will alert you when they're on their way, and you're supposed to be able to do things to influence where they hit. Seems like good fun, if they pull it off.

Also, they're supposedly working on story content, but are explicitly keeping it out of early access. Presumably, to keep people from running through it and spoiling it on a dozen youtube channels before the game is even out.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Yeah I'm not really worried about content. They have added quite a bit already with more on the horizon.

Server stability/performance and post launch support + content (or the possible lack of it) worries me a bit more :v:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

they're planning on a raid mode? that's what got me hooked on 7 days to die even though that game was much worse in every way. If there's actually a reason to build a glittering citadel it'll own.

7 Days To Die is way, way better than Exiles right now. The game is actually in a pretty good place now despite being in EA hell.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

If you haven't learned by this point that EA survival games often die off quickly and barely get released at all I have a timeshare arrangement you may be interested in.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

CoffeeBooze posted:

7 Days To Die is way, way better than Exiles right now. The game is actually in a pretty good place now despite being in EA hell.

Hope you don't play online. Ever notice how players constantly join and leave the server? They're duping items. It's widespread and easy as hell to do in that game, making everything entirely pointless. And it's been the same since the very beginning.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Who gives a gently caress about that? Are they physically holding you down and making you dupe the items lol. Playing survival games with randos has always been a bad idea.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Who gives a gently caress about that? Are they physically holding you down and making you dupe the items lol. Playing survival games with randos has always been a bad idea.

Not everyone has like 60 close friends who all want to play a game to fill up a server with.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

Hope you don't play online.

lol no why on earth would anyone do that?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Spanish Matlock posted:

Not everyone has like 60 close friends who all want to play a game to fill up a server with.

7 days to die is a great time even with, like, 5 friends.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

7 days to die is a great time even with, like, 5 friends.

This.

My group has been having fun for the last few weeks. Were running valmod though. 5 of us vs the horde.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Inzombiac posted:

You're not wrong.
I'd love a game like this where there is a goal of hand-building a town and palace.
Yeah you can do that in Minecraft but there is no point.

I want to scrape by at first to carve out my own place in the world to build my castle and army and take it against the big bad. Kinda like a 3rd person RTS.

gently caress that would rule.
You may want to give Planet Explorers a look. I've briefly played it myself, and it seems to have a single-player component with a storyline where you will ultimately end up having to build a colony and take care of NPCs. You also continually had to do quests for NPCs, which was pretty nice and actually steered you a bit towards gameplay.

Seeing some mixed reviews tho'.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Baron von der Loon posted:

You may want to give Planet Explorers a look. I've briefly played it myself, and it seems to have a single-player component with a storyline where you will ultimately end up having to build a colony and take care of NPCs. You also continually had to do quests for NPCs, which was pretty nice and actually steered you a bit towards gameplay.

Seeing some mixed reviews tho'.

OH!
I have a couple friends that suggested it and then I forgot. Thanks.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

So in this game you kind of just run around naked getting sunburned, digging up grubs to eat while trying to avoid predators and man-apes? Is that about the gist of it?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
No you can also build yourself a mud castle and enslave the natives until you log in the next day and find out someone knocked down your mud castle and took your stuff.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Complete map/character wipes coming halfway through August, they're adding an entire new landmass/biome to the mix and honestly it looks pretty drat cool.

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots
Did anyone ever cobble together a dedicated server manager with a GUI like the one for ARK? I'm getting tired of loving around in config files to run my server and each update makes it come apart at the seems a little more.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

New biome video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofQKH_MB2EU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That looks pretty cool, might have to jump back in and check it out.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
The biome looks nice, but I really want the improved thrall system they mentioned in the past before playing this again. With thralls that can be set to gathering/hunting. No news about magic either, so far ....

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 3, 2017

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Have there been any engine optimizations at all in the latest updates? Last I played, just running forward for more than 20 seconds produced quite severe lag for me as the world loaded in, even though I'm running the game off an SSD.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

The biome looks nice, but I really want the improved thrall system they mentioned in the past before playing this again. With thralls that can be set to gathering/hunting. No news about magic either, so far ....

The devs have previously mentioned that they'll start on mounts, sorcery and an expanded thrall system after the new biome is finished.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I'd suggest getting some goons together to play the new poo poo but I'm in Asia so I can't play with anyone, iirc.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Lima posted:

The devs have previously mentioned that they'll start on mounts, sorcery and an expanded thrall system after the new biome is finished.

Well then sounds like idgaf about this game yet

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Will your penis shrink in the cold?? I swear to God if my nipples don't start jutting out below 30 degrees I'm uninstalling

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'd suggest getting some goons together to play the new poo poo but I'm in Asia so I can't play with anyone, iirc.

Did they up the server limit? Otherwise have fun with like a 10 man squad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Gay Horney posted:

Will your penis shrink in the cold?? I swear to God if my nipples don't start jutting out below 30 degrees I'm uninstalling

We found the skyrim mod player guys.

• Locked thread