Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Spanish Matlock posted:

I kind of feel like this is better than ARK in some ways, because it focuses more on you as the character rather than your menagerie of flintstones appliances. It's as easy to get absolutely hosed if you don't have a strong tribe, but if you have a couple of friends you won't have to stab hyenas to death for very long before you can make a cool house. The building system is a ton better, because it focuses on aesthetics and creating cool looking structures with like skull windchimes and rhino heads on the walls and poo poo, rather than everyone living in basically the same metal box studded with turrets. The building system also lets you merge your buildings with the surrounding terrain to create more naturalistic looking structures, rather than always the aforementioned box on a flat spot design of ARK.

It really depends on what you want from the game, and how many of your friends you can convince to come play it with you. Single player is only marginally more fun than it is in comparable games, and then only because you can actually build some very cool looking structures.

The climbing system is actually pretty amazing and gives you a real feeling of freedom, like you can go anywhere, but it also removes the one exploit (cliff building) that made being a small tribe viable.

I'm pretty much waiting until release at this point, I came back to play it with a friend of mine for a few weeks last month and it was a lot of fun, and I assume by the time they hit release next year there will have been a comparable amount of improvement over what I last played. YMMV.

I think the other thing is that while I think Conan is a little more grindy than it should be, it's nowhere near as bad as Ark. Sure, you can fix Ark with mods and server settings (points to Conan for exposing that stuff even more readily) but it says a lot about the dev's sensibilities if you compare the two.

That said, I wish there was more to the Thrall mechanic than traversing half the world to get one dude (and that making remote wheels of pain is the only way to make that poo poo tolerable).

The devs have been hinting at major changes upcoming to gear repair and combat.

Agree that the climbing system is fun and actually surprisingly robust. I didn't expect it to let me climb purely horizontally (I mean hanging on the underside of objects)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread