Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
It seems way more approachable than ARK to me. Even on regular server rates I was able to wall off a little valley and build a house and crafting tables in a couple of hours of work. I was accosted by some people and had a tense standoff where they were shooting me with arrows and I'd occasionally jump off my wall to stab them in their faces. I feel like I've gained some good experience and if someone were to wipe out my little house now it'd set me back very little and would be more a waste of their time than mine. And that's just dicking around by myself. I'm planning to get another couple taiwan goons together to scourge the asia servers a bit and spread the gospel of Taiwan #1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So in my solo play it seems like the first big bottleneck is iron. It only seems to spawn up in the mountains. At least the run there and back is interesting and fraught with hyenas and ostriches though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

There are a lot of things that this game does right. You can gather stones from the ground while holding a weapon, you can repair stuff while it's still in your hotbar, you can have a reasonably safe hide set up almost immediately, the combat is pretty engaging and easy to get into, and the crafting (so far at level ~15ish) doesn't require 10,000 iron or anything.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 14, 2017

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Popete posted:

Any tips for protecting my poo poo hovel? I set my base up in a nice spot out of the way and hidden but occasionally someone swings by to destroy all my storage containers and it's really annoying. I'm only level 10 with stone poo poo and no thralls so idk what I should be doing to prevent it.

Levelling up. Pretty much everything you own is subject to getting ganked until you can learn level 2 structures.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

We just made it to iron weapons, just about to crack level 2 structures, but we built a nice base with a series of gates and walls to keep people out, so they'd have to cut through some multiple layers of defense, also we weren't in a hugely trafficked area. Definitely don't build big boxes on flat plains, or you'll get your poo poo wrecked.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

So a group of NPCs that tame animals makes me feel like the next god to get added is going to be Jhebbal Sag.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

We play on a 2x server, which seems like not too much or too little. I can't imagine that 1x sucks that bad.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

They apparently region locked the official servers to prevent East/West fuckery, but this move somehow made the official servers start showing up at all for me here in Taiwan. I guess Taiwanese are the new offline raiding kings?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Man it really sucks that Asia isn't allowed to play on official servers. We had a good local server, but they mysteriously shut down after the last patch, which kind of sucks, because even if we move servers there's no guarantee that they won't just vanish again.

Snatch Duster posted:

Uh night is the loving best. If your server doesn't have night at equal lengths as days then lol just lol

Yeah, we tried out a new server and they have like ten seconds of night. No nighttime raiding, no reason to ever build torches or lamps. Sad.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Got a pretty hot base set up today, but thanks to the clan ownership glitch we can't place any further things into our base until the server resets, which will happen... sometime? loving Asian offical servers can't come fast enough.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

ohsosad posted:

It all comes back to the loving fishing goons in Archeage.

Also can we ever expect official servers in Australia or are lovely dedicated servers with insane admins the best we get here?

I feel you man. Taiwan goon, and the last three servers I started up on disappeared. I'm starting to think I'm cursed.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

"We are releasing Asian servers"

There is one 40/40 Asian pvp server and one 40/40 blitz server.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

So this game is literally unplayable right now. Clockwork 10 minute server crashes on the only Asia official server. I can only imagine it's from whatever halfass thing they implemented to try to stop people from building on NPC spawns, which also didn't work at all since every NPC spawn on the server is built over.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Man they have to be wiping official servers soon right? There's not a single productive thrall camp anywhere on the map in the asia servers.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

methamphetamine posted:

Is there any reason to build tier 2 or tier 3 buildings? It seems like the only way to play the game right now is to build on a cliff and remove the stairs behind you. If the glitches allowing people to jump past these stairs are now gone (is that true?) then the only way to destroy a cliff base is to summon gods on them. And since gods destroy tier 3, it seems like it doesn't matter whether you have tier 1 or tier 3 walls on your base.

Also, I've been playing on 178 under the name Jash for a while -- I hang out in the northwest. Didn't want to get too caught up in the galactic battles that are going on with LLJK. If you see me I'm a goon friend or if anyone here is small fish and wants to join me come let me know.

It doesn't because you can't defend a base any other way. Ideally you would start with a cliffside base and expand out with tier 2 and 3 materials when you can make them. But if you can't break any thralls to guard your base (because every thrall camp is completely empty) there's nothing stopping people from raiding.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Snatch Duster posted:

First off, thralls suck dick and can't fight worth a poo poo. Also Gods are extremely easy to farm up and allows the "alpha" clan to wipe anyone at will.

The only defense from being raided is building small, on top of a huge rear end mesa that no one can see from the ground besides the stairs. Like, don't even build foundations or walls. Just plop down crafting stations.

You seem angry.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

The admin of my server wiped everything without warning, cool.
That kinda kills all motivation to play.

I'm having a blast on the new Asia officials, but when and if this poo poo gets wiped or whatever I'll probably exclusively stick to ~4-5x servers, like I did with ARK, or see if I can somehow hook up with goons, despite there being no asia goons vOv

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I was just thinking that I really miss the torpor system from ARK. There's a bunch of level 50 Chinese with a base under the mountain by the Stygian city, and I've got a bed on a cliff not to far away, and it'd be nice to be able to punch them unconscious and take their undoubtedly duped stuff.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Not the same at all, and also default behavior on official.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Space Monster posted:

What's the motivation to play on an official server in the first place? From what I've read the exploiting and lack of admin support for a buggy game like Conan can make the game into purified poo poo. Add to that the grind at 1x experience and gather rates...it just seems like a conan themed torture chamber.

I play in the asia region, so for me the attraction is a server that will probably still be here next week. I've got a pretty secure cliff setup and I'm just waiting out the exploits being fixed. RN there's some mainlanders building underground bases around the stygian city so there's no real reason to play, unfortunately there's no better unofficial alternative for this region. vOv

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The obvious next step is forcing tribes to follow one god.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

It's still in early access, very early, like 2nd month. I wouldn't count it out yet, but there are a couple pretty gamebreaking bugs they've been having trouble nailing down. Namely:

1) Being able to fly/jump up mountains
2) Being able to build poo poo underground
3) Being able to loot your own body and/or lock your equipment to it so no one else can take it when they kill you.

There were other serious bugs with blocking NPCs from spawning, but that's fixed now. And a couple of the above are fixed for now (until someone figures out how to break them again) and/or being actively worked on.

So the long story short is that it'll probably be a good game to play in a couple months, but right now it's only fun if you know how to use the exploits and have enough people playing that you can force your way to level 2 structures and plop a fortress on a mountain.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

There is a good game here though, this isn't like no man's sky. And it is heartening that they did finally un-gently caress the NPC spawns, so I'd recommend having a little faith that before the year is out this will be a good thing. They seem to be adding content while at least trying to tackle persistent bugs.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Popete posted:

I feel like the biggest issue they need to grapple is land ownership. As it stands any semi organized group rushes a server dropping single tiles all over the map which prevents anyone from building. It's a huge road block if you're joining late or playing solo cause the only places left to setup camp are poo poo holes with no resources nearby and you'll probably end up getting endlessly raided.

There's already decay for small structures that's reasonably fast, it could probably be faster though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The real problem is that at some point on almost every server some dingus will decided to build a sandstone wall across just about every pass from the starting area up into the mountains, those walls will take ages to despawn and there's no way to get iron weapons in the starting area, let alone the steel weapons you'd need to bypass those walls. And since everyone with steel weapons is off in their bases in the north with 0 need to ever go back to the original spawn, there's no chance anyone else will ever take them down.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

GoGoGadget posted:

They really just need to add iron in the southern part of the map. Renders the entire area pointless since there is no iron and you hit the point of needing iron very quickly

Yeah it doesn't make a ton of sense, especially since you need steel to break things now, and especially especially since there IS a source of brimstone in the southern part of the map. Priorities messed up across the board.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Pastry Mistakes posted:

How long is this supposed to be in early access?

It's slated for a year of early access, the salt squad above notwithstanding. They've got a pretty decent roadmap for what they want to do with it, and all signs point to it being maybe kind of okay by release, there's just a lot of bugs that need squashing, and a lot of people who think early access means "I should be able to play a feature complete version of this game with no bugs a year early".

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

To be fair I'm not still playing it, but I have a vaguely positive feeling about the chances of me enjoying another month or so of it this summer some time vOv

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Isn't that kind of their plan? For you to build little villages with NPC's and what not?

That is the plan. They want you to be able to automate NPCs to craft/gather etc. As well as having them do patrol routes and such.

The tentative release is like next march?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Oh absolutely but there isn't a central/final goal like you would find if it were a single player game.

I've fallen out of love with these games now that I'm a lovely adult with little free time. I like my games to have goals, finality or at least something akin to a Roguelike.

I guess there are like the raid bosses for that. Giant spider, dragon etc. They've put in dungeons to delve, and once they add that wave of murderous NPCs there'll even be a reason to build base defense in single player I imagine.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Who gives a gently caress about that? Are they physically holding you down and making you dupe the items lol. Playing survival games with randos has always been a bad idea.

Not everyone has like 60 close friends who all want to play a game to fill up a server with.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I'd suggest getting some goons together to play the new poo poo but I'm in Asia so I can't play with anyone, iirc.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Fewd posted:

It does look good, I'm still hoping this is gonna be a Good Game around 1.0

But then again, this is Funcom. Can never forget this is Funcom :smith:

Everything they touch sooner or later rots and withers into poo poo.

I stick by what I've been saying since the beginning, it's always been about as busted as ARK was during development, and that's actually a pretty fun and feature complete game now as we near release day.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Been really enjoying this since the Frozen North came out. Climbing around the ice crags fighting frost giants is pretty great.

Edit: It's surprisingly easy to get stuff now, since NPCs can drop all kinds of weapons. I think we got a steel-tier weapon from a dude in one of the watchtowers and used it to ransack a nearby sandstone base. We stole a bunch of high level gear and eventually found a chest full of explosives which we used to torch the entire building.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I kind of feel like this is better than ARK in some ways, because it focuses more on you as the character rather than your menagerie of flintstones appliances. It's as easy to get absolutely hosed if you don't have a strong tribe, but if you have a couple of friends you won't have to stab hyenas to death for very long before you can make a cool house. The building system is a ton better, because it focuses on aesthetics and creating cool looking structures with like skull windchimes and rhino heads on the walls and poo poo, rather than everyone living in basically the same metal box studded with turrets. The building system also lets you merge your buildings with the surrounding terrain to create more naturalistic looking structures, rather than always the aforementioned box on a flat spot design of ARK.

It really depends on what you want from the game, and how many of your friends you can convince to come play it with you. Single player is only marginally more fun than it is in comparable games, and then only because you can actually build some very cool looking structures.

The climbing system is actually pretty amazing and gives you a real feeling of freedom, like you can go anywhere, but it also removes the one exploit (cliff building) that made being a small tribe viable.

I'm pretty much waiting until release at this point, I came back to play it with a friend of mine for a few weeks last month and it was a lot of fun, and I assume by the time they hit release next year there will have been a comparable amount of improvement over what I last played. YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Lima posted:

New patch and full wipes on most official servers.

I'm still looking forward to hopping back into this when it full releases in March or whatever. It's still unfortunate that they region gated it so I can't actually play with anyone from here, but hopefully I'll be able to round up enough Taiwan people to make a worthwhile go of it.

• Locked thread