Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Read through the AMA that the devs did a few months back and gathered some info.
  • Aiming for 100 players per server, 53km squared world at launch, less in early access until they add in the other biomes
  • Human NPCs are in the game and seem to be important to it.
  • Purge system has NPC armies invading your lands
  • Crafting is one of the most important things in the game, as well as combat.
  • Crafting will have paths and you will not be able to learn everything (probably able to be changed per server) "For example, the brute crafting path lets you make maces and mauls, while the archer crafting path will let you make bows and arrows. You can always go back and learn other paths, but your points will be limited so you must make choices."
  • No wipes unless they are forced to do so for some unforseen reason.
  • Dev's creative vision for the game "falls somewhere between Ark and Skyrim - a world that preexisted and filled with NPC factions - who you beat to death and then build your own kingdom on their ashes. There are supernatural creatures, you shall see.
  • Clan and clan management will be in at early access, although probably not feature complete.
  • Third and first-person view
  • Combat system will be "like Skyrim/Vermintide. It is skill based, active blocking, positioning and tactical. And fatalities, of course."
  • Ability to capture and sacrifice NPCs/other players to a god of you/your clan's choice.
  • Able to see damage on character models/armor, such as dismemberment by hitting "at the right place with the right weapons"
  • Some sort of magic system tied to the religion you follow

Game is gonna kill Rust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Maybe in the US, but in the EU there are still thousands of players and a very healthy amount of modded servers.

Edit: 40,000 players today alone, 507,000 in the past two weeks according to Facepunch.

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 27, 2016

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

No, the desert is just where you start and what EA will have at first. They said they are adding other biome throughout the EA period and already have screenshots of them.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Looks pretty good. What's the Thrall system they mentioned?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Honestly, I've been looking forward to a game like ARK but without the huge focus on dinosaurs. Seems you may be able to have pets/mounts at some point with this, but thankfully they won't be the PvP focus.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I'm glad this ISN'T an MMORPG. Pretty sure I'll never play another one of those again in my life.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Nechronic posted:

What's the boob situation tho

Most likely a boob slider. No word on boob physics.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

1stGear posted:

They skipped the physique section of the character creator because there are "surprises" that "people have been asking about". So there are most certainly going to be dicks and titties and weirdo neckbeards are not going to be creepy about it at all.

Rust has dicks and pussies and I haven't noticed anyone being TOO weird about it. Besides comparing dick sizes (because they are randomized.)

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

The Conan Community manager (the guy on the left in the video) is a friend of mine. Watching him in uncomfortable situations is fun.

Have you been a part of the alpha or anything, then?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Taylor Swift posted:

Tell him if they need to test Goon Zerg Rushs I got just the men for the job.

Early Access starts at the end of January. Will BMW rise again from the ashes, like a shining, gay phoenix?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

This game isn't even in early access yet and already seems to have more to do than Rust does. Probably going to be a little harder to gently caress up.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Arcland posted:

Can't wait to play Harvest Exiles! (Am actually stupidly attached to farming in games)

I hope this game tones down the farming requirements compared to ARK, though. The Dev stream that focused on building seemed to imply a lot of the higher tier stuff required a lot of time and dedication, so maybe not.

At least there's no multi hour dinosaur tames!

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I don't know how anyone that has looked at this game at all can think it's an MMORPG

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

AriadneThread posted:

the character creation looks miles better then my only other experience with survival games, ark
i don't know if i'd buy this, but i'll be paying attention. i really don't like the whole early access model though, has any survival game ever come out of early access?

Don't think so! But this developer has already launched games and has already stated they do not plan to be in EA for much more than a year.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Prostheticfoot posted:

Yeah it's getting up to the next "release date" for ark I think. Lotta promise there, but kind of a piece of poo poo to play sometimes. This looks a lot better, closer to the primitive plus of ark. I'm ready to take a break from bird wars personally. Any Xbox groups in the making?

Xbox EA isn't until Spring

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

It's almost time, boys and girls. Early Access launches 0600 CET on the 31st or 0900 EST 30th for the US. Will this be the game that finally unites the ARK goon group with the Rust goon group?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Rejdukien posted:

In the first early access version the map's gonna be restricted to the desert starting area, which isn't quite that big:

I guess later as the map gets expanded and if the servers aren't choking down performance wise, the limit's going to get increased.
Also I'd wager to say that the playerlimit only applies to official servers, and even if the slider is capped at 100 at launch, there's surely going to be a mod to lift the limit and let you set whatever you want for your own server.

It's actually 70, isn't it?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Yeah, Steam does not allow for pre-loading or pre-purchasing of Early Access games. And while I'm sure my hopes will be crushed, at least the devs of this game have stated they do not intend for EA to last beyond a year.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Inkel posted:

I've been watching some Twitch streams of this today and the game looks interesting. A couple bugs here and there and the human combat AI is very simplistic, but overall doesn't look too bad for a survival game that's just coming out in early access. Of course the best part of these survival games is goon rushing :goon: a server and conquering all the pubbies. I'll likely pick this up if they stick to the normal <$30 EA pricing.

Good news. They did, it's $30

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Game is being streamed by some reviewers and such https://m.twitch.tv/tpreview is the one I'm watching. Started not long ago.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Uh triple post but...what type of server are we looking to play on? Pvp blitz is increased rates (who knows how much) with monthly wipes. Regular pvp is 1x but no wipes.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Taylor Swift posted:

BMW MASTER PLAN is play on Official Server

vvv In theory, but there will def be a wipe after EA and probably a few in the mean time due to inevitable game breaking bugs.

Those are official server types.

Did ARK ever wipe?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

They've already said on reddit that they are working on a fix for rubber banding but that it is also caused by what is essentially a DDOS of their servers with everyone trying to log in and refreshing server lists and all.

Source: me, the head CM guy responded to me.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I can't wait for the day that online play is like offline. It's almost a completely different game. Mobs use special attacks and the AI actually functions.

Also not everyone starts in the exact same spot like some people think. It's either instanced or there are multiple similar but different spots to start at off of the map.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

193 (and other pvp blitz servers) are bugged and xp and gathering rates are back at 1x. Others are reporting it on Reddit as well. I posted for 193 specifically. So that's another reason that the pop is low besides us. That and the Europe mislabelling.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

There's at least 5-6 euros afaik? Might be a lot more, I just have a hard time telling accents that aren't german or scandinavian.

And some of us blend in because we're Americans in Europe (me)

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Did they fix the rates on 193 yet? I'm at work and can't check. Kinda defeats the purpose of a PVP Blitz server if it's still 1x!

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Scarecow posted:

Is it normal for this game to take a bazillion years to join a server?

Do you have a HDD or SSD? It takes me less than a minute to join a server with an SSD.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

Great?

Also: How does it compare to Rust in terms of poo poo to do quotient? one thing that pissed me off about rust was it felt so flimsy and weak in game terms once you realized that the only poo poo to do was build a sticker shack and eventually upgrade it to rocks, get some guns and go kill others till you get bored.

I figure at least in conanworld you're going to at least see other people and hear some fuckin' lamentations instead of popping them / getting popped in the head from a bush with an AK-47, but does the PVE poo poo add much depth or does it eventually just boil down to twatting randoms with rocks and sticks all day.

There is definitely a lot more PvE content than Rust even now, just because there are human NPCs and stuff. They are planning on eventually adding a lot more.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I think you guys are over-exaggerating the un-PCness of the Discord. I've been in there off and on for about a year now and there is nothing heinous going on in there. Unless you're from the lovely GBS era of SA. Then I guess it might be, but you'd probably have a conniption fit at any stand-up comedy show. By the way, this is NOTHING compared to the glory days of SA back when we were taking over portions of Second Life....NOTHING.

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 2, 2017

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Patch released an hour ago http://steamcommunity.com/app/440900/discussions/0/142261352660363713//#c133256080238843555

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Buschmaki posted:

The last time I joined an un-PC discord they started ranting about ghetto names and how black siblings don't have the same last name and then called a black dude who tried to rob a pizza Hut employee a friend of the family twice. Is the discord that Un-PC or is it like, not full of racists?

There's a German or two in there

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

That's pretty impressive they fixed rubber banding with one patch

It's totally fixed? Because their fix seemed related to big buildings causing lag and there were no big buildings at the start. Plus they said it was caused by multiple things. Well, good!

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Taylor Swift posted:

Ideally now they can start making changes so that servers can handle more than 40 people. Then the real sperg begins. :getin:

So are we moving off the bugged pvp blitz server then so we can start leveling up on our real target?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Hammerstein posted:

I tried that in single player, but I miss the Ozymandias effect when there are no other players who gawk at my great works.

Yeah, I can never play games like this for extended periods of time in single-player. It all feels so...pointless.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Martout posted:

that sounds like a potentially insanely bad time tbh

It generally isn't. You just have to be careful. So long as the admin doesn't play or at the very least isn't in a clan, everything will usually be alright. I've known quite a few admins for ARK and Rust servers that are totally legit. On the other hand, BMW seems to pick servers with weirdos at the helm most of the time!

There is also an AMA going on right now https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5rukhh/we_are_funcom_ask_us_anything_about_our_recently/

So what's the word for the server we're playing on this weekend?

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 3, 2017

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ugh pressing the hotkey twice to repair an item instantaneously...Game..Unplayable.

This is not a bug. It is intended. It is taking resources still. So yes, it's easy for stone tools and such. Not so easy with steel.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

grimcreaper posted:

Is all the crafting in the game so ridiculously slow? I have the speed at 10x and it takes like 10 minutes to craft a course chest piece.

You have to set it to less than 1x ya dingus.

widespread posted:

I was gonna ask how noticeable the dong slider was but this sounds a lot cooler.

If only we can have proximity chat to shout "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD :black101:"

There is local chat. And guild chat. But why say it in text when you can scream it over your mic?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Ass_Burgerer posted:

So battleeye is bugged to hell? Turned that off.

Is loading into games supposed to take ages? Seriously it's taking me 5 minutes to load in. Got a beefy computer too so I dunno. I suppose I could install this on my SSD if it would help.

Trying to join a friend's game through steam. Loads for 5 minutes, I'm in for a split second and then I lose connection, and I spend another 5 minutes loading the drat main menu wtf. He tried removing the password (I wasn't getting pw prompt) and that doesn't help anything.

Opening inventory, or any menu, for the first time after loading in freezes the game for a good 20ish seconds. My friend says he doesn't have this issue at all.

BattleEye has not been found to be bugged. It's just what everyone says because someone on Reddit said turning it off helped them. Never helped me. But the rubber banding issue had been fixed already anyway.

Open world survival games like this take a long time to load usually. This is way faster than Rust or ARK for me. With my SSD loading into a server for this takes less than a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Kimsemus posted:

Tonight. Like maybe within the next 30 minutes.

Is this up now then or did something go horribly wrong?

When it is set up...make sure the port is 7777 or it won't show up in the in game browser and voice chat won't work (according to recent theories that I have somewhat confirmed myself)

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 5, 2017

• Locked thread