Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nyfrin
Jul 8, 2006

Thursday Next posted:

I found literally the best base location in the early game. Lol at the people claiming islands right at the starting zone.

Well, share! Always good to know good spots.

Thursday Next posted:

But, playing solo is awful. Can someone point me to a link explaining how to use steams server queue thing?

Disclaimer - haven't tried this since I'm at work, but Reddit seems to think it works.

1. Go to your steam page
2. Click view at the top of the page
3. Select servers
4. Select Conan Exiles as the game
5. Sort by alphabet etc and find your server (i.e Official "O")
6. Click join, refresh until it find the player list and set auto-join if full
7. Let Conan Exiles load up to the menu on its own. It will join after about 10 Seconds.

Make sure Conan Exiles is closed before you do these steps.

Nyfrin fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyfrin
Jul 8, 2006

grimcreaper posted:

As the voice of "errr wat" in this thread, and being someone with an opinion i trust for some reason i dont even know: is this game worth buying?

Should i cancel my 2-month-out-to-shipping amazon order of a 960 evo m.2 drive i dont really need and get some steam credit to get this?

There are far worse ways to spend $30. The combat is, well, survival game combat - if you're expecting God of War style fighting, you'll be disapointed. That said, now that the lag is mostly fixed it is certainly challenging, and the game has friendly fire and pretty wide weapon arcs (at least with swords, spears may be better), which means PvP will be hard to mindlessly zerg without killing your own clanmates.

The survival game aspects are 80% of what you'd expect in any survival game - harvesting, building, etc, but it's all done with a bit of polish you wouldn't expect in an early-access game, and Funcom seems to be patching aggressively and fixing problems, so if you like survival games and goofing around with other goons, it's not a bad way to pass the time.

Also, dong sliders and dong physics.

Nyfrin
Jul 8, 2006

lilspooky posted:

How does the map size in this game compare to Ark? Can you actually hide somewhere?

No boats / sea creatures / flying right?

According to the internet, the base map size for Ark is 36km² playable space, and 12km² of ocean. Conan Exiles is 53km² of playable area which includes water as it's all swimmable. No boats or flying, and the only sea creatures are very angry crocodiles on the beaches.

Hiding? Depends on what you mean. If you want to hide while hunting, it's possible if you go far enough north, but that only cuts back on people roaming around. There's a few areas where you can get yourself down in a valley and be largely invisible to everyone, but those spots are on the extreme fringes of the map and that unfortunately means you're far from a water source, which is bad news.

Hiding your 'base' is also maybe sorta possible if you build small and try to wedge into a nook somewhere, but you will be found sooner or later, and you need room to add crafting benches, so eventually the best you can do is to be 'off the beaten path', not hidden. The constant need for food and water isn't as bad as Ark but all food will spoil eventually, so you can't shut yourself in your base forever. Also, the safest places to build a base at the moment is on top of a mesa, some of the best spots will be visible for 3-4km away, so hiding isn't always in your best interest.

Nyfrin
Jul 8, 2006

quote:

Dear Exiles,

A week ago we made the tough decision to end the partnership with our previous official server partner (see statement from 03.02.2017 for more information). Since then we’ve been working hard on getting new official servers online. You have been incredibly patient with us in this matter and we wanted to reach out and express our thanks for your patience.

We also have some good news for you. Today, when the next patch is released, we’ll start the process of bringing official servers back online.

First 81 servers will be going up in the US, with 31 European servers going up tomorrow. Servers will start with a player cap of 40, but this will increase as we monitor performance on the new hardware and are able to ensure an acceptable level of stability and server performance. The plan was for players to keep their progress, but we encountered some instances of corrupt data. Be prepared that there is a chance your progress has been lost.

We are still waiting on hardware for servers on the west coast of the US, South America, Eastern Europe and Oceania. We will be receiving more hardware over the next few weeks and these servers will go up when the hardware is available. We know a lot of players in these territories are waiting for the official servers come up and we’re working hard to make that happen. We truly appreciate your patience.

We also wanted to make a comment about server settings: The settings on the official servers are not “the way we intended the game to be played”. We intended for server admins to create a wide variety of servers with different settings to players could choose a server that best fit their playstyle. We high encourage you to explore the thousands of player-run servers that are out there to find a server that suits you best.

Once again we thank you for your patience.

Your cross awaits, exiles.

Best regards,
The Conan Exiles team

Looks like the officials will be up today, some of them at least.

• Locked thread