Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
It might just be a split lip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Pirate Radar posted:

It's like watching a raccoon break into a supermarket. I can't believe this is happening but I respect that he's having the time of his life.

:golfclap:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Haier I am worried about your health though, because TGM, Traditional Goon Medicine, suggests that your dick may fall off from overuse. I prescribe to you 2 printer-carries a day, up at least 2 storeys. This will help you de-exert your penis and restore lethargy to your genital, which is overactive.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Lmao if you don't live in abject fear that everything you do online will be used against you in the future and ruin your life.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Duterte sure does dress a lot better than Xi. Xi seems to do Trump's thing of big, baggy clothes in unflattering cuts.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

diamond dog posted:

do you know how the term banana republic originated? you might want to read up, it could give you insight as to why duterte would want to distance himself from the US

Duterte is a fool if he thinks the Chinese yoke will not be worse than the American one. The guy's been bought and paid for by the Chinese, just like others were bought and paid for by the Americans. Noble ideals about independence and history rarely factor in to the nitty gritty of politicians' plans.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Thank god the GBS Morality Brigade is here to save us from our own good thread.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

i drank bai jiu today (sorgham wine), i can't loving get the taste out of my mouth

Try getting it out of your clothes or off of a porous surface when spilled. I love baijiu, but the vile reek it leaves behind is terrifying.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
The Superhuman Breeding Ministry of the Middle Kingdom

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Haier posted:

Those GBS 1.0 one-month-long bans a thing of the past. It's a bummer for those who really need it.
I just mean the next time (or the time after) one of those "Post in here to get banned" threads comes along I will posting in there. These forums have taken many (mostly) enjoyable hours away from my life, but after nine years I need a break. I'll keep posting the same tired dumb poo poo until I go, regardless of all the "How dare you"s from single virgin goons.

This is a suicide note post and it makes me sad.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Stuff posted:

How do you rate and keep track of over a billion people

You can do it, just not well.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
The Vietnamese are allowed to say/claim whatever they want. They invented phô.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

THE PWNER posted:

http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/6669 lol

btw I just wanna appreciate how racist we all are for using the China thread as the catch-all Asia thread.

Well, technically it's just the 5000 years of Plunging Thread so it could theoretically deal with wherever Haier has had sex.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I speak English and French natively, and Spanish with a decent degree of fluency. I've learned Latin, Ancient Greek and German in university and college. I've taken classes on Sanskrit, Proto-Indo-European and comparative romance linguistics. When I say "gently caress Chinese for being purposely obtuse and hard to learn", I say so because I am comparing it to literal dead languages that are easier to learn than a living, breathing clusterfuck spoken by 1.6 billion people.

Am I a racist?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
The problem is still that the writing system was by design made to be inaccessible to as much of the population as possible. It reminds me of the way scribes in the ancient near east guarded their writing systems with great jealousy until alphabets/syllabaries became more common.

Except the Chinese writing system, even as simplified, has no logical construction. There's no seeming relation between anything, and you can't predict what a thing is based on what other things are!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

cnut posted:

一二三

:smug:

You stopped right where it gets ballstarded!

四五六七八

Seriously there is no rhyme or reason to it :negative:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Dzhay posted:

I, too, read and write English.

I'm talking about the writing system. Let me explain it.

"A" is a sound, right? And "B" is a sound, right?

AB can be inferred as the sound of A+B

The same as BA can be understood as the sound of B+A.

Now let's try and say BA in chinese. (results based on windows simplified chinese pinyin input)

把,巴,八,拔,爸, AND THE LIST GOES loving ON.

Compare that even to Korean, which has an almost mathematical system for compounding/sandhi, or Sanskrit/Devanagari which has clear rules breaking down vowels and consonants.

My point is: gently caress.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Dzhay posted:

What do you mean "even" Korean? Isn't Korean (almost) perfectly phonetic?

"A" is a whole bunch of sounds, and "B" is arguably two.

I'm not arguing that Chinese isn't worse, it really is, but English writing makes only the most token of gestures towards phonetics.

I'm not even talking about English. That's an assumption y'all are making. My point is that these simple rules apply for any languages that use non-insane scripts. If I see a word I do not recognise, I can still look it up. I can read it, and even make an effort to pronounce it. If I come across , how the hell am I supposed to parse that?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
This is a writing system designed to be hard for hardness' sake. This is the writing system equivalent of the guy who calls people casuals because they don't suffer enough to play games.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

The Great Autismo! posted:

that's the character biang and chinese people don't know how to write it and you'll only see it if you're in a restaurant in shaanxi. i actually learned how to write this in 2012 and like FBR said you learn it by radicals.

it's a terrible character

;)

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

I care about everything I shouldn't, so same.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
drat, Blistex with the heartfelt story of a man and his harem.

For real though, that's touching as heck.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I like the part where dudes are executed by AA gun and it is broadcast on TV and the Glorious Leader, Fatherly Leader, and Great Leader are separate people

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

School Nickname posted:

Forgive my shameless puns but I'm guessing Haier is a master of Relational Algebra and Relational Calculus. Knows exactly how to achieve the desired results.

Also does "Government ID" mean just a general ID or does it mean she works in the civil service? If the latter you might be hosed if she comes back?

China has a kind of "general ID" that doesn't serve a specific purpose like a driver's licence or health card would. It's kind of used like a passport within the country. Can't buy tickets without one. It's population control.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

chinese tradition appears to be completely obsessed with male virility

Ftfy

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Outrail posted:

Smoke two menthol cigarettes and expose your belly to 17C temperate for three hours, and ejaculate once every four hours for a week.
This sounds like a rad vacation imo

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Iirc long fingernails were a sign of wealth since it meant you don't have to work with your hands, so they don't break off or get worn down.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

peanut posted:

I'm allergic to some common TCM ingredients. :sadpeanut:

The common rabbit poop lookin' pill for an upset stomach smells like bbq sauce puke. It is so bad.

I got prescribed a bag of these for a sinus infection. It was a very painful time.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
However, a consult is a service. Whether they walk out with a prescription or not is irrelevant to the doctor's fees.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Outrail posted:

I do market research and the multi level marke.. I mean direct sellers that come of of China are bad even for Mult.. direct sellers. Sorry I don't know why I keep saying that, direct sellers are totally different.

One sold a machine that 'activates water' but even the pseudo science behind it isn't even trying.

Oh you mean one of these? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASnLL6ebaco

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

posting on page 88 of the China thread

You rated this thread an eight! Go Harmoniously and Traditionally Home!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Eww

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

oohhboy posted:

Ehh? That has to be BS or the decimal is in the wrong place as you would have to smuggle 1 ton of meat to "Save" 2 dollars and the costs of collecting that tax would far outweigh the income.

But then this is China BS, there really could be some dude smuggling a ton of meat for 2 extra dollars.

Ever heard of the saying "Penny-wise, Pound-foolish"? People will waste large amounts of time and effort to save amounts that come out to less than their time and effort cost them.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Korea perfected fried chicken and pickled radish.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Outrail posted:

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with pissing on a tree like that.

Anywhere BUT the botanical gardens and would agree with you.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

there are a lot more concerns for the government than a dying internet comedy forum that you have to pay to join, I'm honestly shocked reddit isn't blocked in china, because there's all kinds of information there that i imagine the gov wouldn't want people to see or read

It's easier to leave a few explicitly treasonous sites available so you have legal fodder against anyone who goes there, should you need it.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Blistex posted:

How many people were sitting on small collapsible stools in the aisle so that the driver and attendant could make money on the side?

So that's what those are!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

BONGHITZ posted:

just use the nukes

Can't shoot down an ICBM!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
The F-35 is actually a clever ruse to convince china to design The Worst Plane Ever as a kind of pathetic mockery of The Worst Plane Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

JaucheCharly posted:

The running joke is, that no ethnical restaurant is ever run by the nationality that it advertizes.

Japanese restaurant? Koreans.
Italian restaurant? Egyptians.
Greek restaurant? Turks.
Turkish restaurant? Syrians.
French restaurant? Spaniards.

A good one that I saw myself: Mexican restaurant? Pakistanis. That one was actually pretty tasty.

It is a well known non-secret in my home city that all the best Sushi bars are Vietnamese-run.

• Locked thread