Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nanomashoes posted:

Posted in a /lit/ discussion of Zizek:

*sniffs and tugs shirt excitedly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nope, never noticed that. If they were born here they sound exactly like everyone else. There might be some class issues at play which might subtly affect how some poeple sound, but even that's stretching it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We've got a nice tibetan place in town that also does various buddhist related fundraising and tibetan refugee settling stuff, they're nice.
We also have a "meditation centre" that seems to spend most of it's time protesting that the dalai lama is a HACK and a FRAUD and their anti-pope or what ever is the true one and also the dalai lama is a war criminal or something. Are these guys funded by china or something?

Oh, here we go, they apparently just recently disbanded???
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-dalai-lama-idUSKCN0WD203
"Tseta, who now lives in the United States, said China paid him and other Shugden monks to plan and coordinate these activities. He didn’t provide documentary evidence of Chinese financing of the protests." shocking

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 12, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I started to realize how ever they teach in asia must be hosed up when I was involved in some sort of tutoring and help way back in highschool. We had a large international student program and it was mostly japanese, good-chinese, and HKers. Near the end though we started to get mainlanders. All the asian students always had a hard time with any sort of assignment that wasn't extremely well defined. They always wanted to know exactly how things would be graded and exactly what was expected, which are fair things to worry about when you're very concerned about perfect grades. But if the assignment had even the slightest bit of freedom or choice, they'd absolutely short out, specially the mainlanders. Anything that wasn't rote memorization, anything that didn't have a single best true correct answer caused theme extreme levels of stress and confusion.

One case that stood out was in english the teacher gave everyone a small fluff creative writing assignment. She reassured everyone that you were not being judged on your literary merits so don't worry about the story, it was mostly just focused on grammar and structure, but if your story was particularly good she'd probably give you a bonus mark. Whatever, an extremely minor assignment worth like .5% of our grade, who cares. Right away almost all the asian students got up and went up to the teacher looking upset. The japanese were first, very confused at what they were supposed to write about. The teachers attempted answers of "it doesn't matter" and "whatever you want" simply were not getting through. Finally the teacher just tossed out some random ideas for them, which again wasn't enough, they wanted to know which of these ideas would get the best marks. Finally they got it, that it didn't matter which one the picked, pick the one they felt most comfortable writing about.

The chinese students were carefully observing all this and also demanded to know what exactly to write about. They didn't like even being given a list of topics because obviously one of the topics was maybe the secret bonus-mark topic and the japanese students got help so why can't they?? They stood and argued with the teacher for a good 10 min trying to learn exactly how to maximize their grade. When they finally sat down they peeked at what the japanese were writing about to make sure they picked the correct topic because obviously the japanese had the inside scoop.

The next class we found out the teacher had canceled the assignment and instead we were doing a long garbage multiple-choice grammar test that seemed way below our level. Apparently what happened is that all the japanese students decided to pick the exact same story to write about and handed in identical work, and then all the chinese students use the same topic and attempted to copy the japanese students. They were all obsessed with picking the correct creative choice and missed the entire point that it was just a test of grammar. One of the chinese students had some sort of panic attack and their parents ended up calling the school and yelling that their precious daughter was going to get bad grades because the teacher gives unclear instructions but gives special help to only the japanese students. Upsetting the cash-cow of international students was a big no-no so the teacher just gave up and found a chunk from a basic ESL exam to give everyone.

tl;dr asian students flip out at being given any creative freedom, japanese students are given some random ideas by the teacher, chinese students attempt to cheat/copy, still can't figure it out, and end up accusing the school of giving unfair advantage to the japanese.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

JacksAngryBiome posted:

There are some Chinese grad students in my lab who spend lunch chewing loudly with their mouth open and wetly smack their lips with each bite. It is loving disgusting.

Is this a cultural thing? All of China? Areas of China? Just these guys?

China doesn't have any sort of cultural idea that eating sounds of any sort are gross or rude.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People who think the chinese school system is superior are the sort of people who think chinese economic management is superior because "look at these official GDP statistics and growth projections!"
A lot of people uncritically eat up chinese propaganda and this idea that the west needs to do away with a lot of our silly political and labour rights if we want to "get things done" like glorious china does.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

rear end cobra posted:

Vajiralongkorn looks like a old-time inbred european royal

The whole family looks quite... healthy

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In BC, Australian tourists are by far the worst. If pubs and clubs could possibly have "NO X NATIONALITY" it would be australian every time. If there's a group of lovely looking dudes getting thrown out of a club and getting fighty with a bouncer, it's disproportionately australians. They love to get violently drunk and think their awful accent will charm them out of fights and into every lady's pants. Instead they get kicked out for starting a fighting or harassing women.

Chinese are a close 2nd. They're extremely loud. If your ear just happens to be between granny and her #1 prince grandson on the other side of a shop that she needs to ask if he wants some toy, she'll just scream through your head as if you weren't there. Kid trashing the store, pulling items off the shelves and onto the floor while dripping icecream? Totally fine, parents just ignore it. Kid disinterested in the OMNIMAX movie at the science centre? Just let him climb all over the seats while screaming at the top of his lungs the entire movie, whatever. Very easy to avoid though, just go anywhere more than a 30 second walk from where a tour bus can park.
UK tourists are generally nice older people out exploring the world and taking in cultures and landscapes and generally being very polite.
American tourists can be kinda loud and rude, but just in an eye-rolling way, not in an assault or street making GBS threads sort of way.

That's all locally though. In europe it's a whole other story.
I don't know if the chinese are loud and rude in europe because I can't hear them over the brits.
I don't know if australians get drunk and violent in europe because they police seem way too busy hauling away another big group of 20-something football hooligans that decided to go smash up a vietnamese immigrant food cart, or women on a stag party who decided to get violent with the wait staff for not letting them get their grope on.
Americans in europe generally seem to be the most polite and interested in trying things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The most amazing thing about australian tourists is that they think they're actually regarded better than americans.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

hemophilia posted:

Well since Aus media has their tongue planted firmly on Beijing's butthole that follows.

Canada might have them beat on that. Do Australian politicians raise the communist flag while wearing red scarves to praise 5000 years of glorious culture? Then want to sign extradition treaties with them which are totally ok because China promised they won't use it for political reasons and you can trust them that all evidence is totally not fabricated. Our PM even says china is the country he most admires in the whole world!

Canada is trash.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

McGavin posted:

So in addition to having a large Chinese community, Vancouver also has a large Punjabi community. One of the major Punjabi holidays is Vaisakhi, which is sort of like a Punjabi Halloween except you don't have to get dressed up and you get Indian food instead of candy when you go door to door.

I go almost every year because free Indian food is great, but the Chinese people take it to the next level. They turn up with canvas bags and shopping carts in order to take home as much food as possible, which they then load into their Lexuses and drive back to their million dollar mansions to enjoy.

Does mandarin even have a word for "shame" ??

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

White people going someplace like china is often their first taste of 24/7 racism directed towards them. North America is probably the least racist place in the world, but that experience foreigners feel in China is actually how a lot of people born and raised in our wonderful multi-cultural continent feel every day to some degree. It's not even always the big overt hateful things, it's the constant never ending little reminders that you're seen as an outsider, an other.

But I don't think anyone comes out of a situation like being a foreigner in china thinking "drat minorities back home better shut up about their so-called racist treatment after what I've seen in china!" I'd hope the reverse was true, it should give them an insight as to how many people back home are treated. I'm sure all the expat goons posting ridiculous china stories here would just as quickly make fun of ridiculous idiots back home as well, and not do something as silly as try to minimize the brutal racism many people in their home countries face after experiencing some minor annoyance level racism in china.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I remember when Jackie Chan was making it big in the 90's in north america and all the HKers in my high-school were always trying to tell us what a piece of poo poo he was, and that was just in the 90's over the way he treated women. Becoming a mouthpiece for the chinese government wasn't even on the radar yet.

That was an interesting time because before the late 90's most all international students were from Taiwan, Japan, Korea, or HK. But then we started getting some mainlanders, and boy those guys kept to them selves. All the other international students would make local friends, join clubs, socialize. Sure they'd enjoy hanging out with people who spoke their language, but they were all here primarily to learn or perfect their english and have an international experience. I got to know a bunch of them through english tutoring or simply being my classmates. But the mainland chinese students?? It's as if there was some chinese government official watching their every move and they were told they'd be shot the moment they socialized with anyone. I don't know if it was a cultural thing or they were actually told not to, but they would absolutely refuse to do anything but silently attend class (seemingly never paying attention) and they even found a little room to each lunch and study in that became a sort of mainland-chinese-only zone. All the other international students would study and practice English with each other regardless of where they were from and generally got along, but the chinese students would not. They also seemed to go through the whole program without actually learning any english, and they always did all their school work at home. What was even the point??

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Look at china getting things done. Why don't we build skyscapers anymore?? How can they develop so much faster than us?! Chinese century, we have so much to learn from them!

I'm sort of looking forward to the "ruin value" of a lot of these developing cities all over the world building ridiculous amounts of poorly built skyscrapers. I wonder when we'll start to see them actually collapse after being abandoned? I'd guess the first ruined skyscraper forest would probably end up being Dubai because just lol at any long term ability to sustain that idiocy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never heard "ever" used in that way, I'm still not even sure what the sentence means.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

nigga crab pollock posted:

my stepdad was telling me about how dumping poo poo in the desert because they don't have a sewage system was actually brilliant because the sun kills anything and the sand filters everything as it travels to the groundwater

still think its dumb

They dump most of it in the ocean, which then quickly washes over their world class 12 star luxury resort beaches. But if the hotel management even warns the guests this might happen they'll get fired because it means the hotel and the city has lost face. Also none of the people getting horribly sick from the water with raw sewage in it can ever have the actual reason listed in medical records and the hospitals also can't issue warnings because do you know how expensive and luxurious these massive artificial islands are??

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I was in Vancouver a while ago, some middle of nowhere suburban hellhole, and the shop I was in didn't have a bathroom so I decided to check out the huge McDonalds down the street. It was like 3pm but the place was PACKED with chinese teens and seniors. All anyone had were fries or a drink. The teens were all in one zone playing on their phones in total silence, sometimes taking a sip of their drink or eating a single fry. The seniors side, which was like 75% of the building, was extremely loud as everyone was chatting and mingling around and generally having a good social time. Same deal though, everyone had like a small fries. I've never even seen a McDonalds like that, the seniors area alone had at least 40-50 tables. Was huge. Everyone also stared at me the whole time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Online dating with people just sending each other pictures of their junk seems really weird and gross. We do NOT do this in my culture!!!!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think if people didn't want to have weird random foreigner sex and get dick pics they wouldn't actively use an app for that?
It would be a bit gross if the dude was just trolling the streets for young naive messed up ladies, but they're actively signing up to seek him out. I dont know, forget about it, it's Chinatown

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The sense I got from his stories is that he'd actually be quite happy to have a normal healthy relationship but everyone he meets ends up turning out extremely crazy, so it's easier to just turn them off him rather than go through the drama and potential stalking of "breaking up"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Captain Yossarian posted:

I am really wondering how common Phillipino will react to this, I thought they loving hated the Chinese?

They hate china but they love their murder president. If he says the US was treating them like a dog and china will help them murder all drugs faster they'll support it. Until reality sets in, then he'll be either voted out (if they're still a democracy) or killed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My mayor is off to visit china because we are building a new bridge we didn't need and the previous mayor determined it would be very slightly cheaper to have it all fabricated in China and any fears of sub-standard quality was based purely on racism and protectionism.

None of the people involved in the construction had ever outsourced to china to this extent and had no clue you had to actually keep tabs on them. They got a good ways into production until someone involved in the project actually went to visit. I mean all the report said it was going well, and no one would lie about something as important as the type of steel used in a bridge, or the quality of the welds. They visited and found the steel was not what was ordered, and the welds were garbage. The chinese company protested and tried to get more money but in the end was forced to scrap everything they did and start over by doing what was actually loving asked of them. This put the project way behind schedule. Next they raised a fuss because the bridge had some large circular elements to it (it's a draw bridge) and they made a bunch of statements about how they have no idea how to accurately cut large circles and will do their best but they've never done it so don't expect it perfect. We needed it perfect because that's how the bridge will go up and down and needs to perfectly fit some motors and poo poo. We had to pay more to send them help. There's been a bunch of other fuckups typical to any unsupervised chinese outsourcing and low-ball bidding.

So to make the people of Victoria feel better they pulled out all the stops to welcome the mayor of Victoria on a big official visit, to prove that they totally are following our instructions and have a good attention to detail.

Real inspiring.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Brannock posted:

I can't wrap my head around the whole face thing and how it's so incredibly at odds with chabuduo. Wouldn't you lose face if you put out a substandard product? What am I missing?

Yeah I'd love a more indepth explanation for how it works. So many of the things that would bring shame and ridicule to people in most place seem to be totally ignored in China, while minor everyday things people just apologize for or learn or grow from are suddenly become hills you MUST die on

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love that Irish lady who didn't even drink who got a job offer taken away from her in Korea when they found out she was Irish because the Irish are all out of control drunks and a fine Korean school would never hire a drunk.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's true and good to rail against racism in north america, or anywhere. I just love it when idiots who haven't known anything other than new-world racism go all wikileaks and act like the US is the worst and only source of racism and injustice and problematic behavior in the world to the point that they'll bend over backwards to excuse the same behavior from anyone who isn't a white american.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How does Korea stack up with Russia in terms of the consequences of the alcoholism? Because it really ruins lives and kills a ton of people there, so I'm curious if Korea some how managed to keep its self as a "functional alcoholic" rather than "dead at 60"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

One could argue that that sense of outrage over many things, even ridiculous, can be an overall positive driving force for good things. Then again there's an idea that things like gender pronouns and such, while quite important to a tiny amount of people, are being used as a distraction from more serious life or death social/economic problems and allowing people to wrap them selves up in these problems to feel hyper progressive while ignoring the big problems.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

UltraRed posted:

I'll have you know that all Canadi(a/e)ns are completely bilingual by the time they leave high school

I wish this was true outside of a couple provinces :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Captain Yossarian posted:

Can I post in this thread yet or are Pwner and Falun still falling all over themselves to just absolutely ruin it yet?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Where they being assholes or actually couldn't understand you? I spent a good 20 min listening to some Irish teens talking on a train before I realized it was some sort of english and would probably have a hard time having a conversation with them unless they slowed down a bit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also german opens up opportunities to travel and work in pleasant places.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Haier posted:

I have nothing. The girl with the hair problem kept bugging me about other women, so I stupidly/strategically told her about the crazy cavern vagina miracle baby from the other night. She got upset, rolled over, pouted, and then said she thought I was such a good man before but now I am bad. Then she rolled over and said she wants to have sex again and more times tonight. I said no way, but why? She said she wants to make me so tired that I won't think meet anyone else the next night, and that from now on she will give me the best sex and make the other girls useless. She said she refuses to share a man and she always gets what she wants. She fell asleep about five minutes later.

Are all ladies on your dating app weird emotionally stunted child-people or is that just what you go after?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's it like as a white woman working in Korea? I now know all white men are AIDs infected predators out to taint korean women, but what happens if a white lady is talking to korean men? Do korean women run over and start yelling about sperm jacking? I have a friend going over there for about a month as a tourist and longer if her degrees can get her some work later. For some reason she absolutely loves korea. K-pop and korean soaps are her favourite things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When I was in Malaysia chinese kids would follow me around and say "Hi John!!" and random people would shout "hey john!" or just "John!!" at me.
It took me a while to figure this out. I always thought there was some dude named John near me, or that "John" was some greeting or expression in the local dialect. Nope, all white guys are named John.

Also simply knowing how to use chopsticks was enough to get a whole restaurant full of people and staff to come watch, let alone that I was totally fine eating normal ol' chinese food which seemed exactly the same as the chinese food I ate back home.

I will never ever forget being able to eat unlimited dim sum nearly every morning for a couple dollars though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ocrumsprug posted:

My partners co-worker brought a coffin into the office on Friday for Halloween.

All the Chinese people wouldn't go near it, and were getting grumpy with my wife (who is Asian) about getting in it for a photo. It is bad luck don't you know?

There's a funeral place near my work with a parking lot that spans the whole block. It makes a really good short-cut that everyone in the neighbourhood uses except I've never once seen a chinese person walk through, they always go the long way around. To be fair my hungarian grandpa-in-law would never use this shortcut either saying that every time you cut through the property of a funeral home you're taking a day off your life.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koramei posted:

lil bit weird that you noticed that to be honest

Nah when you see a big group of people get off the bus all walking to their english school and all Mexicans and Persians and Indians and Filipinos take the straight line through the funeral home parking lot and all the older chinese break off and go the long way around, it's pretty noticeable.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Phlegmish posted:

I'm a bit surprised by that, for all its flaws I had the Chinese government pegged as being mostly rational and pragmatic. I know they're only mildly concerned with the well-being of their citizens, but I thought maybe they'd crack down on it as being internationally embarrassing, the way they had that campaign to keep Chinese tourists from making GBS threads in the street in foreign countries. I don't really see how condoning this TCM bullshit benefits them.

e: maybe to promote a sense of Chinese exceptionalism?

Cheap fake medicine handed out by convincing quacks makes people feel like they're being cared for. People hate going to a doctor and being told just to go home and rest, they want a treatment, they want a pill to fix them even if the pill does nothing or makes them worse. Also a real medical system is expensive and requires generations of clinical scientific medical culture within your society.

What would cause china to lose face is to admit TCM is bullshit. They are very proud of it and very proud to export it. There's TCM schools and clinics and shops all over my Canadian town and lots of fuckidiot white people who go there because TCM is natural and has been proven to work over 5,000 years while BIG PHARMA is just pushing who knows what dangerous chemicals on you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ladron posted:

Isn't everything in Canadia like 6 hours away from everything else tho?

Only if you're a filthy rural.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife is russian and used to work at the British embassy in moscow. Her department all could speak english since their bosses and managers were all english. One day they got a new manager, nice fellow from manchester. He was very sad the first month there because he thought everyone hated him. People seemed to ignore what he said and would shy away or stare blankly at attempts at conversation. It couldn't be their english skills because they seemed to chat and get along fine with the other brittish staff.

Finally they had to tell him no one could understand his loving manchester accent since all their previous bosses were southern upper class folk. Eventually he managed to speak english a little better and they learned to understand his "english"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you say anything bad about Mao or the cultural revolution or that China is not a bastion of human rights or democracy, Vancouver's mayor personally comes to your home and calls you a racist and reports you to the Chinese government.

• Locked thread