Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Bravo, Haier. You're doing God's work. Well, maybe not God god's. You're doing some god's work. Maybe Zeus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

BONGHITZ posted:

I am going to enlist in the Chinese navy, any tips?

Embrace chabuduo.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ded posted:

The rocket torpedo the Russians have has a rather special warhead that would be a much larger boom.

There's a Wiki List of supercavitating torpedoes in case anyone is curious, and luckily for all of us there are only actually two listed (three if you can read German) so it's not a long read.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

THE PWNER posted:

from what I understand the only reason that she was able to get out of china was because she spoke English, so she was able to petition consulates for a humanitarian visa herself until she found one that would listen. and her education obv made it easier to justify allowing her to immigrate despite having no formal proof of id. There's probably people in similar situations who are just stuck now, forever legally not actually existing.

This sounds like a loving cyberpunk novel

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The Refucking of China, coincidentally, is also the title for this chapter of the Haier saga.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Vegetable posted:

What the gently caress, how is "Do butterfly wings have colours?" a valid essay question? How do you answer that other than saying just "yes"?

There are two sides to every wing

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Grand Fromage posted:

I tried people nearby to see if I could have fun Haier stories of my own but after several days I've concluded it's literally 100% prostitute advertisements. I have found nothing else.

I don't think there's any conflict there

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sheep-Goats posted:

There was some food noise in Taiwan but in general they were considerate when they ate. Thai people have the best overall table manners of anyone on earth.

It's the goddamn mainlanders every time.

It's no coincidence that the Thai people I talked to about it thought mainland tourists were gross, disrespectful assholes

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It's probably just from the time I spent in (coincidentally) Thailand but Brits are almost exponentially louder and more obnoxious than Americans. So are Israelis, but I think that's a sampling issue.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
A big difference I observed was that, at least in Thailand, Americans abroad are dumb and drunk and rude and whatever, but are generally having a good time and will sometimes forget where we are and try to tip you and it's generally all good. I think this is because our really obnoxious bro-ey tourists are going off to Mexico or the Caribbean instead.

Britain's ambassadors to Southeast Asia are sweaty loud leering fat bald men in Premier League shirts and sweaty loud lanky balding boys in tank tops and both of those types will start a fight faster than you can say "Birmingham." I have been threatened by a strange British man for the crime of being in the same McDonald's. I have watched Brits roll around in the gutter of a red-light district sloppily punching each other in the head and shouting incoherently. I got in a shouting argument with a British man on the street after too many beers over whether Polish was a real ethnicity or if the whole thing was just a ruse made up by some sneaky dirty little Slavs to get into Europe.

Now, Canadians can be even worse but at least they're quiet about it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fauxtool posted:

His brother would have been a much better king had he not committed suicide shooting himself in the back of his head with his non-dominant hand and ending face up on his bed. (MUUUUUURDER) They also killed the servants that found the body for some reason

They went back and forth about what the explanation was supposed to be, so they accused those servants of murder, tried and executed them, then went back to calling it a suicide, and I would never disrespect Thailand by implying that that explanation has any holes in it.

Thailand is a really wonderful country full of really great people, and it has a huge amount to offer that have nothing to do with drinking lovely, overpriced beers in places where the women are wearing numbers as nametags.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Potrzebie posted:

The new king of Thailand sure is suave. 5000 years of good taste!

Enjoy your lese majeste charges, friend!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nanomashoes posted:

Unless I just shifted into a parallel universe "I ever tell you about" is normal and common to say here in America.

It's kinda important to clarify whether you mean in a question, like the way it's actually used, or in a statement, like the way that doesn't make any sense.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Oh my god, you should have just let it be. Imagine a town full of people where all the English teachers got 'em going in some kind of ridiculous American subdialect.

Tell me if this is better or worse: I met an Italian guy teaching English in Thailand. His English was great! Flawless grammar. Very polite. Excellent vocabulary.

100% IT'S A' ME, MARIO accent.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It's like watching a raccoon break into a supermarket. I can't believe this is happening but I respect that he's having the time of his life.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

caberham posted:

Hey club rats can be crazy too!

There's nothing wrong with sending naked pictures online. As long as the other party is ready for it and likes it. If not then you are no better than some rear end in a top hat flasher in the subway

lol what's wrong with casual sex you prude???

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So today, I was reading about people acting childish who got extremely defensive when called out and insisted that the other person was actually at fault.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

THE PWNER posted:

It's not like you'd know, estadounidense. Conversation with anyone from anywhere in the world usually goes name > where from > what do you do > so aren't those Americans retarded > complete agreement

The reaction I usually get when I tell people I'm American is... "But you're not fat!"

After that it's "But you look just like Harry Potter!"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Stringent posted:

out of curiosity can you cite an incidence of this happening in the united states? i'd genuinely like to see it if you can.

Somebody's doing the raping!

Now, this is substantively different than the other idea because of power dynamics and the framing of "white dudes seducing are wimminz with their... who knows" vs. those dirty foreign criminals, but it's the closest thing I can think of, unless you want to count people bitching about British dudes coming over for an exchange year in college and getting laid just off their accents.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Yeah except the US isn't taking the Phillipines resources or trying to steal territory from them, it's China and they're only going to get worse now that they've been invited in.

Yeah, it's somehow worse than the worst that the US has historically had to offer. We're gonna need a new term for a banana republic with Chinese characteristics.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Brannock posted:

I can't wrap my head around the whole face thing and how it's so incredibly at odds with chabuduo. Wouldn't you lose face if you put out a substandard product? What am I missing?

The missing part is this: you don't lose face by making a substandard product. Somebody else loses face by calling your product substandard because until they complained there wasn't any problem.

Your fuckup has to reach monumental proportions, like "tainted baby formula" levels of bad, before it becomes okay for other people to say "hey you hosed up here." If it's not there yet, you ignore it. If somebody says there's a problem then it must be their problem.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

You guys honestly don't see Chinese people as equal humans to yourself. It's loving disgusting. You are all pathetic sacks,

Punctuation is hard for everyone sometimes, it's okay dude.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Please remember that whipping your dick out without asking first is considered gauche.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think Haier had an old Japan story from his dad, and I assume that Japan in like the 50s/60s produced some pretty crazy stories.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The Great Autismo! posted:

If it was someone from a different country, SES or race, r u prepared for the consequences of your actions

Oh poo poo

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
In Thailand they flavor the rotgut with spices and other poo poo, and maybe coloring? so that it's a color somewhere between whisky and piss. I lived next to a whisky warehouse and a market with a bar stall, and you're not supposed to sell the rotgut in the city anymore, so the bar stall would go raid the dumpster behind the warehouse and find the empty whisky bottles the workers would put out when they'd swipe bottles out of the crates. So you could go drink something foul-tasting out of a single-malt whisky bottle if you wanted.

Here in Are China I had the new guys try baijiu--not even bad stuff, the 金門58 stuff--and even the guy who used to live in Georgia (the country) said it was the worst thing he'd ever tasted.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

do it on my face posted:

She has no degree, which makes me wonder if this isn't just an excuse to see more of the world, in which case fair enough. Also she isn't black, but there is some Australian Aboriginal in her bloodline, so that might factor in too.

If she has no degree she basically can't be working legally and above-board anywhere, so she'll have to look for somewhere that won't matter as much. Try Cambodia or Thailand?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
My friends and I went out of the city last weekend and it was a novelty for us to have people turning their heads ("look at the waiguoren!") and having kids run up to us like "Good morning!"

A few weeks ago I was using the MRT and a lady turned to me and said something and I had already gotten all the way through my reflexive "duibuqi wo ting bu dong" before my brain caught up and said "she asked a question and the answer's yes, say dui or hao or something."

My supervisor speaks pretty good Mandarin though and every so often he still gets people being like "ohhhhh wow your Mandarin is so good!" or just acting like they forget he's speaking it and replying to him in broken English.

e: I would say that part of the reason--not all of the reason--I'm studying it on my own time is that I don't want to go home for a visit and be like "nah I haven't actually learned the language of the place I live," as a foreigner you can totally get by not speaking it even if some of the locals and other expats are gonna think you're lazy.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 26, 2016

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Free Market Mambo posted:

Australians are hilarious when pretending to be better than Americans. American expat in europe, never met an Australian who could speak the language/wasn't an alcoholic mess held in contempt by the indigenous.

Let's go easy on Australians and give them some time to learn English first.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

basic hitler posted:

I took german over mandarin in highschool :grin:

At least German is easy to pronounce even if the advanced grammar is loving shameful. Yes, let's conjugate adjectives, fml.

One thing about languages is that I have a ton of respect for Asian people who learn something like French, Spanish, or German, since all the things that suck about English are worse with them. And I find people (at least here in #1 China) to be really forgiving about my still-lovely Mandarin because "Yes, Chinese is the hardest language to learn, but keep working and you'll get it, 加油!"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

basic hitler posted:

genitive case hosed with me really bad, but you can get away with talking in german without using it.

German is not so bad, there are tough things to learn, but English has some shared grammar and vocabulary, and there were songs and bands I liked that I wanted to understand that influenced my choice. I thought it would be fascinating to learn chinese but I wasn't interested in the workload that would be required to actually absorb it.

I learned later that German was easymode compared to MSA Arabic, which kicked my rear end and I didn't finish a semester

I found German easier than Spanish or French, but then again I seem to be physically unable to roll an R properly.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So on TCM--yesterday, I was told that according to Chinese medicine, a man shouldn't ejaculate too much, no more than 2-3 times a week, as it will drain the "hot" energy from his body. Women, being naturally "cold", want to steal that heat for themselves.

Haier, when you go see the doctor, please have her take your temperature both before and after plunging.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fauxtool posted:

For thailand myanmar is the worst even though they have really similar cultures and are genetically identical

They burned Ayuthaya! (In 1757)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Today I watched a bunch of screaming girls bathe a raccoon.

Aren't they actually pretty good at cleaning themselves? Also, was the raccoon in a little dress at any point?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Outrail posted:

That would make an amazing TV show. Nobody understands a word he says but it's been going on so long everyone is too embarrassed to say anything. It'd be like being hell banned in real life.

But, enough about FBR...

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I for one am an enormous pussy bitch

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

That suit jacket is tripping me out. Is It a shawl collar, wtf is going on there?

An elderly Chinese woman walks down the sidewalk, hands clasped firmly behind her back, eyes fixed somewhere on the ground in front of her. Suddenly, in her path: me, the enormous pussy.

I stubbornly refuse to yield.

The old woman keeps going for a moment, eyes still fixed, no acknowledgement of the obstacle in her path. Then the smell hits her.

I stand, angrily, a truly enormous pussy directly in her path. With a cruel, sideways grin I open my festering oyster-mouth.

"Neen how?" I intone, moistly.

She refuses to acknowledge the interruption to her daily plan.

Frustrated, I push my way past her, towering wetly over her bent frame. Shaking her head silently, she continues on her way.

I have lost face today.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Umm... Ok. What does that have to do with the weird suit?

Recently a 31-year-old man, appropriately surnamed (王), has begun stopping off inside me on his way to and from work--perhaps mistaking me for a convenient alcove or stairway. He squats listlessly, smokes listlessly, and plays with his phone--listlessly. Attempting to appeal to his better nature, I erected signs inside me, of the classic "crossed-out cigarette" kind. If anything, he visits me more frequently now.

I came to him one day in a huff, steaming: "What are you doing here? Can't you see the signs? Can't you see how sensitive my soft, yet muscular insides are?"

He flicked more ash on the firm, sticky floor of my love canal and said, slowly, without raising his eyes: "Dui bu qi... wo ting bu dong."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Haier, call the Mongol and the Amazon to your house at the same time and host your own episode of Deadliest Warrior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm weeping enormous, aromatic pussy tears

• Locked thread