Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Ignore the haters, your stories are an enlightening mirror on both cultures whether you like it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Fojar38 posted:

that guy who recorded that wuhan protest just got arrested so you know it was legit

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-police-idUSKCN12N0EQ

quote:

Police in China's central city of Wuhan said they have detained a person for spreading rumors in what a state-run newspaper said was a video purportedly showing a demonstration involving workers at Wuhan Iron and Steel (Wugang).

Really? Spreading rumours? If the guy is distributing actual evidence it's not a rumour. Book him with spreading dissent or upsetting the social order or something. 'Spreading rumours' is straight up 1984 bullshit.

How long would the government last if they didn't censor poo poo? A few months before public lynching of officials?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Brannock posted:

quote:

Harnessing the power of big data and the ubiquity of smartphones, ecommerce and social media in a society where 700 million people live large parts of their lives online, the plan will also vacuum up court, police, banking, tax and employment records. Doctors, teachers, local governments and businesses could additionally be scored by citizens for their professionalism and probity.

quote:

On this basis, citizens were classified into four levels: those given an “A” grade qualified for government support when starting a business and preferential treatment when applying to join the party, government or army; or applying for a promotion. People with “D” grades were excluded from official support or employment.

Absolutely no way this could possibly backfire in any way. Nothing wrong with teachers having to live in fear of a student's parent going apeshit for not treating their precious god-child with the required respect.

"Your teacher score has dropped by 20 points and you are now a D class citizen."
"What?"
"You're fired. Also your mortgage has been revoked, your house repossessed."
"What? Why?"
"Your score has dropped below the threshold of C class, and you are now a D class citizen. A D class citizen cannot possess a mortgage or work for a government school."
"WHAT?"
"Defaulting on a mortgage and being unemployed and homeless incurs an additional 50 point, 20 point and 15 point deduction to your citizen score."
"What?"
"You are now an E class citizen, please report for execution by Friday 6th. Failure to report incurs a ten point penalty to your children's citizen score."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blistex posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of being a Korean University Professor! "A++++'s for everyone (so I can keep my job)"

Wouldn't be smarter to have the students rate the teachers and have the teachers submit final marks, THEN have them both sides get marks/ratings? I mean then there's no chance of retaliation.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 24, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sheep-Goats posted:

So no graded assignments or feedback on how students are doing until the end of the term? Good luck with that.

Oh, right.

Well I guess the answer is if the professor is any good they won't fail. Yeah, that works.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Sounds like your friend needs an SA account

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ladron posted:

Pretty loving much, I have a shitload of stories I could tell, and they';re all super super unbelievable to anyone outside of Asia because they are injected with Krazy Korean Kulture.

source = was a professor in korea for a bunch of years

:justpost:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Are Asian Americans in the USA discriminated against beyond stereotypical 'Oh you're Asian? What part? Do you eat noodles? Ok cool, well anyway...'

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You get some weird behaviour from fetal alcohol syndrome kids so if the abortion survival thing is true maybe that's why she's so weird/sweaty/fidgety.

Or she's just a weird girl and being Chinese has nothing to do with it.

I think with regards to the age thing your kind of ok to go digging through her purse for ID if she stays over again. At least you'll know what age she thinks she is.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Phlegmish posted:

see if she has some cash on her while you're at it

Yeah there's no difference at all between checking to see if someone in your house is who they are and stealing their money. I mean you might as well drug her and sell her organs to black market medical suppliers because once you're on that slippery slope you're obligated to follow it all the way through. :rolleyes:

If she's acting really immature and cagey about her age I think it's kind of okay to check she's not a minor or something. Not saying it's a good thing but it's not a really bad thing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nsfw that poo poo mate

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Late to the party but if you're a privileged white rear end in a top hat like me you learn languages to expand the places you can go, the people you can talk to and the benefits you can get from the two things (places and people). Actually thats why 99% of people learn a new language.

If you want to go to China/Hong Kong/Taiwan you learn Chinese. Otherwise it's kinda useless.

If you want to go anywhere in Latin America or Spain you learn Spanish. Plus it's close enough to other romance languages that it kinda works in Brazil, Portugal, and Italy. Plus it makes learning French, Portuguese and Italian pretty simple since they're virtually the same language. And Spanish is easy enough for a lazy white privileged rear end in a top hat to learn.

Objectively, learning Chinese is only good if you have a very specific goal, whereas Spanish opens up more doors and opportunities.

Pretend I finished my post with some banal racism.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Baronjutter posted:

Where they being assholes or actually couldn't understand you? I spent a good 20 min listening to some Irish teens talking on a train before I realized it was some sort of english and would probably have a hard time having a conversation with them unless they slowed down a bit.

If they were drunk excited Irish teens even a Great British native would have trouble.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the foreign crime rate in Korea is minuscule compared to the Korean crime rate. And that's the reported one, the actual one is most certainly higher. You are much safer at all times staying around foreign areas. Also that's all "foreign" crime, if you limit to just the western teacher/GI/engineer group it becomes absurdly tiny. The majority of foreign crime is ethnic Koreans from China and laborers from SE Asia. Which, to be clear, are still way less likely to be criminals than the locals--there's just a whole lot more of them than the honkey population.

You can use this in Korea to find good food though. Ask Koreans what the dangerous part of the city is that you should avoid. That is, invariably, the foreign neighborhood and will be full of great Chinese/Vietnamese/etc food.

Demograpic stats are useless when talking about the total population. Crimes per 100,000 white/Korean/whatever are the only ones that make sense.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes? that's what I'm talking about. The Korean rate is about 20x that of the non-Korean. The non-Korean is not officially broken up into groups that I'm aware of because there are only two groups in the world, Koreans and Foreigners.

Oh, never mind then.

So how are trans people viewed in modern China? You mentioned that they would be better off embracing them like Thailand (ok?), but is there massive hate or just a non issue?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Telsa Cola posted:

Someone mentioned that they get real angry if you call them a foreigner while they are abroad, even more so if you do it in whatever language they speak. (It's because they are essentially using it as a slur for those people and how dare you think that about me)

So refer to them as a foreigner to another expat in their home country, as in 'well you are a foreigner to us'. Not good?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

MetaJew posted:

Was that a marked up price for a foreigner? It did sound pretty expensive.

More 'marked up price for luxury items'. In this case luxury items are defined as anything but lovely rice and gruel eaten while not being brutalized.*

*I'm no North Korean scholar, just based on some pretty disturbing poo poo the internet has taught me.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Pirate Radar posted:

So on TCM--yesterday, I was told that according to Chinese medicine, a man shouldn't ejaculate too much, no more than 2-3 times a week, as it will drain the "hot" energy from his body. Women, being naturally "cold", want to steal that heat for themselves.

Haier, when you go see the doctor, please have her take your temperature both before and after plunging.

This hot cold energy poo poo makes me angry. If you can't measure something you can't know it's there. Therefore the energy must be measurable. In what units is the energy(ies?) being measured? I assume cold is just an absence of hot, so there's just one variable. Unless cold is another thing entirely, and thus you could have too much heat AND cold at the same time and our understanding of energy conservation is wrong.

Ah yes, the results are in: you're about 17.8 fuckwatts (fW) too hot which explains your symptoms. Smoke two menthol cigarettes and expose your belly to 17C temperate for three hours, and ejaculate once every four hours for a week or until symptoms subside.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ceciltron posted:

Iirc long fingernails were a sign of wealth since it meant you don't have to work with your hands, so they don't break off or get worn down.

Also use for coke nail.

I know in some placrs/professions they file the thumbnail into a sharp point to use ad a lovely weapon.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Deceitful Penguin posted:

They also often combine them with multilevel marketing scams and there was a really good article, that the Guardian reprinted about it.

Because if there's something worse than peddling fake medicine, it's making others do it in a false hope they'll finally escape poverty by doing so.

I do market research and the multi level marke.. I mean direct sellers that come of of China are bad even for Mult.. direct sellers. Sorry I don't know why I keep saying that, direct sellers are totally different.

One sold a machine that 'activates water' but even the pseudo science behind it isn't even trying.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

mikerock posted:

I post on the luckiest page in this thread to say that there are no floors, suites, or apartments in the Trump Tower in Vancouver which end in the number that can not be named on this page. It is the last building in the city which will be allowed to do this.

Seriously? How can they stop you from skipping a floor number?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blistex posted:

North Korean propaganda really exaggerates some European features to make them look scarier. US soldiers are usually, tall, gaunt, have really dark sunken eyes, big noses, and mouths. They try and make them look as alien as possible compared to the Korean seen in propaganda posters that all look like chubby 4 year olds.

Also see, every piece of western WWII propaganda, and every political comic strip ever.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Boiled Water posted:

I take a small solace in the fact that the scale seems to top around 1% and not 50.

For the most part anyway.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

You can really just bold most of the Wikipedia article

Mauritania

Population: 4,067,564
Slavery: 4%
Slaves: 155,600

Mauritania suffers from several human rights issues,[12] including slavery, where an estimated roughly 4% (155,600 people) of the country's population are being enslaved against their will, especially enemies of the government...Slavery persists in Mauritania. Although nominally abolished in 1981, it was not illegal to own slaves until 2007...The government of Mauritania denies that slavery continues in the country...According to some estimates, up to 600,000 Mauritanians, or 20% of the population, are still enslaved...

Obstacles to ending slavery in Mauritania include:
- Belief that slavery is part of the natural order of this society.

fake edit: I'm assuming the 0.56 was a land mine victim.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Shayu posted:

I cannot believe that in my life time I could of legally owned a slave somewhere in the world, this is too terrible to think about.

Life truly is a series of missed opportunities.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Apparently Chinese men need all the help they can get in being 'men'.

also human trafficking chat is kinda strange; is it really not that well known? I mean, yeah, my discipline is kinda into issues like that (I mostly know the issue through where it intersects with child soldiers and civil wars) but dang

I thought most people woulda heard at least about it through chocolate, seeing as the majority of it (at least in W-Africa, which is a major exporter) is harvested by slaves, who are often children and the fight against it hasn't gone well because when they try to raid the farms they usually murder all the slaves which leaves little evidence of the culprits

What? How long does it take to raid a farm?

'Did you find any slaves officer?'
'No Sir, we found rooms full of tiny beds and workshops full of tiny tools, and a mass grave full of tiny bodies, but no slaves.'
'Damnit! Where are they hiding those slaves?'

Outrail fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 2, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

McGavin posted:

The de facto national beer in China in terms of liters downed is Snow. It's the most popular beer in the world by a lot. Considering that it's only available in China, enough is consumed so that everyone in China drinks 10L annually.

Heh, literally drinking the yellow snow.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sheep-Goats posted:

It says NSFW right in the post?

Also I think "horribly maimed" is maybe an exaggeration but w/e

Yeah i didn't see that until i'd watched it and scrolled down further. gently caress that poo poo.

If you see something tipping over that weighs more than you do run away and come back with a first aid kit.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Glenn Quebec posted:

I like the 283 in the middle of it all.

Someone wrapped their air quality monitor in saran wrap.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

wildemere posted:

More awesome behavior, got a court date the old uncle.

http://shanghaiist.com/2016/11/02/sydney_park_pee.php

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with pissing on a tree like that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ceciltron posted:

Anywhere BUT the botanical gardens and would agree with you.

Pretty sure a few dudes pissing on a tree a few times a years has virtually zero impact.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Imperialist Dog posted:

I'm stopping off at a Subway before proceeding to our school sports day which is held in the middle of nowhere. There's a huge lineup of elderly people running past it, queuing up for a free newspaper that they will immediately take, unread, to a recycler to exchange for a few cents. There's another guy in front of me ordering food, but as he's doing it two extremely old, bent-double women are staring at him. They've actually just moved BESIDE him to get closer to look at the food. Like they're between him and the cashier now.

Ok, I finished ordering. The clerk asked me what I wanted on my sub, right? And for every ingredient the old ladies repeated it in amazement. "Look, he pointed to the vegetable, and she put the vegetable on the bread!

They have lined up for the free paper beside this Subway for ... six years, I think, and are still amazed by the concept.

Talk to the guy running the free newspaper stall. Tell him you'll give him :10bux: if he tells everyone that there is no newspaper today, there will not be any more free newspaperm and he gives them to you at the end of each day. Then you get #(newspapers) x $(cents per newspaper). Bam, now you've got Subway money and less people gawking at your dietary habits.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

First worlders cannot resist the intrensic need to exploit countries poorer than their own for their benifit while lambasting them for the very problems their explotation caused in the first place. Most of them lack any self awareness whatsoever.

I feel this is somehow a poignant commentary on your shitposting.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Grand Fromage posted:

I do have Chinese friends who I can talk to normally but they were all people I met outside of China. The one I know here lived outside China for quite a while and is from a rather persecuted minority so she really is not a fan of this place. Finding a Chinese person who both likes China and is capable of a normal conversation is the white whale I've been chasing.

It sounds like you're describing Stockholm syndrome.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Pon de Bundy posted:

Yes this is all good but how was your *looks up further in thread* plunging? experiences in india

india doesn't strike me as Good for That

That was a great post and I'd honestly like a India.txt thread that probated lolrapegangescorpseturds poo poo.

Maybe 'Post your favorite personal experience in India' would stem the tide of hate?

Edit: Haier's post I mean. Yours is ok I guess.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Shut up about Bong and let the man post more about the raccoon. Any pics?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

LentThem posted:

man, so much smoking and hotpot

They hotboxed an entire city. Hardcore.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

The Great Autismo! posted:

that would hold true if it were the same across the board but i literally sit in meetings at work in chinese and give presentations in chinese at work and talk to my boss and HR in chinese at work and they have zero problems ever understanding me, so either they are just nodding their heads and just guessing what i'm saying correctly for the past few years, or people giving me blank stares when i'm talking to them in chinese have the issues. i only have HSK4 level though, the guy i work with has HSK5 and the same thing happens to him.

it would be nice if the simple solution was to go home and practice more, but you've completely missed the point. i imagine you did it on purpose, though.

That would make an amazing TV show. Nobody understands a word he says but it's been going on so long everyone is too embarrassed to say anything. It'd be like being hell banned in real life.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Counter point: The purpose of a language is to communicate ideas and concepts. If there's a plurality of anecdotes that show you can study and work at and live a language for more than five years and people still don't understand you it's doing a pretty piss poor job of fulfilling it's primary purpose.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

quote:

Mr. Rehage’s statement was “subjective,” meaning incorrect, and is therefore not protected speech, Zhu Wei, the deputy director of the Communications Law Center at the China University of Political Science and Law, was quoted as saying in one of the articles.

So the only things that are protected by freedom of speech are things that the ruling party has decided are true?

This is literally retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yep

Once in a while you will have someone explain to you in a patronizing tone why this is a smart and just policy too, like the gutter oil fudge on a melamine tainted sundae

It get's better. It's like Calvinball law arguments.

quote:

In an interview, Mr. Zhu, the communications law professor, restated his accusations and insisted that those living outside China’s borders could be bound to Chinese law for their online speech. Mr. Rehage, he said, had violated the so-called Seven Bottom Lines.

These are Internet speech rules laid out by the director of the Cyberspace Administration of China, Lu Wei, in 2013, Mr. Zhu said. They require Internet users to respect China’s laws, state interests, socialist values, moral standards, social order, people’s rights and the truth.

“If he compares Mao Zedong to Hitler, putting aside legal issues, I think he has violated the ‘social order’ or ‘moral standards’ of the Seven Bottom Lines,” Mr. Zhu said.

LOL! Imagine if New Zealand demanded that all internet users referred to Australia as 'The West Island of New Zealand', and not doing so was breaking the law.

quote:

But he said he worried about the safety of any foreigners in China who might look like him. “I am a little concerned by the people who have been calling for my murder,” he said.

• Locked thread