Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

caberham posted:

I would say the "defacto" national beer is Tsing Tao which is a Germany Lager legacy. The original factory and brewery in QingDao still imports wheat from Germany and make Okay lager. Everywhere else in China is just contracted brewing where rice is the major ingredient like Budweiser. There's also a craft brewery scene in the major cities because you can get cheap industrial brewing equipment from tao bao.

The de facto national beer in China in terms of liters downed is Snow. It's the most popular beer in the world by a lot. Considering that it's only available in China, enough is consumed so that everyone in China drinks 10L annually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Harbin brand beer is the one I was talking about it's a solid drinkable lager.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

McGavin posted:

The de facto national beer in China in terms of liters downed is Snow. It's the most popular beer in the world by a lot. Considering that it's only available in China, enough is consumed so that everyone in China drinks 10L annually.

Heh, literally drinking the yellow snow.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Outrail posted:

Heh, literally drinking the yellow snow.

Beer is called Pee Jew in Chinese

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Outrail posted:

'Did you find any slaves officer?'
'No Sir, we found rooms full of tiny beds and workshops full of tiny tools, and a mass grave full of tiny bodies, but no slaves.'
'Damnit! Where are they hiding those slaves?'

Maybe we should ask this guy with a smoking gun and a whip what happened. Naaaaaah

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Shayu posted:

I knew about the human trafficking issue, especially in that area of our world, but to know it is and still is quietly condoned by that government? It makes me feel a little depressed…
Oh, it's ignored by most of the governments in the area as well as the international community. Then there's the problem of how you want to define human trafficking but that's a long discussion and outside my area.

Outrail posted:

What? How long does it take to raid a farm?

'Did you find any slaves officer?'
'No Sir, we found rooms full of tiny beds and workshops full of tiny tools, and a mass grave full of tiny bodies, but no slaves.'
'Damnit! Where are they hiding those slaves?'
Pretty long actually. It's at this point usually I post the map of just how huge Africa is, but basically they go to raid the farm, only to find out that there's no evidence tying anyone to anything when they reach it and all the witnesses are murdered and the people in charge of the farm are long gone. (And they were only the ones operating them, not the owners)

Whether they were warned from the surrounding area or from the police/government is different between different places from what I remember from the discussions with the people that study this.

That was when they actually bothered to do it though; there's a lot of pressure from foreign multinationals to, let us say, be lax in enforcing certain laws? And seeing as the slaves are usually not very rich or powerful but the owners of the cocoa plantations are, well. That and when they tried it just ends up with a lot of dead people and no convictions. Haven't really been following it since this was happening so they might have figured out a better way to do it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Agean90 posted:

Maybe we should ask this guy with a smoking gun and a whip what happened. Naaaaaah

I think its more that governments don't want to deal with placing the victims or taking care of them after they've been rescued.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

McGavin posted:

Snow is fashioning for two reasons

1. It is the most consumed beer in the world but I never see anyone drinkin it...ever. All my friends, Chinese or foreign, always go Harbin or Tsingdao, but every day, walking to work, there are Snow beer bottle caps all over the street. Even when I'm out late at night I never see anyone drinking it. WHO IS DRINKING IT?
2. It's written sideways so a lot of people, myself included, think it is called "MONS" when they first see it. I called it MONS for a bit before someone said "lol its snow you moron" and I was like "oh yeah I knew that haha"

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The Great Autismo! posted:

WHO IS DRINKING IT?

These guys:

I'm just blown away that Snow is over twice as popular as Tsingtao, which itself is the 2nd most popular beer in the world.

That MONS thing is pretty funny though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh and :nws: because I guess some people find this very mild video disturbing

https://my.mixtape.moe/qktgmm.webm

raton fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 3, 2016

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Jel Shaker posted:

A surprising fact is that quite a lot of muslims drink

WELL NO poo poo

but some muslims are different than others :0

and I am not sure who strict the different millions of muslims in china are, all I know is that the han chinese government treats them very badly

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Sheep-Goats posted:

https://my.mixtape.moe/qktgmm.webm

It's China and there's industrial equipment and it's a video so maybe if you work at the Gay Leggings Factory it's NSFW

Would you would mention it or NMS or something if you're going to post someone getting horribly maimed? I was expecting funny.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Memories of death pictures in the osha thread but with chinese characteristics.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mimesweeper posted:

Would you would mention it or NMS or something if you're going to post someone getting horribly maimed? I was expecting funny.

It says NSFW right in the post?

Also I think "horribly maimed" is maybe an exaggeration but w/e

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
NMS and NWS are different things.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

I refuse to believe this is china because I see people rushing to help instead of just staring or recording it on their phones

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Third World Reggin posted:

NMS and NWS are different things.

Same poo poo to me

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ladron posted:

I refuse to believe this is china because I see people rushing to help instead of just staring or recording it on their phones

Yeah, I didn't think it was China initially when I first saw it for the same reason but it got them letters

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Sheep-Goats posted:

It says NSFW right in the post?

Yeah i didn't see that until i'd watched it and scrolled down further. gently caress that poo poo.

If you see something tipping over that weighs more than you do run away and come back with a first aid kit.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol chinese people dont believe in helping each other or democracy

what a country!!!

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Sheep-Goats posted:

I disagree but also w/e.

Actually lets argue about it for five pages and get the thread shut down again.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol if you dont think having a 3 ton vehicle land on you counts as maimed

SHE DEAD

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-37847056

quote:

Police in southern China are punishing drivers who dazzle other road users with full-beam headlights by making them stare into the lights for a minute, it's reported.

lol

Sheep-Goats posted:

Same poo poo to me

wow gee, all of you are more shocked by someone dying than me, a former EMT?? what a bunch of babies you must be

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Might as well post this here...
Delhi's pollution today.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Is that everyday pollution or smoke from the Festival of Lights firecrackers?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Automatic Slim posted:

Is that everyday pollution or smoke from the Festival of Lights firecrackers?
Apparently Delhi has been over 500 for a bit. It's due to this time of year when it starts getting cold that the farmers start burning their fields (like, all the farmers at once), and people start burning anything else they can think of to keep warm outside, including all of their garbage (and letting tons of plastic particles into the air, making this even more dangerous).
It's absurd and they are doing it to themselves.

This will continue on until about February. LMAO. Delhi is such a poo poo hole.

Edit: COAL
Edit: Millions of cars with no emissions standards.

Haier fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 3, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Pon de Bundy posted:

lol if you dont think having a 3 ton vehicle land on you counts as maimed

SHE DEAD

It's more "squashed" than "maimed" really

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
The machines are online again.

Hody shet.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

999 is 666 upside down. makes you think.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5arqpo/i_found_my_kidnapped_friends_in_china_and_am_now/

Kidnapper story man is answering questions.

Edit: LOL, CCP going to be so mad when this story become bigger. He'll be banned and nothing will come of it.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Gunagon blazin' it :420:

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Finally. All of this being friendly to rednecks trying to kill you with their boats thing pissed people off enough to start doing something right against all those loving fishermen.

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/2042303/south-korean-coastguard-fires-machine-guns-chinese-trawlers

quote:

Beijing ‘strongly dissatisfied’ after South Korean coastguard fires machine guns at Chinese trawlers

Initial machine gun bursts were fired into the air, but the crew were later ordered to fire on the bows of the Chinese boats that were sailing directly at the coastguard vessels

Beijing has issued a stern response to reports South Korean coastguard vessels have, for the first time, fired machine guns against Chinese boats illegally fishing in Korean waters.

There were no casualties reported from the incident on Tuesday, which was the first of its kind since the coastguard announced last month that it would pursue a “more aggressive” firearms policy with Chinese trawlers.
Disputes over illegal fishing have dogged relations between South Korea and China for years, and there have been numerous clashes between the coastguard and Chinese crew members.

Senior coastguard official Kim Jung-shik said the order to fire came during a stand-off with some 30 Chinese fishing boats illegally operating near the South’s Yellow Sea border with North Korea.

“They tried to ram our ships although we repeatedly warned them,” Kim told the Yonhap news agency.

“I thought our officers would be in danger if I allowed any more resistance so we ended up using the crew service weapon,” he was quoted as saying.
Initial machine gun bursts were fired into the air, but the crew were later ordered to fire on the bows of the Chinese boats that were sailing directly at the coastguard vessels.

Two Chinese trawlers were seized in the clash.
China’s foreign ministry said it was “strongly dissatisfied” at the action and urged Seoul to “discipline” its coastguard.

“Using destructive weapons can easily hurt fishermen and we urge the ROK (South Korea) side to... avoid using any excessive or extreme tools in their law enforcement activities,” spokeswoman Hua Chunying said.

LOL at Beijing whining.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chances are they werent even fishing, just looking to instigate an international incident so china can complain.
Arresting them wont do anything, there are always more fishermen and more boats

What can they do to send a message that china will actually undersand? Underwater minefields on their border that disarm on korean IFFs?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 3, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GoutPatrol posted:

Chinese may work on mobile things where you can write the character with your finger on a screen and the correct one will show up. Using a keyboard to write Chinese in China, HK, and Taiwan all have different systems that are so lovely. I've been professional Chinese secretaries take agonizingly long to type on keyboards and continually needing to delete, go back to the base radical and search for the right character.

It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Like I've never even met a Chinese person who would say that. They always have told me there's no way Chinese will ever become the world language specifically because nobody wants to learn how to read/write it.

Anecdotally Chinese people always seem completely shocked how fast I type, and I'm not not like an absurdly fast typer or anything. But when I see how long it takes to type Chinese on a computer it makes sense.

nickmeister posted:

What's this talk about it taking forever to type in Chinese? Maybe they are using the standard Windows pinyin instead of Google Pinyin?

No they use some Chinese input that has constant popups with anime bears and poo poo.

caberham posted:

I would say the "defacto" national beer is Tsing Tao which is a Germany Lager legacy. The original factory and brewery in QingDao still imports wheat from Germany and make Okay lager. Everywhere else in China is just contracted brewing where rice is the major ingredien

Maybe for export but domestically it's just Snow as far as the eye can see. I'm happy when a restaurant even has loving Harbin because it's so rare to have any option other than Snow.

In Sichuan I basically never see anyone drinking. If they are it's tiny glasses of Snow, which has an alcohol content below 2%.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://i.imgur.com/mjygjJC.gifv

quote:

Five pedestrians in a Chinese provincial capital were swallowed by a sinkhole on Saturday when a stretch of pavement suddenly crumbled beneath them.
China’s Xinhua news tweeted video showing the gaping sinkhole as it opened near a bus stop in Harbin, in the northeast Heilongjiang Province. The footage was recorded by surveillance cameras at a nearby noodle shop, according to Sky News. The sinkhole gave way to an approximately 100-square-foot opening.
Last year, but LOL.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

jesus, are they alright?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Fauxtool posted:

Chances are they werent even fishing, just looking to instigate an international incident so china can complain.
Arresting them wont do anything, there are always more fishermen and more boats

What can they do to send a message that china will actually undersand? Underwater minefields on their border that disarm on korean IFFs?

Seizure and destruction of the boats enough times would actually get them to stop. They have shown they care enough to get their own coast guard involved. Theres a certain point were china cant escalate with out being blatantly obvious to what its doing and I dont think they will go that far yet. Put a boarding team on a boat or two and use that if they get rammed by the Chinese coast guard and enjoy your new prize. Seizure of foreign vessels acting aggressively in your own waters is not going to be hard to defend.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 3, 2016

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Agean90 posted:

jesus, are they alright?
5 people fell in, 4 had injuries but not so bad. Nobody got crushed by a forklift.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

I think its more that governments don't want to deal with placing the victims or taking care of them after they've been rescued.
Ahhhahahaha, the idea that the government would even think of taking care of them, boy oh boy.

Even the UN fucks that poo poo up more often than not, you should read some of the disarmament plans they did for Liberia if you ever want a snapshot of why they have such a bad rep.

Telsa Cola posted:

Seizure and destruction of the boats enough times would actually get them to stop. They have shown they care enough to get their own coast guard involved. Theres a certain point were china cant escalate with out being blatantly obvious to what its doing and I dont think they will go that far yet. Put a boarding team on a boat or two and use that if they get rammed by the Chinese coast guard and enjoy your new prize. Seizure of foreign vessels acting aggressively in your own waters is not going to be hard to defend.
Yeah, while there will always be 'more' ships if you do this all the time you eventually win. Iceland did this with the UK, we just kept cutting their nets and they had to go all the way back to get new ones. And that's a country who's "Navy" consisted of a boat with a gun on it and a buncha divers with net cutters; the Bad Koreans could actually seize the ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
Ive never been to china but i went to get chinese tonight caus eim alone and lonely and moved into a box room and wanted to try the local cuisine and "splurge". as you see i chose chinese because of this thread. i dont know where the man was from, but after i ordered my chow mein extra spicy i asked What Is Ho Fun, is it like noodles? he just repeated to me every option of Ho Fun while pointing at them on the menu and so I said, yes thank you i can see that, but what is Ho Fun? and he said " it best, you try. better " and i said so its like chow mein and he said "you try, its best, everyone buy it" and left.

I looked it up and it does look better. i wish i asked him first but also that he would have told me what the Ho Fun was. in consequence i had no fun. but it was pretty good chow mein tbf. oh well thanks random man.

also here in the uk there's lots of different places that say szechaun, hong kong something or other, and something about thai. where are these immigrants from i wonder? hong kong? and why such a wide spread of options. hmm. wasnt like that in the states

well thanks for letting me talk about my dinner

• Locked thread