Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
The concept is sound, but some of the engineering bits, especially around handling parts of the fuel cycle need work. It's probably going to take several years of expensive prototyping to hash out the details before anyone is serial producing commercial reactors.

IIRC, India was actually planning on building a thorium plant in the near future, possibly before china.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Mameluke posted:

They're afraid of the Norks using their single Windows XP-enabled computer to derive valuable military intelligence from Google Maps, so 51 million people can't play Pokemon Go and have to use loving Naver

Yeah, the real answer is that a paranoid old national security law precluding dirty foreigners from getting their hands on survey data is used to carve out an artificial niche for a big Korean company, I.e. Naver.

I think something similar happened with uber too, although uber is kind of a scummy company so I don't know if they were kicked out to make room for kakaotaxi or if they just ignored all tax regulations or something.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
IIRC, they were required to write it just like that if they wanted to be able to sell the game in China

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Using TanTan in any major North American city yields a way more, uh, normal looking crop of people than what you seem to see.

Maybe it's because it's all 富二代, or something.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGJ5cZnoodY

So, this is actually a pretty cool documentary about the electronics industry in Shenzhen, with a heavy focus on the maker scene and the ah, unique, Chinese approach to electronics IP. It's by Wired and it can feel like a fluff piece at times, especially the bit about IP theft, but it's actually a super cool look at the crazy electronics market and tech scene in what appears to be a super cool city.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

this is a stickup posted:

this is fine and okay. australia, europe and the US are at least 9 months behind china. checks out.

Hey, someone repeated that same line in the documentary I just posted! Is that a thing people are actually saying? I suppose it makes sense if you're talking about consumer electronics manufacturing, but socially, uhh... yeah, no.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

this is a stickup posted:

so how do you explain taiwan, japan and korea

IIRC, the Korean government made it illegal to tell prospective mothers the sex or their fetuses in ultrasound checks until like super late into the pregnancy. Or something like that.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

It's basically just American evangelicalism turned up to 11. There's also Catholics but they don't have power the way the evangelicals do.

My first ever experience in Korea was an old man in the arrivals lounge of incheon airport whacking me in the back of the head with a giant foam cross on a stick

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I'm actually thinking of accepting an offer that would have me moving to Korea in the middle of next year.

I spent a few weeks in Seoul and I thought it was very nice! Huge, clean, modern and with decent food plus beer and friendly people!*

*none of this seemed to apply I the 80% of the city that still looked like 1970s Japan

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

oh you sweet innocent child.

(now that there's craft beer there are drinkable things but paying $10 for a beer sucks)

It's gotten better, some enterprising young Koreans are making decent beer now that can be had for maybe $7 in a few places

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
A cool thing I noticed in Korea is that the good beer scene seems very much like a scene driven by fashionable women. Like, the decent beer bars are mostly populated by thirty-something year old professional women, the sex in the city crowd. I suppose men are mostly into swilling as much cheap liquor as possible, so good beer became a chick thing? I just know that a really good way for me to ingratiate myself with my gf's friends is to bring them nice bottles of good beer and homebrew from the US.

Ballast Point sculpin was also sold st super high prices in the fancy department stores and its definitely not the first time I've seen that brand marketed in Asia as some kind of super luxury beer, their international distribution must be super on point

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

ladron posted:

dyde for real if you are moving to Korea hoping to enjoy the "beer scene" tgen I got some bad news for you

Oh, I know. Ive been teaching myself home brewing in preparation.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Blistex posted:

GI bias stories

One of my first enlightening experiences on my first visit to Korea was getting pulled out of line by the muscular Korean bouncers at every bar/club in Itaewon (Who all turned out to be Korean Americans from the same part of North Jersey as me, lol), being patted down for weapons and thinking "Oh, so this is what it's like to be black!"

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Has anyone else ever transferred through Beijing capital airport? Every time I fly through there I have to follow a lengthy and convoluted series of steps to get to my gate and I always freak out that I'm going to miss my (thankfully always delayed) flight. The staff are very friendly and helpful, but Jesus I shouldn't have to take a bus down the highway and go through customs twice to get from one international flight to another.

On the bright side of things, a boyish Chinese security man patted me down and I called him a cute boy in Chinese and made him VERY uncomfortable. All the other staff giggled at him and this measurably improved my travel experience.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Is it common for Korean moms to sleep with their kids well into their preteen years? Because my gfs kids are four and seven, and they fight over who gets to sleep with their mom and cry if she tries to sleep alone or go out at night. That seems, um, like a really good way to raise some over dependent kids. I feel like the lack of privacy in the bedroom may also have contributed to her divorce from her (European) ex.

I asked my Korean American landlords if they did that as kids, and they both nonchalantly answered that they slept with their moms until they were 11/12. I guess they turned out fine, at least?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

kimcicle posted:

Co-sleeping with children is very common in non-Western countries; in Korea, it's very common for mothers to sleep with their kids on futons on the floor until they reach a certain age. I'm not sure if up to 11/12 is ideal, but studies have shown that co-sleeping actually allows kids to be more independent and autonomous because those kids have boosted self esteem and confidence due to a fulfillment of their needs of attention, attachment, and human contact.

Also it's super easy to co-sleep in Korea because only recently have beds become the norm; before you would just toss down a futon and sleep on the ground, and then pack up the futon after you wake up in the morning. That's also why super clean floors and taking off your shoes before you enter a home are a thing.

Huh, I never thought of it that way. That's actually pretty fascinating, thanks!

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
IIRC that guy made some posts in Reddit about how the house/property thing was somehow a scam where his inlaws sucked him dry.

Which sounds pretty horrid because then they'd be loving over their own daughter too, which is just like holy crap

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Dicky mouse posted:

Where in Korea to people buy their dildo's?

You can probably buy that stuff on the internet nowadays, but they do have sex shops. They're just like sex shops anywhere else, except half the wall space will be dedicated to silicon recreations of anime girl private parts and, occasionally, whole anime themed sex dolls.

Other than that though, sex shops seem like a normal store, not very taboo at all. One even had a really cute puppy for customers to play with!

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Cute and dumb little pugs seem to predominate there, especially at dog cafes.

I love the animal cafe thing, too. I tried out a raccoon cafe and they were like, cats with fingers. They knew what pockets were and would climb all over you, sticking their little hands in your pockets and trying to steal stuff.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I'm not so sure if the instant marriage offer thing is always serious, though. I think a lot of it is just their culture's way for girls to get past the whole "slut shaming" psychological barrier a lot of women seem to have with casual relationships. A few of the girls I knew would start off talking like that, but after you get past the initial barrier they become totally okay with being FWB and totally okay with both of us still seeing other people.

Some girls definitely do take that stuff seriously though, and being told "our hybrid baby will be beautiful" by a girl you just met 8 hours ago is pretty :aaaaa:

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

One phone for every uber style taxi/delivery app! You've only got 10 seconds to mash your finger on a request, and missing one puts you at risk for getting temporarily disconnected for "inactivity!"

I've seen the same thing in Korea in the badass delivery bike dudes, but they usually only have like, three or four.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

MetaJew posted:

I was in Seoul a few weeks ago and saw how every bike messenger had a custom bezel and at least two phones plugged in but I had no idea what they were used for. I initially assumed one was a personal phone and the other was for work. Can you share any more details about them?

Nope, just know about the multiple phone thing from stuff like uber/lyft in the US.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Operation Flashpoint! The first game made by the people who make Arma. That game had a huge modding community, you could fill a bunch of hard drives with all the addons and fully voiced, scripted extra campaigns people made.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Unfortunately I've seen that website and those of its ilk pop up in facebook posts by relatively normal people. I think they post about Fukushima so much that they show up on the first page of google results pretty frequently.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
It's mostly a social media app that also happens to have a secondary "meet people" function. Most people don't use it very much.

TanTan is the tinder clone that you're probably looking for, just be aware that it sends your password and stuff over a basically unencrypted format.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I think the regular boring guy travel stories are a nice contrast to the usual gloom and doom in the thread.

Not to say I want the gloom and doom stories to stop, please post more poop and sex, tia

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
The one time I genuinely yelled at my girlfriend was when she cut off a tractor trailer trying to merge into an exit lane without looking. She never ever looks when merging or lane switching and I guess she never knew to because they just don't do it in Korea?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
The stopping in the middle of the highway and then reversing to try and get into your exit thing was really scary the first time I watched a grown rear end women with a JD and fluency in three languages do it.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

gently caress these hard rear end korean beds. Every bed is rock hard or a thin futon resting on the hard ground. I understand that traditional eastern beds were wood slabs but that no excuse for not updating.

I was assured that my memory foam mattress would be very soft. Its more like that flower arranging foam in terms of comfort. I dont have to live it with forever, but i really do miss my decadent western bed.

At least the beds in love hotels are normal.

No wonder those people don't have any kids, married couples are reduced to trying to gently caress on a slab.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Erik Prince was mad that the US Government wouldn't hire him to be an adventurer anymore, so he made a company that runs support and security services for the Chinese in the "fun" parts of Africa.

IIRC, at least one former US military officer who signed onto he board resigned in disgust when he realized the company he had just joined was taking money from the Chinese foreign intelligence service to help them empire build in Africa.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Is Koreans being bad tourists a Thing? Because I just spent some time in Manila with my girlfriend on a work trip, and I definitely noticed the way she treated service staff. Like, her brusque attitude is great when she's telling a scammer to gently caress off, but it doesn't seem to change much even when a waiter or hotel staff is being genuinely nice to us. Maybe I'm just too sheltered?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
She wasn't a sneering capitalist from soviet propaganda or something, but she did change her tone of voice and manner of speaking to one that was a bit more brusque. When I asked her she said that it's Southeast Asia, they won't understand you if don't speak like that!

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

ladron posted:

I've worked with at least 8 of them, all named "JiYoung"

Trying to find my gf on Facebook was like, a two hour endeavor. Do you have any idea how many JiYoung's there are in Seoul? Sorting by last name or even by job barely even helps. It was actually pretty funny trying to pick her or from the endless sea of heavily filtered, identically posed profile pictures.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i won't even ask out the korean girl i kinda like because of this thread

Lol, don't be a goon.

Seriously bizarre blowups about INSULTING KOREA only happen like, two or three times a year.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

If it makes you feel better I watched a Chinese person from tech get her foot stuck in the revolving door and collapse screaming, causing several people to be stuck. This was literally 5 mins ago when I grabbed lunch and I kept thinking about it and laughing.

I'm not 100% sure what happened but I guess she kicked her foot back really high as the door turned and it totally caught her and I guess crushed her foot/ankle region.

This is uh, really awful

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

curufinor posted:

Mr Problem in SK is deffo trying to go for that (lol at suggesting that the leftist is gonna go all for American-style fygm growth).

Yeah, the new SK president actually seems like a nice and reasonable guy who's shockingly successful at rolling out social democratic policies :kiddo:

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

simplefish posted:

I don't bitch about it being the cops fault for catching me if i do. Also i dont get a ticket in the morning the go right out and do it again the same afternoon, like wtf is that avout?

Lol you just keep doubling down

Also in the US the incredible patchwork of different police departments and local cultural differences makes it really hard for people to know how fast they're actually supposed to go. Like a southern speed trap town or a rich Maryland suburb might have cops that pull you over for going 5 over whereas NJ state troopers regularly pull people out of he left lanes on the highway for *only* going 10 over the speed limit like some kind of pussy.

That's not even getting into actual speed trap towns where they're just trying to justify citing you for revenue purposes.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I've only ever once had a drunk old dude say something when I'm visiting Korea with my gf, but she's rich and her friends are rich and they all married rich and attractive French/German guys.

The only thing I noticed about locals that was weird to me (in Gangnam anyways, can't speak much for most of the rest of the country) is that all the young people were wearing like the same five trendy outfits. They looked good, though!

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo actually though

Gee I wonder who might have been reporting his posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

Is this... supposed to mean me? I'm super loving confused.

Sorry friend, what I meant was this forums favorite unnamed, triggered anti-china sexhaving poster(s)

Heer98 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 15, 2017

• Locked thread