Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

what's your current face status after that devastating truth bomb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i'm no slavery expert but i'm pretty sure that even if you free slaves but still allow slavery, there will still be lots of slaves. another scenario is that i am not a slaver, but i see some charity paying out for slaves. now there is a demand, and i will become a slaver.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

trump participates in face culture too. could be a coin flip

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

nickmeister posted:

Um, uh, what? Where was she from? Reading this I feel like it's similar to foreigners thinking Americans all have the "cowboy" attitude or something.

Like half of the foreign students from Asian countries that I met in my undergrad asked me if I loved country music and if I wore cowboy boots. It was crazy because at the time I dress liked a punk scumbag.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

My boss is an elderly Thai woman and she was sick the last couple days. All she did was drink really hot water to try to cure herself. I mean, hydrating is always a good idea, but I kept laughing that that was her "cure".

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Glenn Quebec posted:

Why drink unflavored water hot

Like... Why not tea?

My boss drinks tons of tea, but not when she is sick. :confused:

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Outrail posted:

It's pretty hard to wipe out first world populations with deadly disease.

The second people start to realize there's an un-treatable form of flesh eating bacteria running around the system will kick in and everyone will self quarantine. Remember when Ebola was running around the South (the South of all places), it barely infected anyone. We have the systems in place to handle virulent deadly diseases like that.

Antibiotic resistent STD's that take weeks or months or years to show symptoms like HIV? Yeah we hosed.

Outbreak 2: The Plunge
A dangerous sexually transmitted virus threatens civilization after it goes airborne in this tense thriller. After a foreigner named Haier carrying a lethal virus is deported, an outbreak occurs in a Canadian town. To control the spread of the disease, a team of doctors is brought in that includes a TCM expert (Dustin Hoffman) and his ex-wife (Rene Russo). Once the Army intervenes to handle the situation, though, the doctors must fight against the clock to save face.
Release date: March 10, 2017 (USA)

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 25, 2017

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i'm a teacher at a university in the us, and before class i saw one of my students from china using wechat on her phone. i told her that i knew what it was, and i asked her if she was "meeting anyone good on it." it is a small class so we have a pretty good rapport. i was just joking with her, but she got super embarrassed. did i make her lose face or something?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

lol i just thought it was like facebook.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Does she currently need an A in your class?

if i told you no and then told you the subject, you might suggest i was making a racist joke. so i wont mention it ;)

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Given what we know (you're a goon, she's a FOB mainlander) I will guess your class is about how to jerk off a computer.

well no, but is computer programming big for chinese students? most of ours are in the business program for whatever reason. and since i believe every single word in this thread is complete truth, i imagine they are failing business ethics. i dont actually take this thread for FACE value

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i imagine he's quoting reddit like he's done before. just give the link, guy

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

E_P posted:

All the goons I have met have been generally good people with the occasional weirdo sprinkled in but none of them were ever malicious in their weirdness. Maybe that has something to do with Korea but Haiers deep fear of meeting people from the internet makes me think it is more on Haier being a strange person who invites conflict versus goons actually being assholes [however once again maybe chinagoons are a lot different then korea goons.]

not wanting to meet goons in real life is just a smart move. just meet up with normal people instead.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

These poor women sound so broken. I cannot stop reading about it though.

Mimesweeper posted:

This is the best thread there ever was.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

ok i feel stupid but can someone explain these to me. is it mental illness, drunkenness, a scam for money, a mixture of these, or is it something else?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

oohhboy posted:

Man of Taichi was a weird as hell pro China movie that ends in a Ki attack and a villian whose final words are equally weird. It even promotes poor behaviour as a virtue in China. The fights are pretty terrible as they are overly choreographed, go on for way too long and the protagonist almost never take any damage of any kind.

Don't watch it even ironically as it is just a bad movie.

this is a wrong opinion. the weirdness is worth it

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Chomp8645 posted:

God damnit we're going to have to change the definition of "AI" just like we did for "literally" because everyone loving uses it wrong, aren't we?

2013: Literally means figuratively now.

2017: Artificial intelligence means regular, non-intelligent machine but with complex algorithms.

literally used to mean "of, relating to, or expressed in letters" so just have a rest and some hot water about this bud

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

CG's written word sounds a lot like trump's speech.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

TsarZiedonis posted:

Taiwan is not China.

drat wow

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Collateral Damage posted:

Solar roadways are also absolute bullshit. It's not lack of space to put panels on that stops the world going solar.

lol i had never heard of this before but this was my first thought. it took me seconds to question this poo poo. put them literally anywhere else that wont constantly be covered with vehicles/dirt/anything.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i guess it depends on whether a road is clean, but i would say a solar panel in an empty field or on top of a building will 9 times out of 10 be cleaner than the "transparent concrete" of a road. It would certainly be easier to maintain.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

gently caress. that might be the worst one yet

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

GotLag posted:

I find myself dying to know how the machine gets all the tiles facing the right way up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDNvqS9QPk

looks like magnets

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The boy's a time bomb!

i got it and thought the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009