Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Just 10 more months, just 10 more months...

Anyway have some random images:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Tupperwarez posted:

Has anyone ever been able to ask the people who do this poo poo "What did you expect would happen?" and get an honest answer regarding their thought process?

You will get one of three responses:
1. Shift the blame to someone else
2. Change the topic
3. Pretend they didn't hear the question no matter how much you repeat/insist

It's like a literal brick wall.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Reminds me when they were remodeling the library at my uni, well, not "the" library since there were several, but the only library within walking distance of our campus. They started just before the exams in year 1 which already shows some great thinking ahead, and the said it would be open for the new school year. When we graduated a year later we could still hear the echoes of the workers in library spitting up phlegmballs.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Chinese hurt feelings will never not be funny.

http://www.whatsonweibo.com/another-apology-to-china-anger-displays-nationalism-on-chinese-social-media/

According to some commentators, the sensitivity over “hurt feelings” sometimes becomes problematic. Last July, Japanese vlogger Kinoshita Yuka, known for eating large quantities of food on camera, came under fire after she posted a video of herself eating 137 bananas. Chinese netizens wondered if Kinoshita was eating bananas that originated from the Philippines, and if the 137 bananas were an allusion to China’s 1.37 billion population, as a revenge in reference to the South China Sea verdict. The YouTube video soon triggered another war of words between Chinese and foreign netizens, as many Chinese netizens viewed the act as a deliberate insult aimed at China . One comment read: “At a sensitive time like this, you release this video of you eating 137 Philippine-grown bananas to insult the Chinese, are you dumb? Do you think the Chinese are easily bullied?”

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Dr. Killjoy posted:

man so good at reading between the clues and seeing the hidden anti-chinese conspiracies that it's a wonder china doesn't have its own infowars

All of Chinese media is basically "Chinese Infowars". They hold back a little with the English language articles, but the Chinese language ones are full on tinfoil. Like that professor at a military academy claiming Zootopia was an American attack on Chinese culture http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-china-zootopia-20160414-story.html There are plenty of other example as well. If you are interested http://cmp.hku.hk/is really good for an analysis of Chinese media.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

url posted:

http://chinadigitaltimes.net/2016/09/backlash-online-chinese-nationalism/

Is There a Backlash Against Online Nationalism?

Vaguely interesting, since it would mean Rene Chang and Levon Wei's arch nemesis in Vancouver might have to tone it down a bit.

Oh gently caress, Sixth Tone is also state owned? Now I will ignore them like I do with all state owned media in China.

Second, I think the article is giving Chinese authorities way too much credit, there is no way they have self awareness enough to realize that this blind nationalism makes them look like spoiled children.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

School Nickname posted:

I'm watching the second season of Mr. Robot, but reading this thread has left my suspension of disbelief shattered whenever the show hammers its "When China Rules the World" schtick. I just laugh at it. Though I have to say B.D. Wong is loving excellent in it.

I don't plan to watch that show at all, but I want to know how they're portraying China. Please tell!

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Today I asked students to name a hero from Chinese history and all of them said Mao immediately. It took a second for me to contain my disgust before I could continue.

Was it from one of these China threads or from somwhere else that I heard a teacher asking Chinese kids "who is you hero, and what do you want to be when you grow up" and all or nearly all of the boys wen "Mao, and I want to be a business man!"

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

McGavin posted:

China. China never changes.

A diplomat from Singapore speaks out how Chinese diplomats see the world. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/01/world/asia/china-singapore-diplomacy-bilahari-kausikan.html?_r=0

quote:

If a negotiation in Southeast Asia does not suit China, he said, its diplomats blame the other party. “It is our fault, and ours alone,” he said, explaining China’s usual attitude toward members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, a regional group that includes Singapore and nine other countries.

[...]

Chinese diplomats often express bewilderment that China’s generosity toward Southeast Asia — in trade and investment — does not engender gratitude, or at the least, diminish mistrust, Mr. Kausikan said. Chinese behavior, he suggested, is best understood as “passive-aggressive” and an effort to “force acceptance of China’s inherent superiority” as the natural order of Southeast Asian regional affairs.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its one of those things where some sick gently caress could wipe out a village or two and the local authority wouldnt notice. Chinese stories always sound like poo poo out of Megacity 1. millions of people either doing awful back breaking labor(making products for fat fucks like us) for poo poo money or they are living boring petty consumerist lives and always outraged about bullshit. accidents and crimes happen every other day killing a ton of people in large numbers and people dont really care. the criminals(violent or political) are killed quickly and their bodies used by the state or sold to some loving weird dutch rear end in a top hat.

China is exactly like the dystopian future as predicted by 80's movies.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
That's why I get my China news from NYT, HKFP and Sinocism, as these three have so far stood against the economic censorship China likes to emploly towards foreign media.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Haier posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/13/air-pollution-linked-to-increased-mental-illness-in-children

Little Emperors rejoice. Also, LOL at those dumbos that want to raise their hybrids in China thinking that's what they need to do for the kid to keep speaking Chinese.

Air pollution is legit by far the thing that scares and stresses me out the most in China, just 10 more loving months here, but how knows how I've already been hosed up :smithicide:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Isn't the best places to go in China during a holiday is to a local place or a smaller lesser known attraction like a lesser temple in Xi'an? It's still crowded but not unbearably so if I remember correctly, although the trains are jammed.

Yeah, my first national holiday I was lucky enough to get on a small trip with 6 other foreginers and a guide who knew what she was doing. We went to this fantastic place on the Zhejiang/Anhui border and it was almost deserted and super chill.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
According to Chinese media, BDSM is now a psychological condition.

Background: a couple posted some fairly mild BDSM pictures on weibo with the result that the Police interwened and Global Times had to write an article about how horrible BDSM is.

An expert interviewed by Global Times says that the couple suffers from a disease called ‘sexual abuse addiction’ (性虐待成瘾). “’Sexual abuse addiction’ conflicts with China’s social norms.” Global Times writes that “sexual abuse addiction” conflicts with China’s social norms. According to China’s leading psychologist Zhao Xiaoming (赵小明), the causes of this ‘disease’ are complex and can be traced back to childhood abuse or sexual violence, leading people to search for “abnormal stimulation” as an adult.

The public display of ‘sexual abuse addiction’ negatively affects individuals and society at large, the article argues, but can be completely cured. The Weibo couple should, therefore, “seek professional medical attention” in order for them to be able to “lead a happy life”.

http://www.whatsonweibo.com/fifty-shades-vulgar-bdsm-lifestyle-slammed-chinese-media/

China is looking more and more like a parody of 1950's America when it comes to sexuality.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

if you ever want some easy entertainment, comment in a chris brown video how he beat rhianna but its okay because he's so good at dancing. The classiest people jump to his defense.

Is there any chinese celebrity who constantly says/does stupid things but is still beloved by people who only know him from his artistic contribution?

i can only think of jackie chan, but its more like he's a party mouthpiece and not an idiot all on his own.

Just say anything that is even slightly negative about anything vaguely Chinese, and you'll get throngs of those people.

Edit: That dickhead Chinese swimmer fits the bill.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Gargamel Gibson posted:

My parents are flying to Hong Kong and taking a cruise to China and Vietnam. How does one make funeral arrangements when loved ones pass away overseas? Thanks.

Not from personal experience but I've been told by several people that China is one of the most expensive and difficult countries to repatriate dead bodies from. Any travel insurance should cover repatriation.

That being said, the chance of them actually dying on tour is very small. Yes China is loving poo poo to live in, but it's not a bad place to visit.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

The Great Autismo! posted:

When I had to go to the best Chinese hospital. Hey look it's a no smoking sign and a guy squatting in front of it smoking. If China ever gets a new flag I hope they put this on it. the worst part about this is I tell the guy "you can't smoke here" and he's like "oh I know". It isn't even ignorance. He knows he shouldn't smoke in the hosptial...he just don't care about anyone else around him. It's straight up rudeness and selfishness engrained into the culture. It's disgusting and sad, and it happens every day.

This (and the air pollution) is really what bothers me about China, like you say, it's not just ignorance, it's straight up not seeing past the tip of your nose. People I talk to, both Chinese and foreign say that things will get better with better education etc, but I'm not convinced. First beacuse the education is poo poo and is all about memorizing stuff instead of becoming a well rounded human being and things don't seem to be changing, second because there are few if any role models I see plenty of those so called "young urban" Chinese engaging in this behavior as much as the middle aged ones, third it's all deeply part of the culture at this point. I don't know though, maybe I'm being too cynical, and too biased?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ8mn5fS5_M

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

At one of the schools I work at one of the other teachers asked me when I thought it was built, a couple weeks after I'd started. I looked around at the state of the buildings and classrooms and guessed the late 70s, early 80s. It was actually 2010.

Yes, this was soemthing that shocked me as well when i first came to China. When looking for an apartment I ended up living in a nice area in Shanghai in a building from 2009, yet in many ways it was in worse condition than most of the mid-60's Communist blocks I've lived in across eastern Europe.

Second, when my mom came to visit me, at which point I was living in a different place, I asked her to guess when the building was built, she guessed early 50's, yet it was from 1992.

Same with roads and highways in some places in China the highways are deteriorating faster than highways made out of literal cardboard in eastern Europe.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Stuff posted:

China lost to Syria 0-1 in World Cup qualifiers.

How long until some high ranking fotball officials suddenly get ensnared in a "curruption" probe?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Scionix posted:

how do you not go fuckign insane living in china and never seeing the honest to god blue sky

First of all, it really does affect my mental well-being (10 more months, 10 more months...), but to be fair, since about June the pollution has been reasonably low in Shanghai. I can't remember the last time there was this long stretch of blue skies and not having to wear my mask everywhere.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
For some reason, in Shanghai, I noticed most people wearing masks when the AQI is 100-150 (unhealthy for sensitive groups) but a lot less when it's 150+ (unhealthy up to 200, very unhealthy 200-300 and hazardous 300+)

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

oohhboy posted:

Air New Zealand has outsourced their Engineering to Singapore and it is dumb for different non-Chinese like reason. It's bad because they work very strictly to contract which means if one part of the aircraft is being worked on and another part has a defect it doesn't get noted down or fixed and if you insist it costs"Extra". At least the work contarcted is being done.

I don't know which company ANZ uses or the contract terms, but on a general basis I've heard good things about aircraft maintenance in Singapore from people in the know.

Xiamen has a huge aircraft maintenance center as part of HAECO (Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Company) I haven't heard anything good or bad about the Xiamen branch, but HAECO seems to have a good reputation so I'm just gonna tell my self that things will be just fine.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Captain Postal posted:

I feel at this point I should remind the thread that the chinese regional jet, the ARJ21, is being produced in two versions. One that meets FARs and can operate in the rest of the world, and one that doesn't and can't and is strictly China domestic use only.

If anyone is wondering what the difference between the two is, its the paperwork. FARs require everything to be documented and logged, whereas the domestic version will get by on "Good Enough" and luck

No, there won't be any FAR certified version of the ARJ21 at all.

quote:

The plane will fly without U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certification despite a five-year effort to have the FAA endorse CAAC's certification procedures, the people said.

An FAA type certificate would have boosted the reputation of the airplane's developer Commercial Aircraft Corp of China (Comac) and cleared the way for the plane to be sold and operated globally - though expectations for foreign sales had been low. Without it, the aircraft can operate only in China and some Asian, African and South American countries that recognize the CAAC's certificate.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-aircraft-arj21-exclusive-idUSKCN0SF2XN20151021

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Horrible imperialist western and Japanese propaganda claims glorious Chinar isn't #1

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

What is social innovation

A Pinball Wizard posted:

ok but wtf does this even mean

From the EIU:

"As a relatively novel concept, it lacks an established definition. Most broadly, it can refer to new services and products, or new processes, rules and regulations, that help meet a social need--for instance reducing the number of homeless people on the streets, keeping children in school, or ensuring commodities are produced sustainably for fair wages. The benefits of social innovation, wherever it arises, accrue to society as a whole rather than individuals, although in some cases socially innovative projects can also produce profits and investment returns."

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I just wanted to dump on China, and not starting a whole thing.

Here, have some Chinese tourists instead.

quote:

Over the National Day holiday, more than 100 Chinese tourists were denied entry to the popular South Korean resort island of Jeju. Tourists claim that after being denied entry they were told by customs officers that they could either purchase new tickets back home or wait for their return flights inside the airport.

Some travelers lived like that for more than five days while waiting for their flight home.

One of the stranded Chinese tourist surnamed Zhang told reporters that he had been denied entry to Jeju because he had not printed out a confirmation from the hotel after booking a five-day tour of the island for himself and his wife online. The report fails to add why Zhang couldn't have simply printed out the tickets at the airport.
It's also not clear if the island's authorities are cracking down on Chinese tourists due to a pair of explosive incidents last month and intense pressure from the public. In early September, a group of rowdy Chinese tourists beat up a restaurant owner on the island after she told them not to bring in drinks from outside. One week later, a Chinese tourist stabbed a Korean woman to death as she was praying at a local chapel because she reminded him of his ex-wife.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&threadid=3790448

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I'm gonna pretend I didn't see that, and instead talk about Chinese tourists.

Remeber the travel blacklist the government launched to combat face loss due to tourists bad behavior? It was created in May 2015, since then hundred of millions of Chinese people have traveled inside and outside of China, how many people are on that list? A whooping 24!

Does the list even matter? Let's ask someone who is on it!

quote:

An article on the WeChat account of Guangming Online asked whether the list was merely a “paper tiger.”

One man added to the blacklist shortly after it was set up told The Zhejiang Elderly News that being on it did not change his life much.

“I got back from Thailand and am off to Korea,” said the man, from Jiangsu Province and identified only by his surname, Wang. “At the worst, you can’t join a tour group. Independent travel is the thing to do.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/11/w...collection&_r=0

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I always derided my fellow Scandinavians for being picky as hell eaters, but that was until I experienced China and Korea. China and Korea really are decades ahead of the west when it comes to stupid as poo poo picky eating.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Interesting things happening in Hong Kong, newly elected anti-Beijing lawmakers are protesting while taking the oath

"LegCo Sec. rejects oaths of 3 incoming lawmakers as one refers to ‘People’s Ref**king of Chee-na’"

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2016/10/12/legco-sec-rejects-oaths-of-3-incoming-lawmakers-as-one-refers-to-peoples-refking-of-chee-na/

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

The comments make me weep for the future of my children. Sure I will escape China, but will my children escape Chinese influence?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

Colour revolution may bring opportunity for looting, stealing and grabbing but it is nonetheless had its day.

:irony:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

nickmeister posted:

Isn't the "Shanghai school system" thing British articles have been raving about actually a system for teaching math a few teachers from Shanghai invented? You know, rather than actually the way they teach in Shanghai?

As for the whole "word salad" thing in essays, I've heard Chinese essays tend to be graded on how many 4-character "chengyus" (idioms) that are used.

Part of the secret of the Shanghai school system is to keep below average students away from taking the standardized tests which determine school quality/level like PISA.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Tupperwarez posted:

Most people and pundits who cheer for "X with Chinese characteristics" almost always have a hard-on for authoritarianism. They would probably be singing praises to Putin too, but he's probably too blatantly Mafia for their delicate sensibilities.

I see plenty of people commenting on FB and news articles saying how Putin is a great leader smeared by western propaganda, and how whatever country they live in should be more like Russia.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Koramei posted:

I mean I find it gross too but you guys realize there's really nothing actually wrong with chewing with your mouth open right? It's just cultural differences.txt. For all the mocking of Chinese people's dumb hangups, this is basically the same thing.

e: exception being if they spit on you while they're doing it which is legitimately rude as gently caress

The way I see it, if they do it in China it's ok (still gross) as it's part of their culture and it's not hurting anyone and it's not inherently rude. If they do it abroad in the US or Europe, then calling them out and shaming them for it is ok as they should respect the culture of the place they are at (as if lol).

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

I didn't call anyone out on it when I lived in China but you can't just say everything is a "part of your culture" as justification for it. Part of the culture is defensible when it's something they gave thought to and cultivated -- in that case even something unpalatable like bullfighting is still defensible because it's a genuine part of the culture. The way people eat in China sometimes however is not a part of their culture, it's not something they cultivated and considered. It's just a lacuna in thought, it's like just ripping rear end wherever you are because you're a moron and never thought to hold it in while you're in the elevator. It's not a part of Chinese culture to eat like a loving animal, it's one of the gaps in their culture that allows for it. Americans have huge gaps in their culture as well (use your loving inside voice on the bus at 6:30 am Curt, we're not in your daddy's loving cornfield right now) but it would be retarded to suggest that these gaps are anything other than negative space -- they're where thoughtless animal habit shines through the culture, not the culture itself.

Interesting point, I never looked at it as "culture" vs. "negative space" your argument makes sense in that context. My point of view is that culture is not necessarily something that has been cultivated and developed over time, but could also be everything that is generally accepted and generally not accepted within a culture. I'm not saying we should accept everything because "it's their culture", but I am giving them the benefit of the doubt in certain cases (slurping while eating) but not in others (smoking in elevators to give an unrelated example).

Anyway, I understand your point now.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Sten Freak posted:

We were at Arches national park last weekend. Amazing place, probably my favorite I've visited. The very closest observation spot is a short drive from the welcome center and has a 50' walk from the lot to a small viewing area. It's stunning no doubt, but there is a hike you can do from there and miles more road past arches , balancing rocks, hiking trails that take you to enormous arches, cave art etc. A bus stopped and a group of loud Chinese tourists got off. Honestly no big deal or fuss. The thing is they hung for a bit taking photos, one lady sang for a bit, loaded back up and left the park having seen the first thing they came to and only .01℅ of the park. Arches is fairly out there too. I guess they were driving on to grand canyon but drat that's a lot of road for so little time.

Also the butterfly essay was top notch.

Tourism with Chinese characteristics, it's all about shopping or taking one picture with the most famous landmark in whatever place you go to, I always smirk internally when I go to museums and see people run between exhibits quickly snapping photos of everything before going back out. But this style of tourism is also quite handy, if you just go to a less famous place, the crowds will be minimal. One national holiday I went to this lake region about 3-4 hours outside of Shanghai and it was more or less devoid of people, it was amazing.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Potrzebie posted:

As we sensitive westerners respect other cultures when we travel abroad, eh? :ironicat:

"should"

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Source your quotes, but the fact that I didn't pay a dowry even though her parents wanted me to, when I got married is one of my proudest China moments. Instead I just got her dad two cartons of chungwa and just paid for the tiny (15 people) banquet, I was out less than 1000 USD for my Chinese wedding.

My Russian colleague paid a dowry of close to 300.000 RMB, and he's not wealthy by any means, that must have been a rough as gently caress hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
To the goons who where present in China in late 2012, early 2013, remember how Xi Jinping was lauded as the great reformer? Well he's reforming allright.

quote:

But this week, China’s top leader made clear to the chiefs of the country’s biggest companies that there is only one boss who matters. In an unusual meeting that ended on Tuesday, President Xi Jinping announced that the Chinese Communist Party had the ultimate say over state companies.

“Party leadership and building the role of the party are the root and soul for state-owned enterprises,” said Mr. Xi, who is also the party’s general secretary, according to the state’s official news media. “The party’s leadership in state-owned enterprises is a major political principle, and that principle must be insisted on.”

Mr. Xi’s comments, made at a national meeting to discuss the role of the party, indicate that he is unwilling to relinquish too much control over China’s state companies. Those state-owned companies — which dominate industries as disparate as banking, telecommunications and resources — command nearly 40 percent of China’s industrial assets and contribute to the government’s tight control over the economy, the world’s second-largest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/14/w...collection&_r=0

So, while the Chinese economy is slowing down, and questions about the efficiency and ability of innovate have been raised Xi dada want's to further tighten control and bureaucratize the lumbering giants that are Chinese state owned companies.

What I'm saying in short is, get your money out of China asap.

• Locked thread