Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
the constant whining about how not racist you all are no really they're the real racists takes way more out of these threads than the two or three times people have been probated for arguably dumb reasons over 2 years of these things

fbr has been going kind of nuts lately though imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

The Great Autismo! posted:

I think it's because all of the intellectuals about China like modest Mao and sincx took their money and intellect and fled the thread for nicer threads when they saw it was getting lovely and now it's just shitposters and crazy people running things

the threads stopped being good when bloodnose left

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
i dunno how you can have lived in east asia for years and still be surprised by circle lenses

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
it's probably an all of the above situation.

e: makeup surgery lenses and then one of those dumb filters to go with it at the end

i guess i'm too used to koreans if that picture is unremarkable to me

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
she looks like she got a chin implant to me but maybe that's more natural for some Chinese people

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

icantfindaname posted:

It also doesn't preclude Chinese attitudes from changing in the future, as in Europe systems of ethics different from the old stuff like Kant or Utlitarians became a thing in the modern period and modern Europeans and Americans don't actually adhere to traditional Platonic ethics in reality

That said though a lot of the stuff about Chinese people just being idiots/believing hilariously stupid things is probably just an artifact of bad education and the intellectual climate in the country

Yeah, while a shitload of the stuff in these threads is very bad I think people here underestimate how much is just due to a rapidly developing country where a generation or two ago most of the population were farmers + cultural revolution and all. Maybe I'm wrong on this but I expect if you look at how it went in countries that are developed today there'd often be similar themes. The idea that modern Chinese culture and attitudes are gonna be stuck in the toilet for time eternal is pretty pessimistic.

I mean of course when it's had a chance to get better, climate change is gonna mess everything up again but that's a different thing entirely

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
That's depressing then.

Have any of you, by some chance, talked about cannibalism with modern Chinese people? E.g. what's the reaction to the tale (I think from Romance of the Three Kingdoms) where the guy chops up and cooks his wife so the visiting official won't go hungry and is lauded for it? P-Mack's posts about the indifference to cannibalism during the Taiping have been pretty alarming.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Ccs posted:

Some things related to tech like computer animation have also been developing pretty impressively in China, though that's also because of foreign companies coming into China and training the workforce in the style of Western production standards.

Some of their partnerships have worked out okay but I have yet to see indigenous Chinese animation that is anything but garbage, do you have any good examples?

quote:

But China is really good at realistic art. Like, the average kid who take the art tests in China have much much better observational skills and dedication to craft than most Western art students. Maybe that's because it's part of an exam, which is really pushed there. It's interesting how "good enough" coexists with an educational system like the gaokao that decides people's life's path.

this on the other hand i agree with. China has boatloads of world class illustrators.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The other two look bad and/or incredibly derivative but you're right, Little Door Gods actually looks pretty good, I'll have to try and catch that

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I mean I find it gross too but you guys realize there's really nothing actually wrong with chewing with your mouth open right? It's just cultural differences.txt. For all the mocking of Chinese people's dumb hangups, this is basically the same thing.

e: exception being if they spit on you while they're doing it which is legitimately rude as gently caress

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I'm with you on the dumping thing but how is it harder to have a conversation with your mouth open than with it literally shut and unable to speak

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Outrail posted:

I guess the answer to that is it's a western thing to make fun of people who chew with their mouth open.

Yeah, basically. I don't like it either. But there's not actually anything wrong with it.

This feeling of disgust you all have about lip smacking, remember it the next time someone yells at you for being a dipshit in their eyes, because it's what they feel too.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Dicky mouse posted:

What wrong with her eyes? is it some kinda filter they use?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Haier posted:

***She speaks English just fine, but like most English-speaking Chinese girls I know they prefer to write in Chinese when chatting because they think writing English takes too long.

I doubt that's the only reason. You have a lot more control when you're writing in your native language. Especially with the kinds of conversations you get up to I could understand them wanting that.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yes, it is, hugely. A lot of the Koreans I talk to (especially the young ones) even know that, but they still feel like they'll be falling behind if they don't go.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
the dumbest thing these threads have done is when everyone went into full internet Japan defense force for someone having the audacity to criticize it about as much as people slam on China regularly in here

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I think the thread can get pretty bad sometimes but when you view it in the context of expats fed up about poo poo and venting about it, I think that's fine. The only time it kinda pisses me off is when people are making posts about e.g. the emasculated Asian American male subreddits (which are the same exact thing) without any apparent sense of self awareness.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I think it works better caught between the china and japan threads without its own proper space

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Fojar38 posted:

Japan is sufficiently stable, cosmopolitan (at least in the big cities), and good that you're unlikely to find stories in the same vein as Chinar or Corea

Lol

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

dubzee posted:

Unfortunately they are up against the aforementioned societal norms and a men's rights movement that makes makes the reddit fedora-havers look quaint.

from wikipedia:

huh

well gee i guess that must be accurate

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
yes

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

THE PWNER posted:

The only real objection could be that Spanish is way more useful in the US. People in the anglosphere in general just have an immediate negative reaction to the notion that learning a second language is a good idea, regardless of the language, because we already know the best language!!.

is this actually the perception of it outside the anglosphere? it's come up a few times now. I have never met a monolingual English speaker who is anything but deeply ashamed of that fact. the reason we only know English is because we are lazy, not because we think all foreign tongues are revolting or whatever

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Blistex posted:

The GI bias runs pretty deep in Korea, but then again I've seen cases where they do act just as bad as their reputation would lead you to believe (which is not half as bad/unruly/destructive as the average group of Korean salarymen on a bender). On the other hand I've been mistaken for a GI on a few occasions and gotten royal treatment from old guys who used to be in joint ROK/US units and would tell me stories of the cool stuff they used to do, and the friend they made.

isn't the crime rate among GIs and foreigners in general in all these countries something stupid like just 5% of the local rate? I remember that coming up for Okinawa at least and I expect it's similar elsewhere.

I don't think there's any great mystery to it though, foreigners cause outrage in any society, just look at Europe these past couple of years for an obvious example. In a homogeneous society that's amplified. The same goes for them not comprehending you speaking their language, in my experience you can go to rural England and get the same dumb looks for looking like a foreigner that I got for not being Korean.

Haier posted:

Hong Kong on duct tape. HONG KONG STICK TO CHINA FOREVER!

this actually owns

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

JaucheCharly posted:

In the 1880s-1900s presumably.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afong_Moy

quote:

In 1834, she was brought to New York City from her home of Guangzhou by Nathaniel and Frederick Carne, who exhibited her as "the Chinese Lady"

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
lil bit weird that you noticed that to be honest

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
ah that makes sense

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
man i hadn't seen this one before

badass

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Facebook Aunt posted:

This guy seems fine with with his situation. He doesn't even need to be tied up.

the outward burns are nothing compared to the flame of juche that will forever rage in his heart

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
the only good writing system is Egyptian hieroglyphics p

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-37847056

quote:

Police in southern China are punishing drivers who dazzle other road users with full-beam headlights by making them stare into the lights for a minute, it's reported.

lol

Sheep-Goats posted:

Same poo poo to me

wow gee, all of you are more shocked by someone dying than me, a former EMT?? what a bunch of babies you must be

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
ladron honest question, why did you live there for 10 years if you seem to so viscerally hate literally everything about the place.

Blistex posted:

You could do that, and literally never get caught because. . . Chinese police.

does that not change when the criminal is a foreigner? i'd have thought if anything is gonna galvanize them into action, it'd be that.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Old style Korean houses are fine for winter, I imagine the same is true for northern China and... pretty much everywhere with cold winters. People aren't idiots about climate when they have thousands of years to come up with solutions. I went to the Jeonju traditional village during winter and went in a house with the underfloor heating lit, can attest it works great.

It just got messed up in the transition to modernity.

also that bus story actually makes me mad. there comes a point not recklessly endangering a bunch of 5 year olds should be more important than how much face you save even for the most self absorbed old man

Koramei fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 6, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
probably misconstrued what you were thinking but I was responding to this bit:

Blistex posted:

I was immensely surprised that Northern China and the northern part of Korea didn't build their buildings to take into account winter.

They did, at one point. It just got hosed up like so many other things when the places were modernizing.

I gotta say I sorta get the impression hosed up building standards like that are universal in developing countries. In Kazakhstan I've been in a yurt and soviet era buildings and the same holds true, the yurt in a style people have been living in for thousands of years was comfy as hell and the soviet ones are miserable.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
One of the comments on that link says it's just the process of recycling plastic and turning it into pellets, which sounds pretty plausible to me.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
yoo jae suk is cool & good

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
My Korean friends always tell me it's just a thing for teenagers, but then they get disappointed if nobody got them any

Grand Fromage posted:

I think something absurd like 40%+ of Lotte's Pepero sales are Pepero Day related.

i think this is because pepero (like pocky) is awful and without a dedicated holiday would fade into obscurity as some trash tier candy nobody cares about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

http://eng.kist.re.kr/kist_eng/?sub_num=423&state=view&idx=91

:wtc:

• Locked thread