Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This could use a better thread title

Edit: China.jpg - 河蟹社会!

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 18, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I google 'chinese for monitored by CCP' and it gave me this article:

quote:

Chinese government monitoring online activities (including wechat and other social network IMs) is using key words. The government periodically update their sensitive words list, adding and removing sensitive words based on current trend and political environment changes. Chinese neitizens are very creative with their nick names and other "replacement words" for example "猫头鹰" (owl) usually refer to Jiang ze min's wife, while Jiang ze min himself is referred to as "蛤蟆" (toad). The CCP tagline 和谐社会 (harmonious society) was replaced with "河蟹社会" (river crab society) to avoid key word search.

https://www.quora.com/Does-the-Chinese-government-monitor-chats-on-Wechat

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I double checked it against Wikipedia

(lol)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
We literally had one guy come in and say he was trolling the thread by calling everyone racists, while accidentally being the only one saying racist poo poo, and saying it was very fun and funny. I don't know why you guys take them seriously. Also...

MODERN CHINESE ART:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
NSFW water heater commercial from Taiwan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mhdI4oGV7I

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Ceciltron posted:

I hope one day I can work in Good China AKA Taiwan or Hong Kong

In the last thread, people were saying that Taiwan is the current sweet spot for quality of life and work-to-pay ratio, despite (specifically) Taipei getting expensive.

JIANBING (MONEY SHOT REEL):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQxYkj191mk

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

JaucheCharly posted:

It's actually not so bad if you put all the notorious shits on ignore.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What's stopping me from making a separate Tibet thread?

Nothing, but China's never letting Tibet go. Why not post it here?

Edit:

quote:

Located at a high altitude on an average of 4,500 meters, it is richly endowed with fresh water contained in its oxygen deprived vast glaciers and huge underground reservoirs.

It is in fact the largest repository of freshwater after the two poles, Arctic and Antarctic, thus claiming the sobriquet, the “third pole.” Many of the world’s greatest rivers flow out of the Tibetan Plateau — the Yellow River, Yangtze Kiang, Mekong, Salween, Sutlej and the Brahmaputra.

More important, in terms of human geography, almost half of the global population currently lives in the watershed of the Tibetan Plateau. This explains the enormous importance of Tibetan freshwater for China.

China, on the whole, is an extremely arid country. One quarter of the country consists of deserts.

China has severe water shortage challenges. At the same time, most of its rivers are either too polluted or are too silted to quench the thirst of 1.3 billion people.
http://www.theglobalist.com/tibet-and-21st-century-water-wars/

China is 20% of the world's population, only has 7% of the world's renewable fresh water. It's neeever letting go of Tibet.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 19, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Banana Man posted:

Who would win between India and China in a war for dwindling water supplies

By the time India'd go to war over water, they'd probably be too messed up by climate change to beat China. Plus, they'd probably have gone to war with Pakistan over Kashmir's water already. That's my guess.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Also, I'd loving love to visit Tibet.

TIBET:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
On the subject of food safety...

Article: 1,000 Tons of Tainted Meat Seized in South China Including Some ‘Soaked in Bleach’
From: Time
Date: September 19, 2016

quote:

Police in China’s southern province of Guangdong have seized $12.3 million of potentially hazardous frozen meat including some reportedly soaked in bleach.

Sixteen suspects were detained in the raid late last week, say local police, who uncovered 1,000 tons meat and offal — chiefly from the U.S., Brazil and Thailand — on a vessel near Dangan Island by the city of Shenzhen.

Police said some of the haul — including beef cuts, tripe, tongue and chicken wings — had been soaked in bleach in order to clean the meat and increase its weight. A kilogram of beef weighs more than 1.5 kg after soaking in highly toxic bleach, said police, warning that the doctored meat would have “seriously harmed people’s health.”

Food safety now consistently ranks as a top concern for most Chinese, with exasperated netizens calling for tough punishments after this latest scandal, and asking why standards were not being implemented.

“Could we just execute these offenders?” asked one user of China’s Twitter-like microblog Weibo.

“I’ve become numb after so many food-safety issues,” posted another. “As long as I don’t die of poisoning, I don’t care any more. But I just don’t understand, how difficult is it to implement the rule of law?”

:cop:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Haier posted:

Did u know Tibet used to eat dead ppl? That's one reason China had to take back Tibet. We had to give them education.*

*Actual reason a Chinese person told me why China needs to hold onto Tibet forever.

Haha, that's quite the dramatization of Sky Burials, I assume.

Also, how's phone service in China? For a little China-India cross posting, I'm betting they just got one-upped:

quote:

... India's biggest industrial house has launched its 4G LTE network and is offering unlimited free voice calls forever to anyone who signs up for its services. It is also claiming to offer the cheapest 4G LTE data rates in the world.

Jio's network is being touted as the largest 4G LTE deployment anywhere in the world, Ambani said, adding that the network is also "future proof" with baked in support for upcoming 5G and 6G network technologies. Jio's 4G coverage is available in 18,000 cities in the country, and over 200,000 remote areas. The company aims to extend the coverage to 90 percent of India's population by next year.

“India and Indians cannot afford to be left behind,” Ambani said. "The era of paying for voice calls is ending,” he added.

The world's second most populous nation, India, already has some of the cheapest voice calling plans but data remains expensive for most subscribers. With poor wired internet infrastructure, a smartphone is mostly where many Indians experience the internet for the first time. Jio is offering the country’s 1.3 billion people free voice calls and data tariffs starting at 1GB of data at Rs 50 (75 cents).

This move to make voice calls free would be a big blow for three of India's biggest carriers — Airtel, Vodafone and Idea, which still make most of their revenues from voice calls. Voice calls on Airtel, for instance, still account for nearly two-thirds of its mobile revenues. While Airtel projects its share of data revenues will increase, Jio's offer to give free voice calls will nevertheless be a big blow. While Ambani was announcing Jio's plans in Mumbai today, Airtel's stock was down by as much as 9%. Airtel has more than 200 million subscribers in India and is the country's largest carrier.

Reliance Jio is also betting big on content. It is offering users a range of services including messaging, mobile wallet, security suite, magazine newsstand, music streaming, on-demand movies and TV shows, cloud storage, live TV access, and a news app. The company says that it plans to offer these services under a subscription of Rs 15,000 ($225). But as another introductory offer, Jio users will get these services for free until the end of next year.

http://mashable.com/2016/09/01/reliance-jio-launch-tariff-plans-india/

And how's smartphone penetration in China?

Edit: I just realized this is better than my plan

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 19, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
North Korea's internet only has 28 websites on their DNS.

quote:

On Sept 20, 2016 at approximately 10:00PM, one of North Korea's top level nameservers was accidentally configured to allow global DNS zone tranfers. This allows anyone who performs an AXFR (zone transfer) request to the country's ns2.kptc.kp nameserver can get a copy of the nation's top level DNS data. This was detected by the TL;DR Project - an effort to attempt zone transfers against all top level domain (TLD) nameservers every two hours and keep a running Github repo with the resulting data. This data gives us a better picture of North Korea's domains and top level DNS.

https://github.com/mandatoryprogrammer/NorthKoreaDNSLeak

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Review of McDonalds in Hong Kong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDcmuQXjFF0

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

max4me posted:

thats impressive how do you do that?

Yogic levitation.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

The Great Autismo! posted:

im the dude at 2:06 who watches his friend get blasted and then kinda shrugs and crosses the road slowly

Yeah, what was that guy doing? He's definitely dead.

Edit:

The Great Autismo! posted:

really tho the main problem is that a lot of people on bikes dont' think that the stoplights apply to them. my best friend in tianjin is a tianjin born canadian dude, he has lived in montreal for 11 years off and on, and he has an ebike and when we are going to places he NEVER follows the lights, he told me specifically no one thinks they are for bikes. on my way to work every day the cars do a decent job of stopping at lights, but they usually fill up intersections first and then clog the intersection and the light changes so they can't run the light, but bikes never stop. ever. they just constantly are going both ways which really fucks up the flow of traffic. most of the people getting slammed in that video are on bikes. eeeesh.

I've had this problem in the PNW a little bit. If I were in China, I'd do my best to avoid driving. Bicyclists freak me out now.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 26, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Driving culture gets weird. When I was in Naples, Italy, it was the worst driving I've ever seen. It was like if you so much as made eye-contact with another driver, it was a sign of weakness and you were getting cut-off or not let in. Like, my sister was stopped at a stop light once. This got her rear ended. The other driver said he kept thinking she was going to accelerate any second now right up until the crash. It's like bumper cars except every hit costs you money so you try to avoid but, fundamentally, it's still bumper cars logic. It's just weaving in and out and around all the time, nothing else.

At 14:17, both drivers were probably thinking, "I don't stop. They stop," right up until the end.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
SUB-DIVIDED FLATS, HONG KONG:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Hong Kong's population is ~7,200,000 and, according to wiki, ~250,000 people live in flats of that type. An article from 2013 puts average rent at ~HK$3,800/mo., or, ~USD$500/mo.

quote:

Fully 45% of Hong Kong’s middle-class couples have abandoned the idea of having a child anytime soon, according to a new survey, with the city’s high cost of living turning them off parenthood.

According to research commissioned by Citibank, nearly half of married respondents said the statement “Because having a kid is too expensive, my spouse and I have decided against having one/having another” “quite” or “totally” described their situation. [...] The survey polled 1,000 adults in April aged 30-40 with monthly income between 20,000 and 50,000 Hong Kong dollars (US$2,580-US$6,450).

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2013/08/12/hong-kongs-high-cost-of-living-deters-would-be-parents/

ALTERNATE ANGLE, HONG KONG:

http://i.imgur.com/IqIR1C3.gifv

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Oh no these people think i'm good at math whatever will i doooooo :qq:

Hey now, positive stereotypes suck, too. What if you're bad at math? It's made worse. What if you're good at math because you worked hard? No appreciation.

Haier posted:

TCM actually has a face reading category and for noses on men it directly correlates nose to penis size.

What about crooked noses? And I wonder how much that has to do with the dick size stereotypes.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Let's see how it works out this time.

You go about it like you think it's just an effective trolling technique.

http://i.imgur.com/5LUayvx.mp4

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Are tongue scrapers actually common in India/Pakistan? That story made me wonder if there's anything I fail to do which would gross people out and man, tongue scrapers work. That's what I thought of. I used one for a little while and my tongue never looked healthier and cleaner before or since.

Also helps with breath!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Past a certain point, that has to be incredibly counter productive. The brain generates the mind and the brain is made out of meat. Health is important.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Any strong opinions on destinations for food-oriented solo-travel, w/good transit?

Details: One week, generic large white male, not a bar goer, irrationally fond of dumplings and ramen. Mid/late '17 window.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Re: 'food-oriented, solo-travel'

How's Seoul?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

ladron posted:

Satisfied?

Yes, very.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdhSuJ47Zqw

not all is bad as saying about North Korea in American newspapers. I see cozy quiet city, without huge traffic, delicious street food

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Ceciltron posted:

I like the part where dudes are executed by AA gun and it is broadcast on TV and the Glorious Leader, Fatherly Leader, and Great Leader are separate people

I like the two seaweed-rice rolls costing 2500 North Korean Won. That's $2.78, or, ~0.5% of North Korea's $538 per capita GDP.

Our per capita GDP's $53,041.98, so that's like dropping $275 on a couple seaweed-rice rolls.

Pictured below: Nearly $300 in kimbap

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

MetaJew posted:

Was that a marked up price for a foreigner? It did sound pretty expensive.

Not sure.

My guess would be that the exchange rate's artificial so it looks larger from the outside.

Also, I'd bet price structures and access-to-income are very different depending on if you're enough of an elite to live in the capital and be part of the formal economy or if you're hoi polloi and primarily living off aid, hunter/gathering and/or the black market/informal economy.

Edit: Just rewatched it. It's 2,500 for one, so he pays 5000 for two, and the soldier's looking at them a little like what the hell? Probably is marked up.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 29, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I can't tell which direction you're trying to go there

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

THE PWNER posted:

That was a very sarcastic way of expressing the ideas that anyone who believes Facebook memes about North Korea/has any trust in GDP as a meaningful metric is really dumb

Good thing I didn't do either then?

Also:

Article: 60 per cent of China’s richest people plan to invest abroad and emigrate in next three years, says survey
From: South China Morning Post
Date: October 28, 2016

quote:

More than 60 per cent of China’s richest people plan to invest in properties abroad in the next three years, with three American cities – Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle – topping their list of destinations, a report shows.

Many of the nation’s wealthiest residents were looking to invest their money in foreign properties and live abroad in response to the fall in the value of the Chinese yuan and an overheated domestic property market.

The survey was compiled following conversations with 240 wealthy people with average net assets of 27 million yuan between August to October. These people have either emigrated or are planning to do so.

If Seattle gets the Vancouver treatment it might finally push out techies

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yeah but I live near Seattle

It's not a problem if it's only a problem for other people

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

ladron posted:

the best korean (foreigner) expat blog closed a few years ago, but this one is ok (a korean expat America explains poo poo)

http://askakorean.blogspot.kr/2016/10/the-irrational-downfall-of-park-geun-hye.html

I like the theory that when she was missing for seven hours during the ferry disaster, she was actually attending a shamanistic ritual, a ritual for which the ferry was deliberately sunk as human sacrifice

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t487ILVf87k

It's mostly about reduced labor migrations and increased labor costs.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Haier posted:

Manchu Prince Gong, AKA Yixin, in 1872.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Gong

"Robes are mega comfortable. Should've never gone out of style."

edit: :goonsay:

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 31, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Haha:

quote:

China on Tuesday rejected a plan by U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump to back out of a global climate change pact, saying a wise political leader should make policy in line with global trends, a rare comment on a foreign election.

"If they resist this trend, I don't think they'll win the support of their people, and their country's economic and social progress will also be affected," Xie Zhenhua said.

"I believe a wise political leader should take policy stances that conform with global trends," China's veteran climate chief said.

Trump has threatened to reject the Paris Agreement, a global accord negotiated by nearly 200 governments to battle climate change that takes effect on Friday.

Chinese officials are often hesitant to weigh in on foreign elections, although they will defend Chinese policies when attacked in candidates' policy platforms.

Xie's comments come as China plans to launch a national carbon trading scheme in 2017.

The scheme is on track and pilot programs have already traded 120 million carbon allowances with total transactions amounting to 3.2 billion yuan ($472.29 million), he added.

"It will take time for the market to be fully operational, but once it's operational, it'll be the largest carbon trading market in the world," said Xie.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-climatechange-china-idUSKBN12W349

  • Locked thread