Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

China shills keeping the plunge man down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I do not like it when people are mean to animals. I hate all peoples from countries that are mean to animals.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

To be fair, Chinese girls don't do much

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Christ you are so closeted.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Accretionist posted:

Haha, that's quite the dramatization of Sky Burials, I assume.

Also, how's phone service in China? For a little China-India cross posting, I'm betting they just got one-upped:

http://mashable.com/2016/09/01/reliance-jio-launch-tariff-plans-india/

And how's smartphone penetration in China?

Edit: I just realized this is better than my plan

This plan is way better than my plan, and I live in the SF bay area

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Pump it full of nitrogen anywa

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I am going to enlist in the Chinese navy, any tips?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

A navy who sails only in blue waters.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I'm going to try to make this short.

Context: I am a foreign student in China. I've been here for more than a month and everything is going fine. (Except for one thing) I'm staying here for a year and I'm staying in a host family and going to a chinese school.

So everything's going well, except for my host brother. While all the other chinese people here are very kind and just all around top, he is being kind of a douche.

He is kind and I know he has no bad intentions but I think he is quite jealous of all the attention I get. He is younger than me but acts like hes older and is quite bossy. I know some of that is because of cultural differences and because communication is very bad (His english is very bad and my chinese is even worse) but the greatest part is because of his jealousy.

But thats not the biggest problem. I have 0 privacy with him. I know its cultural but this is really getting creepy. He spies on everything. He asks what I do, what I will do. But also to who I talk, how much money I have,... This is the ok part. Its the part I'm willing to accept as cultural integration.

But it gets worse. He says everything I do to his friends. To who I talk and what I post on social media. He has a conversation group on WeChat (the local FB) with his friends where he discusses everything I do. I play guitar and sing. The next day, all his friends had a recording of it on their phones. I had to do a medical examination. I am underweight and I'm a bit ashamed of it but usually, I laugh about it. He actually remembered to the decimal my BMI and now the whole schools knows it.

It goes on like that and I cant confront him on it because communication is so bad. Everytime I talk about sensitive subjects he acts like he doesn't understand or really doesn't understand. Its really starting to ruin my experience but I dont want to change families because I have really great friends here and I dont want to lose them.

tl;dr : My chinese host brother has a spy club and he reports on everything I do.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Darkman Fanpage posted:

source your quote fucker

https://m.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/55zb1h/i_18m_foreign_student_in_china_dont_know_how_to/

Late teens. drat teens.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Aww, you sound like a really cute couple!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The Great Autismo! posted:

it's time for TGA's "Hey, We're Moving Offices in China! lol!"

part one
part two

the foreigners had to work yesterday, so we all showed up outside the new office. the building isn't really open yet, so we kinda had to go through a roped off construction zone to get to the front door. a police officer was very nice and showed me the way. i know people from my company have been going there because while all the foreigners had a holiday, the marketing staff has been uploading pictures of themselves wearing masks and painting the walls in the new building.

quickly off topic: i really hate the divide of foreigners and locals in my office. they give us all more holiday time, we work 5 days a week for 40 hours, while every chinese person has to work 6 days a week for 54 hours. it just seems like such an easy way to develop bad feelings. in our new office there are two rooms, one is for "foreign teachers" and one is for "chinese teachers", and i said "can't we just put all the teachers together" and the girl said "of course not". uh, ok.

anyway, we took the elevator to our floor, i guess last time the elevator wouldn't go to our new floor. this time it did. one of our employees was encouraged by that. when we arrived, this is what it looked like.

which isn't nearly as bad as it looked in the first picture about 10 days ago. the girl from chicago that works with us was really impressed with how much they've done, and i guess i would be too, but i've seen entire infrastructures for subways go up and running in like under two years, like entire subway lines with 20 plus stops. go near washington dc and they will be doing construction on 495 for the next decade and nothing will ever seem to change. china changes overnight. that's cool and good, IMO.

i did walk around the office, we have only bought half the floor, the other half of the floor looks like this.

so i ended up talking with the girl from HR for a bit, and she said everyone had to work. but since our computers aren't set up yet, and we have no internet, we can't really work right now. so i gave the foreign staff the day to go "work from home", meaning if they have stuff to do, please go get it done. this really isn't allowed in china, like there is this distinct idea at work where if you are at work, you are therefore working. so if you are not at work, you can't be paid for work. as in i've talked to people numerous times who are at work, sleeping or playing video games, and they are like "well today i had to work" and i'll say "what did you do at work" and they'll respond with "nothing, i had a rest". so the entire chinese staff stayed there and chatted and all the foreigners kinda bobbed in and out. i went to go work out.

i could have kissed the HR girl i was so happy, on my way out she came to me and said "i need help translating all of this" and it was all of the english they were going to put all over the office. "admissions", "marketing", "finance", and our previous chinglish all over the wall. she said "we don't want to make any english mistakes this time". i could have cried. i was like "omg its happening...things...are...changing." i told my boss when i signed for another six months that my wife, son and i would be out the door in june, but this office is amazing and they are like...changing the way they are doing things? a little? maybe just a tiny bit? it's so encouraging. i started working for this company in madison, wisconsin, we had a one room office in capitol square that we could barely afford, then i moved to china and we had the most disgusting office ever. then we moved again, now we are here. i was all emotionally ready to leave china but this is so good, it's like "....dammit." it would have been easy if it looked horrible, but this new building is boss. guess we'll see how work keeps going in the future.

here's a few more bonus shots of the city, from an employee who left two days ago. this was the view he had from the 50th floor of his building. some pretty nice shots of tianjin.

unbelievably, this guy hated his life here and hated china, which i don't really know how you can hate china when you have this view. look at what humans have created. amazing.

all of these pictures were taken not just of the same city, but at the same time on the same day. the second picture looks super polluted. that's southern tianjin, maybe the lack of big buildings makes the pollution more visible. i dunno.

lastly, my mom emailed me a few days ago, she was looking through an old copy of the new york times from like a month ago, and found this article and said "i think the girl looks like your ex gf, is it?" and i was like "wow it kinda does look like her" so i went to my ex's Facebook page and she had all of these behind the scenes photos tagged of her at this event, she is modelling in paris now. and i'm still in tianjin. like she's moved to paris and speaks french fluently and is now on the front page of the fashion and style section of the new york times modelling...and i'm shitposting on a comedy forum in the same city i was in six years ago. poo poo.

anyway those are my china stories from the past few days, thanks for reading, china is cool and good. that's all.

might as well apply for citizenship, you are staying

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

http://i.imgur.com/58OUvmE.gifv

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I would bang the chinese if I was in china.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Please post more about loving

Send al the dick pics

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Let's go to north corea

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

She is married

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Race realism only here. Asians suck at math, unless they work at it.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Ching chong. Ping pong

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Chinese people make good sushi

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

just use the nukes

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i hope that person isnt dead

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Background info: I'm Chinese, and my parents immigrated here before I was born. My parents uphold very traditional views.

I have no doubt that my parents love me, but it is very visible that my brother is the 'golden child'. Even when we were young, my brother would bully me. My parents just chalked it up to my brother just playing, but my brother would kick, punch, slap me as he wanted. I still have a few scars from it. If I ever retaliated, my brother would hit me two times as hard, and my parents would tell me off.

Whenever he'd do something wrong to me, my parents would just tell me to forgive him, since he is young and doesn't know any better. They have been saying that every single year, and he's 18 now. He should know better. I don't really have a relationship with my brother any more. I'm sick of always doing my best to take care of him, and ensure the best for him, and to have my brother not caring or acknowledging anything I do fror him.

He's 18, in his first year of college. I'm 19 in my fourth year of college. My parents always favour him, and give him whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and demands me do the same for him. My parents always take my brother's side, no matter what. My brother is very lazy, spoiled and entitled due to his upbringing.

An example would be when my brother and I started playing badminton. My parents enrolled us in class training. I fell in love with the sport, but my parents stopped putting me in the class since my father said "I have no future and no potential and just am a waste of money", while my brother (not any better than me) was being enrolled in private training, tournaments, etc.

I know my parents are very generous and kind to me, as they pay for my tuition, but it seems unfair when my brother's tuition, rent, books, food are all being paid, along with $15k allowance they give him each year. I have worked my butt off since I was 15, and I have had 8 jobs already. My brother has never worked a single day in his life. My brother is in first year, and currently lives in a luxury apartment to his own all paid for by my parents, while I share a room with another person in a run down home. There are many more instances.

I know I am very lucky to be in my position compared to many others, and I don't want to seem like an entitled brat. However due to how my parents' have raised my brother and I, I have built up a lot of resentment. I've always been treated as less than him. I confronted my parents about it. They didn't see anything wrong, and told me that he is my younger brother, and since I am oldest, I should be doing everything for my family. I'm sick of this. I don't resent my brother, since I know it is not his fault he is this way, but I don't love him either.

I am living away for university, and return home for holidays and summer break. I have a good job ($80k) and money saved. Should I just move out and go low contact? I still feel attachment to my family, since they are the ones who raised me, and I still love them. But I can't stand being treated lesser than my brother because I am older/a female. It's also very clear that they love him more than me.

I still feel very hurt about it. Ever since I was young, I would do anything I could to gain my parents' attention and love, but anything I did was never enough. I'm 19, graduating a 4 year college and have an $80k job. My parents don't care, and think that my brother getting a 60-70 in his first year classes deserves a celebration. I want them to apologize to me, and acknowledge the way that they have treated me compared to my brother is wrong, and a very outdated concept. I don't know if they will ever truly acknowledge it, but I don't know how I can stand being in this family, being treated like that.

tl;dr: 19F, Chinese. Resent my parents for the way they treated me compared to my brother, "the golden child". Should I go low contact and hope for them to acknowledge their wrongdoing?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Tupperwarez posted:

C'mon man, at least link to the reddit thread so we can look for terrible replies.

Edit: Also, it's almost a sure thing that her parents expect her to be their retirement plan, if they aren't tapping her for cash every month already.

If you insist~

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/5fuk1g/my_19f_parents_52f_60m_have_always_favoured_my/?st=iw5yo28r&sh=7e96ec6d

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

those bikers are very upset about china

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

At least you are talking to your parents again

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Do the chinese wear shoes indoors?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Cannot get over those brows

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Jose posted:

lmao i love haier's stories

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pig park

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Haier posted:

"Hey, how was your Saturday?"
"Same poo poo, different day."
"SSDD? I hear you..."

congratulations!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

poppy seed extract

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Drink the rear end coffee

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Sheep-Goats posted:

Asian Nazi parades are funny and they're meant to be funny IMHO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFTp83TUz4I

This is great!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

What happens when you call that number?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Haier posted:

Something I got into as a kid. I'm one of the ones that thinks it tastes amazing. I don't do it often, but sometimes I really want a swig of that creamy goodness. Full cream is gross, but somehow half and half hits the spot.

Yes, I mean dairy.

Now this is just unreasonable.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Modest Mao posted:

Also some parent stole my umbrella when I was teaching. I came down from the classroom when parents were picking kids up and it was gone and it was the usual Taipei downpoor outside and I walk to work. I asked the principle, who was in the room, in front of all the parents

"Have you seen my umbrella?"
"What did it look like?"
"It was plaid"
"Oh then no, I haven't"
"Do you know what plaid means?"
".....no"

I got fired like a week later on Taiwan's labor day lmao

Lol, vicious

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Does anyone know what those things on the plate are?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

White girls are easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Please do not hurt yourself in china, imagine having surgery!

• Locked thread