Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Indy posted:

“We want to come up with some slogan like, ‘Cute girls don’t date dog eaters,'” she said, adding that most afficionados in Yulin are men, who believe the meat increases virility.

Again with the virility. How come everything is a dong medicine in china?

60-80 cigarettes a day will wreak havoc on your sexual potency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Haier posted:

I do! I had one of those goofballs in my bed last week:

Me - "I will wear a condom, no arguing this."
Her - "Fool, I know my ovulation dates. I won't get pregnant. Don't worry."
Me - "It's not that..."
Her - "I have no disease. How could you think that?"
Me - "LOL. Condom is happening or you go home now."
Her - "Okay, fine."

Yeah, I'ma trust some chick I've known a few weeks on how well she knows her ovulation schedule and go unsheathed into that mangrove.
She really liked using the word "Fool," too. I don't know where she picked it up, but it sounded really weird.

That's pretty rich coming from a guy who says "LOL" in real life

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jesus Christ. I guess your HR manager was right to say there wasn't anything offensive hanging off the walls.

I'm the singular giant brick just hanging out in the left of the picture.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Who needs a toilet when you're already in the woods? That sounds very wasteful.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wow, he just had a vague idea of "present weapon, receive money" and ran with it with not even a second's worth of further thought. He didn't factor in that there might be resistance, or armed guards, or any kind of inconvenience. Even when he's there, he's so completely void of all independent thought and reason that he picks up his phone immediately to just chat about some other poo poo while he's robbing the bank. "Phone ring... so pick it up yes?? What means 'wait until better time'? This very confuse"

So I'm assuming this guy's been awarded some kind of medal for being a paragon of Chinese 5000 year culture and mentality?

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Great Autismo! posted:

everyone assumes i am literally incapable of anything simply because I'm a foreigner.

How are you able to stay in this country? This would infuriate me beyond measure, especially when surrounded by people so ineffectual and lazy. Do the Chinese not have any concept of self-criticahh who am I kidding we know they don't.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grand Fromage posted:

It's an honest question there are cultural ideas that don't really translate to other cultures. Pettiness, being the bigger person, finding the thrower of a poo poo fit pathetic, these are all things that China doesn't seem to have and I don't know if it's just a completely foreign idea or what.

I dunno, I've been to all sorts of places all over the world, and I've only ever heard of this kind of behavior - that is, acting like a huge baby, which is what you're describing - being regarded as normal and acceptable in China and Korea.

Obviously, there are huge cultural differences all over the world. In many parts of Africa, for instance, while people have a great deal of warmth in regards to their family, their friends and their tribe/local community, it's not regarded as strange or a bad character trait to view people of lesser social status with contempt. Westerners, Americans in particular, appear incredibly self-centered to most cultures in the world. Russians have a sense of fatalism that is offputting to most other people. Germans despise the concept of humor, fun, or merriment. Every culture has its quirks, but nowhere in the world have I ever seen the total lack of emotional maturity and connection to the real world that people describe in China.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I don't know how stereotypically Chinese it is to murder 19 people, but killing seventeen people to frantically cover up after killing two does seem symptomatic of the pisspoor planning we've come to.know and love the Middle Kingdom for.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

McGavin posted:

I don't know because it has never happened.

"Haha, check out this dumb rear end in a top hat. Every day we go out for lunch, I pay his bill and he does nothing! What. A. SUCKER!"
-a Chinese person, feeling smug.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fish and chips and dip posted:

According to Chinese media, BDSM is now a psychological condition.

Broke clock.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Sex in China is like 'Lie back and think of Nanjing"

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Haier posted:

Hottest Female English Names by way of Wechat and Tantan - Shenzhen Edition:

1. Vivi (Winner by far. More Vivis than any other name.)
2. Angel/Angela/Angle (Very few people spell it correctly. Angle is most common)
3. Yuki (For a country that hates the Japanese, there are tons of Yukis)
4. CoCo (No idea why this is so popular, but this is hot right now)
5. Amy (Because it's easy and was in the first few names on the list they looked at)
6. Something with "baby" because of that plastic Kardashian wannabe Angelababy.

Runner up: Shirley/Shirly

I am curious to see what the male names are, but I am not wasting swipes just to check it out.

Vivi and Coco are probably because they fit into the Chinese tradition of pet names consisting of the same syllable twice.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

What'd he expect? He's making it look like she didn't realize she was about to get hit by a moped. Is he trying to make her lose face or is he just too loving keqi for his own good?

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Qing se eyes signify strong yang. You are girly man. Do you know?

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I meant yin, better go edi- gently caress YOU ALREADY QUOTED ME

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grand Fromage posted:

My apartment is as sealed up as I can get it and I have a couple air filters that run 24/7. I have never gotten a monitor but there's a noticeable difference in smell/black crud in your nose between indoors and out, so it seems to be working fine. For outside I have one of these:

Which is good but more of a couldn't hurt thing, because at work it is impossible to convince Chinese people to close the windows or to get air filters for the building so you're breathing poo poo all day there.

E: Also I live in Chengdu. Pollution here is bad by the standards of like a real country but for China it isn't that severe. It's not one of those places that pegs the meter at 999 for months. The pollution is mostly during winter and like everyone else, I'll be out of the country for a month of that so that also helps.

I would wear this thing constantly if I had to go to China for some reason, even as I slept

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I didn't mean "that exact mask, the one right there in the photo," but rather "masks similar to that one, consecutively." I'm a huge prick

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol you are a foreigner in China, people can do literally whatever they want to you and if you ever complain or fight back or go to the police, you will face espionage charges or get deported for some other bullshit reason. You're hosed.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You joke, but looking at other things Confucius has said/written, that's probably exactly what he meant by it.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Boiled Water posted:

We need a new golden age of privateering. 100 USD for each chinese flag off a sunken fisherman.

I'm pretty sure if you went to a Japanese fishing town with a bunch of Chinese flags nabbed off boats you've sunk they'd find some way to reward you

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The eating noises I don't really mind, but what gets to me is 1) the lack of personal space and 2) the loving constant yelling. You start a conversation with someone using your best, politest inside voiciest "hello" or "knee how" and the next second you got a pimply neckbeard/goonette with food still in their mouth and a giant booger sticking out their nostril stepping up to you until they're half a foot away from your face and just screaming like there's a loving hurricane going on. Bonus points if they forget halfway through that you don't speak Chinese and just start yelling Mandarin phrases at you, even after you've reminded them you don't speak Chinese AND they themselves started off speaking English to you. You can't ask them to quiet down, either, because then they'd lose face if they did and HAVE TO YELL EVEN LOUDERRRRR AT THE STUPID FOREIGNERRRRRR.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah it's true, Chinese don't really say much so it comes as an even bigger surprise when they stand close enough for you to feel their breath before screaming NEE HWEE SHWARR JONGWEN MAAAAAA in your loving ear

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:trumppop:

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hey, speaking of loud as gently caress people who will never shut up...

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grand Fromage posted:

I've been told by Chinese people that they speak so loudly because the tones and there are so many homophones it can be hard to understand someone if they aren't screaming.

Then you go to Hong Kong or Taiwan and realize they're full of poo poo.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Old chinese ladies answering their phones is louder than a loving bomb going off inside a jet engine. I'd be annoyed if I wasn't so awe-struck at the fortitude of their vocal cords.

plain blue jacket posted:

I went to the British museum on Tuesday and it turns out Chinese people really like ignoring barriers and "do not manhandle the 3000 year old relic" signs

Don't get me loving started. Last time I was there there was a loving Chinese school on a trip, bunch of 10-12-year-old Chinese kids with loving snot all over their faces and hands grabbing and stroking and punching(wtf?) ancient Egyptian sculptures. An employee tried to get the teacher to stop them, but of course she pretended not to speak English.

KomodoWagon fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 13, 2016

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grand Fromage posted:

Worse than the bus is the elevator since the call cuts out, being that it's an elevator, and then it's just screaming WEI?! over and over for the entire ride at ear-splitting volume.

Then some other jackass tries to open the doors midway through the ride because no why, the elevator stops and it's 5,000 years of WEI?!

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Nah they have a pretty solid line of succession so it's gonna be all harmony and extremely colorful parties probably. Also the new king's name is Vagina Longcorn.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hemophilia posted:

Isn't the current heir an astounding buffoon whose reign is likely to result in the military ending the monarchy

Not sure about that, but then again I'm not hugely invested in Thai affairs. As far as I understand it, any threat to the monarchy is seen as a satanic act of treason, not unlike Lucifer's rebellion against God.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's kind of a two-way street. Ordinary Thais love the monarchy like the Norks love Kim Jong, and the military use this love and their connection to the monarchy to legitimize their own power.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Smashing story, lad

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

beast

Bro Dad posted:

Fanatical royalism was created by the king after the military was sent in to massacre a bunch of students in the sixties, so anyone with ideas simply became anti-royalist. The monarchy straight up controls the judiciary and has a lot of influence over the military so they tend to work hand in hand.

Meanwhile the new king is an actual serial rapist who raped so many women he got HIV from it. He made his dog an air force officer and gave it a state funeral. Everyone in Thailand hates this guy and he was one of the reasons the military overthrew the government in the first place. Not because of his hosed up syphilitic brains, but because he is in a shitload of debt to thaksin shinawatra, thailand's richest man, former president, and military enemy number one.

Basically the military overthrew the government (led by thaksin's wife as the military exiled him) because the king's health was turning for the worse, and without him they're worried about getting purged by the STD king

Hahaha, holy poo poo I wish I'd paid more attention to Thai politics now

e: just a few pictures of the new glorious king of Thailand, successor to beautiful divine monarchy

Glorious new king with divine father Rama IX

Very suave and relaxed, such savvy

KomodoWagon fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 13, 2016

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
For real though, the look on his wife's face is pretty jarring. I haven't looked at the cake-eating video yet and I'm not sure I feel like seeing that, ever. Lol the kid's gonna look like a loving freak when he grows up though

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Pretty solid logic. The Japanese are bad, so they must have... bad penises right? Not necessarily small or crooked or anything specific, just... bad. Bad penises.

edit: the WORST penises.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nerdz posted:

It's pretty low in my list of countries that I'd like to visit. Thai food is good but doesn't grab me and that's my main motivation to visit places. It's just funny to be patronized like this while being someone who lives in a third world country that moved away from monarchy not that long ago and lived through a military dictatorship. Brazil still hasn't really fully recovered from either. gently caress kings and military juntas. I respect the Thai people and I'm pretty sure they would manage just fine without either just like we did.

Thailand has a lot of extremely beautiful places to visit, both in terms of ancient architecture and art and in terms of nature. The people are unbelievably friendly, the food is amazing (just lol at a Brazilian having an opinion on good food), and everything is cheap. Some of the women have dicks, which is cool. We get that you don't like monarchy. I don't think a lot of goons are die-hard monarchists. Hth.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Mestre da pizza. I rest my goddamn case. Now let's get back to China and Haier's dubious source of income.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Haier posted:

A building collapsed in China. Dad reflexes kicked in and dad grabbed his daughter as poo poo started falling on them. He died in process but protected her and she was recovered from the rubble.
NSFW
http://i.imgur.com/Y9m10Tl.jpg

What's wrong with this man, showing that kind of respect for someone so much younger than himself? Total loss of face. Stupid.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Those trees to the right don't look very Eastern Europe to me.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Great Autismo! posted:

Angel opportunity had been asking me to post it for a few years but I'm unsure what I want to do with it when I'm done so I'm reluctant to post it

Imho you should just keep compiling for as long as you're working in China, then turn it into a book called China Will Rule the World.

Also wire me like 50% of the proceeds for coming up with that title.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:lol: the dude on the far right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Doesn't matter, it's not like agriculture in remote parts of the country are a significant part of the Chinese economy.

• Locked thread