Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Now that's genuinely loving brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I would like to also hear more about this missed opportunity for a threesome.

Haier would be turning in his grave.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
You know, I never put that thought into words before, but you're right.

Japan, Korea and Hong Kong can do the "old and a bit shabby but still obviously well cared for and cool" building, but every older Chinese building I've ever seen just looks like dilapidated crap.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Every single feature on her face is oversized, but by different amounts. Only her ears look normal sized.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
This was in the AUG thread, but it's too horrifying not to share.

cash crab posted:

uncanny valley of the dolls

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Is this her?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'd suggest using the Sea Shepherds, but those fuckwits can barely manage to get out of bed without hurting themselves, let alone a bunch of angry, drunken Chinese fishermen.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
You're fine as long as you come by air. Australia bends over backwards to accomodate people who make it here that way.

It's only if you come here by boat that you get sent to the rape camps.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Vegetable posted:

What the gently caress, how is "Do butterfly wings have colours?" a valid essay question? How do you answer that other than saying just "yes"?

Define colour.

Many insect carapaces are actually white or clear chitin, but have nanostructures which diffract the light striking them giving them a metallic appearance. The may look golden, but they don't actually have any colours in them.

:colbert:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Hah, the old "photoshopped her picture over a model" trick.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

I'm surprised it's taken this long.

All those kickstarter sites are full of great ideas and not a single one seems to have any sort of patent protection. Sure, not that that would stop China, but the level of naivete on display is heartbreaking.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The Great Autismo! posted:

but in reality, its a problem for like seven other foreigners too, so i kinda have to do something because that's my job.

i did ask him to turn his radio down and told him he couldn't smoke there, and he looked at me like :stare: and turned it down a bit and got up and put out his cig. because i'm a foreigner i don't give a poo poo about face, so did he lose it? did he ever have any? i have no idea

You should start carrying a squirt bottle of water like the ones people use to train pets.

Then the next time someone acts like an idiot, just squirt them until they stop.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Speaking of the Philippines - Australian government owned TV station SBS shows news programmes from around the world every day. From Greece, to Russia, to Brazil, to the Philippines.

We often have it on at work, because you get to see what's going on around the world from a local perspective. Everyone calls the Philippine's news, "Filipino Action News" and it's just ridiculous how over the top it is.

I've never seen a news report start with clips of one of the news anchors in military garb shooting guns and another one in martial arts clothes kicking people. The rest of the intro cycles between the female anchors batting their eyes at local celebrities and random things exploding.

It's the most violent news intro in the world. And I can't help but feel it explains something about how Filipinos see the world.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

like he sincerely thinks stalin did nothing wrong

We have one of those who occasionally posts in the AusPol thread and it's just loving tragic. I remember one of his arguments once started - and I poo poo you not, he literally typed this - with "The mere hundreds of thousands who were sent to the gulags..." when justifying Stalin's purges.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

dubzee posted:

It's happening right now.

Unfortunately they are up against the aforementioned societal norms and a men's rights movement that makes makes the reddit fedora-havers look quaint.

Is that design a deliberate decision :laugh:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Technically not illegal! Nothing to see here at all!

quote:

Former trade minister Andrew Robb has been appointed a high-level economic consultant with the Chinese company that operates Darwin port.

The ABC reported it had obtained and translated a statement from the Landbridge Group company, which said Robb had been appointed by the company’s chairman, Ye Cheng, two months ago.

The Landbridge Group won a 99-year lease over the port of Darwin last year in a $506m deal with the Northern Territory government.

At the time Malcolm Turnbull shrugged off concerns expressed by the US about the sale, saying it had been “no secret” that China was looking to invest in Australian infrastructure. The secretary of the Defence department, Dennis Richardson, later admitted it had been a mistake not to inform the US of the sale earlier, but denied it had any negative security implications.

The ABC’s translation of the Landbridge statement from 2 September said “the process of internationalisation of the Landbridge Group and the results achieved had greatly impressed [Robb].

“Working for Landbridge Group was a wonderful and pleasing thing, and that he wanted to jointly write a wonderful new chapter together with Landbridge,” the statement said.

Cheng was quoted in the statement as saying that “it will be necessary [for Landbridge] to draw on experts such as Mr Andrew Robb who have global vision and global influence”.

As trade minister Robb helped secure Australia’s free trade deal with China in 2015.
Former ministers are forbidden from taking personal advantage of confidential information they had access to as a minister and banned from lobbying the government for 18 months after leaving office.

Robb retired at the July federal election, choosing not to recontest his Victorian seat of Goldstein.

On ABC Radio in Melbourne on Monday, foreign minister Julie Bishop rejected the idea Robb might use confidential information in his new post. She noted the federal government had “nothing to do” with the lease of Darwin port.

“There’s a ministerial code of conduct, Andrew Robb has said he’s aware of [it] and will abide by it,” Bishop said.

“That provides constraints and restrictions on what cabinet ministers can do in their post political life, but we shouldn’t get into a situation where a former trade minister is not allowed to take up post-parliamentary careers.”

Stolen from the AusPol thread in D&D. How wonderful it is to live somewhere the politicians are doing everything they can to sell it all off to overseas interests.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It was only a few years ago in Australia that a bunch of people were arrested on slavery charges.

loving slavery charges.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

nickmeister posted:

Can't he just do what the Chinese do in Africa and bring a bunch of desperate Chinese with him to till the land?

Gina Rinehart is certainly trying to legalise just that.

$2 pay a day for all imported labourers who fail the paper bag test :australia:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Didn't someone recently ask about plastic rice?

https://twitter.com/Dakini_Goddess/status/795297813206798336

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

ladron posted:

1000 rupees is like $15, so that must have been one hell of a sack

This is what 1billion dollars looks like - 10 million $100 bills stacked on 12 standard pallets:

Definitely one hell of a sack.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'd like to hear about corrupt starlets.

I have pretty much zero interest in Western stars, but for some reason I'm fascinated by the horrible poo poo that happens with other countries.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
And, of course, G.Na had the whole "caught being a prostitute" thing.

Sadly, I've heard a lot about the dark side of the Korean entertainment industry. It would be nice to think that, somewhere in the world, the realities of the entertainment industry involve more than sexual predation.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Haier posted:

Yes, it's all the same. USA is no different, and it's well-known that child actors/actresses (including Disney) are severely damaged in the process and that's why they grow up all crazy.

Yeah, I remember horrible rumours about some bigwig at Disney Nickelodeon, Dan Schneider (the fat one from Head of the Class), was pretty much getting his rape on with all the underage Disney Nickelodeon stars.

EDIT: wrong company, right creep*.

*allegedly

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 10, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

fish and chips and dip posted:

In Chinese education news:

quote:

Schools also must not be named after foreigners.

Name a school after the president of Taiwan, Tsai Ing-wen, and watch their heads explode.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Grand Fromage posted:

I never stop being amazed that there are places that are connected to the modern world and germ theory has not yet reached.

You know what was famously great in the Middle Ages? Medical care.

Truthfully, it's sad they don't have miasma theory. At least then they'd do something about the air quality.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
At least he was using a sink.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Ceciltron posted:

Reminder that Deceitful Penguin is the guy who literally worships a bunch of dead pagan gods from 1300 years ago, while living on a volcanic rock in the middle of the North Atlantic. He thinks Freedom of Religion is bad because how else will you rage against the christian machine, abloo abloo.

Odin plucked his own eye out for wisdom, I'd pluck my eyes out to avoid reading your posts, DP.

Oh, the Nordic Nazi guy?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Haier posted:

No, but this girl has now stated that this article about a man having sex has made her scared of foreign men. Looks like I lost another one. RIP, Impromptu Girl.

Did you tell her that all you need to do is to not take photos of her?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I worry it's about to declare its undying love for me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just like in the West, then?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
For the past half year, China's butthurt over Korea deploying anti-missile missiles led to them unofficially banning any Korean show, or shows with Koreans in them, unless it was already running.

Now they've apparently stepped up their game and have even banned commercials featuring Koreans in them.

Now if you're in a show already, you're technically allowed to stay. But don't expect airtime. You'll either be edited out or, if they can't get rid of you that way, will blur out your face like an accused criminal.

Psy was edited out of Heroes of Remix in hilariously poor fashion.

In lighter news, China websites block searches for 'Fatty Kim the Third'

quote:

"What I want to stress is that China has always dedicated itself to constructing a rational, cultured and healthy environment for public opinion," Geng told a daily news briefing.

China "does not approve of insulting or ridiculing language to address any country's leader", he added, without elaborating.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Relin posted:

huh how do they handle broadcasts of e-sports with koreans in them

Simple - nobody cares about e-sports.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
All foreigners are tall and have large noses.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Smell like sour milk.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Dicky mouse posted:

Where in Korea to people buy their dildo's?

In one of the early episode of Running Man, a Korean variety show, they had a chase in a large indoor bazaar. All second hand stuff, old VCR tapes, vinyl albums, clothes, etc.

One of the Korean posters in the TVIV thread for the show pointed out that one section of the place they ran through several times, which had large tarps pulled down over all its shelves, was one of the main places in Seoul to buy dildoes.

So you had a bunch of big Korean TV stars and idols running around just arm's length from 20 square metres worth of sex toys.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 21, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

oohhboy posted:

The Chinese teams were especially bad. Badminton is a very fast sport and even an amateur has a pretty good idea what high level play is and would have spotted it let alone professional referees and other players. It's like faking injuries in soccer to get an advantage, it was the equivalent of falling over and crying about being hurt when no one touched you and the entire team is doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMqmKm6vsd0

Because they are Chinese even after being caught and given a warning they continued to tank the game.

Goddamn. I don't know what I was expecting for "deliberately losing at badminton" but it wasn't that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Is it bad of me that I can never take it seriously when I see Asian media pushing those immaculately groomed twinky flower boys as badasses or heroes?

It's like when Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull cast Shia LaBeouf as a hard as nails greaser biker.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 24, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Hating your guts for not getting all up in her guts.

:china:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Koramei posted:

The Korean stance frustrates me more. "If it weren't for An Jung-geun, I'd be speaking in Japanese to you now!"

To which you reply, "Oh, is that the Korean name for General MacArthur?"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'm guessing a Henry VIII style of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
You're saying they all look alike?

• Locked thread