Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ He's going to be found dead of an apparent killing by drug dealers, while the Heads of the Philippines Navy, Army and Air Force give each other knowing sideways glances.

Haier posted:

Me: "What are your hobbies?"
Chinese girl: "TENNIS AND SWIMMING."

This is the point where you should have asked, "What kind of racquet do you have?" and watched her stumble. . . "uhhh, The North Face?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Outrail posted:

On the off chance he wins I kinda figure the same will happen to trump a few months into his presidency.

I think it's more likely that the entire US government re-enacts a "Hellban" while he just listens to his screams bounce off the walls.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Someone was talking about it earlier about how Chinese people make these huge sweeping statements about what "Chinese people" do as though there is a perfect harmony of interests and actions. Mongols do the exact same thing. They all drink a fermented horse milk called aairag, which tastes exactly how you'd expect it to, and whenever I asked people "Do you actually enjoy this?" Mongols would always say "All Mongols love aairag". Then I'd say "But do you enjoy it?" and about half the people would go "Well I don't enjoy it, but everyone else does".

This is a really common thing in countries with a fairly homogeneous population and an ingrained cultural practice of suppressing logic/reason.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

fish and chips and dip posted:

I love that there is a Wiki article on "logic in China" and it opens with

People are usually hesitant or think I'm outright racist when I try and explain how what the rest of the world considers "logic" is almost entirely absent in China. When I explain a scenario or two they will usually reply with "oh, that's just an isolated case" then I break out my phone and show them that exact passage. They read it then look at me with confusion and say, "It can't still be that bad", to which I usually nod sagely.

TsarZiedonis posted:

IIRC, the Korean government made it illegal to tell prospective mothers the sex or their fetuses in ultrasound checks until like super late into the pregnancy. Or something like that.

It is still illegal to tell the sex of a foetus or baby right up until the birth in Korea, but if the ultrasound technician gets the vibe from you that you don't care about the sex, or if they find that you already had a boy they will give you little cues or hints to let you know.

The first time my friend and his wife had a child they were inquiring about the sex and the tech must have felt good about them and said, "you must raise this one very pretty" (turned out to be a girl).
The next time they were having a child the tech told them to buy some blue clothes (turned out to be a boy).
Third time both of the kids were in the room with them and the tech outright said, "poor Ian (their son's name) he is going to be outnumbered" (they had another daughter).

On the other hand his wife's sister was having a girl, and her parents were there as well and the tech never even acknowledged their questioning because it was early in the pregnancy and the potential grandparents must have given off a vibe he didn't like (grandparents are really bad at pressuring for abortions). Irony being that her dad was hoping for a granddaughter with his fingers crossed every time.

THE PWNER posted:

I said it's justified in the chinese case. Who cares about Korea, Japan and Taiwan. Where even are they

I mean here in Australia we have a literal neo nazi movement that believes that muslims are trying to breed white people out of the gene pool anyway

LOL, like you have to try. Just having 2 kids per couple is pretty much akin to being in the quiverfull movement compared to most predominantly white countries.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Yeah except the US isn't taking the Phillipines resources or trying to steal territory from them, it's China and they're only going to get worse now that they've been invited in.

Hell, they think that the mining waste (crushed rock and earth) from some Chinese operated nickel mines in the Philippines was actually used to create a stable base for some of the islands the Chinese are building to encroach on Philippine territorial waters.

This is just Duterte getting his feelings hurt by Obama for being criticized for legalizing random murders, and being able to spin the money he got from Chinese backers in a positive light. The average Filipino who voted for him is going to believe whatever he says, and if he said that the US has been intentionally keeping their country poor and cheating them at every turn, and that China is going to make them all millionaires, they will eat it up.

So has anyone started a "Duterte has a fatal accident" pool yet? I'm going to put my money on 2-3 months into Hillary's term.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Brannock posted:

I can't wrap my head around the whole face thing and how it's so incredibly at odds with chabuduo. Wouldn't you lose face if you put out a substandard product? What am I missing?

You only lose face when someone points out that you are putting out a substandard product. Also that person will loose a little face for being a tattletale.

Baronjutter posted:

My mayor is off to visit china because we are building a new bridge we didn't need and the previous mayor determined it would be very slightly cheaper to have it all fabricated in China and any fears of sub-standard quality was based purely on racism and protectionism.

None of the people involved in the construction had ever outsourced to china to this extent and had no clue you had to actually keep tabs on them. They got a good ways into production until someone involved in the project actually went to visit. I mean all the report said it was going well, and no one would lie about something as important as the type of steel used in a bridge, or the quality of the welds. They visited and found the steel was not what was ordered, and the welds were garbage. The chinese company protested and tried to get more money but in the end was forced to scrap everything they did and start over by doing what was actually loving asked of them. This put the project way behind schedule. Next they raised a fuss because the bridge had some large circular elements to it (it's a draw bridge) and they made a bunch of statements about how they have no idea how to accurately cut large circles and will do their best but they've never done it so don't expect it perfect. We needed it perfect because that's how the bridge will go up and down and needs to perfectly fit some motors and poo poo. We had to pay more to send them help. There's been a bunch of other fuckups typical to any unsupervised chinese outsourcing and low-ball bidding.

So to make the people of Victoria feel better they pulled out all the stops to welcome the mayor of Victoria on a big official visit, to prove that they totally are following our instructions and have a good attention to detail.

Real inspiring.

I think the "China.jpg MK1" thread predicted this exact scenario when it was still an early proposal. Fojar and I have been saying this would happen ever since they got the contract.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Accretionist posted:

Any strong opinions on destinations for food-oriented solo-travel, w/good transit?

Europe

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The sign of a really prosperous nation is cracking down really hard on personal freedoms, original thought, and harping on past glory. . . right?

https://news.google.com/news/story?...VldC44QqgIIOTAB

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I'm here from the future to tell you about the success and integrity of the CCP-Social Network.

<pays official few thousand RMB to bump score>
<spams some nationalist crap on forum to bump score>
<watches a LPG storage tank explode and posts a picture online, takes a hit to his score>
<buys 500 copies of 3 RMB book on why the party is great to bump score>
<runs over homeless guy while drunk, takes a hit to his score>
<pays official a few hundred thousand RMB to bump score>
<is the son/daughter of an official, score is permanently set to highest>
<has same name as popular dissident who has an article published in the HK times, score is set to lowest>
<opens up lucrative business where out of work WOW Gold Farmers will brute-force your for money>
<is hit by a drunk official's car while crossing at an intersection at the appropriate time, score is set to lowest after not taking 3000 RMB bribe for two broken legs>
<factory boss is getting close to being caught embezzling money. Pays an official to drastically reduce assistant's score to make him look untrustworthy and take the fall>
<wechat's with foreigner, takes a hit to score>
<lives in apartment Block 12, unit #1989. Posts address on social media so coworkers can come over for a party. Takes a massive hit to points>

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Outrail posted:

Absolutely no way this could possibly backfire in any way. Nothing wrong with teachers having to live in fear of a student's parent going apeshit for not treating their precious god-child with the required respect.

Welcome to the wonderful world of being a Korean University Professor! "A++++'s for everyone (so I can keep my job)"

Blistex fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 23, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Outrail posted:

Wouldn't be smarter to have the students rate the teachers and have the teachers submit final marks, THEN have them both sides get marks/ratings? I mean then there's no chance of retaliation.

It does exactly what it was intended to do.

-having students give feedback on profs makes students feel better
-profs know that student feedback can be vital to their continued employment so they make their classes easier for the students to get good grades
-students feel more satisfaction because they get higher grades and speak highly of the university
-admin can use the professor ratings to promote/demote profs as they see fit and even fire them without any other reason

It has nothing to do with making the university better, and everything to do with get better ratings from students and to be used as a tool for department in-fighting and politics. A friend of mine has been a prof in Korea for going on 10 years, and has seen stuff that would make your average soap-opera seem like it was totally plausible and mundane. The impression he gave of working in a Korean University (especially as a foreigner) is that it's like the show "Survivor" except dialled up to 11 when it comes to the scheming and backstabbing.

Like with any authoritarian police state, you make your subjects report each other.

"Ding, Ding, Ding!"

This is just a 21st Century version of the red terror during the cultural revolution. Instead of having to brainwash a bunch of kids and village idiots to rat on their family and friends, all you need to do is tell them everyone is fighting for "high score" and if they want to grind to the next level, they are going to have to take out some of the competition.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 24, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Outrail posted:

Sounds like your friend needs an SA account

Not likely. He thinks I'm insane for remaining on SA after a helldump goon phoned my place of work and tried to get me fired.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

this is so working in Asia and just reading it makes me furious

This reminded me of about a million long, boring, pointless presentations whose only function was to let the admin fellate themselves. But it also reminds me of a few dozen after-hours school functions that I had to attend while in Korea which all involved mandatory binge drinking, and were never not a riot.

- Principal projectile vomiting on his dick while trying to use the urinal.
- An admin guy trying to pick up the principal's mistress (an admin lady at the school)
- Watching a Korean teacher pick up a cigarette he dropped into a puddle of urine under a urinal, and put it back in his mouth, then look confused when it wouldn't light.
- Two members of the parent's committee getting into a cat fight.
- A Korean teacher waving his fist in my face because I had the nerve to smoke an expensive Cigar in front of the principal, while he was only smoking regular cigarettes.
- A Korean teacher (male) trying to kiss a foreign female teacher (Chinese) in the hallway of the restaurant by backing her into a corner. She managed to dodge him.
- Going to a bar and getting a bad batch of Dong-Dong-Ju (rice wine) and nearly all of the staff puking on the side of the street while waiting for taxis.
- The foreign Japanese teacher locking herself out of her apartment at the school in her underwear (it was 3am and she was putting the garbage in the bin at the end of the hall to be picked up in 4 hours), and knocking on my door for help. I had to climb across two balconies 8 floors up to get into her room and open the door for her.
- An elderly admin guy getting drunk, getting off the elevator on the wrong floor (7th floor was the girl's dorm, 8'th floor was the teacher's apartments) and leaving a massive mound of vomit in the middle of the hallway. I'm talking a pile that would fill your average bucket of KFC. This was a long weekend as well, so it stayed there for 4 days and apparently came off in one solid piece.
- Me switching a Lucky Strike for one of the Chinese Foreign teacher's cigarettes in his pack while he wasn't looking, and him immediately puking after one puff.
- A Korean teacher being so drunk that he forgot how to speak Korean while doing Karaoke, and just grunting some pop song.
- Me being drunk enough to let them convince me to get up and do a Karaoke song (apparently I just nailed Elton John's "Your Song".
- The Korean teacher who was in charge of the English department asking me which one of the three female Korean teachers in my office I found the most attractive (right in front of them). I was pretty drunk, so I said something along the lines of, "that's like trying to find the most beautiful rose in a bouquet, when what you should really be doing is just admiring the beauty of it". (this was my ticket into "Korean teacher's Ladies night" for the remaining 4 months of my stay, which was a real eye opening experience*).
- A severely hung over staff littering the slopes of Mt. Soyosan with vomit during a mandatory hike at 7:00am.
- Female Korean teachers forgetting that they "don't smoke" and then crying when everyone notices.

Luckily, Korea has an unwritten rule that whatever happens during drinking sessions, is never spoken of again, and cannot be held against you.

*closest I will ever be to a "gay friend" from a movie, and got to see how Korean women act when there are no Korean men around.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Phlegmish posted:

In this system would I win or lose points for having 10,000 hours on Steam

How rich are your parents?
Are they connected to the party?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea is the drunkest place on Earth. It can be a lot of fun.

A girl I worked with the last year I was in Korea left Scotland and came to Korea to dry up. It did not work out so well.

Go on...

Also, are your experiences due to the fact that you work in the bureaucratic environment of the Korean education system? Would things be different/better in a small private sector firm? (I'm assuming Samsung, Hyundai etc are just as bureaucratic) because this makes me appreciate China, and not a lot of things do.

A little bit of back story to set the stage...

This was my first time in Korea, and I was teaching at a foreign language high school. The high school was part of the Gyeonggi-do public school board, but was run like a private school with the students living in a dorm building with it being segregated into two wings, with the girls in the west wing, the boys in the east wing, and the teachers occupying the top floor, (foreign teachers and Korean teachers who had a massive commute lived in them). This was seen as a very prestigious school, and as such everything in it was done to "the max". Which means that the students were literally only allocated 4.5 hours of sleep a night, they only went home every other weekend, and teachers were expected to put in very long hours in the class, the office, and in the bars. This was a brand new school, so I was in charge of creating a special English curriculum to challenge our students, and I shared an office with 3 female korean teachers, a female foreign Chinese teacher and the obligatory male lead teacher. There were 5 such offices, all with a foreign English teacher, a foreign Chinese/Japanese teacher, and 4-6 Korean teachers and one lead teacher, so everyone was interacting with everyone else and you could see the day of the typical Korean teacher for yourself. I could talk about that, but it has been covered and if anyone really wants to know about Korean work/admin, then they can ask me or Grand Fromage, or a dozen other people in this thread.

Korean Ladies Night:

To preface, Korea is really, really regimented/structured when it comes to a woman's place. They didn't have the great leap forward/cultural revolution to sort of even the playing field like China did, so women end up getting a pretty crappy role in life if they join the working world in an office situation. The female Korean teachers I worked with were expected to do the following as a regular part of their days at the school...

-prepare and teach their classes
-prepare and sometimes teach the male teacher's classes
-do all of the admin work for the male teachers, male admin, and sometimes even the principal
-do actual university papers for well-connected university students who were related to or friends of the principal's friends
-organize the social functions that happened every week after school (binge drinking outings)

Needless to say, they were exhausted and frustrated with their lot in life and really liked to cut loose when the Korean men were not around. Occasionally they would ignore the social expectations and cut loose at the function like the Korean men were doing. At these after school functions it was expected that the Korean men could turn into drunken idiots, while the Korean women had to remain "perfect ladies". So you'd see the Korean men getting absolutely trashed, while the Korean women were just sitting and nodding.

After I gave the diplomatic answer to who was the prettiest Korean teacher in my office the female staff (younger staff, all early 30's and about 5-10 years older than me at the time) started to take notice of how nice I was to them (comparatively) and how I was willing to help them out with some of their work (marking papers, doing random university student's work, doing extra classes after hours for them, etc) and they started to invite me out to their social functions.

First Night Out - Becoming one of the Girls: It was about 10:00pm and the female Korean Teachers (FKTs) were having a get-together in their apartment on the top floor of the dorm, just 4 units down the hall from mine. I got a knock on my door and one of the FKTs from my office invited me over. When I came in there were about 8 of them all sitting on the floor around a giant pile of snacks and beer just chatting. I had a seat and they all started to ask me a bunch of questions about Canada and what I thought of Korea (standard stuff). One of them asked me what I thought of Mr. Lee (the head teacher in our office) and I went on a rant about how he doesn't do anything except delegate his work to them and how they were expected to keep the whole school running, etc. After a bunch of cheers and some rounds of beer and soju, they decreed that we should go to a bar. We head out to a nearby bar and get one of those massive booths that we can all sit at and start talking. They start to unload all of the poo poo that they have to do at school, I'm giving them a sympathetic ear, and we are all getting thoroughly trashed. We start to play the drinking game, "I never" (one person makes a statement that they have never done, and anyone who has actually done it has to drink a beer). The very first statement is, "I have never smoked" and everyone at the table takes a drink, then opens up their purses and pulls out cigarettes. (I'm pretty sure the smoking stats for Korean women are junk). After a few more rounds another teacher says, "I have never slept with a Foreign Chinese teacher" and I take a drink, and they all go "OoooOOOooohhh! WE KNEW IT!". They start asking me questions about The Chinese teacher who left a month prior, and how she compares to Korean women. I told them I have not even kissed a Korean women, and somehow that prompted a game of spin the bottle that lasted long enough for everyone to kiss the Wayguk. At about 3am on a Tuesday morning most of us head back to the dorm while two teachers hopped the subway into Seoul to get 2 hours sleep before they have to get up and come to school.

That was the night that I realized that Korean women can be just as crazy (and even more so) than Korean men when they have the chance to cut loose, which they deserve at least twice as much as the male teachers.

I have a few more stories about other Ladies Nights if this is as interesting as some people were hoping (no actual plunging in any of them).

Blistex fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 24, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

They recently dug up the pavements for most of the roads around my neighbourhood and replaced them with concrete with a brick pattern stamped into it. Great, you can walk normally now and it looks ok. Then a week after they finished they came back and painted it with some clear stuff that has made it really slippery again. They also painted a random brick blue every couple of metres with something that manages to be even more slippery than the black marble they use everywhere.

I think the blue bricks designates the bike lane.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Korean Ladies Night - Carnival Evening

It was late May and spring was transitioning into Summer, so all of the outdoor things that one could do in Korea were being dusted off and opened (outdoor kiosks, driving ranges, batting cages, and the little markets and carnival style gaming booths one can find in every Korean city). It was the week after the first ladies night and I was invited to go out with them for Dakgalbi. We showed up earlier than expected (7:00pm) because nobody that night had to do much extra work for the male teachers. The 8 or 9 of us sit around the table and dig in to the deliciously spicy mix of cabbage, cheese, chicken, sweet potato, garaeddeok, and actually spicy sauce (legit spicy, not typical Korean spicy).

Due to the extra-spiciness of the dish (they must have screwed up the red-pepper flake ratio because I had never before or since had it that spicy) the 8 of us managed to make it through 4 pitchers of beer by the time we were done and were all half in the bag before we even made it to the bar. We leave the restaraunt and go to a soju-cocktail bar (after I stop by a family mart and pick up two bottle of soju) and find a booth big enough for all of us (I love that Korea has no shortage of massive booths in their eateries and drinking establishments). After we each take a glass off the top of the 4 pitchers, I divide the two bottles between the pictures and top them up with more soju. The ladies all gave me a pat on the back and thumbs up saying, "Blistex teacher, you are a real Korean now". We down the pictures and head outside towards the now-active carnival area.

**A little description so I don't have to waste a lot of time explaining during the story**

The carnival area are a bunch of booths and kiosks set up in this vacant area of town that have the typical things that you would find in a carnival (booths to buy crappy toys/stuffed animals/trinkets, snack vendors, games like knocking over bottles, darts, roulette, shooting galleries, all of which have prizes. There were also batting cages, trampolines, and some other things I can't remember. This was opened up right before summer, and would close near the end of September, so it was a semi-permanent thing.

Back to the story: So we're all stumbling around this carnival, and the women start to revert to "date mode" and start asking me to win them prizes. I'm pretty garbage at a lot of these games, especially when drunk, so I was not doing so well until I got to the shooting range. Basically they take a really high-quality airsoft gun, and have you shoot these flip-down targets of varying size. They have a variety of guns to choose from and I pick up the SG 550 because I have shot the real thing in Canada. After the first few rounds I notice I'm not hitting anything and check the rear sight which has been dialled all the way to the right, and is shooting a few inches to the left. I start to re-alight the sight and managed to do well. I opt to not go up the ladder (time limited games) and instead get all of the ladies the intro tiny-teddy bears which they all freak out about and think is the greatest thing. I got a hug and a kiss from each of them when they were presented with the present, and this got some butthurt Korean guys pissed. Before I know it these three Korean guys in their late 20's run up to the ladies and start trying to shame them, saying that I am just trying to give them AIDS and that they are bringing shame to their country. The girls are well passed drunk at this point and the oldest one walks up to the youngest guy, slaps him across the face, and tells him to go home before I stomp on his head. (at the time I had no idea what was going on). This was my first experience with pissed Korean men interacting with foreigners hanging around Korean women, but not my last since my wife and I spend a year in Korea two years later and most people assumed she was Korean, and on a few occasions gave us trouble.

So we walk by the batting cages and I decide that I want to try them out. Being drunk, and the fact that they are set by default to 85mph I was not doing so well until the girls asked the guy running the cages to turn it down for me. After a few solid hits, one of the girls decides to try since she played baseball in high school. After a few decent hits and foul balls, she does a big swing and a miss and rips the rear end right out of her skirt. This must be a pretty common thing to happen in Korea because the other girls swoop in with a jacket and an emergency sewing kit and re-sew it while she is still wearing the thing. We start walking back to the school which is at the end of a pretty quiet and dimly lit street and the other girls start to tease the girl who ripped her skirt (in good nature, not in a mean way).

"Blistex teacher, what did you think of Kim's panties. . . much too sexy for a teacher, right?" I replied that I knew all of them were wearing thongs already, which elicited a bunch of excited/embarrassed squeals from them. They asked how I knew, and I told them that thongs don't show panty lines, and all of them were wearing tight skirts. They all fake-shamed me for noticing, and I joked that I even knew that hers would be black. This prompted them to ask me the colours of their panties to which I agreed, and one by one I guessed them all right. (they would pull their skirts down a little to show off the top of their underwear, but one teacher was wearing a one-piece dress and had to pulls hers up). Finally when they were all done, they asked me how I knew the colours, and I told them I just noted the colour of their bra straps and assumed they liked to match. They chimed, "Ohhh, Blistex teacher you are so smart! (in a Sarcastic tone)" and then accused me of manipulating them to start this game. They started to guess what colour underwear I was wearing, and after finally guessed the correct colour I full-on dropped my pants to the ground which elicited a bunch of squeals, then a disappointed "awwwww". (I wear boxer shorts). They assumed that I was wearing the bikini-style underwear that Korean men wear, and playfully criticized me for not playing fair and letting them see "my pepper" (which became a re-occurring theme, and came to a head at one point)

The biggest difference I found between Korean men and Korean women when going out and drinking is that most Korean men have a massive insecurity complex, and will either get embarrassingly "you are so great" or get really passive aggressive. Korean women on the other hand seem to just let everything out and use it as an excuse to let loose no matter who you are. When a Korean man and woman start dating, there are a lot of rules and procedures to follow, which both parties see as being painfully long, boring and expensive (for the guy). When they go through the proper procedures, a Korean guy might have to wait two or more months before getting a kiss, and having to spend upwards of a million won in the process. Sex might not happen for another six months to a year, or not until after the wedding because both sides know they should be upholding tradition. When a Korean hooks up with a foreigner, all of that can go out the window and they can skip to the good stuff if they so choose because they know the rules don't apply in this situation. This is another reason why Korean men get so pissed at foreign men, because they can have one night stands with Korean women and have sex without the many months of waiting and blowing money. The girls that I was working with at the time and hanging out with were super-super flirty with me, and would do things they would rather die than let a Korean man know/see, because we all knew that a relationship was never going to happen, and that I was not in the same social circles as their friends, co-workers, or families.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Makes me wonder how much methanol contamination is going on with these soju distillers.

Some old Korean guys will pour a cap or two full of soju off the top of the bottle before drinking. This harkens back to the days when there were significant amounts of formaldehyde in Soju, so you'd get rid of it by pouring off the top inch from the bottle.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ladron posted:

I loving hope so because your stories so far are lame as poo poo

Ok, I'll let everyone resume race chat.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Smoremaster posted:

Is this kind of poo poo normal in China, or are these people just extra weird?

The meat is the only thing that makes me scratch my head. Everything else is in no way out of the ordinary.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Holy gently caress! How did they think that was a good idea, and not totally 1950's style racism?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haha. Korean pretending to be Japanese.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Learning Mandarin will be an excellent business opportunity for westerners.

<American man learns to speak Mandarin>
<company sends him to their Chinese factory to sort out their issue with substandard straight bevel gears>
<Chinese handlers stare at him like he has two heads when he speaks to them like a native>
<Chinese handlers immediately let everyone know the foreigner can speak Mandarin, and that nobody is to discuss the product or any business related things to him>
<Chinese handlers talk to him in broken English, refuse to speak Mandarin, and forcefully shoo him away from the factory, making sure he never returns>
<The foreigner tries to accomplish what he set out to do (verify the product is being made to the correct specs, but all he gets is, "will go to factory tomorrow" over and over>
<Foreigner tries to take a taxi to the factory, but one of the factory men assigned to watch him intercepts the taxi driver and pays him to take the nosy foreigner on a joyride>
<After his three weeks in China are up, the foreigner has accomplished nothing more than he did via phone in the US and takes his flight home feeling defeated>
<Arrives back in the US office and is reprimanded for not accomplishing his job>
<US company receives a shipment of gears that are made of a low-grade metal that is too soft and brittle to be useful>
<US company sends another Mandarin speaker to the Chinese factory to sort things out. . . >

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Let us English posted:

Is there anyway I could ignore your obvious experience on the issue and call you a racist?

Yes, but we will both lose face!

Here is the female version...

<American woman learns to speak Mandarin>
<company sends her to their Chinese factory to sort out their issue with substandard straight bevel gears>
<Chinese handlers stare at her like she has two heads before she can say a word>
<Chinese handlers shoo her away from the factory gate while she tries to protest in Mandarin which they don't hear>
<In the cab ride to the airport her handler and the taxi driver talk about what it would be like to gently caress her>*

*A white coworker from Hong Kong who can speak Cantonese and Mandarin had this happen to her, except it was a handler from the school who picked her up at the airport and was talking to the school's limo driver. When they arrived at the school she thanked him for picker her up and carrying her luggage in Mandarin. He then proceeded to yell at her for embarrassing him in front of the limo driver.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 26, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

She had instances where she would literally introduce herself to Chinese teachers (in Mandarin), do a minute or so of small talk (in Mandarin), then not 5 minutes later the staff would start talking about her, out loud amongst themselves. The two most outrageous incidents happened at another high school we both worked at where we showed up on the first day and were introduced to the staff, and she would do her thing, "Hi, I'm Jennifer, I'm from Hong Kong, this is my first time in Liaoning province, I'm excited to meet and work with all of you (all of this in Mandarin). We took a seat, were chilling in the staff room having coffee while everyone was socializing before classes started, and a group of female teachers were looking (and pointing) at her and talking loudly. I asked her what they were saying about her (didn't need to be fluent in Mandarin to figure it out) and she sighed and said, "They don't think my hair is actually red, and they think my insulated vest looks too much like an older style. . . also my freckles are hideous".

Another time, a few weeks later, (after we had become well known, and she had continued to speak Mandarin to everyone) we were in the same staff room and the vice principal came in and told the head teacher in Charge of us that we should be sent home before classes, and told that English classes had been cancelled for the whole week, and that the school will pocket the money they were given to pay us (we were being sub-contracted to another high school as part of a program). The head teacher (who had spoken to her numerous times IN MANDARIN) told the VP that he would tell us that the kids had gone on a week-long school trip.

We get the message from the head teacher, mouths agape out of shock, nod, and leave the school. We go straight to our program director at the main school we worked at, and she tells him EXACTLY what had just happened (in Mandarin), and he asks her in broken English, "how could you know this?".

Edit: somehow deleted the last paragraph.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 26, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grandma Panic! posted:

So is this obviousness, or face-saving, or wtf?

"How can white woman learning Mandarin? Not even real people!"

It's basically the belief that you have to be ethnically Chines to speak Mandarin, and a refusal to process the very obvious evidence to the contrary. Most Chinese people know that it's not true when they think about it, but subconsciously they assume it must be impossible to do unless Han blood is flowing through your veins.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

His Divine Shadow posted:

Can anyone try and offer a serious answer to this ludicrous question (why the hell are they like this?) aside from heavy metal poisoning?

Subconsciously they believe that nobody who is not Han Chinese can learn Mandarin, so they behave like that is true, despite being show the opposite a few moments later. In their heads they just assume she only knows those exact 147 words that got her through that 58 second conversation, and knows absolutely no more Mandarin than that. (Example).

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sapper posted:

That would be because of all the GIs in Korea that act like the ugly American. They've given us a bad reputation. During my tour there, I got the best treatment when I went far away from where most soldiers go (Itaewon, TDC). I had no problems getting laid, had a girlfriend for a few months until I PCS'd. Honestly, I enjoyed Korea--best year of my career.

Getting off the beaten path is a pro tip for getting decent treatment in Korea. Then again it can also blow up in your face. My wife and I (then girlfriend) decided to go to the end of the line, as far north as you can go by subway, and then took a 30 minute cab ride to a spa with hot springs and a hotel nearby. We arrived at night (after work) and intended to stay in the hotel over night then go to the spa in the morning and make a day out of it. When I went into the hotel the guy behind the desk told me that they were full, despite the "vacancy tags" still being on 3/4 of the room markers. I tried to explain that I was not a GI, that I had no intention of trashing the room, and that I wanted to go to the spa the next day. The guy refused, and after a few minutes of pleading with him the cabbie came in and tried to argue with him on our behalf. The manager didn't budge and on the ride back the cabbie explained that the guy didn't believe that I was not a US soldier, despite me having non-regulation hair, and said that I would make trouble with all of my friends (despite there being no other western guys with me).

The GI bias runs pretty deep in Korea, but then again I've seen cases where they do act just as bad as their reputation would lead you to believe (which is not half as bad/unruly/destructive as the average group of Korean salarymen on a bender). On the other hand I've been mistaken for a GI on a few occasions and gotten royal treatment from old guys who used to be in joint ROK/US units and would tell me stories of the cool stuff they used to do, and the friend they made.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ Please tell me she got really butthurt that her "pure French" (what every French teacher told us in school) was not recognized as being intelligible.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

this stupid show ran at the height of "CHINA IS THE NEXT SUPER POWER" craze in 2008. i dont think any children learned any mandarin.

To be honest, Dora the Explorer (which this copied) never taught anyone to speak Spanish. Hard to do when they cover one new word/phrase an episode then you never hear it again.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

barbecue at the folks posted:

I would absolutely love some more Out On Town With Korean Women Stories now that aforementioned threadshitters seem to have found something else to fill their lonely existences for the moment

**Warning, there is no plunging in these stories, but there is content of a sexual nature in most of them**
***ladron, feel free to just skip this

There is nothing too outrageous in any of these stories. Basically I just wanted to share some of my experiences with Korean women after they have taken off their "culturally mandated facade" and let loose with no pressure to impress (basically not anger) Korean men. Most of the things that happen in these stories are how we were treated while hanging out, some altercations, the girls really cutting loose, or talking about social expectations and how they effected them.

After a week or two of hanging out with the girls, it's pretty clear that none are interested in me in a romantic way, or at least none of them want to follow through. I had just had a relationship with one of the Chinese foreign teachers who had left a month or two prior, and all of the teachers I was hanging out with were a little older than me and already either seeing someone, were engaged, or were actually married at the time, but spent little time at home since they had long commutes and just lived in the school apartments during the week.

The Wrong Stop:

One night we decide to take the subway into Seoul to cut loose and hang out as some clubs. It's an hour ride south to get into Seoul, so it was not something we did often, and on the ride there we were getting some dirty looks from old ladies and mid-30's Korean guys because I was sitting in the middle of our group of 8-9 and they were all talking to me in English. One thing that I found to be really counter to what you'd expect is the number of old Korean men (50-60's) who are super chill and would give me a thumbs up when they saw me in the middle of the group. Generally speaking, the girls would take flak every night we hung out from some butthurt Korean guy in his 20-30's who felt the need to protect their virtues from my foreign plans. So we go to 3-4 clubs and have a good time, do some drinking, hit up a Nori Bong (KTV/Karaoke Bar) and time things right to take the last subway back to the school. We get mixed up and end up taking the right line in the wrong direction, so we hop out get on a subway going in the right direction, and see how close we can get to our stop before the line closes. We're about half way there and the car comes to a stop at a station and the intercom informs us that the line is officially closed. We get out and see that this is pretty much the smallest town in Korea and is not likely to have a night bus service running. After walking around for a while we find a Jimjilbang (Korean sauna) and decide that we will spend the night there. We stop by a bar next to it and load up on Soju cocktails for another hour and play a round of "I have never". Not ten seconds after we walk out a Korean guy in his late 20's runs up to the girls and warns them that I am following them (I'm literally walking in the middle of the group). The girls tell him that I am a coworker, and they are showing me around. He proceeds to wave his arms at them and call them whores and leaves.

(I've had a lot of male Korean friends who have acted totally normal, and will even ask me if I think that Korean women are pretty, and thrilled when I say yes, but will act like they have caught Aatrek talking to their kid sister the moment a Korean girl approaches me to chat. Guys I have known for months and have had a good time with will make a point to take her aside and shame her into not interacting with me.)

On the way to the Jimjilbang I finally ask why a lot of Korean guys make a point of warning them about me or outright telling them not to be around me. This was when they told me about expected Korean dating practices, and the amount of literature (Yellow Journalism) about how all foreigners are infected with AIDS and want to spread it around Korea. We arrive at the jimjilbang and get changed and go into the communal area. It's a Tuesday night, so it's unusually empty, so there are not a lot of people to stare at us, and those that are there are already asleep since it's around 3:00am. The girls set their alarms, and we notice that there are not segregated sleeping rooms, just the big communal room. The girls make a dog pile and I grab a pillow and set up shop a few feet away. After about 5 minutes Yeon Hee (one of the older women gets up and lays next to me) while the rest of them very quietly go, "Ooohhh, Blistex gets some company". I ask her what she is doing, and if she is afraid of what people will think, and she says that nobody she knows will ever see her there. She cuddles up next to me and pulls my arm around her so that we are now spooning. After a minute nature of this it must be obvious that I don't have something in my pocket and I apologize. She says it is ok, and I ask if I should move. She rolls over, pulls open the front of the spa provided shorts, takes a look, and says, "He looks tired. He'll be asleep before we are." then resumes the spooning position. The soju did it's job, and my cigarette lighter went to sleep shortly thereafter.

On the ride back the next day another girl asks, "did Yeon Hee actually see your pepper"* And I said that she did, and that it was just a peek. She replied that she would need some scissors to do the same with her boyfriend. This prompted the girls to ask if I did much "manscaping" and I told them that we needed another night out before that topic would ever come up again. I asked them why they were such a close knit group of friends, while all of the other women at the school were always at each other's throats, and why they decided to adopt me. They explained that they were uncharacteristic when it came to Korean women. They were all study nerds in school and were sort of outcasts. When they got older they all applied to teach at this school because it was seen as a very prestigious post, and when they got here they learned that they were at the bottom of the totem pole so to speak, and overworked with all of the crap that everyone else piled on to them. None of them knew each other before, but they soon realized that they were all going to get burned out and have mental breakdowns if they didn't rely on each other for support, and the 6 months to 1.5 years that they had been had made them as close as lifelong friends. They said that they adopted me not because of the diplomatic way that I answered the lead teacher's question about which of the three of them was the most beautiful, but because at one time or another I had offered to do something for the majority of them (I often covered classes for them, brought in snacks, and never complained if they asked for help on extra work).

*I thought that she meant "pecker" but apparently it's an old-fashioned term for a baby's penis. :(

Excuse any grammar/tense/or other mistakes, I'm in the process of making Dong Po (Chinese Pork Belly).

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Let the artery clogging commence!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jusupov posted:

How was the plate

It's really good. My wife says it's just like her grandmother's recipe, and for a first attempt, I managed to best her mother's version.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the foreign crime rate in Korea is minuscule compared to the Korean crime rate. And that's the reported one, the actual one is most certainly higher. You are much safer at all times staying around foreign areas. Also that's all "foreign" crime, if you limit to just the western teacher/GI/engineer group it becomes absurdly tiny. The majority of foreign crime is ethnic Koreans from China and laborers from SE Asia. Which, to be clear, are still way less likely to be criminals than the locals--there's just a whole lot more of them than the honkey population.

You can use this in Korea to find good food though. Ask Koreans what the dangerous part of the city is that you should avoid. That is, invariably, the foreign neighborhood and will be full of great Chinese/Vietnamese/etc food.

I've personally seen old drunk guys, who were reported for beating their wives too loudly push and take a swing at a cop on the street, and nothing happens because they are older and drunk. Reported crimes in Korea are absolutely much lower than actual rates due to face/elder respect/police indifference.

Haier posted:

I have nothing. The girl with the hair problem kept bugging me about other women, so I stupidly/strategically told her about the crazy cavern vagina miracle baby from the other night.

What was your thought process when doing this? Genuinely curious.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

If she is blonde she will constantly be asked if she is a prostitute.

It's not that strange.

Female + Blonde = Russian
Russian = Prostitute

Where is the problem?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Atlas Hugged posted:

Living in Dongducheon was the loving worst because everyone really wanted to believe I was a soldier since a ton of the infantry are stationed there and that's what I look like in my everyday clothes since I keep my hair as short as possible.

loving LOL! Where in Dongducheon were you living? I was in Jihaeng, the station was just a 10 minute walk from where I lived. Dongducheon is a dangerous town to get a haircut. First time I went to a barber shop the lady took the clippers and started to give me a GI "High and Tight" before I could pull out the written instructions a Korean teacher had prepared for me.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Baronjutter posted:

When I was in Malaysia chinese kids would follow me around and say "Hi John!!" and random people would shout "hey john!" or just "John!!" at me.
It took me a while to figure this out. I always thought there was some dude named John near me, or that "John" was some greeting or expression in the local dialect. Nope, all white guys are named John.

Also simply knowing how to use chopsticks was enough to get a whole restaurant full of people and staff to come watch, let alone that I was totally fine eating normal ol' chinese food which seemed exactly the same as the chinese food I ate back home.

I will never ever forget being able to eat unlimited dim sum nearly every morning for a couple dollars though.

I've been very tempted on a few occasions to run up to Korean tourists in Canada and shout all the stupid things they would randomly say to me on the street back in Korea, just to see what their reaction is. Also nothing better than having Koreans and Chinese tourists call you foreigner to your face, while you are in your own country. A friend asked me why they do that, and I had to explain that no matter where Chinese/Koreans are on the earth, everyone else is a foreigner.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ElGroucho posted:

I want to hear more about rad Korean ladies

<Assuming that you're talking about my stories about the ladies I worked with in Korea>

Edit: holy poo poo, that was a 2,800 word post. I'm just now realizing that I think I really, really miss those ladies.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 28, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Lemonpieman posted:

i thought it was a nice post :)

Brannock posted:

That was a really good and heartfelt post, I appreciated it.

Maybe a little too personal. My wife came down to see why I wasn't in bed and asked why I looked so sad. I told her that I was just reading some sad news story. I haven't really shared that with anyone I know, and she might feel a little insecure if I told her about how close I was with them, even though it was before I met her. I might repost it tomorrow when my head is a little clearer after a good sleep. Good night goons!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Sorry about the tease post. Here is the original.

So last two nights ago I decided to give one of the girls that I keep in touch with a call since talking about them made me really nostalgic for my time in Korea and miss hanging out with them. Hee Jin was one of the ringleaders of the group, and would call everyone pussies if they said they wanted to go home before 1:00am. She was pretty much stuck in an arranged marriage to the son of one of her father's friends which I found pretty strange since she was the most head-strong of our group, and seemed like she would be the last person to every agree to something like this. I rang her up on her mobile and got her on the subway (morning there). I was using skype so she just saw "unlisted number" and assumed it was some telemarketer or something. She answered with a really hesitant "여보세요" (special hello for the phone) and I immediately said, "we're not done drinking yet ladies!" (her English catch-phrase) and she let out a squeal that I'm sure had everyone on the subway car wondering what was going on. We chatted for a while and she asked when I was coming back to Korea (been 7 years) and I told her about my job search situation, and how I have been doing some freelance contracting (mostly roofing and building sheds, etc). She said that that was too bad and that she hoped that I was not too poor now. I told her that I managed to make more in the four months that I have been laid off that I would have made in seven had I been teaching. She replied, "Oh, I forgot that Canadian jobs are backwards". She said that if I did come for a visit she would forceably round up the gang from all over Korea, make them abandon their families for a few days, and we would shake the country to its core. She said that none of them have really partied since I left, as a few months after my contract was up they really shook things up at the school and it was pretty much an entirely new staff, with everyone going elsewhere. We chatted about our spouses, and what we have been doing in the meantime, and before we said bye she said, "it would be so nice to see everyone together again, and see what upgrades they've gotten" (see if anyone has gotten new surgery).

Slumber Party Surgery Conference:

So at this point we have been hanging out 2-3 times a week for going on a month and a half and having a great time. I've been learning a lot more about Korean culture and fun things to do in the country than I have from Daves ESL Cafe, various travel guides, or some of the Korean guys I had been hanging out with (but had essentially dumped at this point due to their. . . "Korean Male-ness"). It's spring, and it won't stop raining. We've been cooped up in the school and our apartments for 4 days, and are starting to wonder if we will ever get out again. I have an idea for a "sleep over" style party in my apartment (school apartment on the top floor of the dormitory). At this point in time there are about 15 teachers staying in the apartments. 2 Chinese, 1 Japanese, 1 English, and the rest are Korean teachers who live in Seoul or further away and don't want an hour or more commute every morning and night. At lunch I walk to the dormitory office and grab the master key that is hanging on the wall next to the ~70 year old security guard who is permanently napping in a chair in front of the cctv monitors. I go up to the top floor and take the twin mattresses out of 8 of the empty apartments (fully furnished) and arrange them in a 3x3 square with a hole in the middle in my room. I brave the rain and go to the corner store and load up on tons of snacks, soju, and mix. I load up my PC with a bunch of music, and raid the school's supply closet and AV room for decorations and one of those laser/disco lights and some decent speakers. I buy some cigarettes, a deck of Go-Stop cards (popular Korean card game) and some cheap poker chips at a nearby dollar store. My thinking is, "if we can't go out and have fun, we will do it inside". I circulate the word on MSN messenger (how the foreign teachers and the "cool" korean teachers talked to each other during work) that there was going to be a surprise on the 8th floor after supper. Three of the girls had to go after work due to prior engagements, but the remaining six were up for it. Before dinner I returned three of the mattresses and replaced the key on the wall. After supper (we all ate breakfast, lunch, and supper in the school cafeteria which no lie, was the best-tasting, most diverse menu any school ever had and ever will) the girls showed up at my apartment and when they walked in they all squealed and we had a big group hug. Taeyeon (one of the married ladies) declared that everyone had to return to their rooms and change into their pyjamas to do this party justice.

When everyone got back we started to pig out on snacks, work our way through some soju cocktails, and basically talk about our plans for next week, and told funny stories about highschool. They asked me about some of the parties we used to have in Canada, and I talked about how we usually went to someone's house, had drinks, listed to music and socialized like you see in movies. I talked about this one guy who lived 2km down a side road in the bush and how he had a main house, a sauna house with an attached apartment, and how both would have a live band playing and everyone would be drinking, singing, laughing, and hanging out. They all thought that it sounded like some sort of a movie or dream, as they never had those experiences growing up, as most of them spend upwards of 80 hours a week in some manner of classroom from grades K-12. They asked me what kinds of games we would play, and I showed them quarters, an improvised version of beer pong, a TV show based drinking game, etc. They asked me if there were any specific "mixed company" games that one would play when both boys and girls were present. I asked them if any of them had ever played "fire truck" (obviously a joke, not a real game). None of them had, so I endeavoured to teach them. I told them it was a game that boys and girls played to get them excited. Basically, the boy would put his hand on a girl's arm, and then slowly move it up her arm towards her breasts. When she wanted him to stop moving his hand, she would say, "red light". Hee Jin volunteered to go first, and I placed my hand on her wrist and said, "the fire truck is coming". The other girls were looking on with expressions that said, "this is a game? This looks really lame!". I start moving my hand up and pass her elbow, I start to slow down and am approaching her shoulder, I'm thinking, "crap, she's not going to say anything and the joke will be ruined" and just as I am rounding her shoulder she says, "Oh, red light!" and I keep moving my hand and cup her breast. They all look at me really confused, and I say, "fire trucks don't stop for red lights". They all erupt into laughter and one of them has to run to the bathroom because she is going to pee herself. We start setting up the go-stop cards when she comes out of the washroom holding one of those strips of condoms (4 in a row) and loudly asks, "Why did you write my, Min Seo's Taeyeon, and Ji-Yun's names on these?" I look at her in shock, and the other three girls look at me with mouths agape. . . I start to stammer "what are you talking about. . . " when she bursts out laughing and throws them at the group of girls to see that nothing is written on them.

The girls start to tease me that I should put on a fashion show and see which colour looks best (the condoms were one of those Durex variety packs in different colours). Yeon Hee (the girl who took a peek at the sauna) said, "I can do the next best thing, and grabbed the marker on the white board hanging in the kitchen and drew her best depiction of my dick. The first question they asked was, "is that life size" and Yeon Hee nodded, then gave me a quick wink (she drew some 9" beast). One of the girls said that we should play strip go-stop and find out if Yeon Hee was telling the truth. Another girl teased her back that she might end up proving to everyone that her boobs were not real which elicited a mock outraged scream and the reply, "they are totally natural". For some reason I asked if anyone had gotten plastic surgery, and half of them nodded. For the next few minutes we all started showing off our scars and upgrades. All of them had gotten eyelid surgery, and two of them had also gotten their noses shaved a little so that they were flat. One of the two that had nose jobs also had her chin shaved a bit, and the strip poker girl said she had a boob job. I asked them why they had gotten eyelid surgery and they openly admitted that it was purely cosmetic, and two of them had even had their parents suggest it before they left high school. Some girls will admit to eyelid surgery and say, "so that I could see better" but they said it was a bullshit reason 99.9999% of the time. The girls who had their noses done said that everyone in their family had really prominent noses, and they only wanted the bridge straightened, and none of the "pixie nose" celebrity stuff. For the next few minutes they fawned and groped my nose and remarked that I had the longest eyelashes and the most perfect eyebrows, and that they were jealous. I got around to asking the girl with the boob job if she got more attention now, but she said that it was still 50% padded bra during the day like most Korean women (remember we're all in PJ's right now), and that she just wanted to not be a 7 year old in her 30's. This prompted all of the other girls to start groping her, and comparing with each other's boobs (something that they said happens non-stop in saunas). Seeing me sitting back wide-eyed, she invited me to test them out, and when I leaned forward to feel, she grabbed my hand and put it under her poo poo and looked at the other girls and said, "the fire truck can take a short cut", which caused the other girls to howl with laughter.

We played some cards, talked about how Korea is really, really superficial when it comes to people's looks and their worth, and how they would love to be able to leave the house without makeup. I talked about how makeup was optional for women (Northern Ontario) and that most guys in Canada didn't really care. They talked about how their boyfriends or husbands would at first tell them that they are always beautiful, then hint more and more, and become more obvious that they should always wear make-up, even around the house, or informal outings. The impression that I got from them was that having a boyfriend/husband was a necessary evil, and that most of them were in relationships due to pressure from their parents. They talked about how there were too many rules, and expectations for Korean women, and that it felt like their lives were stuck on a single track. When it was obvious that everyone was partied out, I started to clean up and grabbed a mattress to pile up out of the way and Hee Jin said, "we through we were spending the night!". I apologized and threw some the extra pillows off my bed and off the sofa to them, and started to climb in to bed. Hee Jin then said that there was still room on the floor, and I climbed up on the bed between her and another girl, and we all started to quiet down. About 5 minutes later Yeon Hee reaches over two other girls and gives my groin a few taps and says, "go to sleep pepper". It was pretty much at that moment that I realized that I might never be this close to, or accepted by anyone else for the rest of my life outside of immediate family and my wife. They knew I was a guy, that they were girls, that there would be some sexual tension (which we freely admitted), yet we were all crashing in a pile on my apartment floor. We were from different countries, with drastically different cultures, but they accepted all of that, and even went to the trouble (and possibly annoyance) of speaking almost entirely in English while I was with them, which is not only a chore for them, but a massive sign of respect to me. They admitted that they took me out the first time as a "one time" act of gratitude, but that they actually got to know me, and that they wanted to hang out with me and each other as much as they could, because they knew it was going to be over soon.

The next morning we're woken up by my clock radio alarm which is set to go off 30 minuets before I have to be in the office. The girls start panicking because nobody remembered to set their own alarms on their phones, and they don't have enough time to properly prepare for school (shower, makeup, etc.). Worst of all, it's time for the students to go to the cafeteria, and they are all in the courtyard, and someone might look up and see 6 female teachers all leaving my apartment since the front of the dormitory building is covered in huge glass windows. Luckily there was a waist-high wall that runs in front of the doors, so all of the teachers were running bend over to their rooms, and nobody was spotted. Later, when we were all on msn, they were speculating what would have happened should someone have spotted them leaving my room.

Fake Edit: My wife just asked me [now last night] what is so sad. I didn't realize that I've been on the verge of tears while I have been typing this out, and that it's been two hours or so.

I just started thinking of my last night and day in Korea before leaving for Canada. The girls saw me off Friday night, and we kept things pretty light since I had to catch an early bus to the airport. They said their goodbyes, and I was sort of shocked and let down that they were all really reserved and sort of businesslike, like they were really holding back. I chalked it up to cultural differences, and went to bed. The next morning I opened my apartment door, with my luggage in hand and almost walked into them. All 9 of them were standing outside of my apartment door, on their day off (Saturday), when they should have been at home in Seoul or elsewhere resting and hanging out with their families. I was shocked, and just stood there for a second, and asked them what they were doing, and Hee Jin said, "you didn't think we'd miss one more day to hang out?". At once we all started crying, and hugging and saying "I love you, we will see you again, don't leave us in this prison" (the school). We pretty much bawled our eyes out for 5 minutes, until the cab to take me to the bus stop arrived and started honking the horn. I went back to Korea with my wife, but I never got together with the girls again, since we were newly married and wanted everything to be, "just the two of us". I think it just dawned on me while typing this story novel out , how much I regret that decision, and how much I miss those rad Korean ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Massive Immigration Scam exposed in Canada:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/paper-lives-massive-immigration-fraud-detailed-at-sentencing/ar-AAjxXbk?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignout

quote:

The scheme started to unravel in 2010, when immigration officials in Edmonton noticed a strange coincidence concerning applications for renewal of permanent resident cards: 63 people appeared to be living in one house.

"Of course, that raised some suspicions," said Macdonald.

• Locked thread