Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
China's space station is falling from the heavens.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/satellites/a22936/tiangong-falling-to-earth/

quote:

In a press conference on Wednesday, Chinese officials appear to have confirmed what many observers have long suspected: that China is no longer in control of its space station.

China's Tiangong-1 space station has been orbiting the planet for about 5 years now, but recently it was decommissioned and the Chinese astronauts returned to the surface. In a press conference last week, China announced that the space station would be falling back to earth at some point in late 2017.

Normally, a decommissioned satellite or space station would be retired by forcing it to burn up in the atmosphere. This type of burn is controlled, and most satellite re-entries are scheduled to burn up over the ocean to avoid endangering people. However, it seems that China's space agency is not sure exactly when Tiangong-1 will re-enter the atmosphere, which implies that the station has been damaged somehow and China is no longer able to control it.

This is important because it means Tiangong-1 won't be able to burn up in a controlled manner. All we know is it will burn up at some point in late 2017, but it is impossible to predict exactly when or where. This means that there is a chance debris from the falling spacecraft could strike a populated area.

Fortunately, it's unlikely anyone will be injured. Most of the parts of the space station will burn up in the atmosphere, and the few that do make it to the ground probably won't land in any populated areas. (It's a big planet.) Still, watch the skies late next year. You never know what could be falling down on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
A profitable uber strategy?! Never thought I'd see that in this thread.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Haier posted:

There was a US company (I think) that developed and sold some sort of machine you could use at home that sucked humidity from the air and then condensed and purified it and made it potable. Based on the size of the machine you could get 4-15 liters of water per day if you lived in a humid environment. They were the size of mini-fridges and you would place one on your porch or balcony to get maximum humid air exposure.
I don't know what happened to them, but I thought it was a really good idea and something would solve problems for a lot of people. Sure, you need electricity to run the machine, but if it were solar or wind powering it then it would basically be a free clean water machine.

Meanwhile, I am scared to make soup at home with the stuff coming out of my tap. It's not the bacteria, but the fine particles of mystery metals and minerals that are probably in it.

Are you talking about dehumidifiers? :confused: If humidity is high you can get about two gallons of water per day from one of those.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

don't think your hep came from the food mate

:eyepop:

notZaar posted:

That's the only vector for hep actually.

My heroin addict cousin is a lying poo poo eater.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

KomodoWagon posted:

Every culture has its quirks, but nowhere in the world have I ever seen the total lack of emotional maturity and connection to the real world that people describe in China.
Not to be the "It happens in the US, too" guy, but alot of cultures consider throwing a public fit, causing a scene, or showing anger to be incredibly childish. Americans do alot of that.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wow, what do you really do in that situation. it looks like he can get on until he actually tries. that thing is bookin'.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
You have to run the risk of of being humiliated by letting your tractor get away from you vs being humiliated by being run over by your own tractor.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's actually him? Holy poo poo.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

a lot of white people here talking about how racism isn't a problem, hmmmm

I'm removing my fedora and putting on my large black-framed glasses.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

nong posted:

You seem to be pretty racist for even noticing these normal behaviors of human nature's curiosity, kindness in greeting you with their own way and the fact that you might be sexist in seeing woman as weak and need a man's help.

Just stay out of the country if you see all the above as a negative instead of a country that's changing and improving itself after so many foreign powers ravaged it in recent time.

But of course you are going to stay while taking advantage of the place and milking for all its worth like many others have done.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Haier posted:

Fukin' le-mao if you think racism exists in 2016.

Haier. Thread close :a2m: :shrek: :tutbutt: :yum:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Haier posted:

I'm not like those others, baby.

God, that poor driver :stare:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Haier posted:

I'm the Chinese person getting angry that my antiquated usage of the word "ever" is not easily understood by modern English speakers.

Care to explain? :confused:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I remember that story. Horrifying. It's worse with sound.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
From that same website:
http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/blog/shanghai-and-china/about-china/dutch-ambassador-to-china-suspended-for-allegedly--39982.html

quote:

In a story that's been blowing up the interwebs since Monday, Dutch Ambassador to China Ron Keller is under investigation for apparently sleeping with one of his staff at the Dutch embassy in Beijing. Keller is an experienced diplomat, having served his country in Turkey, Russia and Ukraine and now Beijing where he's been for almost a year.

Foreign diplomats are usually advised against relationships with locals lest they get accused of spying... but that didn't stop Dutch Bill Clinton wannabee from frosting his local colleague's funnel cake.

Who writes this stuff?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, what kind of litmus test do you do to find out your social standing? Should we devise one?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

In Korea the superstition is jumping rope makes you taller, so you see parents/grandparents out forcing little kids to jump rope for hours at a time every night.

Tallest Asians in Asia! (or so they claim). Must be working!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

nickmeister posted:

drat really wish I could remember that guys name. It would be more interesting than this bullshit.

Mark Kitto, auther of China Cuckoo. He also wrote a pretty popular letter int he expat community about why he;s leaving China (they stole his second business and stated threatening his family members).

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

THE PWNER posted:

Duterte is having the "ISn't Ameirca poo poo Lmao?" conversation with China right now. told y'all

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought the stories were entertaining. Not "this makes the thread" level, but Canadians levels of exciting.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The article opens saying 8 out of 10 Iraqis have helped someone... then Myanmar comes in first? Huh?

edit: Also really interesting how the Anglo sphere countries rank so high on that list. Interesting, or Interesting?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm going to do an effort post on why I agree with GBM that learning Chinese is a waste of time:

I started learning Chinese ten years ago. I speak it fairly fluently but am not the greatest...especially now. My reading/writing has decayed from disuse, but I still can do it.

The trap of Chinese language learning is that it's very difficult, the characters are cool, and the perceived value of it is very high. Certain types of people can get very, very sucked in by Chinese--and I am that kind of person. I think I spent a good 3-4 year period where my primary recreational activity was "studying Chinese." It was the thing I did if I had extra time. I'd drill characters for hours at a time, I'd watch Chinese TV shows that I could barely understand with Mandarin subtitles and no English as semi-immersion training. I'd go out of my way to find Chinese people just so I could speak Mandarin in a real situation.

I ended up getting quite good at it very fast--but only because I sunk so much time into it. I self-studied so much over a summer that I tested out of Intermediate Chinese so I could get into the more advanced classes quicker. Studying Chinese basically became the thing I wanted to do and base my entire career around. Of course I didn't know what, exactly, that career would be. Going back to the "high perceived value," when you are studying Chinese everyone you talk to about it acts like it's some great and valuable thing you are doing, and you start to really buy into that as well. I might not have known how exactly "being good at Mandarin" was going to benefit me in life or set a career path for me, but I knew that it would all work itself out.

So from age 20 until 24 or so I was just nerding out and studying Mandarin obsessively before even ever going to a Chinese-speaking country. I was planning to go live in China after I graduated to finish "getting good" at Chinese and becoming really really fluent etc.

I think back on this period and on all the actually useful skills I could have learned in this time. I was working between 15-20 hours per week at my university and online, and I had a scholarship paying my tuition. I had shitloads of free time that I was sinking into learning Chinese. I could have been learning any number of actually valuable skills like writing, coding, math, etc. I could have been learning one of the skills that you can pair together with being super fluent in a language to create real value rather than perceived value. What I failed to realize at the time is that for "being good at Chinese" to actually be a useful skill that is worth the time you put into it, you have to have a base skill and thing you are good at to combine with Chinese fluency. Without that, you are a dumbass who wasted all his time learning a language who has no actual skills. There are millions of people out there who speak Mandarin and English better than you simply because they grew up with both languages. You can work really loving hard for ten years to partially overcome that, and if you are one of the rare people with a REALLY good ear, you MIGHT have pronunciation as good as an American-born Chinese. But you'll never look Chinese enough to overcome being a laowai.

When I got to China, I sort of loved it at first. I felt frustrated though when very few people on the street actually spoke Mandarin in Chongqing. I had just spent all of my time learning Mandarin, only to realize that Mandarin really is a "common language" in that it's something educated people will use to reach a common ground. It's not what is widely spoken all across China in day-to-day interactions. Even my friends in Chongqing who were educated spoke in a mishmash combination of Mandarin and Chonqing dialect, meaning that my immersion and picking up new words was pretty compromised because I could never tell if the tone or sounds of the word I was learning were Mandarin or not.

Skip ahead to the end of my time in China, and I hated it. If you're non-Chinese, you will never be treated like a non-oddity. You will always be a foreigner, regardless of your Mandarin ability. You will always have people shouting "HALOU" at you, you will always have people talking about your nose shape and other super racist stuff right in front of your face as if you can't understand them. Mainland China kind of loving sucks (I can't speak for Taiwan or HK), and learning Mandarin to better understand mainland China will only make you see its faults much more clearly. Keep in mind that you can live and have a decent life in China even if you don't speak Mandarin. Sinking tons of effort and years of your life into becoming proficient at Mandarin is not like learning French or German. It will not allow you to move through society like everyone else and become more integrated. You will NEVER integrate into Chinese society, and you'll probably always have to fight to get people to actually speak to you in Mandarin rather than English.

Add in the fact that Chinese media and entertainment is totally poo poo, and there is even less reason to learn Mandarin. It's almost entirely ripped off from Korean and Japanese pop culture, and anything that isn't is insanely, racistly anti-Japanese. I hope you like watching cartoonish and racist historical accounts of WWII where a lone Chinese hero eviscerates 10 Japanese dogs who piss their pants at the sight of him. There's a few good things in Chinese film and literature, but they are so comparatively far and few between that they cannot possibly justify the time investment.

There are a few highly specialized fields where learning Mandarin would actually make sense. More likely than not learning Mandarin is an awful trap that will very likely waste many years of your life for very little gain. When I got back from China, I was fluent in Mandarin and had a B.S. in Linguistics with no other real skills, so I couldn't find a job and had to work at a grocery store until I found a lovely office job that I worked for five years. My Mandarin ability in that job allowed me to have to deal with more Chinese people (a disadvantage) while not receiving any extra pay over my monolingual coworkers.

Finally, ten years later, I've almost completely disentangled myself with Mandarin and have no interest in getting better at it or speaking it. My wife and I only ever speak English, and her parents speak a lovely dialect that I can't speak or understand, so Mandarin didn't even help me there. I finally also have a job I like that pays well and has nothing to do with China or Mandarin. I could have reached this point in my career path like...eight years earlier...if I had just never bothered learning Mandarin.

If you are learning Mandarin or thinking about learning Mandarin, think of how many skills there are out there that will result in like...$70k+ annual salary after two years of hard work acquiring the skill. There are A LOT of skills like that out there, and Mandarin is not one of them. After two years of hard work on Mandarin, you will be firmly at the "can barely hold together a stilted conversation, and you're proud as gently caress of it" phase of language acquisition.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
That last paragraph is what clinches it. Sorry guys, but learning English if you don't speak it is incredibly valuable compared to the other direction. :shrug:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The language of the little devils exits for China to smash it!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I opened the tab I copied that from and I thought AO came back. :smith:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

serious norman posted:

This only replace China with Russia

Does anyone think this, since the space race?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

/\ Please tell me she got really butthurt that her "pure French" (what every French teacher told us in school) was not recognized as being intelligible.

I'll have you know that all Canadi(a/e)ns are completely bilingual by the time they leave high school in both French and English. Salad Bowl, not a melting pot :smug:

E_P posted:

Were you getting laid before you came to Korea though? I am more getting at the assumption that some 120lb mouth breather with a black tshirt that says No I Wont Fix Your Computer lands in Incheon and is all of a sudden besieged by pussy that FBR and THE PWNER are espousing.
I don't think it so much as makes you a chick magnet so much as it adding 1 to 2 points to your score, and giving alot of people an "in" to start a conversation. As much as I imagine SA as being a place replete with physically fit Olympians, the reality is that most relationships start with just two lonely people being in the right place at the right time.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

The nanosecond you were out of earshot he turned to whoever he was talking to and said, "Wow, the foreigner speaks Korean!"

This, but unironically.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

is that a doctor in a hospital can see one patient a day, or 100, and still makes the same money. He can fill out 300 prescriptions in a day, or none, and still walk away with the same pay.
Must be nice, living in Canada :(

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
You can see her ribcage!!! That means she's unhealthy and starving to death, right? :btroll::911:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
What that in the midd.... no way! lol

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

Im pretty sure fbr is just pro-prc laowai alt anyway

It's obviously a trolling account since it was registered at the end of December of last year (Honestly, who registers for the forums, anymore?) and all of the posts in the entire account are poo poo posts.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

BONGHITZ posted:

Chinese people make good sushi

Koreans make the best Japanese food. Not a fake post.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
First, the chinasmack website, then Hong Kong! Those bastards!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

Seriously?
Seriously. If you want to do a write up, it'd be enlightening. I live in a country that saw the biggest protests since the civil war, and we still invaded Iraq. You'll have to forgive my pessimism.

Also :lol: at that photo. When you said they made a hole, I thought they used glass cutters or something. This is like something out of a 1980s British sitcom.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
They're not... really going to... try to feed that to people, are they?! That's for like displays or something, right? :ohdear:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

Scorpios are the most sexual sign.

:q:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pon de Bundy posted:

i matched with a chinese american girl on tinder from ann arbor mi who clearly wasn't born here because her english was very formal and weird. i felt like i was talking to not a robot, but..she would type 2 paragraphs for something that needed a 1 sentence response.

BAD FOR HEALTHY

That's where I work!

I don't really have anything to add, but someone mentioned a place I live/work in! :v:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

What I have learned in the China thread:

Disgusting expat nerd troglodyte enters the men's showers after eyeballing side pubes BURSTING out of the side of swimsuits. Middle-aged, inscrutable chinaman nong mainlander spits with open cancor sores as well as coughs up phlegm into the next shower stall while it is occupied but nothing happens even though the occupant notices (to save face.)Then a chinaman nong mainlander gawks at the grotesque expat while yelling, "HALLLOU." Simultaneously pissing upwards onto his own bare belly but only after stepping out of the shower stall.

Someone here links the wikipedia of logic not existing in China and also the armchair general pic.

Also Hong Kong is better, and Taiwan is #1.

Please put this in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't want to sully my own post but I would like to also add that Haier gets probated for some reason. FBR and pwned also swoop in and condescend cuntily.

That's kinda meta for an executive summary.

• Locked thread