Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No, they're just sitting there with the little triangle reflector and sometimes the driver is chillaxing nearby. They clearly just broke down. I do see the stripped ones around and they almost always have advertisements for second hand cars on them, oddly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Example.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

a larger version so it can be made fun of even more since most of those are not near this place called asia

A lot of ships are able to move from one place to another in case they are needed. :eng101:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I really think the "omg kids are all in their phones" thing is wildly overblown but man in China and Korea sometimes it seems so true. My students care vastly more about having their phone taken away for a day than literally not being able to go to college.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I can't count the number of dates I've seen where both are on their phones the entire time and not a word is spoken.

I haven't lived in the US since smartphones became common so I don't have a good point of comparison, though. It didn't seem nearly at the same level when I visited last year.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've never been able to get what they're doing all that time. My phone will entertain me for about 20 minutes before I need something else to do. Has everyone else discovered the one phone game that isn't lovely?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm using some of these pics in class next week. I showed Mayan skull deformation and now I can give them an idea what it would look like as a living person.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

East Asian cultures consist entirely of puns and things spun out of puns.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I want TGA to stay so he can post pics of what the office looks like in six months and again in a year.

China has its own laws of physics where entropy occurs faster than anywhere else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

At one of the schools I work at one of the other teachers asked me when I thought it was built, a couple weeks after I'd started. I looked around at the state of the buildings and classrooms and guessed the late 70s, early 80s. It was actually 2010.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

Didnt their efforts to become a superpower consist of paying enormous signing bonuses to foreign players?

It's being pushed everywhere. The school I work at was trying to do some sort of English soccer class bullshit that we all refused to participate in until it went away, and the principal has been trying to force all students to play soccer constantly in order to create the bright Chinese soccer future.

What is "English soccer"? I have no idea and neither did they, but I didn't come here to teach English so nope.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm sure sending kids to boarding school (which seems to be the majority of schools here? Or at least a huge percentage compared to the US) where you are in the classroom from 7:30 AM to 10:00 PM and also there half of Sunday and a lot are stuck in weekend classes is going to produce tons of great athletes. If you just let kids go play sports instead of memorizing textbooks verbatim they'll never be Olympic level.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Scionix posted:

how do you not go fuckign insane living in china and never seeing the honest to god blue sky

Because that's overstated. I was praying for clouds halfway through this summer so it'd cool down. Sunny every day and hot as gently caress.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Here in Sichuan there are a lot of cloudy days. It's nothing to do with pollution it's just cloudy and wet here.

There is also pollution. The thing is the dangerous PM 2.5 stuff is invisible so it can be a bright clear day and still 200 AQI. The appearance and the pollution level sometimes correlate but it's not guaranteed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Brazil's already been wallowing in a pool of poo poo for years so it's developed an immunity.

Anyway pollution season is almost upon us, as the people begin burning the cheapest coal they can find at their homes for heat and the air fills with ash and radiation.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

big time bisexual posted:

Do you do anything to protect yourself against pm2.5 Grand Fromage? Portable air quality monitors? Air filters in the apartment?

My apartment is as sealed up as I can get it and I have a couple air filters that run 24/7. I have never gotten a monitor but there's a noticeable difference in smell/black crud in your nose between indoors and out, so it seems to be working fine. For outside I have one of these:

Which is good but more of a couldn't hurt thing, because at work it is impossible to convince Chinese people to close the windows or to get air filters for the building so you're breathing poo poo all day there.

E: Also I live in Chengdu. Pollution here is bad by the standards of like a real country but for China it isn't that severe. It's not one of those places that pegs the meter at 999 for months. The pollution is mostly during winter and like everyone else, I'll be out of the country for a month of that so that also helps.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 7, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I haven't even gone through one set of filters for it yet.

I do enjoy when Chinese people are mocking me for using it. I don't know if that happens in other cities but in Chengdu people rarely wear masks and when they do they're mostly cheap surgical mask things that do literally nothing at all about pollution. Enjoy your lung cancer I guess? idk

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cumslut1895 posted:

I thought that was to avoid spreading colds

That's a whole other thing and also Japan or Korea, not China.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Vegetable posted:

This mask is for workshop applications. Not sure if it does anything against the PM2.5 crap from coal burning and everything.

The filters describe its usage. PM 2.5 and coal ash are specifically mentioned on it and why I got it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Which filter are you using? Genuinely asking, might need it later this year. I've been sticking with disposable N95 masks.

It's the same sort of filter as those masks I think, says it's P95, just beefier. It seals better on my face, I found the disposables left air gaps around my nose no matter what I did. Says it's the paint respirator supply kit for 6000 or 7500 series masks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fortunately, a lot of airlines are outsourcing their repair and maintenance to China so all the planes are equally chabuduo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dr. Killjoy posted:

This thread a few days ago: :kimchi:
This thread now: :stare:
Happiness is so fleeting in China.

Good name/post combo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I always thought of cats. Don't give a gently caress about anyone they don't know, sleep 20 hours a day on literally any available surface.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Automatic Slim posted:

This thread is obviously the best of the worst, but I don't see how a society can't implode with this type of behavior.

It helps when the government doesn't give a gently caress about the citizens and the citizens don't give a gently caress about anyone outside their immediate circle, and a healthy number of those only give a gently caress about their circle because they are resources to be exploited

Also when you have no long-term thinking so you don't care if it's unsustainable

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Great Autismo! posted:

but the inscrutable Chinese always play the long game I was told

that's what makes it so inscrutable :eyepop:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I tried people nearby to see if I could have fun Haier stories of my own but after several days I've concluded it's literally 100% prostitute advertisements. I have found nothing else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

nickmeister posted:

As for the whole "word salad" thing in essays, I've heard Chinese essays tend to be graded on how many 4-character "chengyus" (idioms) that are used.

This is also at least part of how the English essays on the gaokao are graded. The students memorize a bunch of random idioms and use as many as possible. When they write actual essays for me this is one of the ways it's complete garbage.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

JacksAngryBiome posted:

There are some Chinese grad students in my lab who spend lunch chewing loudly with their mouth open and wetly smack their lips with each bite. It is loving disgusting.

Is this a cultural thing? All of China? Areas of China? Just these guys?

Pretty normal in China and Korea, to the point where I've tried to explain to students that when they go to the US they need to not do this and some cannot understand how it's possible to eat quietly.

There are even situations where being loud and slurping and stuff are considered polite. But sometimes I've also had Koreans deny that anyone eats loudly in Korea and say it's very rude even if we're in a restaurant surrounded by people slurping and it turns into one of the Asia twilight zone things

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Those reports also usually accept the test scores uncritically. Even if you believe standardized test scores are useful, they're usually fake numbers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Koramei posted:

I mean I find it gross too but you guys realize there's really nothing actually wrong with chewing with your mouth open right? It's just cultural differences.txt. For all the mocking of Chinese people's dumb hangups, this is basically the same thing.

To an extent yes, but I'm also regularly told my people in Asia that it's rude to eat with your mouth open and that Chinese/Korean people never do it, even when we are currently surrounded by people doing it and it happens every day.

I only make a deal about it with my 12th graders who are moving to the US for college, since the point of the class I teach them is about US culture and how to get along living there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Better look at those standard ladders.

Some chabuduo window replacement.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Vegetable posted:

I don't know how you can think mainlanders are loud when American tourists are notorious for talking way too loudly

Because they are. Mainlanders and Koreans (particularly in the southeast where I lived) are waaaaaaay louder than Americans. It's not even a contest.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Potrzebie posted:

Fair enough, then I only find it quite a lot to ask, as "culture" is not very easy to understand as a temporary visitor abroad. Sure, big things as "do not poo poo on sidewalk" should be easy to follow, but the details, like "when toasting an elder, make sure that the top of your glass is below the top of the elders, or be disrespectful" is not an obvious thing to follow.

Most people are pretty forgiving of those detailed ones, though. You get a certain leeway as a visiting outsider, and in my experience that leeway exists everywhere. You get occasional dicks but you have to factor in the assholes anywhere. It's the basic decency stuff like don't poo poo on the sidewalk directly outside a bathroom that causes the trouble.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

You must be deaf to your own accent because you lot are much worse. You can always hear the American coming from half a mile away, even over a crowds of drunk tuhaos, and they never stop talking either.

Nope. I've gotten to the point where I'm incapable of tuning out anyone speaking English because I hear it so rarely. There are loud Americans obviously but as a whole I would rank loudness:

China
Korea/Vietnam
Australia
UK
US
Everybody else is somewhere down here with Japan at the bottom.

List is limited to groups I've been around enough to say.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've been told by Chinese people that they speak so loudly because the tones and there are so many homophones it can be hard to understand someone if they aren't screaming. I also have a pet theory that the country is just so loving loud all the time in general that everyone has hearing damage. People's Park in Chengdu is the loudest place on the entire planet and just in general I encounter places so loud it causes me physical pain regularly. Korea's the same way. Noise pollution doesn't exist as a concept.

Like I regularly have to stop listening to podcasts/audiobooks because even with my headphones on at maximum volume, I can't hear it at all over the level of noise around me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

KomodoWagon posted:

Then you go to Hong Kong or Taiwan and realize they're full of poo poo.

Yeah. I wasn't agreeing, it's just something I've been told many times. I've never met anyone IRL who denies how loud people speak here, Chinese or otherwise.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Weird alternate universe. I lived 25 years in the US and don't think I ever met anyone with a speaking volume comparable to old people on the phone on a bus in China. I 100% do not believe you heard someone three floors above you unless you were living in a cardboard box. Even Chinese apartment buildings aren't that poorly soundproofed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Worse than the bus is the elevator since the call cuts out, being that it's an elevator, and then it's just screaming WEI?! over and over for the entire ride at ear-splitting volume.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ladron posted:

I can totally back this part up as happening in korea, only the person was a like like 6'2 300+lb black woman and it wasn't just a couple floors, it was basically the whole building (and any classrooms next to hers, I heard, too)

Hmm all right, if there's multiple examples maybe I've just been lucky. My building I can't even hear construction unless it's literally directly above or below me, it's nice and quiet.

Korea had more apartment noise. Here there's not drunk people hanging around outside the window screaming at their top of their lungs for an hour or two every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Yeah the guy in my building was a massive fella too, big lungs. He had a heart attack one day and our building wasnt tall enough for an elevator. The little old man driving the ambulance, two tiny nurses, the old lady from downstairs and me tried to carry him down but that wasnt going to happen, he had to walk down himself.

Having a serious medical problem like that here is terrifying.

• Locked thread