Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

nerdz posted:

When I was a kid, my aunt married to an american who came by to visit every once in a while. He would eat with his mouth open and generally be really gross about it. I grew up with the notion that all americans ate like gross people like that but then realized he was just a goon.

where are you from (that I may mock it with my big strong freedom)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

You must be deaf to your own accent because you lot are much worse. You can always hear the American coming from half a mile away, even over a crowds of drunk tuhaos, and they never stop talking either.

Nope. I've gotten to the point where I'm incapable of tuning out anyone speaking English because I hear it so rarely. There are loud Americans obviously but as a whole I would rank loudness:

China
Korea/Vietnam
Australia
UK
US
Everybody else is somewhere down here with Japan at the bottom.

List is limited to groups I've been around enough to say.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

ladron posted:

where are you from (that I may mock it with my big strong freedom)?

Brazil

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hey, speaking of loud as gently caress people who will never shut up...

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Brazil? More like Nofreedomzil! Amirite fellas?

KomodoWagon posted:

drat, outta nowhere...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've been told by Chinese people that they speak so loudly because the tones and there are so many homophones it can be hard to understand someone if they aren't screaming. I also have a pet theory that the country is just so loving loud all the time in general that everyone has hearing damage. People's Park in Chengdu is the loudest place on the entire planet and just in general I encounter places so loud it causes me physical pain regularly. Korea's the same way. Noise pollution doesn't exist as a concept.

Like I regularly have to stop listening to podcasts/audiobooks because even with my headphones on at maximum volume, I can't hear it at all over the level of noise around me.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grand Fromage posted:

I've been told by Chinese people that they speak so loudly because the tones and there are so many homophones it can be hard to understand someone if they aren't screaming.

Then you go to Hong Kong or Taiwan and realize they're full of poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

KomodoWagon posted:

Then you go to Hong Kong or Taiwan and realize they're full of poo poo.

Yeah. I wasn't agreeing, it's just something I've been told many times. I've never met anyone IRL who denies how loud people speak here, Chinese or otherwise.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Spanish people are incredibly loud. Louder than those sandal and sock wearing americans.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

JaucheCharly posted:

Louder than those sandal and sock wearing americans.

we're also all like super orca fat

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

KomodoWagon posted:

The first time I traveled overseas I was amazed at how easy it was to spot Brazilians out in the open, even without listening to them. Usually they're harder to spot because there's not exactly a Brazilian ethnicity due to all the miscegenation going on and white people being the ones with the most money to travel outside the country. They were the people that would dress completely different from everyone else (usually with flashy brands that are considered expensive in Brazil but are cheap as gently caress in the US) and with other distinctive accessories such as Barcelona soccer shirts and white baseball caps with Oakley sunglasses on top of them.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 13, 2016

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
大妈 answering the phone on the bus is probably the loudest thing in China and is about equal to Americans normal volume level. In my last apartment building there was an American 3 floors above me and I could hear him talking quite clearly, anyone who moved into the apartments two floors above or below him would move out as soon as possible.

The worst one was a guy I used to work with who would call me at random hours and ask questions about politics, I could just put the phone down as if it was on speaker phone and I didn't really have to say anything since he wouldn't shut up. Thinking about it pretty much every person I've had a problem with here has been an American, rarely anyone Chinese.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Grand Fromage posted:

Nope. I've gotten to the point where I'm incapable of tuning out anyone speaking English because I hear it so rarely. There are loud Americans obviously but as a whole I would rank loudness:

China
Korea/Vietnam
Australia
UK
US
Everybody else is somewhere down here with Japan at the bottom.

List is limited to groups I've been around enough to say.

India is way at the top

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Weird alternate universe. I lived 25 years in the US and don't think I ever met anyone with a speaking volume comparable to old people on the phone on a bus in China. I 100% do not believe you heard someone three floors above you unless you were living in a cardboard box. Even Chinese apartment buildings aren't that poorly soundproofed.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I went to the British museum on Tuesday and it turns out Chinese people really like ignoring barriers and "do not manhandle the 3000 year old relic" signs

The museum even has dedicated "you may manhandle this ancient relic under supervision" tables which is loving cool. I got to touch s little Roman metal house god statue

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Old chinese ladies answering their phones is louder than a loving bomb going off inside a jet engine. I'd be annoyed if I wasn't so awe-struck at the fortitude of their vocal cords.

plain blue jacket posted:

I went to the British museum on Tuesday and it turns out Chinese people really like ignoring barriers and "do not manhandle the 3000 year old relic" signs

Don't get me loving started. Last time I was there there was a loving Chinese school on a trip, bunch of 10-12-year-old Chinese kids with loving snot all over their faces and hands grabbing and stroking and punching(wtf?) ancient Egyptian sculptures. An employee tried to get the teacher to stop them, but of course she pretended not to speak English.

KomodoWagon fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 13, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Worse than the bus is the elevator since the call cuts out, being that it's an elevator, and then it's just screaming WEI?! over and over for the entire ride at ear-splitting volume.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

I 100% do not believe you heard someone three floors above you unless you were living in a cardboard box. Even Chinese apartment buildings aren't that poorly soundproofed.

I can totally back this part up as happening in korea, only the person was a like like 6'2 300+lb black woman and it wasn't just a couple floors, it was basically the whole building (and any classrooms next to hers, I heard, too)

plain blue jacket posted:

Chinese people really like ignoring barriers and "do not manhandle the 3000 year old relic" signs

welcome to earth

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grand Fromage posted:

Worse than the bus is the elevator since the call cuts out, being that it's an elevator, and then it's just screaming WEI?! over and over for the entire ride at ear-splitting volume.

Then some other jackass tries to open the doors midway through the ride because no why, the elevator stops and it's 5,000 years of WEI?!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ladron posted:

I can totally back this part up as happening in korea, only the person was a like like 6'2 300+lb black woman and it wasn't just a couple floors, it was basically the whole building (and any classrooms next to hers, I heard, too)

Hmm all right, if there's multiple examples maybe I've just been lucky. My building I can't even hear construction unless it's literally directly above or below me, it's nice and quiet.

Korea had more apartment noise. Here there's not drunk people hanging around outside the window screaming at their top of their lungs for an hour or two every night.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
since quite a few people itt have lived there is thailand about to kick off again now the king's just died?

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Nah they have a pretty solid line of succession so it's gonna be all harmony and extremely colorful parties probably. Also the new king's name is Vagina Longcorn.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Isn't the current heir an astounding buffoon whose reign is likely to result in the military ending the monarchy

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the king of thailand is dead. everybody better cry OR ELSE

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

KomodoWagon posted:

Nah they have a pretty solid line of succession so it's gonna be all harmony and extremely colorful parties probably. Also the new king's name is Vagina Longcorn.

The old kings name sounded like "rubber ball" in swedish, we're gonna miss ole gummiboll.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Rendezvous with Rama X

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Hmm all right, if there's multiple examples maybe I've just been lucky. My building I can't even hear construction unless it's literally directly above or below me, it's nice and quiet.

Korea had more apartment noise. Here there's not drunk people hanging around outside the window screaming at their top of their lungs for an hour or two every night.

Yeah the guy in my building was a massive fella too, big lungs. He had a heart attack one day and our building wasnt tall enough for an elevator. The little old man driving the ambulance, two tiny nurses, the old lady from downstairs and me tried to carry him down but that wasnt going to happen, he had to walk down himself.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hemophilia posted:

Isn't the current heir an astounding buffoon whose reign is likely to result in the military ending the monarchy

I see.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hemophilia posted:

Not sure about that, but then again I'm not hugely invested in Thai affairs. As far as I understand it, any threat to the monarchy is seen as a satanic act of treason, not unlike Lucifer's rebellion against God.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
I think its the other way round, having the kings support was helping to prop up the military.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

I think its the other way round, having the kings support was helping to prop up the military.

it's this. the military gets to round up all the democracy activists and claim they were threatening the king. also criticizing the king or his station is punishable by jail time

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's kind of a two-way street. Ordinary Thais love the monarchy like the Norks love Kim Jong, and the military use this love and their connection to the monarchy to legitimize their own power.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

The old kings name sounded like "rubber ball" in swedish, we're gonna miss ole gummiboll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3AeQu7JK_8

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah the guy in my building was a massive fella too, big lungs. He had a heart attack one day and our building wasnt tall enough for an elevator. The little old man driving the ambulance, two tiny nurses, the old lady from downstairs and me tried to carry him down but that wasnt going to happen, he had to walk down himself.

Having a serious medical problem like that here is terrifying.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It's probably just from the time I spent in (coincidentally) Thailand but Brits are almost exponentially louder and more obnoxious than Americans. So are Israelis, but I think that's a sampling issue.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Just had a China moment! Some guy stopped at the door of the restaurant I'm eating at, took up a cat pose, meowed a bit, did some squats, licked his 'paws' and then just walked off as if nothing happened.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Smashing story, lad

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The restaurant by my school we get lunch at normally has kittens a couple times a year, so today we ate good food and pet three or four week old kittens that the owner brought out for us to play with.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Just had a China moment! Some guy stopped at the door of the restaurant I'm eating at, took up a cat pose, meowed a bit, did some squats, licked his 'paws' and then just walked off as if nothing happened.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Pirate Radar posted:

It's probably just from the time I spent in (coincidentally) Thailand but Brits are almost exponentially louder and more obnoxious than Americans. So are Israelis, but I think that's a sampling issue.

In a previous China thread, Sheep-Goats mentioned the poor reputation Israeli backpackers have while traveling abroad:

Sheep-Goats posted:

Honestly it was justified.

I knew a few Isrealis in New York and one in Vegas and they were fine but most of the ones going to SEA are fresh out of their required military service and were the trashiest, cheapest, rudest bunch of uncultured shits I've ever encountered.

There was (probably still is) an Israeli style restaurant called Shoshanna in Bangkok that I would go to to get fixed on hummus and shakshuga and sometimes the owner was just beaten down in there from having to deal with the stream of those loving jerkoffs that came in there. Same with the lady that ran the internet cafe upstairs.

• Locked thread