Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Why not take it to the extreme and have a picture of a black man and the title nigeria-taxi or something? I mean might as well play all the fears and prejudices of China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

brb setting up gps-spoofed uber in shenzen

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

JaucheCharly posted:

Mosquitos larvae live in water. No stagnant water, no mosquitos. Besides, you rarely or never get some if you live higher up.

No stagnant water. China.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Not contaminating your fresh water sources is less convoluted though.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Imagine all the way things in the air also condensed along with the water.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jonny 290 posted:

Here's China's radiotelescope

Here's Arecibo

You will notice the rather large disparity in technology at the dish focus, which is where the magic happens. Anybody can slap together a square km of sheet metal and pick up some decommissioned high tension lines. Arecibo has liquid helium cooling their focus antennas to a degree or two Kelvin. I do not believe the Chinese are neck and neck here

Are radio exclusion zones useful for this kind of radio-telescopegraphy?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Gonna have to pass on that soup.

Don't have to, it'll al go down that hole in the middle.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

15 donations, if a donation size is 450 mL (which is pretty standard) then that's a lot of blood. How is it possible not to be in a coma after that?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Accretionist posted:

SUB-DIVIDED FLATS, HONG KONG:

I have a hard time sympathizing with this level of HDR.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

5,000 posts of teasing

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Why would anyone check near or otherwise accept such anarchy as status quo?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

When "how many people have you let into this bridge" meets "I just sell tickets".

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Great Autismo! posted:

(...) but you should always be ready to leave...always.

This really is a general rule for all third world (or developing) nations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fojar38 posted:

Civilization 6 is coming out soon, and I wonder how hard their built in Civlopedia will suck China's dick this time

I've never tried opening the civpedia since it kept crashing my system in CIV IV. How bad is the china dicksucking?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cold milk and soft rice sounds more like chilled rice pudding than ice cream.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqmbLYWAki4

I have no idea what this is. I felt I needed to share it. It's very dramatic.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Team China - 5000 years of Three Kingdoms Puppet Theatre

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Away all Goats posted:

china doesn't give a poo poo about japans lovely little fleet either. There is one reason and one reason only China isn't gobbling up every little island in the pacific and why most of the world isnt complete poo poo

lol yes they do since japan has a functional blue water navy and officers with good training. A navy who does exersizes with the unnamed country and korea all the time. plan also, last time I checked, have innovative damage control features such as real wood and carpets in officer sections of their ships.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

amerikah has marines to plunge in the brown waters

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Grand Fromage posted:

I can't count the number of dates I've seen where both are on their phones the entire time and not a word is spoken.

I haven't lived in the US since smartphones became common so I don't have a good point of comparison, though. It didn't seem nearly at the same level when I visited last year.

I can't comment on the US but if the EU is any indication people can still talk to each other and if your date is glued to his or her phone you just politely leave.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Gorilla Salad posted:

This was in the AUG thread, but it's too horrifying not to share.

They look like the humanoid robots from Alien.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It's mainly turtles? What does that mean?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Grand Fromage posted:

My apartment is as sealed up as I can get it and I have a couple air filters that run 24/7. I have never gotten a monitor but there's a noticeable difference in smell/black crud in your nose between indoors and out, so it seems to be working fine. For outside I have one of these:

Which is good but more of a couldn't hurt thing, because at work it is impossible to convince Chinese people to close the windows or to get air filters for the building so you're breathing poo poo all day there.

E: Also I live in Chengdu. Pollution here is bad by the standards of like a real country but for China it isn't that severe. It's not one of those places that pegs the meter at 999 for months. The pollution is mostly during winter and like everyone else, I'll be out of the country for a month of that so that also helps.

KomodoWagon posted:

I would wear this thing constantly if I had to go to China for some reason, even as I slept

These masks are only rated for 3-4 hours of continual use (in scandi country) so you may wanna consider this.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Question: Why are the three kingdom period done again and again as movies? Is it rich in many narratives to portray or?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

What sort of answers do they provide when asked what made them pick the wines?

Also just realized that instead of asking a person "Why did you do that?" you should ask "What made you do that?". I learned this from the This American Life podcast from NPR where a teacher in a school for autistic children uses this to great effect.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

We need a new golden age of privateering. 100 USD for each chinese flag off a sunken fisherman.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Naw see that would be appropriation and that's racist.

Actually isn't Vietnamese food inherently problematic because it appropriated French cooking techniques and dishes and made their own?

Appropriately delicious.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Guardian posted:

But for many students, the most intimidating element is the essay in the Chinese exam. Students are given an hour to write on one of two prompts, which are often infuriatingly elliptical. Prompts in 2015 included “Do butterfly wings have colours?” and “Who do you admire the most? A biotechnology researcher, a welding engineering technician or a photographer?”. This summer, Yuan Qi’s choice was between “Old accent” and “Mysterious bookmark”. (He picked old accent.)

It's interesting that the most difficult part of their exam is tied to making a concise argument.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Vegetable posted:

What the gently caress, how is "Do butterfly wings have colours?" a valid essay question? How do you answer that other than saying just "yes"?

One could argue that while butterfly wings may be perceived as having colors, which colors do they have? The ones assigned to them by a human with our terribly flawed vision when it comes to the electromagnetic spectrum, the one of a dog which has an even worse vision or perhaps the superior vision of our robot overlords?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

888/10

0/10 see me after class.

0/10 you are destined to be a pig farmer.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Great Autismo! posted:

furthermore, when i asked them why they didn't use the hundreds of pictures and information that they paid me for and then gave me over ten thousand dollars to use to go do, the girl said "we just decided to use Baidu images"

Is reverse image search not A Thing ?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

THE PWNER posted:

I can kind of sympathise with "foreigner steal our women!" considering the one child policy left china with like 50 million more men than women. That's 50 million men who'll die alone.

It's a convenient narrative compared to calling it lovely culture of wanting boys meets terrible CCP policy.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Having sex with random women in your neighborhood in a country you live and work in is hardly if at all sex tourism.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

rear end cobra posted:

Sounds like a mediocre Black Mirror episode

Season 3, episode 1 to be precise.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Korea's Women's liberation movement can't come soon enough :smith:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

These stories are all cool and good, please never stop.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Could she ever tell you her real age now? Then she wouldn't be playing crazy hosed up games.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

maybe she just has a big ol' vagina

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

JaucheCharly posted:

We need that greentext reposted, warning not to learn mandarin.

Here you go, heed the wall of green text: http://imgur.com/lrNHGbS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Imperialist Dog posted:

I was really into Japan when I was young and stupider, so I learned Japanese pretty quickly. When I was in Japan I quickly became disillusioned and thought that I should have learned Mandarin instead because China had a Growing Economy. I ended up moving to Hong Kong and found I liked Cantonese instead. I still wish my Mandarin was better but literally the only use I have for it is communicating with my in-laws.

One of the observations from Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China was that bosses spoke Cantonese, while lowly workers spoke mandarin. As I'm writing this it's made clearer by my browsers dictionary, in which Cantonese is capitalized while mandarin is not.

• Locked thread