Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

Night10194 posted:

You'll often see Christian sects deny that the OT matters much despite the fact that in Matthew Christ says he came to fulfill, not abolish, the Law.

I mean in fairness, there are tons of parts of Deuteronomy I think are bullshit or crazy, because it's the moral and ethical laws for the nobility of an ancient pastoral culture, but anyone who doesn't notice the emphasis on the idea that even in the harsher and more legalistic old books the Lord hammers that the powerful have an obligation to defend the powerless and to recall that they are fortunate to be wealthy and well fed (and thus extend their wealth to the community and common good) is a bastard.

See, this is interesting to me. I went to a lot of catholic schools growing up, like the kind run by nuns level of catholic. And I was told multiple times over many years by different nuns that the OT basically "was historical but didn't apply unless you are Jewish" and it was the NT that actually mattered.

Mind you, I have no idea how accurate this is from a theological standpoint it is... but it definitely makes it funny to me when I see "christians" quoting the OT to base their hate.

edit: from what I can remember (its been awhile!) the rationale was based on the old/new covenant deal. That the OT was the old covenant, and that Jesus was here to start the new covenant (rendering the old one N/A).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

:ssh: fentanyl results come back under "opioids" :ssh:

Just the most absolutely presidential people.

Actually... they don't! Or at least....some tests don't. The standard urine drug screen hospitals do (or all the ones I've worked out anyway) does not test for synthetic opiods. They CAN do a more comprehensive screen but it costs more and takes longer so usually if there is no suspicion they don't bother.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Jesus christ freep, clover ape?

That one took me a second to parse. That's a slur on Irish I assume? What the hell...

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Reading Gulag Archipelago was such an important and just profound moment in my life. I get so pissed when I see this angry ignorant fucks quoting him.

(I really hope Solzhenitsyn didn't become a wierd fascist later.)

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Solzhenitsyn is the Kevin Spacey of historical literature.

He produced some really great work, but was a terrible person.

drat.