Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Martytoof posted:

Ah yes, the time honoured “I’m drawing a line down the middle of the house, everything on my side is mine, stay on your own side” approach to governance. I do believe this worked well in I Love Lucy therefore —

My mum and aunt did this with their bedroom when they were kids. Unfortunately for my aunt my mum's side had the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
God I wondered if there'd be some reaction to that AOC story posted in here, and it was just as execrable as my cynical, jaded old bastard of a mind had imagined.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

McGlockenshire posted:

Why do we read freep when we don't like what they post? I do it because I hate myself and I want to suffer, dunno about you.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah I read freep (via this thread) to remind myself how utterly unrepentant these people are. It reminds me to never waste any effort on trying to convince these fascists that fascism is bad.

I sometimes question why I read this thread (and why I've had a couple of trips over to its subject website in the past). I'm not even American. I guess there's a car crash element to it, to see how awful humans can be. I'm sure there's a masochistic dimension to it. I find myself reading the rejected parents and r/relationships threads too, which are brimming with awful fuckers.

I'd say it was informative, but I don't think it is - I'm already aware how what their unpleasant reactions will be to any given topic, and there's little in the way of cohesive arguments to absorb and understand in the way that might be useful if you were debating people you disagreed with but had a somewhat rational perspective you could actually grapple with.

There's definitely a bit of schadenfreude involved, too, seeing them impotently stewing about consequences for lovely actions. I'd be less (read, not at all) likely to go on there if, god forbid Trump were to somehow win next year.

I sometimes find myself wondering if stupidity or awfulness is the greater in these American Christian far right types; both elements seem to be there in such large quantities with them.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 29, 2023

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hamas, famous feminists

Also, am I going crazy or have they gotten really mask off about racism these days? No more wink wink "amish" or "canadians," they just flat out state they hate black people?

And then remind you that the original Klan was demonrats, founded by Killary and Pelosi, ofc

With the caveat that my exposure comes entirely from the posts curated for this thread, this seems the case to me, too. Like, they weren't subtle about it before, but it seems they've gone from implicitly racist snideness to flat out "blacks are all X" where X is something very negative.

Some of the comments I've seen in here recently amazed me; it seems that like Trump they keep finding new depths to plumb. The old thread title "there is always more and it is always worse" was one of the most aposite I've ever seen on this forum, and it rings in my head still when reading their godawful posts.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
It's hilarious how the many, many sleeper agents infesting the purity of their ranks are always gay in their world. Though I'm surprised to not learn that he's also a Satanist.