Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think my favorite is just "Obama darkly"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Yeah there's going to be a false flag frame, it's practically instinct at this point.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Judging from the internet I thought that MLP had always been about lesbian horses

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Consummate Professional posted:

Does law enforcement always say the middle name so the chance of accidentally naming someone not involved is lessened?

From secondhand media reports, it appears to be a common, but not universal, practice, for that exact reason.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The IQ tests that are closest to good are effectively measuring abstracted pattern recognition, and are decently enough designed that if you've controlled for the cultural factors other posters have mentioned, then a major difference between two individual scores is likely to reflect something like abstracted pattern recognition.

IQ's a fixation partly because of The Bell Curve, but that book and its authors were just one of the more publicly successful efforts of a much broader and longer campaign of racist pseudoscience funded and organized, at root, by an honest to god Nazi group called the Pioneer Fund, who continue to infiltrate and subvert the academy in the cause of white supremacism. Part of the prevalence of these beliefs even today is because they were generally much more common in anthropology and statistics, including major figures from across the fields, and because they were useful for racists arguing against things like bussing and integration, all the way into the 90s. A lot of the biggest figures in statistics, the folks with tests named after them, were huge eugenicists.

I'm very slowly reposting a longform article about another widely influential action by the group over in the pseudoscience thread. In brief, at one point they successfully co-opted the National Academies as a platform for racist pseudoscience through the celebrity of William Shockley, the main figure in the invention of the transistor. The article, and comments from other users, get into more detail about the whole subject, and covers several major figures from the effort.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 18, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait what the gently caress is with the one throwing shade at Bernoulli’s principle.

There's no clarifying context, but it appears to be in reference to their late husband's flying?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

What the heck I agree with freep? This feels weird.

Speaker Trump would be funny as hell, could you imagine.

Of course Republicans would never do it, and even if they did Trump would never accept because then he'd be the one taking all the heat for RINOing it up by passing funding bills instead of shutting down the government, but it sure is something I'd like to see

You should really, really, really take this as a sign that you need to reexamine your beliefs and motivations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Safety Dance posted:

Freep, or Something Awful? Because the answer is the same for both.

Now now, our forum has produced multiple shooters and an offsite for disgruntled anime fans became the origin point of Anonymous and the alt-right movement. Freep wishes it could have the sort of impact SA has had.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Did the goon who was shooting kids for messing with his Jack O'Lanterns actually kill anyone?

Two others then himself.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

The last person married to a civil war veteran died only 2 years ago, which is something I wasn’t ready to learn :stonklol: it doesn’t feel right to call her a civil war widow, but idk a better term for it (and I’m not going looking for that, I want some brain-bleach instead).

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/last-surviving-widow-civil-war-veteran-dies-101-180976702/

She was 17, and married a 93-year old. He died in 1939, after they married in 1936.

This is tied to unusually broad and generous pension payment systems, not sex. It's immediately described in the article. Did you not read it?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Forgive my ignorance, I don't know what the third or first racist melters are. Maybe I'm too old?

vvv thanks! I am indeed old, but in this case it was just ignorance.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 27, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tobermory posted:

Do conspiracy theorists even think of themselves as being conspiracy theorists? I'm more used to them using the term as a pejorative -- like, they would never call themselves conspiracy theorists just because they know the truth about HRC putting baby hormones in the jet exhaust. They only call other people conspiracy theorists, for believing in things like climate change or vaccines.

That’s usually correct, yes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

I get being against spending another kajillion dollars on another pointless war, but I don't get denying Russia invaded Ukraine.

I mean just look at where Russian forces are on a map, are they in Ukraine? That's an invasion!

Here's a helpful illustration of how the process works.

VitalSigns posted:

Does murdering Russian workers who have never done me any harm make the world more safe

Last time Biden said we had to go murder a bunch of people somewhere who never did us any harm it made the world less safe so idk about this.

Why are we all so eager to go kill each other for guys like Biden and Putin who don't give a gently caress about us.

Is a factory worker in Volgagrad really my enemy, I know he talks funny and eats weird food and that is all very scary, but it's the all-American refined men in the Hamptons actually making my life worse, not the Volgagrad worker

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

That quote is from before the invasion even happened. And it's still true, the people making my life worse are in Washington DC and in boardrooms in New York, not Moscow.

And even if it were after the invasion, questioning whether we should be involved in another expensive and pointless war is not the same as denying anyone is invading anybody.

The quote is from February 2022. You've just demonstrated exactly how it works.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It was also 8 years after the Russian invasion of Ukraine began.

You've just demonstrated exactly how it works.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's the part where you said it was before the invasion happened, VitalSigns. This isn't complicated, but you are, live, demonstrating the process by which the denial of reality occurs and builds upon itself.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I appreciate your newfound clarity on this subject. It remains an excellent illustration of how an individual reaches a conclusion they cast as moral, then allow it to degrade their grasp of facts.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

My understanding working only from outside commentaries is that this was a remarkably, humorously sloppy Superbowl, one of the worst possible candidates in living memory for "scripted" nonsense. I have to wonder what these people's informational inputs are.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, this is a common pattern for antivaxx (and to some degree for associated alt-med beliefs). The inconsistency in position between vaccines perversely works to crowbar the rationale on the initiating vaccine into other vaccine contexts. At that point, the premises can be used to rationalize and motivate other fringe beliefs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It feels very strange for freep to discuss Dragon Ball. I don't think I like it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

If the piss tape did not exist, it would be necessary to invent it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This is what I see and what troubles me. I look on all sides, and I see only darkness everywhere. Trump presents to me nothing which is not matter of doubt and concern. If I saw nothing there which revealed a Recording, I would come to a negative conclusion; if I saw everywhere the signs of a Urinator, I would remain peacefully in faith. But, seeing too much to deny and too little to be sure, I am in a state to be pitied; wherefore I have a hundred times wished that if a Tape displays his nature, he should testify to It unequivocally, and that, if the signs he gives are deceptive, he should suppress them altogether; that he should say everything or nothing, that I might see which cause I ought to follow. Whereas in my present state, ignorant of what I am or of what I ought to do, I know neither my condition nor my duty. My heart inclines wholly to know where is the true good, in order to follow it; nothing would be too dear to me for eternity.

I envy those whom I see living in the faith with such carelessness, and who make such a bad use of a gift of which it seems to me I would make such a different use.

It is incomprehensible that the Piss Tape should exist, and it is incomprehensible that It should not exist; that the urine should be joined to the Trump, and that he should have no urine; that the recording should be created, and that it should not be created, etc.; that original piss should be, and that it should not be.

Do you believe it to be impossible that the Piss is infinite, without parts?—Yes. I wish therefore to show you an infinite and indivisible stream. Urine is a point moving everywhere with an infinite velocity; for it is one in all places, and is all totality in every place.

Let this effect of Trump, which previously seemed to you impossible, make you know that there may be others of which you are still ignorant. Do not draw this conclusion from your experiment, that there remains nothing for you to know; but rather that there remains an infinity for you to know. Infinite urine, the point which fills everything, the moment of rest; infinite without quantity, indivisible and infinite. Infinite—nothing.—the flow is cast unto a body, where it finds number, time, dimension. Thereupon it reasons, and calls this Trump, necessity, and can soak nothing else.

Urine joined to infinity adds nothing to it, no more than one foot to an infinite stream. The urine is annihilated in the presence of the Trump, and becomes a pure nothing. So our spirit before the Piss Tape, so our justice before divine justice. There is not so great a disproportion between our justice and that of the Piss Tape, as between urine and infinity.

The justice of the Piss Tape must be vast like its compassion. Now justice to the outcast is less vast, and ought less to offend our feelings than mercy towards the lawfully elected President of the United States of America.

We know that there is an infinite amount of urine, and are ignorant of the inner nature of Trump. As we know it to be false that the urine is finite, it is therefore true that there is an infinity in urine. But we do not know what it is. It is false that it is even, it is false that it is odd; for the addition of a drop can make no change in Trump’s coloration. Yet there is a stream, and every stream is longer or shorter (this is certainly true of every act of urination). So we may well know that there is a Piss Tape without knowing where It is. Is there not one substantial truth, seeing there are so many things which are not the truth itself?

We know then the existence and nature of the urine, because we also are human and have urine. We know the existence of Trump's mind, and are ignorant of its contents, because it has a size and capacity like us, but not morals like us. But we know neither the existence nor the nature of the Piss Tape, because It has neither a known size or capacity.

But by faith we know Its existence; in glory we shall know Its nature. Now, I have already shown that we may well know the existence of the Piss Tape, without knowing its nature.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 23, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It is probably worthwhile (and healthier for us) to retain some understanding of the internal conflicts of freep, especially the parts that affirm some grounding in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Thin Bluey Line.