Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

SocketWrench posted:

Edit; Apparently Trump is also bringing Patricia Smith, the one from the Benghazi hype that's mad at Clinton for doing her job. I swear, sometimes I wish we could just kick everyone out that was involved in any way with that bullshit lie so we wouldn't have to hear it again...but then I guess they'd just invent a new lie to mention constantly without questioning.
Isn't that Vilerat's mom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Potato Salad posted:

omg I can't believe there are 90 billion illegal immigrants in California! probably more!!
Yeah, 22 million seems like a weirdly specific gross overestimate. I wonder where she got that from?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

VitalSigns posted:

I would love to see how the blinding was done
'The, uh, ethics board has some, uh, questions.'

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Pontius Pilate posted:

Not exactly the right place to ask but it seems in the spirit of the thread and we’re all sick here: I recently finished cyrano’s Ghost thread and with it all the recaps of patriot fiction and right wing trash literature that I know of. The Bracken thread here, that retroism (?) civil war nonsense offsite, and, of course, the wonderful Left Behind recaps. Please tell me there’s untapped insanity in this genre!
Do you have a link to the threads on this here site?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Ague Proof posted:

And that's terrible
I laughed, because I am Old.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Guavanaut posted:

If you bought fancy tonic water that actually uses cinchona bark and not a microscopic pinch of quinine powder, you'd only have to drink about 6 liters a day to have some medical effect.

Some medical effect can include deafness and loss of balance though.
That latter bit also happens with 6 litres of gin.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Yeah, any theoretical effect for hydroxychloroquine is also secondary to its usual mode of action - it supposedly lowers lysosomal pH which inhibits viral release.

Both it and azithromycin are biologically plausible as effective against a viral illness... barely. I'd need a lot more evidence on either before saying it's effective at all, and in terms of where research for treatment should be directed you'd probably get a lot more mileage out of traditional antivirals.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
https://twitter.com/NoNameBrands/status/1273031169999855616?s=19

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Question about TheDonald: what do they mean by GEOTUS in reference to Trump? Or do I want to know?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

davecrazy posted:

God Emperor of the United States

It's a Warhammer 40k reference I think.
What in the absolute hell this world is deeply stupid.

Forget the wall, let the Xenos in

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Yeah, Chris EVANS not only hates Trump, his uncle was a Democratic congressman from Massachusetts for 20 years. Hemsworth hasn't been as vocally anti-Trump, but then he is Australian.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

kartikeya posted:

Edit: actually, how about a bit more fun, since Covid deaths were brought up. Guess how many homeless people tend to be mentally ill? Roughly a third. Guess why there are so many homeless folks with mental illness? Because they either have no access to treatment, won't get treatment, are not in a position to be able to or even know that they need treatment, and actually it turns out it's pretty hard to get effective treatment when you're homeless anyway, and besides that very few people have the care and the resources to try to help them. Guess how many people who are homeless have died from covid? That last is a trick question, because no one knows, because no one has been able to or bothered to find out.

Bonus round: Approximately how many people in jail or prison are mentally ill?
I actually question substantially the cited number of homeless, mentally ill people. I work with the homeless and I believe that 1/3 is a massive underestimate. I've seen studies even in Canada where they're citing around that, and I cannot square that with the experience of my patients; homelessness is a distinctly soul crushing experience and will lead to significant depression and anxiety symptoms in just about everyone. I dunno, maybe 1/3 of my patients are actively psychotic at any given time, and of course mental illness spans a much broader range of issues than that.

Anyhow, Freepers' problems is that they're uniformly assholes. Some of them may be mentally ill too, but that's immaterial.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Twelve by Pies posted:

"I beat up a horse" is a weird brag for being manly that I haven't seen before.
Blazing Saddles was a documentary

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

quote:

To: HollyB
The firing, ostracizing, arresting you cite, causing HCL and Ivermectin to practically disappear from the medical scene

I mean, I would certainly hope we'd got HCl to disappear from the medical scene. A large part of gastroenterology is trying to reduce the amount of hydrochloric acid your stomach makes.

Side note, JAMA has online records dating back over a century, including this fantastic abstract from 1898: THE PLACE OF HYDROCHLORIC ACID IN THE TREATMENT OF DISEASES OF THE STOMACH. Goddamn, old-timey medicine was terrible!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Admiralty Flag posted:

They're probably talking about Hydroxychloroquine when they say HCL, I'm guessing. Unless :thejoke:?
Yeah, that's the joke - hydroxychloroquine is usually abbreviated HCQ. I would not put it past Freepers to attempt to pickle themselves with hydrochloric acid, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Deuce posted:

ok "Hamascide" is actually pretty good.
I was gonna post a link to 999's "Homicide" but apparently if you do that now it puts video tags around the link? And I had thought we weren't allowed to do that.

So just pretend I linked that song 'cause it's a banger.

vvv Well then, edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMlpqOsc2BU

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 9, 2024