Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Sanguinia posted:

There is a pervasive myth that undocumented immigrants get free health care which our taxes pay for by showing up at hospitals and then sneaking out before the bill is paid, which is nonsense for a hundred reasons.

I mean, is that not true of all people in the US without health insurance? I was under the impression that the way it works over there is that if you need preventative care, you're poo poo out of luck, but if you show up at the ER requiring immediate intervention for something that could have been fixed six months ago, there's a duty of care and then that cost just gets passed on to patients who can actually pay (but universal healthcare bad, because you'd end up paying for other people's healthcare, as opposed to now, where you effectively pay for other people's healthcare every time someone requires emergency treatment or defaults on their medical debt).

e: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I thought Pat Robertson died in the Obama years. I must have been thinking of his fat friend.

Jerry Falwell was the one where Hitchens showed up on tv a day after he passed with the eulogy, "if they'd only given him an enema before he died, they could have buried him in a matchbox"

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Tony Phillips posted:

Shiiiiit.

I had no idea who The Weeknd was prior to finally watching Uncut Gems a few months back and this is the closest I've ever felt to being a freeper.

Feels bad, man.

I mean, did you get offended by his existence, though?

It's not Boomer and indeed fairly normal to age out of knowing every contemporary pop act by name, it's extremely Boomer to feel personally slighted by that fact and to decry it as a failing of the youth

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I absolutely love the accusation of "booger-eating" nestled comfortably between claims of both treason and child abuse

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Scratch Monkey posted:

Hahah... "Stephen Hawking was just a charity case who got famous because of his disability" is a new, very hot take for me

To give freepers their due, I've heard similar things re: Hawking from physics talking heads (although less insane). Hawking was a very talented and accomplished physicist who did meaningful and groundbreaking work, but he's not anywhere near making the G.O.A.T. list of math dudes who dress like there's been a flood recently. A lot of his public fame outside of the physics world was due to him having a historic position at Cambridge, being a pioneer for disabled people with augmented communication requirements, and in particular in being able to write and communicate to a lay audience in a way that a lot of able-bodied physicists wouldn't have a hope in hell with.

Of course, that doesn't make it any less stupid to write off a published paper on the basis of, "well, he's not Niels Bohr, now, is he?", because that's not how science works, that's not how science works at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The fundamental problem with the GOP is that people who would consider doing this don't generally win GOP primaries any more, and certainly not Presidential ones in the wake of Trump.

Also, my understanding is that the GOP banged that drum as hard as they can since Reagan, to the point that by Bush II what it actually meant was increasing the deficit in order to give minor tax cuts

I'd suspect that there's a point of diminishing returns, where the average suburbanite likes the idea of "LOW TAX IS MY MIDDLE NAME" for obvious reasons, but they don't actually want to live in a Libertarian Bear Town where you have to educate your own horrid children all day