Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

How are u posted:

Somehow, I am not sure exactly, but somehow we lost a ton of lesser Vampires and 3 Vampire Lords. I really don’t know what happened because we show 2 positive candles on Solam, but it did and we lost a lot of vamps. That sucks.

Oh I know this one.

It's a turn order thing. Before any fights happen the game adjudicates units preaching up candles, THEN the fights happen THEN the game checks normal domspread. He probably had some dudes preaching in there that opened the window for FINAL DEATH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

It has always been my kokoro wish that the wound heart for being diseased was a different color. Because lordy I would love to be able to know at a glance the game cast Doom on one of my units.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Pan really should have cast howl.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ardeem posted:

I'm curious about that Pan that Man lost. Did he get charmed mid-battle?

Yeah. He didn't lose them either, he gained them. Hence the negative loss.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

I'm seeing a potential minor flaw in this plan. Anyone else notice it? :v:

Though it does depend on just how much attention Pan is paying to their dryad scripting and how many gems they're loaded with.

It's a pretty good counter-thug to Dryads. By this point you can probably just throw a mass at the problem and hope some of them get through to the juicy targets. Not really ideal though.

The maggot spell is not very good at all, and if you are putting boosters on your dryad assassin you're probably putting too much effort and should find another counter.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

My goal in equipping the lightly geared Bane Lord is simply to end up with an Undead/Demon commander who can survive Swarm-casting assassins. The Bane Lord is a tough guy on his own, with good HP and protection. The Shroud of the Battle Saint gives him Regeneration and Blood Vengeance courtesy of our Bless. The Charcoal Shield gives a Fire Shield effect that will ensure that all of the little insects summoned by Swarm will self-immolate, and what little damage they may do will be healed very quickly.

A Dryad on its own isn't a superb hand-to-hand combatant, so the Bane Lord can ignore the insects, walk across the battlefield, ignore the Dryad's Awe (because he's undead), and punch her to death.

Yeah. The Dryad is going to be in deep fatigue after two swarm castings and will be easily dunked.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I've seen the game duplicate thrones before, but I couldn't tell you why. Maybe they set more level 1 thrones than the game has so they doubled up on a few.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

Before we end this turn let’s talk a little about diplomacy. Things are shaking up in a big way. Bogarus’ player, Morrow, has come into some real world issues that are taking up his time and wants to step away from this game. One of the SA community’s better Dom4 players, Ramc, will likely be taking over the nation. Morrow hasn’t exactly been a terror in this game despite having a huge and powerful nation plus amazing discount sites and other things. No offense to Morrow, but he could have very possibly been sealing up his victory in this game by now. Ramc is an aggressive and extremely competent player, and so I think Bogarus is about to become very, very dangerous. I want to try to reach out to Pangaea and start up that anti-Bogarus alliance once again. With this new information, and with the departure of Morrow, I don’t really consider the secret anti-Pangaea defensive pact that we’d made to be in effect any more.

This could change everything, we’ll just have to see.

:kheldragar:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

Has Ramc ever lost a game? I remember reading about the meteoric rise and no fall

I do lose games. Just winning sometimes in a 12~ player per map game is considered pretty good though.

Lord Koth posted:

Ramc tried playing MA Ermor in a recent game. It didn't work out for him. :v:

:argh: Lord Koth and your Sea of Ice! :argh:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

SIGSEGV posted:

There was also the excerpts from, err, radioactive materials containment failure after action reports edited to include dominions and ramc.

"Chief engineer Nwabudike M. then used a fallen branch to push the dominions in a pothole and covered it using several stones."

Decrepus posted:

Being gifted a copy of dom4 is like finding a cursed item in dom4 irl.

quote:

At this time, the operator also notified the resident engineer of the contractor. They began to visit all of the personnel that had been working on the site that day. At 01:00 they arrived at Ramc's house. The survey meter they were using indicated high Dom4 levels as Ramc approached the door with Dom4 in his hands. Ramc was told to throw Dom4 into the street and then the radiographer put a stone over Dom4 and restricted access to the area. The resident engineer remained in the area to supervise Dom4 while the radiographer went to fetch equipment for recovering Dom4.

I am in other games still though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3568182&perpage=40&pagenumber=398#post470800781

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I actually have absolutely no idea how many pearls were used in the casting of that global. It was already slotted to cast when I got the turn. I didn't veto it of course...

Ramc
May 4, 2008

My first turn wasn't even complete too. Dominions 4 has a very interesting 'feature' where if you have a partial turn, and are the last dude with a partial turn, then log in to your turn it submits your turn as if it was done. I was kind of doing it piecemeal because I was, if I remember correctly, in the endgame of another game and also more or less on vacation with intermittent internet at the time.

Extremely good game.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

Would it make sense to horror seed yourself, too, to have plausible deniability? Or even frame someone by seeding everyone (including yourself) except them? You know it's coming so just hit some worthless units and quarantine them.

Just in general, I mean, not this specific game.

Not really. Other people wouldn't really be able to tell.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Um, are you aware that you just sold The Might of Zionism's soul? :colbert:

I like to imagine would-be Pantokrators doing all of these terrible short sighted things- selling their soul, casting burden of time, raining lightning down on the world in an increasingly panicked and desperate fit. "I'LL FIX IT LATER." "sir all our troops are frozen beneath the sea-" IT WILL BE OKAY WHEN I AM GOD."

"sir the extra sun is killing all of our cro-" "SHUTTT UPPPPP"

Ramc
May 4, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah but he's managed to sell it to like 3 different devils, so even if he dies the custody suit could take literally forever.

Want to see that episode of People's Divorce Court.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

Can we get a clarification as to the nature of these goats? Are they normal, everyday eat-a-can goats or are they the goat demons that punch things?

Gath has a variety pack.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

quote:

[20:29] <Morrow> the astral and blood dudes were for big time spells
01[20:29] <Ramc> i also need to think of a global message to send once i take charge
[20:29] <Morrow> I think either could do the astral blood stuff, I've got enough boosters
01[20:29] <Ramc> with your gem piles you can do anything
01[20:29] <Ramc> geez
[20:29] <Morrow> There's a lot of gate cleavers and supply cauldrons floating around commanders to support the sieges
[20:29] <Morrow> and lots of random magic items from events cluttering up the lab
[20:30] <Morrow> I'm trying to domkill ragha and mictlan because of their underwater provinces
[20:31] <Morrow> mictlan will die soon, unless Caelum is hiding some of their candles
06[20:31] * Ramc torn between stalin-ramc giving trotsky-morrow the boot, or a vince mcmahon IT WAS ME AUSTIN reveal
01[20:32] <Ramc> (this is the most important thing)

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The Throne of the Pantokrator is a lonely one. Maybe 's part of why they keep loving off.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

After they win they decide the world is so hosed its easier to just go run away to the void and get eaten by horrors than stick around and fix poo poo.

It's very easy for Pretender Gods to call for the repeal of Gift of Health, but once you become Pantokrator and everyone expects some sort of replacement you realize this is an actual job and you have to work for it.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

Ramc thinking:

Accurate.

I am still probably trying to figure out exactly what all he nonsense I could do was. I was basically clicking into random provinces and finding entire factories for weird rube goldberg setups that I tried to puzzle out. There is a difference between jumping right into a massive endgame nation and having done it since turn 1. "Oh a bane lord thug factory. Seems legit. Keep on keeping on."

I focused on a few areas and started empowering high-end casters to do shenanigans and crafting one of my favorite dom4 secret weapons. I was on vacation and also managing a second endgame game at the time so the true and terrible power of my 'tism was not yet unlocked.

As for Pan I pointed out I ate his face in those two fights but I see now he was a BAD FAITH FRIEND. Terrible! Sad!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

I'd like to hear about these weirdly set up factories, it reminds me of Dwarf Fortress succession LP's where at some point a player finds an unlabelled lever that kills whoever is working in a specific station but none of the previous players can remember how that actually got formed.

Not inaccurate.

EDIT:

quote:

[20:21] <Morrow> that site is my blood/summons factory, with the vamps
[20:21] <Morrow> I'm producing vamps now and also a bane lord every turn
01[20:21] <Ramc> probs ok!
[20:21] <Morrow> who i outfit with a brand, vine shield, and flying boots
01[20:22] <Ramc> are you just turning them into an army of commanders
[20:22] <Morrow> sure why not

Ramc fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 8, 2017

Ramc
May 4, 2008

You are definitely going to see some poo poo before this all done.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ha ha ha! Yes! YES!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

Clever. Will Ramc get any kind of notification that this happened, or will the Dominions UI just sort of be like "yeah, your guy doesn't do the thing" next time the golem's in a battle, and then Ramc has to comb through the scripts, stats and equipment screens to figure out why?

You get some sort of '[item] disappears in a puff of smoke' notice.

Lord Koth posted:

I wonder if Ramc is having some pearl issues, or is just trying to make multiple enslaving golems, because replacing the Crystal Coin with a Ring of Sorcery and/or empowering it in Astral once more in order to replace the Dimensional Rod with a Rune Smasher would make it even more effective.

Also a Ring of Sorcery is actually cheaper to forge than a Ring of Wizardry, along with requiring less of the exact same path and less gems, so I'm idly curious why the golem is wearing the more expensive one and not the other.

It isn't a pearl issue. Morrow had an obscene number of gems lying around in general and I never wanted for them. The only real limiting factor was the attention I could give the game without going insane. The issue here was Mage Turns. Empowering the golem in S would have been easy, but it would have taken a turn, and I needed him destroying sieges asap. The Sorcery Ring I just had lying around in my lab. I had to make the golem from scratch.

Other random thoughts- Beckoning isn't great but has some corner case uses. If your enemy is relying on communicants it can mess them up. Melancholia also is good because it reduces candles in the province. It's expensive to cast, but if you are trying to domkill a dude or mitigate dom spread it is an option. Usually too expensive to be worth it to be fair.

As for the firebirds, while there were a lot of them in a few provinces, Morrow had not gone hog wild like I probably would have.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Voyager I posted:

Losing the armor of Virtue is going to be pretty dicey. With it the Golem can basically just suicide bomb and kill 1/4th of an army every turn without being in real danger, but if it gets the armor of virtue stolen in the middle of a turn it will likely die for good.

If you do not have the Armor of Virtue but want to make your own Mass Enslave Golem you can sort of hack it by having the golem cast Ritual of Returning. But that adds another precious turn to prime the escape route.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Tulip posted:

So I've played like 2 games of Dom3, but here's what it looked like happened in Fas Dir to me:

There's a limit to the minimum number of troops required for scripting to actually fire, to prevent Mass Enslave/Earthquake traps from being sprung by single scouts. You lost all your lesser vampires, and attacked with what, 8 vampire lords? That failed to break over the minimum for scripting to kick in, so the Astrapelagists all went off script.

Yeah they will communion up regardless. I probably just forgot to script the research stack. There are so many piles of wizards in every province. If I was scripting anything it would have been a thunder strike communion or air elemental spam.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Voyager I posted:

The catching point in this case is that you won't know the armor has been stolen until after the turn resolves. Hope he managed to pull off another win!

:ohdear:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Even though a Golem can accrue insanity, I don't think it can ever trigger on it because it is a Mindless unit.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

That golem trick looks ridiculously effective. Is there any real counter other than "use units with high magic resistance, moron."? And is there any reason that not EVERYONE has a half dozen of those guys hanging around to effortlessly wipe the floor with large enemy armies? The pure expense of crafting a similar tough dude? Even without the unique Armor of Virtue, it seems to be doing pretty well.

They are extremely pearl and mage turn intensive to get rolling.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Apocron posted:

Why haven't we seen more enslave golems from Ramc yet? Does it take a few turns to make one? Will Howareyou get his own enslave golems? Will the whole world be chewed up by armies enslaving each other?

A golem costs a chunk of pearls to create and is made with 2 pips of astral magic (S2 for short). You can get +2 astral pips relatively simply from cheap items- the starshine skullcap and the crystal coin which are like 10 and 20 gems respectively. You can make a fake +1 astral sort of with a crystal shield because it gives that aforementioned boost first round. That only puts you at 5S effectively though. Construction 8 dimensional wand is good because you get a cheap, but unique, +1S booster. If you have a sorcery ring kicking around that is another +1S but costs like 70 pearls or something. Anything beyond that you are empowering the golem in astral to make up the differences you couldn't swing and that gets spendy and each empowerment takes a turn.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I ride bikes all day posted:

What is the effective level of the Golem's S magic vs Duel? Do all those boosters count?

It probably doesn't matter because he teleported into your attack and is going first.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ramc posted:

Even though a Golem can accrue insanity, I don't think it can ever trigger on it because it is a Mindless unit.

Fun update from a different game, a Golem with insanity can totally have it trigger. It doesn't matter though because literally the only other non-AI player is howareu and he has 3 provinces to my like 100+ 50Kgp nightmare zone land where -I- have the pantokrator throne. ITS ME THIS TIME HOWAREU! I HAVE IT!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Flavius Belisarius posted:

That spell is ridiculous. I don't understand why everyone isn't just racing towards that all the time.

If you have the pearl income, and the paths to make golems, it is never a bad idea. There is a big research investment though.

(That said I have mass enslave golems in 2 or 3 games right now.)

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Coolguye posted:

because getting someone to the point of being able to cast it is really, really hard. it took a mo money game just to see it happen ONCE, forget the idea of having it happen multiple times in normal games. it's also very vulnerable in many situations, high magic resistance would have it burning it's One Weird Trick and wasting all of that mammoth investment. a couple of bane lords with magic resist gear would be able to plow through many vanguard armies and would disassemble that golem.

That is why you give the golem the Armor of Virtue or have it cast ritual of returning. So that if some hero gets through the golem- and all that investment- goes back home to teleport into the next shitshow at leisure.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

That's not much better :colbert:

I don't trust bug and worm collectives to run a world government. I just don't. Maybe if it were a vermin pile, like rats and squirrels and rabbit and weasels and poo poo, I would be more open to the idea.

Be the change you want to see.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

S mages are maybe the absolute worst off-script dudes, especially in assassinations. 'do i enslave or slay soul this dude? naw dogg better cast luck'

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Normally dumb spell Stream of Life killed a Mockery.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I appreciate that Solar Brilliance trumps Darkness. Pity about the candles making those vampire deaths sort of meaningless in the long run. But in momoney the loss of units is sort of an 'oh well'.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

twig1919 posted:

Evocattions like lightning strike that do high damage and fatigue? Stellar cascades for fatigue damage?

Poison and magic weapons too, I suppose. Best bet, especially with communions, is to cripple the communion casting it before they can get it off. I am pretty sure with 12 of the 20 communion wizards in that fort dead the odds of being able to cast another one are poor for next round.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

From what I'm hearing, most people's focus when they want to get the appropriate paths on a mage is gear. Empowering seems pretty rare. Is there any case where empowering is a superior choice? Or is it always less economical(both because it costs more and because while the gear can be recycled if the owner dies, it's otherwise a lost pile of gems with an empowered caster)?

You usually want to use as much forged equipment as you can, yes. Empowering is for when you run out of items to make or slots to fill because it is way more expensive and non-transferrable as you said.

EDIT: sometimes you summon a wizard who has paths and transfer the swag to him. This is common for water boosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

A lot of these conflicts seem pretty much decided from day one by the preparation that one or the other of the participants made long before the battle ever happened.

How often does someone in a Dom4 game actually manage an upset via clever strategy once they've been put on the back foot?

Depending on the throne point settings you can sometimes snake a victory even if you aren't the leader in other respects. I've done this a few times when the ostensible game leader would have taken me out in a protracted battle.

• Locked thread